View Full Version : Why is mike Byrne is hated?

paranoid
06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Actually I kind of like him now.

amoergosum
06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
...can't believe that YOU started this thread. This is a joke, right?

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
geez of course

stripes
06-20-2012, 11:13 AM
no fuck mike byrne and fuck hew!!!!!

brendo_91
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
cymbal basher

subzero
06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
he stinks, and continually ruins my favorite songs

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
he's fine, he's not jimmy chamberlin and everyone gives him shit for that

it's like being mad at your team mate during a pick up basketball game for not being michael jordan

paranoid
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
I never expected a jimmy chamberlin replacement to be as good as jimmy chamberlin. I expected billy to either a- replace him with someone radically different who would bring something new and fresh to the pumpkins.. Or b) someone who could play well. Instead he found someone with poor technique and a lack of musicality and directed him to try and play like chamberlin.

But seriously I am starting to like him. Just takes time to warm up to certain things.

soniclovenoize
06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Do you play drums paranoid?

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I GOT A BONE TO PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND A FEW TO BREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paranoid
06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Do you play drums paranoid?

Why do you ask? Is this one of those 'well you can only comment on this if you actually play drums' arguments?

Yes I do. I'm not as good technically as either of these drummers. You want someone who can comment from that angle, ask the drevpile guy.

paranoid
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
And being completely serious, I really don't mind his drumming on the new record.. As everyone has said its serviceable. And at this point it doesn't fucking matter. He's there to stay, and the new songs aren't sounding terrible.

soniclovenoize
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Why did you ask why I asked? Is there a reason you'd immediately switch to the defensive?

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 11:28 AM
what's the best way to disarm the idiotic, privileged, self-infatuated "if you don't do x you have no place to criticize" statements

it gets really annoying when some asshole who plays basketball shittily at the YMCA thinks he's more of an authority on that sport even though he never watches any games ever and thinks kobe bryant is the best player of all time i mean just hypothetically speaking

paranoid
06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Why did you ask why I asked? Is there a reason you'd immediately switch to the defensive?

Just trying to understand your angle here, and it's the typical response I see people use on the oboard when someone opines on mikes drumming. Why on the defensive? It's how my mind works.

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 11:32 AM
oh i got it

when someone says that then you go "well that goes for both positive and negative feedback so unless you're a rock star with a legacy grungeosaur band you can't say SHIT."

soniclovenoize
06-20-2012, 11:36 AM
I never said any of that, did I? I just asked if paranoid played drums. That's a pretty honest question, don't you think?

soniclovenoize
06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Just trying to understand your angle here, and it's the typical response I see people use on the oboard when someone opines on mikes drumming. Why on the defensive? It's how my mind works.

My angle is that I wanted to know if you played drums or not.

meangreensp
06-20-2012, 11:39 AM
After hearing Cherub Rock in 2000 on Arising but now Cherub Rock on iHeartRadio...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f1SIIETUVF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, not so much.

He beats the shit out of the toms. It's fucking annoying. He's serviceable but far from good.

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 11:41 AM
so i think cartman started off as an impression of billy corgan

paranoid
06-20-2012, 11:42 AM
My angle is that I wanted to know if you played drums or not.

Now could you tell me why you wanted to know that?

soniclovenoize
06-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Curiosity. :)

amoergosum
06-20-2012, 11:44 AM
And being completely serious, I really don't mind his drumming on the new record.. As everyone has said its serviceable.

...somebody brainwashed paranoid.

paranoid
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Curiosity. :)

Right. I think you got called out.

soniclovenoize
06-20-2012, 12:38 PM
No, not at all. Your criticisms are really specific, so that made me wonder if you are a drummer. That's why I asked.

Stop being so defensive.

scottytheoneand
06-20-2012, 12:39 PM
the next album will be a double album.. twice as much Mike as the first one

paranoid
06-20-2012, 12:42 PM
No, not at all. Your criticisms are really specific, so that made me wonder if you are a drummer. That's why I asked.

Stop being so defensive.

Hey dude, that's all you had to say, and I wouldnt have continued being so defensive.

soniclovenoize
06-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey dude, that's all you had to say, and I wouldnt have continued being so defensive.

Here have a happyface

:)

BurtSampson
06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
They should just rehire Matt Walker instead

SlingeroGuitaro
06-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm pretty sure most of his drums were replaced by Steven Slate samples. There is about as much character to them.

brendo_91
06-20-2012, 05:04 PM
THERE ARE DRUMS ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US
THERE ARE MORE THAN CYMBALS TO BE WITH YOU
MIKE BYRNE IS DRUMMER
MY BAND IS LOST

Springbridge
06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
I know I'm going to be getting a lot of people riled up with this comment/opinion, but I find it fascinating no ever criticizes or even mentions Kenny Arnoff, who replaced Jimmy in 1998. From my memory, that guy stunk worse than Mike Byrne...I don't think I've seen a worse drummer for the Pumpkins. During live concerts, he couldn't follow the music, would smash symbols and just be over all sloppy and sound bad. Looking back at it, I think Billy knew this too, so he hired two other percussionists to distract from Arnoff's lack of technique.

It's OK to believe Byrne isn't a good drummer, but it gets tired and old to hear the same people whine and whine, cry and complain like spoiled princesses while on the floor, banging their fists over and over. We get it, you don't like the drummer. But the drummers for the Smashing Pumpkins constantly change...they always have. Like it or lump it, that's the way it goes. So until the next new drummer comes, why not enjoy the moment. :)

BurtSampson
06-20-2012, 06:19 PM
yeah Kenny Aronoff was pretty fucking terrible.

scottytheoneand
06-20-2012, 06:21 PM
thread has taken a horrible turn

brendo_91
06-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Aronoff has played on more records than you've listened to. Not the right fit for sp though.

Monet LSD
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
would smash symbols

http://www.creativecrash.com/system/photos/000/082/184/82184/big/SledgeHammer1.gif?1266648741

http://graphicdesignjunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/symbol-vector-icons-preview.jpg

scottytheoneand
06-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Aronoff has played on more records than you've listened to. Not the right fit for sp though.

dude is a boss, though. One of the best drummers around.

Monet LSD
06-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Arnoff's lack of technique

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CI6A_Ek0GQE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 06:39 PM
yeah if kenny was so terrible whycome i see him playing so much

SlingeroGuitaro
06-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Arnoff gave a lecture/clinic while I was at IU. the dude is amazing to say the least.

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 06:47 PM
springbridge knows nothing! NOTHING

samuel redman
06-20-2012, 07:19 PM
he sure plays fast

reprise85
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
he looks like a tool when he plays but yeah he kicks some ass

Venom
06-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Mikey is getting better at playing the drums. So I'll give him that one.

paranoid
06-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey spring ridge if you don't like it don't read it. That simple.

Kenny was a great drummer. I loved the whole percussion section of that tour.

paranoid
06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
But how awesome is Byrne, right?

Venom
06-20-2012, 07:40 PM
If Arnoff sucks so badly, why's he touring for Chickenfoot while Chad's doing the Peppers then?

BurtSampson
06-20-2012, 07:58 PM
If Arnoff sucks so badly, why's he touring for Chickenfoot while Chad's doing the Peppers then?

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2012/04/anderson-cooper-giggle-fit-over-dyngus-day-video-e1334224269838.jpg

Springbridge
06-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Kenny Arnoff certainly isn't a bad drummer, he just didn't demonstrate his technique well in the Pumpkins, in my opinion. Just look and listen to him...I'm not feeling it at all. If you skip to the fast parts at 6:00- that's where you can tell he is getting pretty lost. I'm sorry to say, but Byrne was and is better for the Pumpkins. At least he follows the music more fluidly and feels the music.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W5cSTKc7k24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Monet LSD
06-20-2012, 11:01 PM
If you skip to the fast parts at 6:00- that's where you can tell he is getting pretty lost.

* There's not a "fast part"; that song remains the same tempo throughout.

* In no way, shape, or form does he ever get even remotely "lost" during that performance of a very straightforward, stripped-down version of that song.

* The audio/video sync is hella off on that vid, so maybe that's what you're getting confused by.

* There are several percussionists playing different things at once, and that may account for some very, very slight overlapping clunkiness at times.

Trotskilicious
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
this is great

TheAeroplane
06-20-2012, 11:08 PM
who hates him ? netphorians don't count

Venom
06-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Let's put this to rest regarding Kenny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5dscCdq_pw

samuel redman
06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
mike is awful. that's all she wrote, folks

iPumpkin
06-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Mike is a nice dude.

amoergosum
06-21-2012, 03:17 AM
Looking back at it, I think Billy knew this too, so he hired two other percussionists to distract from Arnoff's lack of technique.

You don't know what you're talking about.
So all these major artists hired Aronoff because of his "lack of technique"...right...yeah...that must be it >>>

http://kennyaronoff.com/about/discography (http://kennyaronoff.com/about/discography)

"The percussion enhanced what I was doing, and they were there mostly to replace the loops and sequences on the Adore album. Billy didn’t want to use loops to play to every night."

Source:
http://www.angelfire.com/sd/main0/msic1.html

Here's what Billy said sbout him:

As for how Corgan feels about Aronoff, he told the Boston Globe last week, "He's been fantastic. His maturity and his experience have really helped bring this album to fruition live. He brings a kind of consistency every night that we've never been used to."

Source:
http://www.berkshireweb.com/rogovoy/thebeat/beat98730.html

Springbridge
06-21-2012, 03:31 AM
The dude definitely has talent and technique (he wouldn't have been chosen to play professionally with the Pumpkins otherwise). Just not in the Pumpkins, IMO. Judging by all these great solo videos being posted, it looks like he is better on his own.

Billy also says a lot of great things about Mike Byrne, too! ;)

Spira|_
06-21-2012, 05:52 AM
I love him too.
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6770/mike3f.jpg

aztec litany service
06-21-2012, 05:53 AM
I never expected a jimmy chamberlin replacement to be as good as jimmy chamberlin. I expected billy to either a- replace him with someone radically different who would bring something new and fresh to the pumpkins.. Or b) someone who could play well. Instead he found someone with poor technique and a lack of musicality and directed him to try and play like chamberlin.
that's pretty much my take on it as well
too bad matt walker wasn't available

Eulogy
06-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Kenny was a great drummer. I loved the whole percussion section of that tour.

I agree with this. Intros to Ava Adore and Pug were sweeeeeeet

fuzzyroes
06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Byrnes pretty brutal live... He sounds decent on the album though... But theres not much character. You can tell its been edited non stop... But atleast the drumming doesn't detract from the songs like it did during Teargarden... So thats a plus for the little fella in my books.

amoergosum
06-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Here's a quote from a new interview >>>

I told you...it is Billy's School of Rock.

Corgan: "To reverse the mirror a little bit, in my case, Mike, when he joined me, he was 19 and was working at McDonald's. He'd never been in the studio and had never played in front of more than 50 people. So he has this incredible natural talent, blistering hand speed and a great natural groove. He's like Kenny Aronoff level with a natural meter – it's kind of crazy. We don't even need to use click tracks with him because he's a natural, consistent player.

Lee: "Wow, that's great."

Corgan: "It's crazy! So you look at somebody with a natural gift and you're like, 'Where did this come from?' So you take this 19-year-old kid, and you start trying to build up his mind into how to approach his drums from a writing standpoint and a support standpoint when he doesn't have any of those contexts. At the same time, you want him to bring his own voice to the table because he's bringing a fresh set of influences which only somebody in their teens or 20s can bring. He's listening to all these bands that I'm never going to listen to. We laugh and call them the 'bear' bands – 'bear this' and 'All The Bear,' they all have bear names, I don't know. [Lee laughs]

"We've been on this journey together, and on Oceania there's these moments where's he's scratching his head; he doesn't really understand what I'm looking for 'cause he's playing his ass off. At that point, he hasn't turned the corner where he can hear the army of guitars that's going to go on top of it. He's reacting simply to the information he's been given. I'm sure it's similar with the Rush guys, you know, you're given some scratch tracks and you're playing along or whatever. It's certainly not how it's going to end up all finished and polished up.

"So it's hard sometimes. I was used to Jimmy Chamberlin, who had an intuitive gift at being able to hear that orchestra in his head as he played. So here's Mike, 21 years old, and I'm going, 'Come on, you've got to lift yourself up and sort of lean into the space and imagine what's going to be there.' He doesn't have that experience; he's got to kind of trust my word on it. And what's been nice, now that the record's done and people are reacting to it, and he's seeing how people are reacting to his drumming and his support of the music, he's come back to me and said, 'Now I'm beginning to really understand.' It's cool to watch him go through that process."

Lee: "That's a great experience for him, man. That's what it's all about."

Corgan: "And people get kind of crazy and try to compare him to Jimmy Chamberlin – you know, I started playing with him when he was in his mid-20s. So here's Mike, five years younger and at the start of this journey. And I've had to say to a few fans, 'Let the kid have his journey here.' You know, we could fake him into perfectness, but that's not what you really want. Let him have his journey, take the ride with him and watch him mature, and let him figure it out for himself."

P.S.: "...a great natural groove. He's like Kenny Aronoff level with a natural meter"
Give me a break. Billy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Source:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/geddy-lee-and-billy-corgan-on-concept-albums-jamming-singing-and-more-550329/7

rottenugly
06-30-2012, 07:42 PM
We laugh and call them the 'bear' bands – 'bear this' and 'All The Bear,' they all have bear names, I don't know.

krackhead
07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Mike Bryne is hated because his favorite band and primary influences are my chemical romance and "the used." =(