View Full Version : My brothers, let's talk about The Arising! Tour.

BurtSampson
07-15-2012, 01:41 AM
http://archive.org/details/sp1999-04-21.sennheiser.flac16

I love this tour so much, and I just recently discovered this show, and from the ones I've heard, this is easily my favorite. The banter is the best, James seems in the best spirits, and D'arcy is less of a belligerent drunk than at some of the earlier ones in the tour. It's just such a shame, because you can hear so much optimism and potential that is all gone in the late 1999 when Melissa joined.

Morlock
07-15-2012, 03:32 AM
This is a cool concert.

slunken
07-15-2012, 03:36 AM
i prefer d'arcy when she's a beliggerant drunk

TuralyonW3
07-15-2012, 03:43 AM
mean spirited drug addict

slunken
07-15-2012, 04:07 AM
watching that james/darcy "arguing" outtakes video definitely shed some light onto that statement

slunken
07-15-2012, 04:08 AM
let's talk about how d'arcy managed to drop off the face of the earth

TuralyonW3
07-15-2012, 05:12 AM
the coligen or whatever was a big mixtake

rottenugly
07-15-2012, 06:15 AM
http://media.mlive.com/kzgazette_impact/photo/9272031-large.jpg

James Iha actually fucked this.

whywontyoulistn
07-15-2012, 08:21 AM
http://archive.org/details/sp1999-04-21.sennheiser.flac16

I love this tour so much, and I just recently discovered this show, and from the ones I've heard, this is easily my favorite. The banter is the best, James seems in the best spirits, and D'arcy is less of a belligerent drunk than at some of the earlier ones in the tour. It's just such a shame, because you can hear so much optimism and potential that is all gone in the late 1999 when Melissa joined.

Agreed; they sound like they're having fun for a change. I really enjoy this show, although I think I prefer the other source that's on Archive. I do actually have 3 sources of this one.

http://archive.org/details/tsp1999-04-21.CSHEB.flac16

teh b0lly!!1
07-15-2012, 09:01 AM
where's that rider guy with the seemingly cockriding d'arcy in it?
she was pretty hot for a while there

subzero
07-15-2012, 12:18 PM

well she fell off a cliff after she left the band.

BurtSampson
07-15-2012, 12:26 PM
well James Iha looks like fucking Emperor Hirohito now so w/e

emotionalfriend
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
The guitar solo in "Speed Kills" during the 4/17 show in Pittsburgh is one of my all-time favorite Billy solos. Strangely enough, I just listened to this show for the first time in years the other night.

reprise85
07-15-2012, 03:58 PM
lol @ wishing monte happy birthday at the 4/21 show. that has to be netphoria's monte, right?

whywontyoulistn
07-15-2012, 04:12 PM
The guitar solo in "Speed Kills" during the 4/17 show in Pittsburgh is one of my all-time favorite Billy solos. Strangely enough, I just listened to this show for the first time in years the other night.

I love that solo, and the crowd reaction as well. Imagine being able to see as well as hear that performance...

lol @ wishing monte happy birthday at the 4/21 show. that has to be netphoria's monte, right?

That would be hilarious. It can't be, though, can it?

reprise85
07-15-2012, 04:22 PM
sending out the monte signal

there's no way monte's older than thirty though... is he?

now that i think about it i guess he must be :erm:

Grox
07-15-2012, 04:27 PM
it def is the same monte unfortunately

BurtSampson
07-15-2012, 05:56 PM
it can't be. It would've been autistically written about in "My SP Life" on Crestfallen.com if it was.

Order 66
07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
arising was amazing. really felt like they were embarking on something epic... shame things ended up not working out but hey at least the tour actually happened

CrabbMan
07-16-2012, 02:00 AM
I'm sure there was something going on with D'arcy at this point, but I think with Jimmy back and an exciting new sound after Adore there was a lot to be optimistic about amongst the band. I agree with what Order 66 said, it was a shame they went off the trajectory they were on during that tour. I mean, I enjoy a lot of what ended up on Machina, but that album/era had a pretty distinct feel from Arising! to me. For whatever reason, I always preferred Virex to The Imploding Voice; I guess it lost its punch in the record.

Reyngel
07-16-2012, 02:09 AM
My first Pumpkins show was their final show at the Roxy. First person in line, front-row-center. 15+ shows later, it was the best night of Pumpkins I ever experienced.

iPumpkin
07-16-2012, 02:35 AM
I never believed Bill had a master plan to break up the band the whole time. I feel like he talked Jim into it after James was checked out and Machina wasn't the huge comeback he wanted after Adore.

Reyngel
07-16-2012, 02:49 AM
I never believed Bill had a master plan to break up the band the whole time. I feel like he talked Jim into it after James was checked out and Machina wasn't the huge comeback he wanted after Adore.

Hm. I hadn't thought about that before... seems pretty plausible.

Raskolnikov
07-16-2012, 03:11 AM
My first Pumpkins show was their final show at the Roxy. First person in line, front-row-center. 15+ shows later, it was the best night of Pumpkins I ever experienced.

Proud to say I was there, too. Not front row, nor first in line - but we got there early and were probably 3 rows back on James' side. Such a killer night, man. If only I could rewind time and see that one again! I do - and probably always will - hold that show up as the best concert I've ever seen.

Crazy that it turned out to be the last show with the original foursome.

Reyngel
07-16-2012, 03:18 AM
It's a shame that show happened before the age of cell phone videos and digital media. We might have had some nice evidence to look back on. All we have now is a pretty low-quality audio recording.

amoergosum
07-16-2012, 04:15 AM
It's a shame that show happened before the age of cell phone videos and digital media. We might have had some nice evidence to look back on. All we have now is a pretty low-quality audio recording.

There's probably a soundboard recording...Monte should ask Billy about it (Lucky 13 project).

redbull
07-16-2012, 05:44 AM
There's probably a soundboard recording...Monte should ask Billy about it (Lucky 13 project).

bill apparently has boards of everything from double door night 3 onwards

RenewRevive
07-16-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm sure there was something going on with D'arcy at this point, but I think with Jimmy back and an exciting new sound after Adore there was a lot to be optimistic about amongst the band. I agree with what Order 66 said, it was a shame they went off the trajectory they were on during that tour. I mean, I enjoy a lot of what ended up on Machina, but that album/era had a pretty distinct feel from Arising! to me. For whatever reason, I always preferred Virex to The Imploding Voice; I guess it lost its punch in the record.

yeah, it got processed within an inch of its life, is what happened. although the extended outro is what kills it.

the Machina reissue is the one that really has the potential for meaningful change and i'm not referring to billy's plan to "reintegrate" the two albums, whatever that means. sadly though the production issues will persist, as it is just a remaster. i hope the bonus disk(s?) will comprise demo versions of the Machina songs, similar to M2, but we'll probably get 6 different remixes of HMM and Blue Skies.

it's kinda weird, because with Mellon Collie Flood's intention was to recreate the sound of the live band, hence the rawer feel compared with Vigg's approach. but they seemed to do a 180 with Machina and ended up with a more detached, almost artificial sound. wonder if Corgan had more influence than Flood, or if they just decided to go a different route?

what they're gonna do with machina 2 i don't know, as they have to do more than remaster the tracks if it's gonna be an official release, surely? especially if billy does resequence the the album(s).

scottytheoneand
07-16-2012, 12:18 PM

that's not fair to James or Kerry. she was hot back in the day.

scottytheoneand
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
It does make you wonder how people can fuck up such a great thing. she's not exactly a top notch player, so being a part of that band was a dream gig. I don't see why it's so hard to NOT do tons of crack.

I don't think newer fans (that found the band post 2000) have any idea how cool she was back in the day.

New Art Rioter
07-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Was a good time, remember this was the first time I began to lurk on this board, the excitement over the new songs and bootlegs was intense. I did my first trade for the Detroit show and must have watched the videos from it about a million times.

CrabbMan
07-24-2012, 03:20 AM

I was at that show as well, though I was more like the 10th person in line, so when I got in I was in the front but off to the side a bit. I was stoked when they took down the Queens of the Stone Age set and put Billy's mic up in front of me.

SPLATTER
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
i was at the pittsburgh show, and it was not that good ... maybe it sounds good on the boot, but the crowd didn't know any of the new songs, no one knew what to make of it... people were actually bored by geek usa... you could see yelena looking bored by herself in the balcony/backstage area, which was weird in itself ... it was not a good night.

vbshlofbvgos
07-25-2012, 04:36 AM
washington d.c. was just the opposite

subzero
07-25-2012, 09:16 AM
It does make you wonder how people can fuck up such a great thing. she's not exactly a top notch player, so being a part of that band was a dream gig. I don't see why it's so hard to NOT do tons of crack.

I don't think newer fans (that found the band post 2000) have any idea how cool she was back in the day.

she wanted to be an actress, lol.

ButterflyBullet
07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
she wanted to be an actress, lol.

...and then she gets busted for crack possession or whatever it was and goes AWOL :dammit:

Was that before or after she was hanging with Mickey Rourke?

amoergosum
07-25-2012, 09:55 AM
...and then she gets busted for crack possession or whatever it was and goes AWOL :dammit:

Was that before or after she was hanging with Mickey Rourke?

>>>

2000/01/25
Former bassist D'arcy Wretzky is arrested around 3 a.m. for possession of a controlled substance after allegedly purchasing three bags of crack cocaine on the West side of Chicago. She has a Valentine's Day court date for the charges.

Source:
http://www.spfc.org/band/chronology.html?year=2000

June 1999-On the 15th, Billy and James participated in an official chat with some of the fans. Unfortunately the chat only lasted five minutes due to techinical difficulties. The "Stigmata" soundtrack's release is pushed back to mid to late August. In early June, there D'arcy had reportedly Jason Weinberg's Untitled Entertainment to manage her for a possible acting career.

September 1999-Rumors of D'arcy quitting the band are spread, including one alleged insider said that James "has been doing all the bass parts", also Billy had allegedly told people at a Cheap Trick after concertparty that D'arcy had left the band. The rumors were neither confirmed or denied until on September 9th,the Smashing Pumpkins Internet Fan Club confirmed D'arcy's leaving. Also, they said that D'arcy quitting was unrelated to the return of Jimmy Chamberlin, and that the Pumpkins will continue as a band. The Pumpkins' new album is delayed to February 15th, 2000.

December 1999-Former bassist, D'arcy becomes an actor by starring in an upcoming film with Mickey Rourke, Peaces of Ronnie. A webmaster's note: "Although it's nice to see D'arcy is getting some acting jobs, anything with Mickey Rourke in it lately has not been very successful. Can you say direct to video?" D'arcy stated in an interview with Launch that her departure from the Pumpkins was "long overdue".

February 2000-Further Resume The Pose signings and performances are announced an take place. The first concert is performed in Lawerence, KS on the 1st -the day after the first signing (which was there as well). Not all signings that would follow were accompanied by performances though. "The Everlasting Gaze" premiers on MTV's 120 Minutes on February 6th. It premiered on Muchmusic a week earlier. On the 14th, D'arcy is sentenced to attend four drug-abuse prevention classes , rather than facing a trial for possession of crack cocaine. The judge said that she had till May 14th to complete the classes.

May 2000-This is one of the most important months in the history of the band, because it marked the beginning of the end. A plate showing the face of Billy Corgan was featured in the Nine Inch Nails, video- "Starfuckers, Inc." along with other music stars. Ex-Pumpkin D'arcy had been reported as continuing to attend her drug rehab classes, and also spending time with actor, Mickey Rourke. She had reportedly been seen shopping with Rourke, and had took up his hobby of plastic surgery. "Try, Try, Try" will be the next video, and will be released as a cd single in the UK. A new official site for the Pumpkins was released by online company, Atomic Pop. Billy made another appearance on ABC's "Politically Incorrect". Jimmy Chamberlin will be featured on the cover of "Modern Drummer" for the August issue. D'arcy finished her rehab this month, and the drug charges were dropped against her.

Source:
http://landslide.2007.org/omnipedia/timeline99-00.htm

ButterflyBullet
07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
>>>

Source:
http://www.spfc.org/band/chronology.html?year=2000

Source:
http://landslide.2007.org/omnipedia/timeline99-00.htm

:(:noway:

RenewRevive
07-25-2012, 12:46 PM
On the 14th, D'arcy is sentenced to attend four drug-abuse prevention classes , rather than facing a trial for possession of crack cocaine.

yeah, these worked out just great.

Funky_Gibbon
07-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Totally agree with you. That solo is excellent and explains my huge disappointment when I finally heard the studio version.

The Pittsburgh Arising show is the best of that tour imo. It even made Cash Car Star sound good.

BurtSampson
07-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I myself listened to the 4/17 Pittsburgh show today and was blown away by how good Wound sounded. How did they fuck it up so bad on Machina? It could have been a lead single for sure.

ButterflyBullet
07-27-2012, 01:59 AM
I myself listened to the 4/17 Pittsburgh show today and was blown away by how good Wound sounded. How did they fuck it up so bad on Machina? It could have been a lead single for sure.

I'm gonna go with the whole "D'arcy was like quality control or whatever and when she left Billy went outta control and did stuff like this and ruined it" thing

amoergosum
10-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Man...Billy really was in the fucking zone...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mv94vyFPn8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shallowed
10-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Oh shit yeah. I think I saw a glimpse of that zone from 0:14 to 0:19

He does seem to have a bit more swagger in his style in that video. Even see a kind of head jerk at about 0:40 similar to his erratic movements in The Everlasting Gaze video. Hadn't he stopped habitually using MDMA by this stage too?

Shallowed
10-18-2014, 07:02 PM
1999 must have been such an exciting time to be following SP. And then such such a heartbreaking time in 2000.

KManXC
10-18-2014, 07:26 PM
I saw the show in NYC at what was then a club called Tramps. I remember it being so damn small and couldn't believe we were seeing that band in such a shithole right after the MCIS tour. It was an amazing night. Feels like forever ago.

Ram27
10-18-2014, 09:03 PM
All the Arising! versions were incredible, if only because a band with 100% of their formative members is better than a band with 75% of them.

I love that they brought back La Dolly Vita for the tour. And dat Geek USA encore, electric Muzzle...kickass stuff.

And Wound (is it woo-nd or wow-nd?) is one of their best songs. Has a real 'epic' feel to it

wounded
10-18-2014, 09:29 PM
i was in HS. I woke up and got in line at 5 a.m. outside of bogarts in cincy. didn't get tix. scalped tix day of show for $45.00. I remember thinking that was expensive.

Great tour. SP really were at their best in venues like that. I do remember billy and jimmy showed up on a bus and D'arcy and James had a separate bus. I still have the tour poster rolled up around here somewhere. terrifying poster.

I recall the crowd being pretty into it.

Order 66
10-18-2014, 09:34 PM
the last great tour

Mals Marola
10-18-2014, 09:53 PM
watching that james/darcy "arguing" outtakes video definitely shed some light onto that statement

what's this

Gooch
10-19-2014, 12:02 AM
I wish, wish they will make mention of the arising tour/acknowledge it in the upcoming reissues.the energy, the sets, the artwork even was awesome. Shame to let it go as forgotten.

redbull
10-19-2014, 03:05 AM
really hoping we get the detroit DVD with the machina reissue

Grox
10-19-2014, 03:21 AM
billy might've been on drugs but he seems genuinely amped to be playing in the original pumpkins again, hence his enthusiasm during I Am One, shredding while wagging his tongue like he's in fucking KISS.

amoergosum
10-19-2014, 03:39 AM
Oh shit yeah. I think I saw a glimpse of that zone from 0:14 to 0:19

He does seem to have a bit more swagger in his style in that video. Even see a kind of head jerk at about 0:40 similar to his erratic movements in The Everlasting Gaze video.

Exactly.

http://i.giflike.com/Dq2GDW1.gif

http://i.giflike.com/hVoecEQ.gif

amoergosum
10-19-2014, 03:50 AM
billy might've been on drugs but he seems genuinely amped to be playing in the original pumpkins again, hence his enthusiasm during I Am One, shredding while wagging his tongue like he's in fucking KISS.

>>>

http://i.giflike.com/WQnl2KL.gif

http://i.giflike.com/eWeQRUh.gif

Spira|_
10-19-2014, 05:13 AM
I got to get into airisig so talked tour.

Shallowed
10-19-2014, 06:47 AM
There's only like nine shows

dodoz
10-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Proud to say I was there, too. Not front row, nor first in line - but we got there early and were probably 3 rows back on James' side. Such a killer night, man. If only I could rewind time and see that one again! I do - and probably always will - hold that show up as the best concert I've ever seen.

Crazy that it turned out to be the last show with the original foursome.

It must have been scary to see poor D'Arcy in the shape she was then. It's one thing to watch a video but being there...? I hope she's happier now.
Great tour, better than anything that came after, live.

Funbags
10-19-2014, 11:34 AM
It's hard to believe D'arcy used to be the sanest one.

Ram27
10-19-2014, 11:59 AM
She seemed cool>>

https://ia902501.us.archive.org/25/items/tsp1995-10-23.flac16/tsp1995-10-23d1t04_vbr.mp3

F.Delacroix
10-19-2014, 01:29 PM
front-row-center

people sure love to say this when describing their personal concert-going experiences

no doubt 100% of the time it's total bullshit

dodoz
10-19-2014, 06:21 PM
people sure love to say this when describing their personal concert-going experiences

Mine was front row - right side, ha ha.

Ram27
10-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Only concert I ever went to was a Weird Al show

Left side, pretty far back

The Omega Concern
10-20-2014, 11:05 PM

hey Reyngal...Did you get sprayed with fire from the QOTSA bassist that night? I was right in front of Darcy's mic that evening, so was he, that shit hurt for awhile. Most seriously fun fucked up Rock n Roll moment I ever had as a fan.

The Omega Concern
10-20-2014, 11:09 PM

I was around the 15th person in line that night and could of had a front row center if I really wanted to. I opted to be in front of Darcy. And if you weren't in the front row of these shows, you eventually got eaten up by the pit and would get trailed away. You had to be on the rail holding on or forget it.

The Omega Concern
10-20-2014, 11:25 PM
i was in HS. I woke up and got in line at 5 a.m. outside of bogarts in cincy. didn't get tix. scalped tix day of show for $45.00. I remember thinking that was expensive.

Great tour. SP really were at their best in venues like that. I do remember billy and jimmy showed up on a bus and D'arcy and James had a separate bus. I still have the tour poster rolled up around here somewhere. terrifying poster.

I recall the crowd being pretty into it.

I got a ticket for the Spreckals show in S.D. for about $275 from a tix guy in the Bay Area. Drove 7 hours to check out the show and on my way from San Diego back to the bay something compelled me to drive by the The Roxy in Hollywood. You know, just to check it out...

walked into a genuine fan that sold her extra ticket to me for $25. Twas a miracle considering tix the night of the Roxy show were scalping between $700 to $1500 and she could of easily had done that, but wanted to give it to a fan.

amoergosum
04-25-2016, 05:45 PM
D'arcy's last show >>>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is a pretty sick show here - <a href="https://t.co/h1bimvOIzv">https://t.co/h1bimvOIzv</a> Almost forgot how we used to operate. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Roxy?src=hash">#Roxy</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/smashingpumpkins?src=hash">#smashingpumpkins</a></p>&mdash; Jimmy Chamberlin (@jccomplex) <a href="https://twitter.com/jccomplex/status/724710374612840449">25. April 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Corgan's Bluff
04-25-2016, 06:24 PM
D'arcy's last show >>>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is a pretty sick show here - <a href="https://t.co/h1bimvOIzv">https://t.co/h1bimvOIzv</a> Almost forgot how we used to operate. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Roxy?src=hash">#Roxy</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/smashingpumpkins?src=hash">#smashingpumpkins</a></p>&mdash; Jimmy Chamberlin (@jccomplex) <a href="https://twitter.com/jccomplex/status/724710374612840449">25. April 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A GOOD sign Jimmy mentions it therefore... :rofl:

Grox
04-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Psyched that Jimmy tweeted that. Was listening to that Roxy show all weekend. There are better recordings of that tour, but that show is worth having just as a historical document. The performance is great, and the band is really tight and relaxed. So much less emotionally taxing than the "final" Metro show.

Gooch
04-25-2016, 07:49 PM
I think that is awesome sign, on several levels - that Jimmy knows about the archive site, listened to the show (he musta been feeling nostalgic, as he tweeted on same date). Happy he sees Arising shows in a good light too, as they are a fav of mine. Wonder the back story behind this; was it just he was wandering around the net and stumbled on this, did someone mention it to him, or is something going on in the SP camp that this show came up in conversation for him to listen to it. Machina mystery indeed.

crabshack
04-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Maybe he follows that one twitter page that tweets the "this day in sp history" usually with show info. Just a thought.

Gooch
04-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Maybe he follows that one twitter page that tweets the "this day in sp history" usually with show info. Just a thought.

Good point. Prob right. Although I like to imagine that they were going through the archives, figuring out which Arising show to release in honor of darcy rejoining the band. I like this scenario better.

Gooch
04-25-2016, 08:24 PM
yeah, so someone posted on JCs twitter, linked to the SBD recording of the show on youtube. I give it 2 days before that is down and somebody gets a C+D

Ram27
04-25-2016, 08:26 PM
JC is following that account --> https://doesfollow.com/jccomplex/spfcdotorg but I hope you're right Gooch

slunken
04-25-2016, 08:32 PM
yeah, so someone posted on JCs twitter, linked to the SBD recording of the show on youtube. I give it 2 days before that is down and somebody gets a C+D

is this available as an sbd? 04-14 is...

Gooch
04-25-2016, 09:28 PM
is this available as an sbd? 04-14 is...
Ok yeah it was 4/14.

same end result.

slunken
04-25-2016, 09:44 PM
k

Ram27
04-25-2016, 11:52 PM
So is D'arcy there?

Psychodelic
04-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know what date this video is from?
https://youtu.be/7Ps_isgQqWA

Raskolnikov
04-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know what date this video is from?
https://youtu.be/7Ps_isgQqWA

Yup - that was from the first night of the tour, 4/10/99 in Detroit. Watched that action front row center streaming 56kbps AOL dial up status. (Which, as I recall, timed out and failed miserably, so I downloaded that HD MPEG later sometime)

Gooch
04-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Yup - that was from the first night of the tour, 4/10/99 in Detroit. Watched that action front row center streaming 56kbps AOL dial up status. (Which, as I recall, timed out and failed miserably, so I downloaded that HD MPEG later sometime)

I love that story. . .

Grox
04-29-2016, 12:52 PM
Good point. Prob right. Although I like to imagine that they were going through the archives, figuring out which Arising show to release in honor of darcy rejoining the band. I like this scenario better.

no, i did a write-up on the 4/24/99 show and tagged Jimmy and James and all the SP fan groups on twitter, that's how he saw it.

FoolofaTook
04-29-2016, 04:59 PM

fuck you in your ass.

I saw Zwan. front and center, whoreson.

I saw Boris. front right center AND left, you cuntlord.

I saw Midsummer's Night's Dream at the Globe. front and center, you simian mongoloid.

ask the plp behind who had a six foot six slavic legend blocking their view if it was, and I quote, "total bullshit."

now go hide in some corner with monte, motherfucker.

iPumpkin
05-02-2016, 01:57 AM
I missed that Detroit show for no reason at all. The adore tour show in Detroit was a major snoozer and ticket prices had jumped big time so when they came back with no new material and Jimmy back wasn't announced, I passed. A few girls came by to visit after the show while I was working were going on about how heavy they show was and it was all new material.

I still cry every time I think about it.

Raskolnikov
05-11-2016, 08:48 PM
I missed that Detroit show for no reason at all. The adore tour show in Detroit was a major snoozer and ticket prices had jumped big time so when they came back with no new material and Jimmy back wasn't announced, I passed. A few girls came by to visit after the show while I was working were going on about how heavy they show was and it was all new material.

I still cry every time I think about it.

What a drag. I managed to get tickets to the Roxy show in LA by smashing the F5 key in frustration as AOL dial-up lagged thru my badass US Robotics 55.6 KBPS modem... and somehow, I came out with tickets like 20 minutes after they went on sale. Probably because somebody else was on some garbage 33.6 modem and it couldn't handle the speedz.

Forgot that Jimmy being back wasn't announced. It just... happened. Then that MPEG came out and I Am One revved up and holy poop it was awesome. Same feelings that occurred when James walked out to join BC last month in LA.

Ram27
05-11-2016, 10:03 PM
^I can't even imagine how it'd feel, being in Detroit that first night, not knowing what was happening with the band, and hearing the I Am One intro

redbull
05-12-2016, 11:22 AM
with all the lights down and then the drums hit

god

myosis
05-12-2016, 01:14 PM
WITH THE LIGHTS OUT

redbull
05-12-2016, 01:42 PM
ITS LESS DANGEROUS

Funbags
05-12-2016, 05:25 PM
HERE WE ARE NOW

slunken
05-12-2016, 05:30 PM
*guitar solo*

myosis
05-12-2016, 05:43 PM
ban Funbags plz

Funbags
05-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Funbans

redbull
05-12-2016, 09:43 PM
wan monee

redbull
05-12-2016, 09:43 PM
this is just like reddit but there are no downvotes

Reyngel
05-12-2016, 10:02 PM

I have photos of me being in line. Plus, ask a few people from on here who were also at that show.

Reyngel
05-12-2016, 10:05 PM
hey Reyngal...Did you get sprayed with fire from the QOTSA bassist that night? I was right in front of Darcy's mic that evening, so was he, that shit hurt for awhile. Most seriously fun fucked up Rock n Roll moment I ever had as a fan.

Ha, I definitely felt the fire and whatever liquid was being spewn on stage. You must have been pretty close behind me in line that night. It went me, my girlfriend at the time, another couple, two other guys, and then I forget. I was wearing a black dress shirt... which was stupid, because it was hot as fuck in there.

T&T
05-12-2016, 10:13 PM
what's r/smashingpumpkins like?
I imagine a bunch of kids "check out this awesome rare video" with a link to Cherub Rock from viewphoria.

Reyngel
05-12-2016, 10:23 PM
In case any of you find it interesting, here are a few tidbits of whatever I can recall from being at that the final show at the Roxy:

-The doorman gave out Mike and Ike candies to the first few people in line. And for being first in line, he also gave me a drink coupon for a free drink at the bar(even though I was only 17 at the time).
-D'arcy arrived at the show alone, and not with Billy, James and Jimmy. She pulled up riding in a white van wearing her western hat and sunglasses.
-D'arcy's van was surrounded by fans when she got out in the alleyway... but she scoffed and refused to sign autographs. I have a photo somewhere of her outside the van looking pissed.
-It was hot as fuck inside the club. I stupidly wore a black dress shirt and overheated during With Every Light. Sweat was pouring down the band's faces by the end.
-People booed Queens of the Stone Age pretty hard.
-When the band took the stage, every single light in the place was turned off. Out of nowhere, the bass drum power of Jimmy's I Am One intro blasted into our faces, still with the lights off. It wasn't until the guitars started that one little light turned on to reflect off the metal of the guitar tuning pegs. Then when the main riff started, all the lights turned on, with Billy Corgan 2 feet in front of me, and the rest of the band crushing it. Pretty crazy way to start a show.
-Geek USA that night was the most powerful song I've ever seen them play live out of the 20+ shows I've seen. While I didn't make it out to the Spreckles show the night before, I did hear that they didn't end with Geek, and it had me bummed that I'd miss it at the Roxy. After some back and forth at the end about it being crazy hot inside, Billy said something like, "Alright, one more for brutality's sake," and blew the roof off the club with Geek. All 4 of them looked super fired up and raged.
-After the show, D'arcy quickly left afterward, looking kind of inebriated and frustrated, got back into the white van, and sped off down Sunset Boulevard. I never saw Billy leave, but Jimmy waved and threw up a rock-on hand sign to the people outside, and James signed a few autographs.

Grox
05-13-2016, 12:04 AM
sounds like D'arcy was on Drugs

amoergosum
05-13-2016, 02:00 AM
-D'arcy's van was surrounded by fans when she got out in the alleyway... but she scoffed and refused to sign autographs. I have a photo somewhere of her outside the van looking pissed.

I'd like to see that picture!

Unicycle
05-13-2016, 05:14 PM
I imagine a bunch of kids "check out this awesome rare video" with a link to Cherub Rock from viewphoria.

I'd say it's for somewhat dedicated fans. Doesn't have the negativity that Netphoria does so the discussions aren't as entertaining to read

crabshack
05-13-2016, 10:10 PM

it's exactly like this forum and you're kind of right