View Full Version : Billy Corgan • 2012-08-19 interview

amoergosum
08-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Pretty decent interview >>>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cjXB6QC3sYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

amoergosum
08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
...talking about Zwan >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjXB6QC3sYg#t=24m8s

...talking about when he should have left SP >>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjXB6QC3sYg#t=20m12s

amoergosum
08-20-2012, 03:52 PM
The date is wrong. It's an interview from 2011 >>>

Billy Corgan spoke with Matt Everitt on the radio show “The First Time With…” in November 2011. Billy discussed his early musical influences, the psychology behind the Smashing Pumpkins, the reissues campaign, David Bowie and Zwan. Originally broadcasted on August 19th, 2012.

Source:
http://bystarlight.org/interviews/billy-corgan-bbc6-radio-august-2012/

pavementtune
08-20-2012, 08:59 PM
"I remember when I was 2 years old I..." - he has an amazing memory...

Rider
08-20-2012, 09:18 PM
He can't just say they didn't get along it has to be some weird swipe at character "They were more obsessed what people in New York and LA thought of them." I thought it was their work ethic and drugs, that's what he said for 10 years, now that he has 65 tracks to release it's "We got a lot of work done in a short amount of time because they were great musicians."

Also if it's all about work and getting work done how come his least productive has been whenever he is alone and/or in total control.

bunny
08-21-2012, 01:15 AM
maybe the work ethic faded after they had a ton of stuff in the can, the money was coming in and they didn't give a shit anymore about being good musicians... they just wanted to coast

they're playing a festival where the sound is crap, you've got a 8:00 slot, no one is listening, so who fucking cares...
billy has a break down because he's not used to being in control and there's the end of the tour.

Trotskilicious
08-21-2012, 01:23 AM
i'm listening at 8 pm, you suck

amoergosum
08-21-2012, 02:47 AM
He can't just say they didn't get along it has to be some weird swipe at character "They were more obsessed what people in New York and LA thought of them." I thought it was their work ethic and drugs, that's what he said for 10 years, now that he has 65 tracks to release it's "We got a lot of work done in a short amount of time because they were great musicians."

Also if it's all about work and getting work done how come his least productive has been whenever he is alone and/or in total control.

Exactly.
No matter how much he hates these guys, he knows how great Zwan was, he knows how great many of the 65 unreleased songs are. You're right....in order to promote it, Billy won't continue to say what the real reason was >>>

On April 24, 2005 in the Chicago Tribune, Corgan commented briefly on the breakup of the band: "The music wasn't the big problem, it was more their attitude... Sex acts between band members in public. People carrying drugs across borders. Pajo sleeping with the producer's girlfriend while we were making the record."

In the May 27, 2005 edition of Entertainment Weekly, Corgan elaborated on his version of what went wrong:
“Sex and drugs and junk. Tick off the list: heroin, band members having relationships...You don't trust the person next to you. I'm on the bus. I send an email to somebody and I throw my BlackBerry in my little day bag. The next day, my ex-girlfriend calls me screaming. Somebody in the group went into my BlackBerry and forwarded her an e-mail that another girl sends me. I mean, that's the kind of stuff we were dealing with. ”

Pajo denied Corgan's accusations in the same article. "Pretty much everything that he said has been exaggerated and blown out of proportion," he said. "The drug stuff in particular. I know there was no heroin." Adds Lenchantin, "I believe that we were a really good team. I am moving on and onward. I hope that our paths will meet again in peace."

In the same Entertainment Weekly article, Corgan disclosed that things went wrong at some of the very first recording sessions. "...it was like, 'What do you mean the guitar's out of tune? What do you mean I have to be there at 11? What do you mean I can't order $100 of lobster every day?' I mean, like, bad. But it was too late. It was already public. The album was going out. So I did what I always did: Try to make the best of a situation and start covering up. Put on a good face. And honestly, I'm glad the thing didn't sell, because if it had sold well it would have been really tough. I would look like I was going to walk away from something that I'd just built."

He also stated that he can no longer listen to Mary Star of the Sea, because to him it sounds like "thousands of lies upon lies upon lies. It's a shame because there's tons of music unreleased that will just sit in a box until I can stomach it." When asked which of his two former bands would ever reform, he said, "Pumpkins. You'll never see Zwan. I'll never go anywhere near those people. Ever. I mean, I detest them. You can put that in capital letters. Bad people. James and D'Arcy are good people. They might be misguided people, but they're good people."

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwan

Rider
08-21-2012, 03:09 AM
maybe the work ethic faded after they had a ton of stuff in the can, the money was coming in and they didn't give a shit anymore about being good musicians... they just wanted to coast

they're playing a festival where the sound is crap, you've got a 8:00 slot, no one is listening, so who fucking cares...
billy has a break down because he's not used to being in control and there's the end of the tour.

If you ask the members apparently a big part of the problem was the money never rolled in. You also noticed how Billy says HE owns all of it. Billy being a dick with the contracts is the story you hear from the other members.

Reyngel
08-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Sometimes I think Billy is a little bi-polar. I totally believe the people in Zwan were shallow assholes just on board for a free ride, but wtf with him saying James is a good person and then trashing him lately... even though they haven't even spoken since 2000.

Trotskilicious
08-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Sometimes I think Billy is a little bi-polar.

sometimes, a little? pft.

bunny
08-21-2012, 07:10 PM
If you ask the members apparently a big part of the problem was the money never rolled in. You also noticed how Billy says HE owns all of it. Billy being a dick with the contracts is the story you hear from the other members.
offhand does anyone have the album credits handy?
what are the songwriting credits for the tracks that made the album?

band had 120 songs to choose from, recorded 65, only used ones that billy had 100% writing credit. < if this is the case, i guess they'd be cheesed.

Rider
08-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Songwriting credits on an album are meaningless. It's all whats in the contract.

soniclovenoize
08-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Rider is correct above, but to answer your question, the publishing rights are all to Corgan, except for Settle Down to Corgand & Paz; Ride a Black Swan and Jesus I to Corgan & Sweeny; and Mary Star of the Sea to all five of them.

As for actual percentages of songwriting credits, that's decided upon in contractual form--if you don't, it automatically defaults into 50/50. So its very plausible that even thought Settle Down is credited to Paz and Corgan, he could have written a song around her bassline and said "Oh, I did most of the creative songwriting Paz, I wrote 80%, you did 20%." If enough of this happens, Corgan could be perceived as a dickmuncher to his bandmates.

Also, I need to point out that when Corgan is saying he's getting the rights to the music back, I'm fairly certain he's talking about the sound recording rights, not the publishing rights to the songs. Unless he sold his stake originally, he would always retain that. It's the rights to own the actual sound recordings and the ability to distribute them, is what he's trying to obtain.

bunny
08-21-2012, 09:27 PM
thanks.
even if it is 50/50 for a few of the songs, it's still a big chunk of extra money compare to the rest of the band. i'm sure he's getting more then 50% on the shared titles anyways.

i'm surprised the label was only keeping the mechanical rights to the recordings for 10years.

but as for 'money rolling in', I assume the band was making decent money touring? I really doubt they would have stuck around as 'hired guns, fixed rate' payments like billy's doing now with the no-names he pulled out of baby cribs. (does anyone contest this? it's common knowledge that the band now is just a hired fix rate musician... obviously pays better then their other gigs, but no bigtime money to be made by anyone other then billy)
billy totally fronted the cash to get the band to buddy and hang out in the home studio... and then started docking their pay when the money was coming in - he probably acted like a Big-record label to them.