View Full Version : • New interview with James Iha •

amoergosum
09-25-2012, 06:14 PM
In August 2003, you were talking about similarities between A Perfect Circle and the Pumpkins. With regards to the Pumpkins, you said, “We were a great band. I have no idea if we’ll ever get back together.” Then, five years later, Corgan revived the name, and he said that he opened the door for you but that you said you didn’t want to come back. I’m just asking what stopped you from returning…

The quote from five years ago… I was never approached by the band or Billy about returning to the band. That never happened. The Perfect Circle quote, I don’t know the context or what the question was. It’s hard to say without reading the interview. I imagine I was talking about how both of the bands have a heaviness, that big sound, and there’s a lot of drama in the music. I don’t know why I said I don’t know if it’ll ever happen.

Source:
http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/09/interview-james-iha/

Video proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtQbGmYslJg&t=0m38s

great poster
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
not surprised

Rairun
09-25-2012, 06:23 PM
He thinks Blew Away is Said Sadly.

pale_princess
09-25-2012, 06:25 PM
so james confirms what most of us with a brain have assumed all along. :banging:

VoxUpDoc
09-25-2012, 07:01 PM
The more I hear of this "Billy Corgan" character, the less I like.

Still, you've got to admire all the great music he's been making without James Iha holding him back!

Can we now officially accept that maybe David Pajo wasn't an awful person either? There is one common denominator, people.

Pizza Club
09-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I thought it was lawyers contacting each other's lawyers or something. This isn't that surprising though.

reprise85
09-25-2012, 07:08 PM
ceased to care a while ago

vixnix
09-25-2012, 07:22 PM
So was the full page ad in what was it, the tribune, the offer? Wasn't James probably reading the ny times or something by then anyway lol. What a communication breakdown.

pale_princess
09-25-2012, 07:45 PM
whining about how "I WANT MY BAND BACK AND MY DREEEEEAAAAMMMZ" in an advertisement isn't the same thing as actually approaching james to have a conversation where he would be asked whether or not he would be interested in joining bill in shitting all over the legacy they had previously built.

stumpycat
09-25-2012, 10:15 PM
whining about how "I WANT MY BAND BACK AND MY DREEEEEAAAAMMMZ" in an advertisement isn't the same thing as actually approaching james to have a conversation where he would be asked whether or not he would be interested in joining bill in shitting all over the legacy they had previously built.

No, approaching someone for a conversation is what an adult would do. Never contacting someone (but saying that you did) and then placing a histrionic, attention-seeking plea in a public place where everyone but the audience whom you are deliberately avoiding would see it is something that an adolescent boy would do. I've always maintained that he never made it past that stage of social/emotional development...

killtrocity
09-25-2012, 10:55 PM
If James had rejoined though /i truly believe they wouldn't have shit all over their legacy. That woulda been fuckin sweet.

iPumpkin
09-25-2012, 11:11 PM
If James had rejoined though /i truly believe they wouldn't have shit all over their legacy. That woulda been fuckin sweet.

I could care less about their legacy, I liked the fact that James kept Bill in a constant state of discomfort and it pushed Bill to put out top notch shit. Darcy as well. Can you imagine if she was still alive her reaction to Teargardens and the Infinite Sadness?

pale_princess
09-25-2012, 11:14 PM
No, approaching someone for a conversation is what an adult would do. Never contacting someone (but saying that you did) and then placing a histrionic, attention-seeking plea in a public place where everyone but the audience whom you are deliberately avoiding would see it is something that an adolescent boy would do. I've always maintained that he never made it past that stage of social/emotional development...

i like the cut of your jib

iPumpkin
09-25-2012, 11:24 PM

Maybe James is lying.

killtrocity
09-25-2012, 11:33 PM
wait is darcy actually dead? I can't remember

Reyngel
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Explains why every time someone asked Billy about if he contacted James, he looked so uncomfortable about answering and passed it off with an indirect yes, but with a hint of "But I mean..." at the end.

Fuckin liar, Billy. Why not just say you didn't want James.

EyesOfAJackal
09-25-2012, 11:51 PM
He did want James, but he thought James owed it to him to initiate contact, not the other way around.

Trotskilicious
09-25-2012, 11:59 PM
itt: people analyze things that happen between two people they don't know

pale_princess
09-26-2012, 12:14 AM
it's the only thing that keeps me coming to the sp board :blush:

Butt Pope
09-26-2012, 12:46 AM
wait is darcy actually dead? I can't remember

yup :(

pavementtune
09-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Not funny.
But when I saw her mug shot, I wondered why she hadn't broken her neck. Riding a horse on meth can't be a good combination.

stumpycat
09-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Maybe James is lying.
Yeah, maybe. But it seems a bit unlikely as there would not seem to be nearly as much motivation for him to do so as there would for Billy. I mean, he seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't have much problem simply saying that he had moved on with life (read: tactful way of saying I've found my existence outside the shadow of b0lly the megalomaniac satisfying enough for now thank you) if that was indeed the reason. But it sounds like he never got the opportunity to deliver that retort as it was rendered unnecessary by not really having been seriously asked back in the first place.

Starla
09-26-2012, 01:39 AM
I love James. Always have, always will...

SlingeroGuitaro
09-26-2012, 02:06 AM
But James is a horrible human being and a piece of shit.

Esty
09-26-2012, 02:08 AM
so james confirms what most of us with a brain have assumed all along. :banging:

I believe he mentioned this when the "band" got back together in a small rolling stones interview. Anyway, I knew it all along with the way Bill and Jims always answered the question.

Yup

Maybe James is lying.

Thats always a possibility. However, we all know for sure that you're an idiot. It's true, its damn true.

This is netphoria. You're supposed to talk shit you know nothing about and your opinion is always the best one. Isn't that how you operate?

amoergosum
09-26-2012, 03:21 AM
Video proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtQbGmYslJg&t=0m38s

>>>

Eyes Up and Left (1st person up-right) - Looking up and to the left allows someone to access the visual part of their imagination. This person is constructing a picture in their head. If you ask someone to imagine a green sky with red clouds they should look up and to the left.

Source:
http://EzineArticles.com/802751

LALA_PUMPKIN
09-26-2012, 05:17 AM
who cares?

themadcaplaughs
09-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Still believe that Billy was lying about really asking James back, but even James has changed his story before...

The Pioneer Press spoke with Chicago native [James] Iha — he is a graduate of Elk Grove Village High School — best known for his work with the ’90s alt-powerhouse Pumpkins. Iha now lives in New York but, he says, “I still come back to Chicago to eat pizza.” While reluctant to talk about his days with the Pumpkins or the band’s recent reunion, which didn’t ******* him, he confirms he was indeed asked by Corgan to reunite with the band but declined. “I’m not really answering too many questions about the Pumpkins just because I don’t wanna make it a thing about that,” he says. “I just want to keep it positive as far as being proud of what we accomplished while I was in the band.”

Pizza Club
09-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Still believe that Billy was lying about really asking James back, but even James has changed his story before...

Oh snap. James can't remember what his own songs are called either. This band is so confusing.

amoergosum
09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
I would have liked to see the original quote and not just "...he confirms he was indeed asked by Corgan to reunite with the band but declined." .
So he was probably referring to Billy's newspaper advertisement.

Rider
09-26-2012, 10:41 AM

There is no actual quote in that article about the reunion though, just an inference and then a quote which contradicts the inference made by the author.

emotionalfriend
09-26-2012, 10:53 AM

^ The only response to this thread that has any merit

amoergosum
09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Case is closed in my opinion...Iha's latest quote and Billy's look to the upper right when he answered the question in the video clip =
Billy lied about it.

reprise85
09-26-2012, 12:35 PM
well just because you're constructing a picture doesn't mean you're lying. some people are visual enough to construct pictures for everything they are mulling about, you know.

he's prob lying though, yeah. but who the fuck knows.

amoergosum
09-26-2012, 12:50 PM
well just because you're constructing a picture doesn't mean you're lying. some people are visual enough to construct pictures for everything they are mulling about, you know.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cd7tEsAuspA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

reprise85
09-26-2012, 12:58 PM
;)

when i think of the past i definitely go up and left though

reprise85
09-26-2012, 12:59 PM
it's just dumb to use his eye movement as some sort of "proof"

amoergosum
09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
it's just dumb to use his eye movement as some sort of "proof"

It's not proof of course but an indication...whatever...

LALA_PUMPKIN
09-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Case is closed in my opinion...Iha's latest quote and Billy's look to the upper right when he answered the question in the video clip =
Billy lied about it.

nice work Sherlock! thanks for cracking this tough case for us fools!

ping-ping
09-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Forget the he said-he said shit. I'm so annoyed that James doesn't know the titles of his own goddamned songs!

I'll give him a senior moment pass.

D.
09-26-2012, 11:57 PM
i burned if all goes wrong onto dvd from netflix and i still haven't watched it.

:erm:

Monet LSD
09-27-2012, 12:04 AM
I was never approached by the band or Billy about returning to the band. That never happened.

That's really fucked up.

amoergosum
09-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Hey Monte,
are you gonna write something about this interview on crestfallen...;) ?

LalaPumpkinhead
09-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Hey Monte,
are you gonna write something about this interview on crestfallen...;) ?

why do you care?

amoergosum
09-27-2012, 04:06 AM
So you just got banned and created another account...pathetic.

LalaPumpkinhead
09-27-2012, 04:18 AM
So you just got banned and created another account...pathetic.

you worry about a fan blog of a mormon SP fan ... pathetic

amoergosum
09-27-2012, 04:46 AM
you worry about a fan blog of a mormon SP fan ... pathetic

Isn't it pathetic that you took that post seriously...;) ?

LalaPumpkinhead
09-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Isn't it pathetic that you took that post seriously...;) ?

now this is a level of conversation that is low even for this shit forum

Trotskilicious
09-27-2012, 07:53 AM
i'd delete your posts but the council of freedom frowns on that

LalaPumpkinhead
09-27-2012, 07:56 AM
i'd delete your posts but the council of freedom frowns on that

can't we just get along? i am sure in real life we would be bff's.

Trotskilicious
09-27-2012, 08:05 AM
perhaps even booty boys

Grox
09-27-2012, 08:59 AM
this guy types better than monte

Grox
09-27-2012, 09:07 AM
id bet 1000 bux that the original four, or atleast jimmy and james, will be back by 2020

Trotskilicious
09-27-2012, 09:36 AM
i think it's far more likely that the entire world economy will crater by 2020 and a smashing pumpkins reunion will be the least of our concerns

stripes
09-27-2012, 06:57 PM
i'll bet it won't, you pussy!!

Copperpot5
10-07-2012, 03:53 PM
From 10/5:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbnZyJLIkEw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbnZyJLIkEw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

T&T
10-07-2012, 04:25 PM
James rolling his eyes at the guitar solo @ 3:24
he just hates everything. haha.

iPumpkin
10-07-2012, 05:15 PM
From 10/5:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbnZyJLIkEw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HbnZyJLIkEw?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Is he on methadone?

ping-ping
10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
From 10/5:

I apologize for the back of my head blocking your shot for the entire. fucking. video. Jesus. Thanks for sharing. My camera died right before the show.

great poster
10-07-2012, 09:13 PM
very boring performance.

TheAeroplane
10-08-2012, 12:22 AM
i am one of the few pumpkins fans who think the smashing pumpkins are billy, james, jimmy and d'arcy... right now it's billy + some musicians playing SP songs, here comes the hate...

ping-ping
10-08-2012, 01:41 AM
very boring performance.

He's a grower, not a shower. This doesn't apply to his crotch btw.

subzero
10-08-2012, 02:02 AM
kinda outta tune at times too

Gish08
10-08-2012, 02:25 AM
what a dick. just say you can't tolerate working with James anymore and get on with it Billy.

Slurpee
10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
I apologize for the back of my head blocking your shot for the entire. fucking. video. Jesus. Thanks for sharing. My camera died right before the show.

If only you'd filmed the keyboards at all, you would have seen MY fat head blocking the shot for a while.

Grox
10-08-2012, 10:59 PM
james sucks

amoergosum
10-09-2012, 12:37 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y-e7uDNQKjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Grox
10-09-2012, 12:58 PM
yep...he sucks

T&T
10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
i'm not even going to bother listening to that clip then.

samuel redman
10-09-2012, 05:02 PM
i was at that show, it was a good time. i went to shake James' hand before the show and he was so against it that he took my hand with two of his fingers and moved his wrist for a second before quickly leaving the room. it was excellent

reprise85
10-09-2012, 09:07 PM
he sounds like a dick and his voice sucks

D.
10-09-2012, 10:15 PM
i was at that show, it was a good time. i went to shake James' hand before the show and he was so against it that he took my hand with two of his fingers and moved his wrist for a second before quickly leaving the room. it was excellent
did he look like he would ever have been in the mood for a pic?

i;m going to chicago to see him in november at a really small venue and i'd love to get a trifecta (of pics - i have billy and jimmy)

samuel redman
10-09-2012, 11:49 PM
he looked disgusted at anyone who attempted to try to talk with him, but im sure he would have done it had i asked for an autograph or picture

his on stage banter is still excellent. something something cheese in a beer bottle

samuel redman
10-09-2012, 11:49 PM
he sounds like a dick and his voice sucks

nah

Christian Noir
10-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Din't Billy "approach" James with a full page ad in Chicago?

Not exactly a personal approach.. I guess Billy has his own "style"

amoergosum
10-12-2012, 03:37 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c6oBWWVM8-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VoxUpDoc
10-12-2012, 06:13 PM
james sucks

Could you post this in every thread on Netphoria? People need to know whether you think James sucks or not.

reprise85
10-13-2012, 12:51 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c6oBWWVM8-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what the fuck i thought my sister made this game up when we were kids

ping-ping
10-13-2012, 01:03 AM

aaaaaaaaaaahahaha

This is why I will have to be wasted out of my gat-damned mind before I ever try to talk to that dude. He seems cool if he initiates contact but if he doesn't he'll "awww hell no" you/ruin your pictures by scowling in them. James is a top.