EyesOfAJackal
10-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Music: Dinosaur Jr. Leader Says He Nearly Joined Nirvana Twice
J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr
BY ROLLING STONE
OCTOBER 4, 2012 | 1:30PM EDT

Full Size Image
Ferdaus Shamim/WireImage

In a recent interview with Spin, Dinosaur Jr.** frontman and shred wizard J Mascis confirmed long-circulating rumors that Kurt Cobain had asked him to join Nirvana. In fact, Mascis said, it happened twice.

The first instance occurred during a conversation between Mascis, Cobain and Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore following a Nirvana show at Maxwell's in Hoboken, New Jersey, on June 13th, 1989 (just two days before they released their debut LP, Bleach). "Kurt said, 'you should join my band,'" Mascis recalls. "I think he was sick of the guy Jason [Everman] who was in the band at the time, and thought I should play guitar. I didn't think much about it."

Mascis says Cobain also considered him for "Sliver," a song Nirvana released in 1990. "Later, there was also talk of playing drums on a single they were doing, but it ended up being [Mudhoney drummer] Dan Peters."

Nirvana wasn't the only group that thought about adding Mascis to its roster. Built to Spill leader Doug Martsch also sought out Mascis to play drums on the group's 1997 record Perfect From Now. Martsch found himself without a band after singing to Warner Bros., and was considering playing all the instruments with backing on drums from Mascis, who started as a drummer in the western Massachusetts hardcore band Deep Wound.

"He was willing to do it, but then I kinda decided it wouldn't be a good idea," Martsch remembers. "I felt like I needed to work with someone who I could really work with a little more, you know? I didn't know how we could work together, I had no idea and I didn't want to get started on something like that. I didn't want to be telling J Mascis what to play on drums. I wanted to find someone I felt comfortable really expressing myself with. But there was a moment where he was almost the drummer on that record."

I wonder of Billy would have tried to steal him from Kurt also

http://m.rollingstone.com/v/News/MusicDinosaurJrLeade/?KSID=55469b9c10f3f601df35ee007fa045d5

Trotskilicious
10-05-2012, 04:03 PM
um no because see the reason kurt wanted to do this is because he was a punk guy that could barely play his instrument but he also liked big solos so he would have liked to add j to give some dynamism. honestly i think it would have worked fairly well for maybe one album but i don't think j would like just being in the backseat or in a megaband

bill wouldn't even need or want another lead guitarist...

redbreegull
10-05-2012, 04:25 PM
yeah, Mascis would seem too much like competition for BoCo

Trotskilicious
10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
how many bands have two leads

MusicMan4
10-05-2012, 04:56 PM
television and sonic youth

MusicMan4
10-05-2012, 04:57 PM
and thin lizzy :smoke: