View Full Version : Since we've all heard Oceania in it's entirety; Studio vs. Live ~ What do you prefer?

sweetanthony
08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
If you have yet to hear the full album live, here it is: 8-2-12 show <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JqaKArj-_lM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/JqaKArj-_lM ~ it's not 10/10 audio, but its decent enough.

In the live setting, it seems very much a Jeff record. He's all over it, far from "rhythm" guitarist... his double "boi-oing" comment about Nicole was hilarious. The Chimera/Glissandra/Inkless is just pure guitar geek out and Billy and Jeff really kill it here. The only problem i had with the performance was the added drum part in Pinwheels. Second verse I believe, its not Bryne's fault, but it is just unnecessary. It doesnt ruin the song in its entirety, so its just a minor misstep in an overall strong interpretation of the entire album, in order, live... I say bravo.

Nicole's vocals actually sound eerily like D'arcy's here. Good, but a few slightly flat, not too high in the mix. It sounds like SP.

Past the Oceania debate, Soot & Stars is being played at a magnificent level. The highlight of the show for me. Disarm sounds fresh. And keep Space Oddity, but keep making it weirder, good shit.

I could do without Today, BWBW, TT, Zero, Ava... all sound tired and forced. XYU is even starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Overall, I hope they keep playing Oceania in full, across the entire US tour... shit, Wildflower was actually kinda listenable live, so who knows...

scottytheoneand
08-06-2012, 02:40 PM
it is interesting how much of the guitar work falls on Jeff. listening to the album my assumption was that billy played most of the leads. But live that's jeff, for instance, playing up front on Quasar.

based only on the handful of youtube recordings this year (and last year's tour) it does seem like the band is playing better together as time goes on. this year's live versions of Oceania tunes sound a lot better than last year's live versions.

2011 tour usb recordings sucked btw

scottytheoneand
08-06-2012, 02:41 PM
5 posts before somebody rips on mike's drumming

Green Eyes
08-06-2012, 03:05 PM
MIKE SUCKS

Trotskilicious
08-06-2012, 03:06 PM
ERMAHGERD OSHEANER

reprise85
08-06-2012, 03:42 PM
pretty much equal as far as i can tell

scottytheoneand
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
big orb is coll

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/306415_271110002993343_1612999204_n.jpg

amoergosum
08-06-2012, 03:48 PM
big orb is coll

It's only a matter of time, eh...:) >>>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RL9XRUS3Dn4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool As Ice Cream
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Since we've all heard Oceania in it's entirety; Studio vs. Live ~ What do you prefer?

If you have yet to hear the full album live, here it is: 8-2-12 show
you're assuming a lot of things there. all false.

subzero
08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
i prefer neither of them

iPumpkin
08-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I like how they have slowed the tempo of the 5 songs down from what they were playing last fall.

Vocals on Violet Rays are stellar for 2012 Bill.

houseofglass11
08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
It's the weakest material Corgan has ever written studio, live, or otherwise. How anyone can think that Oceania is better than Zeitgeist is beyond me.

houseofglass11
08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
How you balding poofters could surmise that all music be deemed equal is beyond me.

omoi
08-07-2012, 03:00 PM
The live show is a karaoke show. One thing I really liked about the Pumpkins was the live interpretations. But this new set is being played like a Coldplay set. And the drumming is terrible live. Shows how little actual live drums are on the record vs programmed drums.

pavementtune
08-07-2012, 07:37 PM
The live show is a karaoke show. One thing I really liked about the Pumpkins was the live interpretations. But this new set is being played like a Coldplay set. And the drumming is terrible live. Shows how little actual live drums are on the record vs programmed drums.

Is that so...Your post shows, that you haven't been to any Oceania gig, but you go along judging it as "Karaoke" and "Coldplay set", after watching a bit of crappy recording on youtube. You have a bright future as music journalist...

bunny
08-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Chimera. Glissandra, inkless & wildflowers still do absolutely nothing for me.
don't like them on the album, don't like them live. it's like cheap zwan.
his voice sounds strained after 40mins anyways, so that doesn't help either.

the other stuff I prefer on the album. live drums are poop. live voice is pushing it.

and I'm really not interested in EVER hearing SP2 sing any of the hits. big MEH.
soot and stars is a cool extra, and so is the bowie cover, but they're not super impressive.

Shallowed
08-08-2012, 06:28 AM
I tend to hate being around other people so being in close proximity to so many of them kind of brought it down for me.

teh b0lly!!1
08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
LOL you listened to oceania in its entirety?

subzero
08-08-2012, 08:20 AM
it almost put me to sleep at work the other day

brendo_91
08-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Nicole's vocals actually sound eerily like D'arcy's here. Good, but a few slightly flat, not too high in the mix. It sounds like SP.

Yeah man, she said she felt like her voice was about to break like a 13 year old boy the whole time - she's got a bit of a cold at the moment.

Wildflower and One Diamond One Heart were actually bearable live, but the bootleg is almost as intolerable as the album versions. Drumfail wasn't that noticeable live, but again in the recordings you hear it. Cherub rock's drum part is WRONG WRONG WRONG, and there was one point where Mike dropped a beat and Billy laughed.

They're playing along to the visuals - they actually have preview monitors with a whole stage image in front of each of them, showing what the ball is showing at any given time... some tracks are being played to clicks (mainly disarm, wildflower and pinwheels due to the heavy use of playback), some tracks the click is just there for mike to start the band in sync with the visuals and then they freewheel on timing from there.

scottytheoneand
08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
big orb is coll

Order 66
08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
problem with oceana live is when you compare something like king of limb or 2000 amnesiac tour you see glaring problems with jeffs guitar work. i think bringing back james would add that 'heaviness' siamese drem had

iPumpkin
08-08-2012, 01:23 PM
problem with oceana live is when you compare something like king of limb or 2000 amnesiac tour you see glaring problems with jeffs guitar work. i think bringing back james would add that 'heaviness' siamese drem had

why would you ever compare it to either of those two things?

Order 66
08-08-2012, 01:34 PM
its really hard not to when you can tell billy's going for a 'pablo honey in space' thing but comes short. i dont have a problem with him aping tom yorke, just do it right

bunny
08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
it's like you're just randomly namedropping radiohead albums.

The orb is reminiscent of the Iron Lung EP, mixed in with the later I Might Be Wrong outfits. some of the Meeting People Is Easy elements are a success, but it's all too much like they're trying to do something new (like The Drill tracks), but failing at it. Even Phil Selway is a better drummer then Mike

Trotskilicious
08-08-2012, 06:03 PM
i just deleted the album

omoi
08-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Is that so...Your post shows, that you haven't been to any Oceania gig, but you go along judging it as "Karaoke" and "Coldplay set", after watching a bit of crappy recording on youtube. You have a bright future as music journalist...

What's wrong with you? OP said nothing about attending a show in person. OP provided a youtube embed for the sake of making a comparison.

It's crappy because the music and performance is crappy.

pavementtune
08-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I just think your opinion would be different, if you'd been there. You stated your impressions of a video as facts. For the past 10 years, I haven't seen Billy giving a better performance than on the Oceania gigs. So you calling it Karaoke show is more than implausible.

omoi
08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
pavementtune, what other BC gigs have you gone to in the past 10 years?

Trotskilicious
08-08-2012, 09:20 PM
my count is 0

killtrocity
08-09-2012, 12:48 AM
How you balding poofters could surmise that all music be deemed equal is beyond me.

how you turnips even care if one piece of music is better than another is beyond me.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wlpGtqH9Z7U/SjLIAiCIBOI/AAAAAAAACyU/oR5v6RB6fCU/s400/090612_zen_book.jpg

amoergosum
08-09-2012, 03:25 AM
For the past 10 years, I haven't seen Billy giving a better performance than on the Oceania gigs.

Any of these clips are a million times better >>>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FUQkPVPxYLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XYIvCKAlX28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FspnTZTa-5I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pavementtune
08-09-2012, 03:41 AM
Again: I didn't say "the Australian Oceania gigs were the best shows in the last 10 years". I said, his performance was better than on the shows I HAVE SEEN in the last 10 years. Seen as in actually been at the concert, not seen on youtube.

Green Eyes
08-09-2012, 04:20 AM
my count is 0

WOW! You just deleted Oceania and haven't been to an SP concert in 10 years! How cool are you??? Obviously to cool for this board, i'd say.

ohnoitsbonnie
08-09-2012, 04:42 AM
I enjoy none of them

meangreensp
08-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Any of these clips are a million times better >>>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FUQkPVPxYLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XYIvCKAlX28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FspnTZTa-5I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think it is possible for anyone to be less intelligent than yourself. What an out of touch wanker. I love the Z tour, but this is a lot different and a lot better.

Trotskilicious
08-09-2012, 03:03 PM
WOW! You just deleted Oceania and haven't been to an SP concert in 10 years! How cool are you??? Obviously to cool for this board, i'd say.

you're not cool enough is the problem

Green Eyes
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM
you're not cool enough is the problem

Yes. Not being cool enough has and probably always will be my biggest problem.

I think you should download Oceania just so you can delete it again. That would be cool of you.

porte peinte
08-09-2012, 08:20 PM

i'm not particularly crazy about this video/performance/song, but it was heartwarming to see jimmy back there. i'd almost forgotten about his presence in the band, strangely.

paranoid
08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Yes, youtube clips...ugh.

Shut up.

subzero
08-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Again: I didn't say "the Australian Oceania gigs were the best shows in the last 10 years". I said, his performance was better than on the shows I HAVE SEEN in the last 10 years. Seen as in actually been at the concert, not seen on youtube.

if i didn't see it live....it didn't happen!

fake plastic
08-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Unfortunately sounds too much like Oceania

Trotskilicious
08-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Yes. Not being cool enough has and probably always will be my biggest problem.

I think you should download Oceania just so you can delete it again. That would be cool of you.

maybe you're just a stupid crybaby faggot that has a pussy instead of a face, you faggot

amoergosum
08-10-2012, 03:52 AM
i'm not particularly crazy about this video/performance/song, but it was heartwarming to see jimmy back there. i'd almost forgotten about his presence in the band, strangely.

>>>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/37OWL7AzvHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

iPumpkin
08-10-2012, 03:56 AM
The Zeitgeist era was strange. Looking at those clips and listening to the IAGW stuff feels like a totally different band that when Bill is putting out today.

subzero
08-10-2012, 09:21 AM
in hindsight it looks pretty horrible

Grox
08-10-2012, 12:33 PM
IAGW is like bill intentionally sabotaging his career + legacy in one fell swoop

how can someone be that much of a myopic bitchy asshole is beyond me

aztec litany service
08-10-2012, 06:57 PM
i prefer

flagellation!

Reyngel
08-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I got bored of Oceania as a complete record after my first listen. And I actually waited until it was released before I listened to any of it. Pale Horse and Pinwheels are unique, and if he had better vocals I'd love them. But that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

Live, though, the album material sounds pretty good, mostly because they play a lot looser and more fluid. On the album, it all sounds so rigid and spliced together via computers.

aztec litany service
08-10-2012, 07:34 PM
there's pretty much nothing left from what originally interested me in this band. billy's tired, his lyrics don't seem to mean anything, the drummer sucks, no real variation in the songs' style or emotional quality/attitude. the only message or feeling i get from listening to it is "we're a band, we did a song, cause that's what we do". no urgency, no point at all. that works for some ppl, but not billy fucking corgan.

Cowlishaw
08-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I haven't listened to it since the iTunes stream.

reprise85
08-10-2012, 11:07 PM
well la de da

Trotskilicious
08-11-2012, 03:33 AM
like just let the motherfukcer say whate he want with out you takin it personalaiosjfsdasdfvg

reprise85
08-11-2012, 10:38 AM
im not taking it personally, i mean who cares. it's just funny that people are bragging about

brendo_91
08-11-2012, 07:58 PM
The Zeitgeist era was strange. Looking at those clips and listening to the IAGW stuff feels like a totally different band that when Bill is putting out today.

SP2 vs. SP3

we know this

Reyngel
08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
I feel like his whole point, then, was that "if all goes wrong" with SP2, then that's the end.

And then all did go wrong. No one gave a fuck about Zeitgeist soon after, Jimmy bails on the lack of vision for the band, Billy starts up another overly-ambitious project that no one likes, Billy bails on that to make a record that he claims is the best thing he's done since Mellon Collie, and already people have forgotten it. What more needs to go wrong?

He also claimed that if Oceania didn't succeed, it would be the end of the Pumpkins.

And he said it was the end back on Decemeber 2nd of 2000.

The truth is probably that he'll never give up the band. He'll go down with the sinking ship, even if he was the one who put holes in it.

Grox
08-12-2012, 12:35 AM
he never let on

dustrock
08-12-2012, 01:50 AM
I thought one diamond and wildflower sounded much better live. Most of the stuff is more or less like the album versions.