View Full Version : How long did it take Billy Corgan to write and record "Have Faithe Be Merrie"?

morespsoon
12-25-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm guessing it took around an hour. To me it points out something important: even the most talented artists can look average (or below average) if they don't put out enough effort. I can't play any instruments and I'm not a good singer but I bet I could use some kind of musical software and write and record something that sounds much better than "Have Faithe Be Merrie". Does that mean I have talent or does it mean that Billy Corgan is continuing to devolve as an artist?

slunken
12-25-2011, 12:28 AM
you bet, eh?

what are my odds?

morespsoon
12-25-2011, 12:31 AM
you bet, eh?

what are my odds?

That's too subjective a thing to bet on. There's no clear cut winner no matter what.

Rickpat12
12-25-2011, 01:26 AM
let us be the judge of that.

great poster
12-25-2011, 01:59 AM
2 hours.

lala
12-25-2011, 02:11 AM
I'm guessing it took around an hour. To me it points out something important: even the most talented artistists can look average (or below average) if they don't put out enough effort. I can't play any instruments and I'm not a good singer but I bet I could use some kind of musical software and write and record something that sounds much better than "Have Faithe Be Merrie". Does that mean I have talent or does it mean that Billy Corgan is continuing to devolve as an artist?

i have something for you in my pants

Irridescent Fairysex
12-25-2011, 03:14 AM
i have something for you in my pants

crap?

lala
12-25-2011, 03:19 AM
crap?

no, candy. want any?

cokefantastic
12-25-2011, 03:47 AM
I think BC was just throwing something online for some christmas themed fun. lighten the fuck up.

Kahlo
12-25-2011, 04:10 AM
artistists

artistists

artistists

artistists

artistists

artistists

I know this is Netphoria and all, but stop being such a whinging crybaby. This song is just a piece of fun and is meant as such.

Fuck, some of you can be borderline retarded at times.

morespsoon
12-25-2011, 04:36 AM
I know this is Netphoria and all, but stop being such a whinging crybaby. This song is just a piece of fun and is meant as such.

Fuck, some of you can be borderline retarded at times.

Some people would take offense to comments like this but there's an old saying...

"If you can't attack the message, attack the messenger."

When that happens I'm pretty sure I've won the argument. Thank you. :smoke:

Trotskilicious
12-25-2011, 04:39 AM
I can't play any instruments and I'm not a good singer but I bet I could use some kind of musical software and write and record something that sounds much better than "Have Faithe Be Merrie".

where is it bro, you got an hour

cokefantastic
12-25-2011, 04:49 AM
Some people would take offense to comments like this but there's an old saying...

"If you can't attack the message, attack the messenger."

When that happens I'm pretty sure I've won the argument. Thank you. :smoke:

what's the argument? whether or not YOU can write a song better than BC's throw-aways? You can't.

Trotskilicious
12-25-2011, 04:52 AM
well he could he could it's possible, there's lots of people right now who actually are writing better songs than BC's throw aways and i do mean LOTS but he hasn't actually put up the proof yet so lets wait on that one

morespsoon
12-25-2011, 05:09 AM
what's the argument? whether or not YOU can write a song better than BC's throw-aways? You can't.

This is the argument:

To me it points out something important: even the most talented artists can look average (or below average) if they don't put out enough effort.

When I said "average" I was even talking about average professional musicians, I'm talking about average people period (taking into account the computer software that's out there). I really think the average person could come up with something better than "Have Faithe Be Merrie" and that's the point I was making although I didn't say it reallly clearly in my original post. I was only using myself as an example.

morespsoon
12-25-2011, 05:12 AM

I can't get adaquate software and learn how to use it and write a song plus lyrics in one hour. Billy Corgan has written hundreds of songs and he's an expert guitar player and a professional musician. I didn't say there would be a time limit to my side.

morespsoon
12-25-2011, 05:45 AM

I'm A the following "tracks" which I wrote and recorded using xtranormal in about 30 min each. Please understand I didn't put much thought or time into them, I did them only for fun and they were done within the limitations of xtranormal which is not designed for music. If I could create songs with proper software and time they would be much better than these. Anyways, even with the limitations I had I like both of these "songs" better than "Have Faithe Be Merrie" because they're entertaining and funny plus they're actually thought-provoking (to me at least). For the first one I was able to change the message to my netphoria info but for the second one I couldn't remember my password or email I used to create the account so I'm posting the lyrics as some sort of proof that it's me that composed the "song":

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6002833/

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6002885

Worshippin’ the illiminaughty - lyrics

Yeah. Yeah.

Let' s all worship the illiminaughty.
Jesus, Vishnu, Buddha, Mohammed
They're all dead.

My girl asked me to sex her up with class but I said Hell No god's got a plan for your ass.
Word. I used to worship dead presidents but now I be worshippin the dead residents. Gee

They're all dead.

I once tried to be a fortune teller but now my ass is saved I won't burn like an unsaved feller.
Yo yo. My boys want me to be naughty but I say hell no, gotta worship the illiminaughty.

They're all dead.

My gang is plannin a bank robbery but my bible says I gotta give god all the bribery.
Right on brother. I was a lost soul doin time but the lord gave me this rhyme.

They're all dead.

You know it's sad the unsaved will burn but we gotta show em love until it's their turn.
Amen to the highest. I used to think life was all about gettin' high but I now know the invisible man in the sky.

They're all dead.ch

Kahlo
12-25-2011, 06:41 AM
hey hey

yeh

hey hey yeah yeh you pal

aye, c'mover here

aye, so yeh

gonnae shut the fuck up pal?

fuzzyroes
12-25-2011, 07:05 AM
I think this track was most likely just an old throw away demo from when SP was creating a song for that Christmas album... Its not intended to be some masterpiece... Enjoy it for what it is.

MusicMan4
12-25-2011, 07:09 AM
who fuckin cares
why does it matter

he probably wrote today and 10 minutes and soma in a couple hours
why give a shit
lennon and mccartney tossed off some of the best songs every in 20 minutes
like this isn't even a topic thatn be discussed. you should all be ashamed of yourselves

antiskum
12-25-2011, 07:42 AM
53 minutes 42 seconds

morespsoon
12-25-2011, 08:35 AM
who fuckin cares
why does it matter

he probably wrote today and 10 minutes and soma in a couple hours
why give a shit
lennon and mccartney tossed off some of the best songs every in 20 minutes
like this isn't even a topic thatn be discussed. you should all be ashamed of yourselves

The question was about "writing and recording". I agree it doesn't matter how long it takes to write but Corgan clearly spent as little time as possible on the recording part and it shows.

Of course, I've always loved the Machina demos which were probably recorded in mostly the same way. You know, it's probably the lack of soul and passion in the recording that bothers me. If the song was sung with the same kind of soul and passion that the Machina demos had I think I wouldn't care about this topic at all.

So, maybe the real problem isn't time at all but something else, thanks for helping me to see it.

Gossamer
12-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I think the quality of a song is directly related to inspiration as opposed to time spent.