View Full Version : rolling stone zwan interview.

Boycott Graceland
03-13-2003, 04:16 AM
Born Again Corgan

With Zwan, the former Pumpkin gets to be nineteen again

By David Fricke

Billy Corgan stands straight and still at his microphone, in a black, long-sleeved top with an image of a Hindu elephant deity on it. It is only four songs into Corgan's show with his new band, Zwan, at the Docks, a dance hall on the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, Germany. But he can't wait to testify.
"Jesus, I've taken my cross/All to leave and follow thee," Corgan prays in a kind of choked chant over the bubbling-lava guitars of Matt Sweeney and David Pajo. The words are adapted from an antique volume of folk and gospel songs, published in 1899, that Corgan acquired a few years ago, and he sings them over and over, locked in bliss. Then drummer Jimmy Chamberlin jumps in with a violent thump, and Zwan's three guitars, Corgan's *******d, blow up in fifteen minutes of fuzz-box hosanna, until Corgan bawls his lungs raw in a final psychedelic rush: "Reborn, reborn, yeeeaaah!"

"Jesus, I" is the peak of Zwan's debut album, Mary Star of the Sea, half of a medley with the title track. In Hamburg, "Jesus, I" is a long hot bath of ecstasy by itself: as heavy in force as anything Corgan wrote or played with the Pumpkins, but brighter in spirit. The song -- and Zwan -- are the sound of a burden lifted and left behind.

"Faith is the great energy -- as long as one has faith, you're willing to try, to take another chance," Corgan says the day before the show, in a Hamburg hotel room. He doesn't have a name for his faith. When Corgan was a boy, his father -- William Sr., a guitarist -- told Billy that God did not exist: "He said if God existed, the world wouldn't be so cruel. My stepmom was very Catholic. I went to church until I was eight. I turned to her one day and said, 'I don't want to come anymore.'

"I had a conversation recently with a fan about this," Corgan goes on. "I said, 'I don't think God really cares how you do it, just that you're willing to do it. This is not ice skating.' " Corgan takes a gulp of bottled water. "God wants you to amble toward the right spot on the horizon. You might fuck up, but the idea is that you're willing to get up and keep moving toward that light."

Corgan, 36, did that for thirteen years with the Pumpkins, pushing them through cycles of triumph (more than 25 million albums sold) and crisis: the fatal overdose of touring member Jonathan Melvoin and Chamberlin's temporary firing in 1996; the clouded exit of bassist D'Arcy Wretzky in 1999. Except for a wisp of beard, Corgan looks just as he did when we last spoke, the day of the Pumpkins' final show, in Chicago in December 2000 -- shaven head, black turtleneck sweater, baggy brown pants.

But there is a new cheer in Corgan's voice. "I'm the spy who came in from the cold," he cracks. His leap from the anxious density of the Pumpkins' 1999 goodbye, Machina/The Machines of God, to the meaty swing and triple-guitar rain of Zwan songs such as "Honestly" is, he claims, "the difference between head and heart. Let a song be a song. It doesn't have to move mountains."

The Pumpkins are, he says, "a dead issue. It's like what they do with nuclear waste: bury it underground in a concrete bunker." Zwan -- Corgan, Chamberlin, Sweeney, Pajo and bassist Paz Lenchantin -- do not play Pumpkins songs in concert. "Even in rehearsal," Chamberlin says, "I can't remember a time when we fucked with a Pumpkins riff. We put it to bed. And we meant it."

Still, Corgan returns to the subject and shadow of the Pumpkins with little prompting. He describes his fruitless attempt to get the band's label, Virgin, to release the Pumpkins' last show (all four hours and thirty-five songs) as a live album: "I kept trying to set the timetable. They wouldn't pull the trigger." He also runs down some of the ammo he's got for a box set someday: two dozen demos predating the Pumpkins' 1991 debut, Gish; 160 hours of rehearsals for the 1995 double CD Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness; fifteen unreleased songs written for the 1998 gothic opera Adore.

"It's no great mystery that the Pumpkins were everything to me," he says. "I was totally burnt after that last show. But after four weeks, I started writing songs. That was weird. In the Pumpkins, when we came off a tour, I'd already be writing for the next thing. This time, there was nothing to write for."

Sweeney ran into Corgan at a Christmas party in New York at the end of 2000. The two had been friends, on and off, since meeting at a Pumpkins gig in New Jersey in 1991. Sweeney loved the Pumpkins' long guitar solos; Corgan was a fan of Sweeney's punk group, Skunk. "He seemed pretty bummed," Sweeney says of Corgan's mood at that party. "I said, 'Congratulations on breaking up the band. It's good to move on.' But he didn't seem to know what to do. He seemed adrift."

Corgan considered retirement. He even tried it, wandering through Italy in the late winter of 2001 with his girlfriend, Yelena Yemchuk. Corgan also met with several major labels, packing what he admits was a threadbare proposal: "There's no band, no music yet. Do you want to sign me?"

He did have a name -- Zwan, which came to him in Italy -- and by the spring of 2001, something to go with it, after a writing session with Sweeney and Chamberlin at a studio outside Salt Lake City. A year later, Corgan was still without a record deal but was recording Mary Star of the Sea with his own money and a pool of, by Chamberlin's count, a hundred new songs. "It's not too different from the way we started the Pumpkins," Chamberlin says. "We played for two years and saved every dime we made -- $30,000 -- to make Gish."

Corgan also surrounded himself with equals. Pajo was a star in his own right; he played guitar for prog-grunge legends Slint. Lenchantin, the Argentine-born daughter of concert pianists, played bass in the Tool splinter group A Perfect Circle; she is also a classically trained violinist. And Sweeney, Corgan says admiringly, "can hear a Thin Lizzy song one time and play it back perfectly a year later. He can access all sorts of information on the fly." Another token of Corgan's esteem: When Sweeney quit his day job managing Andrew W.K. to join Zwan, Corgan advanced him money to live on while the band was getting off the ground.

"I'd heard what a tyrant Billy was," Pajo says, acknowledging well-known tales of Corgan playing all of the guitar and bass parts on Pumpkins records. "But he never said, 'Play this, play that.' The hardest thing, sometimes, was Billy's delivery. He'd say, 'You're playing like shit,' when I actually was." Pajo laughs. "But I'd be like, 'Can you say it in more motivating words?' "

"I really wanted to be in another band," Corgan concedes. "I love the romance and safety of a band" -- which doesn't mean he misses the Pumpkins. Corgan says he's had no contact, other than business exchanges, with Wretzky or guitarist James Iha since the end of that group. "I exhausted it," he says of his former life, "and left it. Zwan is more akin to my real self, the guy who watches sports and stuff. It's closer to me at nineteen than the guy at twenty-eight, with all of that gravity."

If you don't believe him, look at the band credits in the Zwan CD booklet, where Corgan lists himself as Billy Burke. Corgan grins. "Billie Burke played Glinda, the good witch, in The Wizard of Oz," he says. "I'm tired of playing the wicked witch."

SP33
03-13-2003, 04:20 AM
Any pictures? Who's on the cover?

Thanks for writing it out :)

Liquid-J
03-13-2003, 06:28 AM
that was a cool article, thanks! that sucks about virgin not committing to releasing the last show, i wonder if we will ever see that now.

and this is a different slant on the billy burke thing than what everyone thought, no?

sweeny used to manage andrew wk??:erm

liquid slide
03-13-2003, 08:20 AM
yeah that was great thanks. billy seems to like fricke, he's done quite a few interviews with him.

unperson81
03-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland
Still, Corgan returns to the subject and shadow of the Pumpkins with little prompting. He describes his fruitless attempt to get the band's label, Virgin, to release the Pumpkins' last show (all four hours and thirty-five songs) as a live album: "I kept trying to set the timetable. They wouldn't pull the trigger." He also runs down some of the ammo he's got for a box set someday: two dozen demos predating the Pumpkins' 1991 debut, Gish; 160 hours of rehearsals for the 1995 double CD Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness; fifteen unreleased songs written for the 1998 gothic opera Adore.

This is depressing. It's bad enough they wouldn't release the last show in any form, full and officially but to have all that just sitting there. I hope all this doesn't sit around as all that Nirvana stuff still is.

spfreak
03-13-2003, 10:21 AM
billy and james don't talk :(
thats kinda disturbing :(

INFECTED
03-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by unperson81

This is depressing. It's bad enough they wouldn't release the last show in any form, full and officially but to have all that just sitting there. I hope all this doesn't sit around as all that Nirvana stuff still is.

cap'n jazz
03-13-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by spfreak

sux sux sux

Travis Meekz
03-13-2003, 12:19 PM
awesome

neopryn
03-13-2003, 12:48 PM
15 unreleased Adore songs?!?!

Caine Walker
03-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
15 unreleased Adore songs?!?!

that's what i said!

Injektilo
03-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Now is that "billy unreleased" or "Virgin unreleased".... cause theres plenty of adore demos we never got out of virgin other than whats on Judas O, but that Billy managed to leak to us.
But if its 15 (!) songs that no one but the band has ever heard.... hot damn!.

Boycott Graceland
03-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo
Now is that "billy unreleased" or "Virgin unreleased".... cause theres plenty of adore demos we never got out of virgin other than whats on Judas O, but that Billy managed to leak to us.
But if its 15 (!) songs that no one but the band has ever heard.... hot damn!.

i doubt he will leak those. if for no other reason, he doesn't seem to like the trading community very much right now.

Boycott Graceland
03-13-2003, 02:46 PM
fifteen unreleased songs written for the 1998 gothic opera Adore.

i bet he still considers songs like chewing gum and do you close your eyes "unreleased," so it's probably somewhere near 8 or 9 previously unheard tracks.

CandyPotter
03-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Thank God for David Fricke. I was actually lying in bed the other night wondering when he'd finally interview them. I don't know what the deal is, voodoo jedi mind tricks or what, but he has this incredible way of getting Billy to talk about stuff I want to know. I mean, it really doesn't matter if I know what Matt was doing before Zwan, but it's also really interesting to find out. Yeah. If I could wave my hands and make it happen, I'd love to listen to Fricke's tapes of interviews with TSP and Zwan. What a gift he is. Maybe it's just that he and Corgan have a special relationship, I don't know, but it's great... hopefully we'll get another next year.

shaniqua
03-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by spfreak

it's not surprising in the least bit.

Reyngel
03-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Okay, fuck Zwan for a minute. I want those Adore songs. Then he can get back to his good witch shit.

hereisnowhy
03-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Awesome interview, thanks.

abyopp
03-13-2003, 05:46 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featuregen.asp?pid=1592

there's your link.

it's in the upcoming issue with fitty' cent on the cover.

Ugly
03-13-2003, 07:53 PM
He describes his fruitless attempt to get the band's label, Virgin, to release the Pumpkins' last show (all four hours and thirty-five songs) as a live album: "I kept trying to set the timetable. They wouldn't pull the trigger."

worst news I've heard all day. booo. this sucks.

03-14-2003, 02:19 AM
That was a really depressing artical Smashing Pumpkins wise, from Billy not talking to James or Darcy, to all the unrealeased stuff that Virgin won't put out. Just everything he said about the pumpkins was negitive and sad.

But then all the stuff he said about Zwan was pretty cool :confused:

Boycott Graceland
03-14-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by 1979
But then all the stuff he said about Zwan was pretty cool :confused:

are you lost, little boy?

VegasPumpkin
03-14-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Ugly

worst news I've heard all day. booo. this sucks. me too. I hope that the metro show does get released someday. Otherwise, it was a very good article.

INFECTED
03-14-2003, 06:37 AM
if i werebilly, you would release these songs on the net
just like he did with machina 2

TiaraGurl
03-15-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by CandyPotter
Thank God for David Fricke.

For two years (97-99)I wrote David Fricke every month begging him to put the Pumpkins on t he cover once again and when I ran into him in 2000 he said "I don't own the magazine"

I think he is one of the last rock journalists who is really interested int he music and not the typical stuff that goes with Rock and roll. I think him and billy are each in one and others mutual admiration soceity.

Yeah I guess it is not surprising that Billy and James don'talk-hopefully they will in 2016.

the_marked
03-15-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by shaunna

it's not surprising in the least bit.

what's that song in your sig?

VegasPumpkin
03-15-2003, 08:39 AM
When Sweeney quit his day job managing Andrew W.K. to join Zwan, Corgan advanced him money to live on while the band was getting off the ground.
Thats hilarious. I could see Sweeney hanging out with Andrew W.K., can't you?

Ugly
03-15-2003, 01:44 PM

He describes his fruitless attempt to get the band's label, Virgin, to release the Pumpkins' last show (all four hours and thirty-five songs) as a live album: "I kept trying to set the timetable. They wouldn't pull the trigger."

You know, now that I think about it (ie. reading between the lines or thinking too much) he says "kept trying to set the timetable" why the hell would Billy have to "set a timetable"? I mean, I don't think Virgin wouldn't want to release it, they know it would make some coin (at least a decent amount) but maybe Corgan was like "Release this show by such-and-such a date before Zwan hits so it wouldn't distract from sales or don't release it at all."

yellowsubmarine
03-15-2003, 02:01 PM
:(
160 hours of rehearsals for the 1995 double CD Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
:eek: :) :cool: :o

VegasPumpkin
03-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Ugly

You know, now that I think about it (ie. reading between the lines or thinking too much) he says "kept trying to set the timetable" why the hell would Billy have to "set a timetable"? I mean, I don't think Virgin wouldn't want to release it, they know it would make some coin (at least a decent amount) but maybe Corgan was like "Release this show by such-and-such a date before Zwan hits so it wouldn't distract from sales or don't release it at all." after the greatest hits and earphoria, I don't know how interested virgin would be in releasing a 3 cd/2 dvd.

MstrGhost
03-16-2003, 01:39 PM
"the difference between head and heart. Let a song be a song. It doesn't have to move mountains."

This makes me sad, sounds like an excuse to make meaningless songs.

mirrar
03-16-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by 1979
That was a really depressing artical Smashing Pumpkins wise, from Billy not talking to James or Darcy, to all the unrealeased stuff that Virgin won't put out. Just everything he said about the pumpkins was negitive and sad.
yeah really.. not encouraging at all. :(

The Ghost of Plant Avenue
03-17-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by MstrGhost
"the difference between head and heart. Let a song be a song. It doesn't have to move mountains."

This makes me sad, sounds like an excuse to make meaningless songs.

I don't like sounding bossy or mean on message boards, but I think what you said not only is nonsense, but it's narrow, immature, and perhaps ill-considered. Just because a song comes from a different psychological realm of human thought, emotion or existence other than "drama" or "seriousness" or "gravity" as Billy so nicely called it... doesn't mean a song is MEANINGLESS. I mean sure, when you're 15, you love high doses of that. I sure did. But it's alright to like other stuff too, and certainly as time wears on, you find all sorts of different perspectives. I think that part of the article that you condemned was probably the most positive, and approval-worthy piece of information in the whole damned thing.

Let a song be a song indeed.

O'Doyle Rules
03-18-2003, 12:03 AM
i doubt he will leak those. if for no other reason, he doesn't seem to like the trading community very much right now.

why? mashed potatoes?

CandyPotter
03-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by O'Doyle Rules

why? mashed potatoes?

lol.

shaniqua
03-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by the_marked

what's that song in your sig? the hidden cameras, 'a miracle'
www.musicismyboyfriend.com