View Full Version : Show us your tax returns, Mitt!

MyOneAndOnly
07-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Seriously.

Or better yet, don't show us. that way we will know exactly what the next 4 months of the campaign will look like.

Order 66
07-18-2012, 12:44 PM
great candidate, or greatest candidate?

TuralyonW3
07-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Great candidate for non republican voters

MyOneAndOnly
07-18-2012, 03:44 PM
who wants to speculate what the big bad is in his returns?

most likely is that he paid no taxes in 2009 (and possibly prior to that).

But the guy paid only 13% in 2010. So I can't see why he'd think this was so horrible that he couldn't release his returns.

I suspect that he has/had stock holdings that he doesn't want the public to see.

Order 66
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
hes just a dick

Tchocky
07-18-2012, 04:46 PM
“Smithers, why haven’t I heard of this ‘The Leader’? He’s as rich and wicked as I, but he seems to enjoy tax exempt status.”

"Actually, thanks to our creative bookkeeping and corporate loopholes, we only pay about $3 in taxes a year."

*gasps* "You're RIGHT! We're getting SCREWED!"

MyOneAndOnly
07-18-2012, 04:55 PM
hes just a dick

that's an insult to dicks everywhere

jczeroman
07-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Repeat inane talking points, scottytheoneand!

MyOneAndOnly
07-19-2012, 06:39 AM
one rumor is that he may have held stock in a Bain owned medical waste disposal company that took contracts to dispose of human waste from Abortion clinics....

I find that ridiculous. But it would be a fun news day if it were true.

Nimrod's Son
07-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Scotty were you also cl******g for Obama to release his birth certificate for years like you are about this?

MyOneAndOnly
07-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Obama's birth certificate is public record. It was available via the state of Hawaii and was made available by his campaign years ago.

It's a non issue.

MyOneAndOnly
07-19-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/ann-romney_n_1685735.html

"Because there are so many things that will be open again for more attack... and that's really, that's just the answer. And we've given all you people need to know and understand about our financial situation and about how we live our life." - Ann Romney

reprise85
07-19-2012, 04:28 PM
"you people"

Trotskilicious
07-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Repeat inane talking points, scottytheoneand!

i dunno it's kinda relevant because of the fact that taxation is a major issue and mitt's a good example of how squibillionaires don't really pay a lot of taxes

MyOneAndOnly
07-19-2012, 04:42 PM
how a person makes their money is relevant as well.

if you make hundreds of millions of dollars tearing companies apart, avoiding taxes and investing overseas, and then you want to hold the highest office in the land, you owe it to the country to explain yourself.

Trotskilicious
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
the highest office in a country decimated by vulture capital

it's absolutely relevant

Euronomus
07-19-2012, 06:09 PM
one rumor is that he may have held stock in a Bain owned medical waste disposal company that took contracts to dispose of human waste from Abortion clinics....

I find that ridiculous. But it would be a fun news day if it were true.

Not really a rumor, Bain invested in it in '99, Romney claims he left the firm before that happened but he is listed in SEC filings as "CEO, President, and sole owner" for a few years after. Now Romney claims to have retired "retroactively" whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/romney-bain-abortion-stericycle-sec

reprise85
07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
wow that is ridiculous

reprise85
07-19-2012, 06:30 PM
i retroactively did not have sex with that woman

mpp
07-19-2012, 08:28 PM
i retroactively did not have sex with that woman

yeah i retroactively didn't inhale

mitt is the scariest kind of candidate -- hell, i'd rather see Dubya run for a third term

redbreegull
07-19-2012, 08:54 PM
that's ridiculous– Mitt Romney is a disgusting sack of skin filled with hundred dollar bills, but he has not done anything that should make anyone believe he would be a worse president than Bush. I would take any of the contenders from earlier this season over Bush except for Gingrich and Bachman

Euronomus
07-19-2012, 09:34 PM
That's not even the first time he has tried weasel his way out of being responsible for what the company he started and ran did.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oLo0Jwj03JU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/dec/16/nation/na-mittbain16

Bain Capital had bought a controlling interest in a paper products company called Ampad for $5 million in 1992. Two years later, after Ampad bought a factory in Marion, Ind., the new management team dismissed about 200 workers, slashed salaries and benefits, and hired strikebreakers after the union called a walkout.

"We were just fired," Randy Johnson, a former worker and union officer at the Marion plant, recalled in a telephone interview. "They came in and said, 'You're all fired. If you want to work for us, here's an application.' We had insurance until the end of the week. That was it. It was brutal."

In October 1994, Johnson and other striking workers drove to Massachusetts to protest Romney's Senate campaign. "We chased him everywhere," Johnson recalled. "He took good jobs with benefits, and created low-wage, part-time, no-benefit jobs. That's what he was creating with his investments."

At first, Romney tried to justify the Indiana layoffs as necessary in "the real world." He then sought to distance himself, arguing that he took a leave of absence from Bain Capital before Ampad bought the factory. The dispute proved potent, however, and Kennedy trounced him in the election.

Euronomus
07-19-2012, 09:35 PM
that's ridiculous– Mitt Romney is a disgusting sack of skin filled with hundred dollar bills, but he has not done anything that should make anyone believe he would be a worse president than Bush. I would take any of the contenders from earlier this season over Bush except for Gingrich and Bachman

I'll have to disagree, I'd take stupid over evil any day.

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 05:56 AM
Scotty were you also cl******g for Obama to release his birth certificate for years like you are about this?

I figured you wouldve gone for the college transcripts

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 06:02 AM

even Cain?

redbreegull
07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
you guys have some short fucking memories

http://pubrecord.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/dick-cheney-george-bush-photo-1.jpg

redbreegull
07-20-2012, 09:40 AM
it's probably not even possible for another neocon to get elected because of these two men, they were that bad. It's not an easy thing, to bring down an entire political ideology on your head

duovamp
07-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Oh how I miss you, W.

http://leanforward.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/18/12813027-george-w-bush-i-was-famous-and-i-was-powerful?lite

mpp
07-20-2012, 10:37 AM

well, what i mean is this: he's been running for president for, what, 6 years now? he's put hundreds of millions of dollars into making people like him more and all for what? so he can be leader of the free world? why does he want it so badly?

he's just so shady -- all this off-shore money, etc.

he rubs me the wrong way, but maybe that's because he's never drunk a beer and he's the guy who makes the subtle/not-subtle coughing sounds when he's around someone smoking instead of asking them to put it out

MyOneAndOnly
07-20-2012, 11:09 AM
I understand what Romney means by "retroactive retirement".

He stepped aside from the day to day running of the company to pursue other interests. (But he remained in a salaried position, he retained ownership and he had a say in the major decisions the company made.)

At some point 10 years ago he decided he wanted to be president and he "retired," and formally left his position.

If you listen to the arguments that republicans make over this they're saying that because he wasn't punching the clock every day at the Bain office he wasn't responsible. BUT his name was on the door, on the checks, on the board minutes.

To me, this is a perfect example of the lack of accountability in business and finance that progressives have been decrying for years. Specifically, that these super rich business owners take as much credit as they possibly can for the gains companies make, but they run from responsibility for the wrongs, losses, etc.

For fiscal conservatives, small business owners and people who care about the health of the private sector, this type of lack of moral responsibility on behalf of the owner of a company ought to be publicly denounced. It's destructive to our economy and it gives the public an image of people in the business world as souless, greedy scum bags.

Jackal
07-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Here's a tip for you...sometimes rich people follow the laws which help them legally retain more of the money they earn.

That's what his tax returns will show. (gasp!) OMG, how could a person who legally saves his own money possibly run our country?!

Order 66
07-20-2012, 11:51 AM
i personally don't give a shit about either candidate's returns but the obama campaign has every right to harp on rombot on this, as he's probably the first candidate in a modern election to be so furtive about it. it just looks bad and creates an opening that could take obama/priorities USA into the homestretch if they play up on it good enough

and before somebody says "b.. but obama's BC and transcripts..." ask yourself, if a modest earning candidate was the GOP nominee and disclosed his returns while obama withheld years and years, would the shoe not be on the same foot

Trotskilicious
07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Here's a tip for you...sometimes rich people follow the laws which help them legally retain more of the money they earn.

That's what his tax returns will show. (gasp!) OMG, how could a person who legally saves his own money possibly run our country?!

why are you so convinced of that if they won't show them, you shit fuck dicklicking worshiper of the neo aristocracy?

MyOneAndOnly
07-20-2012, 03:19 PM

legal and moral are not the same thing

Obama could have created a non profit, moved all his cash from his book deals into it and avoided paying taxes on it. But he didn't. Likewise, the first lady could have moved their investments offshore to avoid taxes. But she didn't.

How they made and invested their fortunes speaks to the morality and character of the candidates.

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
it's probably not even possible for another neocon to get elected because of these two men, they were that bad. It's not an easy thing, to bring down an entire political ideology on your head

ha!

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 04:35 PM
i personally don't give a shit about either candidate's returns but the obama campaign has every right to harp on rombot on this, as he's probably the first candidate in a modern election to be so furtive about it. it just looks bad and creates an opening that could take obama/priorities USA into the homestretch if they play up on it good enough

and before somebody says "b.. but obama's BC and transcripts..." ask yourself, if a modest earning candidate was the GOP nominee and disclosed his returns while obama withheld years and years, would the shoe not be on the same foot

so then the college transcripts are a perfectly reasonable thing for Romney to make an issue of/request, right?

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 04:37 PM
I think it's perfectly reasonable on both sides, to be clear.

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 04:39 PM
How much it plays, eh not much, I think you guys are a bit over eager on this, mainly because it's too far out. I cant imagine that nothing else will come up between now and the election to drive the returns into the background

Order 66
07-20-2012, 04:46 PM
i don't think romney is making an issue out of the transcripts. that's more of a conservative blogospehre/birther-ish sort of thing

and iirc releasing college transcripts has never been standard protocol in a presidential campaign, aside from records where you graduated from and when. i mean i guess you could draw some equivalency with tax returns but its a stretch, and a sort of ridiculous one imo

MyOneAndOnly
07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
besides that, what a 50 or 60 year old candidate got on his SATs, or what grade he got in English 101 is irrelevant.

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 04:54 PM
i didnt say they were, but if they were then that's be cool for them to do so, no? transparency and all that. After all, whats he hiding from the American people? Past presidents have done it, etc. etc. That whole deal. Legally Romney isnt required to release more than he has (or any at all), right?

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 04:56 PM
besides that, what a 50 or 60 year old candidate got on his SATs, or what grade he got in English 101 is irrelevant.
same is being said about the tax returns, i dont think either side is in a position to decide for everyone whether it is relevant or not. If the majority of the public wants it, it should come out, no?

Order 66
07-20-2012, 05:12 PM
If the majority of the public wants it, it should come out, no?

you're right, they should come out

majority of americans want romney to release tax returns (http://www.gallup.com/poll/155897/Majority-Americans-Romney-Release-Tax-Returns.aspx)

Future Boy
07-20-2012, 05:18 PM
exactly, so then you agree the transcripts are a legitimate issue to attack on, and with enough support, should be released. Right?

Order 66
07-20-2012, 05:24 PM
sure. if romney wants to take heed from the omega concern demographic i'm by all means fine with him taking that route

Nimrod's Son
07-20-2012, 05:25 PM

so you weren't one of the ones who referred to Bush as a "C student"?

Euronomus
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
If it was at all relevant of course he should release them, but it's not. You are drawing a false equivalency, we know that the president graduated near the top of his class, was head of the law review et cetera. If the President got a c one semester 30 years ago is completely irrelevant and inconsequential. We know Romney has offshore accounts, has more money in his IRA than is mathematically possible, and is claiming a lack of responsibility for anything Bain did after '99. Him releasing his tax returns would shed light on those thing's whether good or bad(and the fact that he refuses to do so is a damn good sign that he's trying to hide something).

Also when someone is running for president how they manage their money is entirely relevant not just if they follow the law, but whether they are acting morally with their finances as well.

MyOneAndOnly
07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
same is being said about the tax returns, i dont think either side is in a position to decide for everyone whether it is relevant or not. If the majority of the public wants it, it should come out, no?

false equivalency

NO. Not the same thing at all. What he did in the past 5 or 10 years is very important. What he did in gym class when he was 18 isn't.

Future Boy
07-21-2012, 02:04 AM

Wow we're so lucky to have two people on here that have attained the power and ability to decide for an entire nation of voters what they should consider relevant when voting for the presidency.

Guys, while your opinions are obviously part of the whole, majority public opinion decides whether an issue has relevance. If the public didnt care about the tax returns, they wouldn't be relevant, no matter how much you personally would want or think them to be.

If you think I'm arguing that they are equally important to, or revealing of, a persons character or ability to lead, I am not.

Future Boy
07-21-2012, 02:08 AM
you guys have some short fucking memories

http://pubrecord.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/dick-cheney-george-bush-photo-1.jpg

no I mean whats the difference between Cain and Bachmann. Same crazy, different packaging.

D.
07-21-2012, 07:49 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/xorPYQRorQVpAy5fpvxTRRkeG5dZ0deGXHRtEV9RF8FePvsjyQ PaKrPywu144pqt1oa8PiaAC8AUb8gRkXsTL1ps7HPyjtNA/Obamney.jpg

killtrocity
07-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Tax havens: Super-rich 'hiding' at least $21tn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18944097

redbreegull
07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
no I mean whats the difference between Cain and Bachmann. Same crazy, different packaging.

honestly forgot about cain

duovamp
07-22-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18944097

*flips desk over*

MyOneAndOnly
08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
no taxes for 10 years

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/31/harry-reid-romney-taxes_n_1724027.html

Trotskilicious
08-01-2012, 05:03 PM
scot you fucking idiot this is why we don't respect you and find you to be a brainless DNC mouthpiece:

A month or so ago, he said, a person who had invested with Bain Capital called his office.

"Harry, he didn't pay any taxes for 10 years," Reid recounted the person as saying.

"He didn't pay taxes for 10 years! Now, do I know that that's true? Well, I'm not certain," said Reid.

Trotskilicious
08-01-2012, 05:04 PM
HEY GUYS MITT ROMNEY CALLED ME TODAY AND SAYS HE HAS NEVER PAID ANY TAXES IN HIS LIFE AND IS WORTH FORTY BAQUILLION DOUBLE DOLLARS I DON'T HAVE ANY PROOF BUT LOL

MyOneAndOnly
08-01-2012, 05:09 PM
scot you fucking idiot this is why we don't respect you and find you to be a brainless DNC mouthpiece:

yeah, I read it too, Trots.

is funny, no?

Trotskilicious
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
i'm sorry scot i do not find misinformation, heresay and outright lies to be "funny"

i am logically consistent on that point, unlike yourself who would piddle your pants if some republican SENATOR was making shit up about how the kenyan ambassador calling him and saying that obama was definitely born in kenya

Trotskilicious
08-01-2012, 06:03 PM
we're talking about a <I>United States Senator</i> the <I>minority leader</I> for god's sake, barking nonsense out of his ass. This is a textbook example of how congress is filled with idiotically petty child-like assclowns

Toast
08-01-2012, 06:19 PM
How about releasing these?

Fast and Furious documents. Obama used executive privilege to save AG Eric Holder's behind.
Health reform negotiations. Obama made back-room deals (http://deadlinelive.info/2012/06/10/backroom-obamacare-deal-with-big-pharma-probed-by-gop/) worth millions with lobbyists and legislators.
FOIA requests. Obama is "the worst" (http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=F2845408-4ECA-4C58-A39F-64257AD30534) at complying with Freedom of Information Act requests.
Real White House guest list. Many visits are secret. (http://www.iwatchnews.org/2011/04/13/4115/white-house-visitor-logs-riddled-holes) Met with lobbyists off-site. (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/25/us/politics/25caribou.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all)
Rashid Khalidi tape. Obama attended a 2003 party for Rashin Khalidi in which a lot of anti-Israel rhetoric was featured. Nobody is releasing the tape. LA Times story. (http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/10/nation/na-obamamideast10)
Small dollar donors. Obama refused to release names of contributors who donated less than $200 even though he's accused of receiving illegal foreign contributions. (http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2008/10/mccain_camp_urg.php) McCain did this in 2008, why couldn't Obama?
Medical records. John McCain released thousands of pages of medical records. All Obama released was a one-page doctor's note even though he has a history of drug abuse and smoking.
Book proposal. Obama's literary agent said he was "born in Kenya". Why hasn't anybody released the original book proposal.
Academic transcripts. Can Obama prove his merit?
State senate papers. Obama never produced any papers from his eight years as a state senator. He says (http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2007/11/sweet_web_column_obama_on_his.html) "they could have been thrown out."

pavementtune
08-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Buhahaha, ridiculous! What's the source, Toast?

Order 66
08-01-2012, 07:01 PM
newsmax
daily caller
&ect

MyOneAndOnly
08-01-2012, 10:51 PM
It's ok to vote for the wall street guy because Obama is evil and eats white children and rapes our women!

MyOneAndOnly
08-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Freedom isn't free

GOP

duovamp
08-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Whatever happened to that Obama sex scandal btw? Did the reptilians just trick us into forgetting it was real?

MyOneAndOnly
08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
duovamp, when they're done with you you won't even remember posting that

MyOneAndOnly
08-02-2012, 11:10 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r1D1jI61ckY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Order 66
08-02-2012, 12:35 PM
romney is a job creating badass

MyOneAndOnly
08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
he created a hell of a well paying job for himself

MyOneAndOnly
08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
he wants to be so free of government that all he does is try to get government jobs

Order 66
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd vote for him