View Full Version : iOS 5

TuralyonW3
10-14-2011, 03:41 AM
Tabbed browser and split keyboard on ipad. fuck yes

sppunk
10-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Safari on the iPhone 4 flies. And thank God for the iMessage program, so I can stop paying for texts (fucking rip off right there).

Eulogy
10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
does everyone you know have an iphone?

sppunk
10-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Mostly, yeah. Paying for texts (I don't text often to begin without, outside my family, my wife and two close friends) will be cheaper individually now with iMessage.

mxzombie
10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
pretty sweet. been playing with siri all morning. today i said "siri, i'm drunk" and she responded by saying "i found 9 cabs in the area"

Eulogy
10-14-2011, 11:52 AM
pretty sweet. been playing with siri all morning. today i said "siri, i'm drunk" and she responded by saying "i found 9 cabs in the area"

haha

Eulogy
10-14-2011, 11:53 AM
i like the reader thing on safari.

also just now saw the less intrusive notification. nice.

mxzombie
10-14-2011, 11:55 AM
yeah siri really works remarkably well. we have it doing integrals through wolfram alpha right now :)

reprise85
10-14-2011, 12:09 PM

that's awesome

Nimrod's Son
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
i'm taking the ios5 plunge this weekend. i usually like to let others beta it for a few days.

Nimrod's Son
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
the message notification function combined with the quick camera make it worth it just for those.

brendo_91
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
ios5's quick camera is now officially quicker than starting up and shooting a shot with my little point and shoot. boom, headshot.

Eulogy
10-14-2011, 02:25 PM
yeah the camera thing is great. i can only remember a handful of times where it prevented me from getting a picture i wanted, but still. NEVER AGAIN!

Mooney
10-14-2011, 04:04 PM
the new notifications from the lock screen don't work the way i'd like them to. i'll probably jail break again just to get lockinfo back.

Netphorian Gadabout
10-14-2011, 04:05 PM
I can't get my Ipad to upgrade. It downloads the 700mb file then it says its backing up my ipad and it just sits there all day saying "Backing Up". :(

sppunk
10-14-2011, 04:07 PM
the new notifications from the lock screen don't work the way i'd like them to. i'll probably jail break again just to get lockinfo back.

What do you want it to do?

Mooney
10-14-2011, 04:15 PM
What do you want it to do?

before i had three collapsable tabs.. one for unread email. one for unread messages, and one for 7-day weather forecast.

i could clear spam without unlocking my phone. also now if you unlock your phone any notications from the lock screen are gone forever. i don't always want to deal with them right away.

basically i would want the notification center to pop up as the lock screen.

Eulogy
10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I can't get my Ipad to upgrade. It downloads the 700mb file then it says its backing up my ipad and it just sits there all day saying "Backing Up". :(

Apparently it's been hit-or-miss the last couple days. I'm sure once the initial rush dies down it'll be easier.

It took me almost three hours to do it.

The Jesus
10-14-2011, 05:12 PM
iOS 5 has really transformed my life. I've never been happier!

mxzombie
10-14-2011, 05:30 PM
there are a bunch of siri easter eggs. anyone with a 4s try asking siri to "open the bay doors" a la 2001

yo soy el mejor
10-14-2011, 05:33 PM
what is siri?

mxzombie
10-14-2011, 05:40 PM
it's the voice control assistant application on the iphone 4s. it is able to parse and analyze natural language to allow the user to ask questions (e.g. "do i need an umbrella today?" yields the response, "looks like rain in your area!" with a local weather report) or perform tasks on the phone like writing text messages, creating appointments or reminders, and a lot of other stuff.

yo soy el mejor
10-14-2011, 05:41 PM
*impressed mom face*

SlingeroGuitaro
10-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I held off buying the 4, but just updated my 3GS. I might get one now

duovamp
10-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Posting from my iPhone 4S right now. Sup.

slunken
05-27-2014, 05:24 PM
My gramma gave me her old first gen iPad with iOS 5.1.1

This thread is three years old.

Lucky Day Spa
05-27-2014, 06:04 PM
classic gramma

Lucky Day Spa
05-27-2014, 06:04 PM
iOS 8 next week, gramma

slunken
05-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Good grief. I've seen more updates since Jobs died than ever

Mooney
05-27-2014, 07:06 PM
blackberry is going to come back and conquer all!

joking aside, i highly recommend BB10 to anyone who actually uses their phone as a communication device.

Trotskilicious
05-27-2014, 07:14 PM
nobody give a fuck about blackberry what the fuck son that's like carrying around a typewriter and saying "YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO <I>ACTUALLY</I> CARES ABOUT WORD PROCESSING SHOULD USE THIS BULKY PIECE OF SHIT"

Mooney
05-27-2014, 07:20 PM
nobody give a fuck about blackberry what the fuck son that's like carrying around a typewriter and saying "YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO <I>ACTUALLY</I> CARES ABOUT WORD PROCESSING SHOULD USE THIS BULKY PIECE OF SHIT"

i don't really think this analogy is apt.

Trotskilicious
05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
yeah why would something with more than half of its surface being devoted to a fucking keyboard be compared to a typewriter

Eulogy
05-27-2014, 07:30 PM
the bbz10 is a touchscreen phone for bb's latest os

Eulogy
05-27-2014, 07:31 PM
it is, apparently, still pretty underwhelming though. both hardware and software.

scottytheoneand
05-27-2014, 07:32 PM
loving my Moto X way more than the last iPhone I owned. Also loving that I get unlimited text, talk and data for $40 and no contract.

Fuck Steve Jobs's rotting corpse! there's no reason a phone should cost so damn much!

TuralyonW3
05-27-2014, 08:21 PM
My gramma gave me her old first gen iPad with iOS 5.1.1

This thread is three years old.

Omg I'm almost 30

Lucky Day Spa
05-28-2014, 02:27 AM
blackberry is going to come back and conquer all!

joking aside, i highly recommend BB10 to anyone who actually uses their phone as a communication device.

yeah okay canada

i highly recommend iOS or android to anyone who actually uses their phone as anything other than a communication device

sppunk
05-28-2014, 09:58 AM
BlackBerry, lol.

slunken
05-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Its kind of amusing seeing what apps won't work on 5.1.1

For most it will automatically download an older version but for some there just isn't one. Like eBay for example. Has it really only been 3 years since a mobile eBay app existed? Wow what a world.

slunken
05-29-2014, 05:02 PM
The major downside is that I can't automatically sync it with my phone/laptop because it wants to update all the apps and that just causes all kinds of hell to deal with.

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 07:06 PM
yeah okay canada

specifically trailer park canada

The exploding boy
05-29-2014, 10:07 PM
I've never been on anything but landline. I thought some of you losers had no life. Apparently still enough of one to need a "smartphone" or whatever you damn kids are calling it these days

Trotskilicious
05-29-2014, 10:21 PM
seriously do you live in a cave

The exploding boy
05-30-2014, 11:30 AM
I don't do phone really. I only answer when people who I know call and that's about four people right there 3 of which are family. Half the time it's Bell calling 3 times a day to tell me my bill is late (yes I fucking know ok, I always paid it too, so shut up). If you need to reach me, and i'm SOMEHOW not at home, then you can fuck off and wait until I get back. But of course I'm rarely not home. Also, I carry a small laptop around (well a netbook really, how passť, yeah cause I can afford a tablet...) if I leave home for longer than a few hours so for anything not phone, I'm still reachable most everywhere I go, just send an email or something.

anyway I can't afford it. Contracts in Canada are still terrible. And like I said, the uses would be so limited for me (no social life to speak of) I don't see the point. Like 4 years ago my girlfriend gave me a blackberry she didn't use anymore, I used it as a mp3 player (cause I didn't have a plan) then a month later it fell in water and died. That's the extent of my history with cells.

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 11:31 AM
okay i asked if you lived in a cave because you're passing up having a hand held computer for block of text reasons, there's no reason, you're being a jackass as per

The exploding boy
05-30-2014, 11:33 AM
there is a reason

1- I can't afford it

2-Uses would be limited.

Those are reasons.

Shallowed
05-30-2014, 01:20 PM
I wish I could know how it feels to have owned an iPhone when it was first released and have upgraded it every time a new model was released.

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Uses of a palm sized personal computer "would be limited"

The exploding boy
05-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Yes they would because I'm home most of the time. And home I have my desktop and laptop. And I have a mac in the living room (though it's really old and just for recording). so what would I want with a palm sized computer on which you barely can do anything (I mean compared to a desktop) and that I never learned to type fast on. Seriously unless you have people contacting you often through text or calls what is the point?

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 08:55 PM
yes okay i just want to point out that you're telling me how you'd use something you've never had

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 08:56 PM
exploding boy circa 1982: why would i need a "personal computer" that sounds dumb i have a VHF television and an atari

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 08:57 PM
exploding boy circa 1852: a "light bulb" that sounds dumb, uses would be limited. i like to sit on my couch with candles, i think that's probably the right thing to do

Shallowed
05-30-2014, 09:41 PM
When iPhones came out I thought they were sour grapes because I already have a phone and an iPod, but thanks to this style of marketing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lPKm-dIIIkY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm convinced that my life would be improved if I had one. Though I'm sure that honeymoon period with my new life-improver wouldn't last.

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 09:55 PM
look you're thinking about it like EB

the only reason i took so long to get one is because i wanted it to be "cheap" and i got one for practically 12 dollars for a few reasons, complicated story anyways

<h1> IT'S A FUCKING COMPUTER IN YOUR HAND

<i>A COMPUTER

IN YOUR HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</i></h1>

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 09:56 PM
actually maybe i had some of the dumb reasons you guys had

but it's a computer

in your hand

A FUCKING COMPUTER YOU GUYS

IN YOUR HAND

sppunk
05-30-2014, 10:13 PM
It's an entire 1992 Radio Shack full page newspaper ad in your hands!

Trotskilicious
05-30-2014, 10:54 PM
they aren't phones, they're datapads. it's like star trek and shit yo. right now we livin in star trek

Shallowed
05-31-2014, 01:08 AM
look you're thinking about it like EB

No I'm not, I actually want one, I just can't afford one.

Trotskilicious
05-31-2014, 01:32 AM
i'm blind with hate sorry

Shallowed
05-31-2014, 02:11 AM
It's okay I understand

Shallowed
05-31-2014, 02:11 AM
I mean margin

reprise85
05-31-2014, 08:02 AM
trots i remember when you were all anti-smartphone. they are amazing for sure. it's just weird and a little sad when there's 5 people at a table and all of them are on their phones and no one is talking.

slunken
05-31-2014, 09:01 AM
What if you don't like the people at the table

Shallowed
05-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Maybe for some people, the guilt they feel from not interacting with their friends in person is less than the guilt they feel for spending a lot of money on a portable wonder device that they leave unattended in their pocket.

The exploding boy
05-31-2014, 09:34 AM
actually maybe i had some of the dumb reasons you guys had

but it's a computer

in your hand

A FUCKING COMPUTER YOU GUYS

IN YOUR HAND

Yes i know. And i determined that i really didn't need one. I don't know why i need to keep explaining this.

Without a lightbulb, i would be sitting in the dark or being lit by a shitty candle.

And I wanted computer circa 1985 and got one too (back then mainly for games of course). Not quite 1982 but you'll excuse me for having been 4 in 1982. A smartphone to me is not even close to being the technological breakthrough that a PC was nevermind a lightbulb. Because here's the thing, you said it, its still a fucking computer. The only advantage is its size. And that advantage is barely one when it comes to using it like it's a normal sized one.

here's things i can't do on a smartphone and the main things i need a computer for:

Play games (other than shitty phone games)

Watch movies (at a size and definition i can tolerate)

Record music (probably you technically can but not for anything of decent quality)

Write in a word processor (oh sure you can write but it's not convenient to type with that shit)

Here's what i could do with it:

Call or receive calls (already determined it's almost useless to me)

Text (only do that with my gf and don't care to do it for the few times i'm out)

Be on the internet (on a small inconvenient sized screen. Which is still good if you're not home, useless otherwise).

Take pictures (but i already have a good digital camera)

Listen to music (already have a 60gb ipod)

The only use a smartphone has is when you need a convenient sized computer or phone for when you're not at home. I'm almost never not at home and when i'm not i probably don't need a computer anyway and again, phone, not needed.

I really don't get why you care so much. But i'm telling you i know what it can do, my gf has one (and barely needs one either but she's got this paranoia about being unreachable when out). I don't need it. I absolutely 100% certain don't need one. If i do determine one day i need one, i'll get one. But in my current life, i have no use, none. It would be an extravagant waste of money. It IS possible for people to not need one.

Trotskilicious
05-31-2014, 02:40 PM
trots i remember when you were all anti-smartphone.

i'm still not up for conversations about cell phone models and such but yeah

i mean it's a computer in your hand, thinking of it as a phone is pretty silly

Shallowed
05-31-2014, 04:05 PM
Sooner or later we should stop calling them smart phones because 90% of the functions they are used for are not for making phone calls. Skype has the same function but it's not called "phone call" it's called Skyping, which I bet Microsoft loves because it has the product name in it. Calling them smart Skypers would be even sillier though. And there'd still be a bajillion more functions than just Skyping.

Shallowed
05-31-2014, 04:09 PM
I'd really appreciate if whatever we call smart phones in the future wasn't "smart". There's too much shit that is prefixed with that when what it really means is usually "automatic" or "auto".

reprise85
05-31-2014, 11:38 PM
i'm still not up for conversations about cell phone models and such but yeah

i mean it's a computer in your hand, thinking of it as a phone is pretty silly

i only want to talk about models when i'm looking at getting a new phone. so every 2 years about.

and yeah it's a computer, but being reachable by phone at any time is a pretty big fucking deal as well. it's silly to dismiss it as not important. it changed everything. your phone doesnt have to be "smart" to do that, but it is an important function of a smart phone.

slunken
05-31-2014, 11:39 PM
for me its not about being reachable, its for the information available at my fingertips (c)

Trotskilicious
06-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Sooner or later we should stop calling them smart phones because 90% of the functions they are used for are not for making phone calls. Skype has the same function but it's not called "phone call" it's called Skyping, which I bet Microsoft loves because it has the product name in it. Calling them smart Skypers would be even sillier though. And there'd still be a bajillion more functions than just Skyping.

DATAPAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trotskilicious
06-01-2014, 12:36 AM
i only want to talk about models when i'm looking at getting a new phone. so every 2 years about.

and yeah it's a computer, but being reachable by phone at any time is a pretty big fucking deal as well. it's silly to dismiss it as not important. it changed everything. your phone doesnt have to be "smart" to do that, but it is an important function of a smart phone.

yeah but i already had a cellphone so uh

slunken
06-01-2014, 12:37 AM
skype sucks

slunken
06-01-2014, 12:37 AM
part of me thinks that my next "upgrade" may actually be a downgrade to a text/call only phone

yo soy el mejor
06-01-2014, 07:09 AM
sometimes i really want to check bus times with my phone, but i can't. so i wait. and wait. and in some cases - wait some more.

it's a good sign when a small group is already waiting.

reprise85
06-01-2014, 09:15 AM
yeah but i already had a cellphone so uh

just because you already had something capable of calling doesnt make a smart phone not a phone.

this is a really silly argument :P i'm all for changing the name.

vixnix
06-01-2014, 09:18 AM
My kids have no idea why the image for making a phone call on my phone, looks the way it does. They're never used a phone that looks like that.

Trotskilicious
06-01-2014, 03:33 PM
just because you already had something capable of calling doesnt make a smart phone not a phone.

this is a really silly argument :P i'm all for changing the name.

i dunno what you're arguing about, i'm talking about upgrading to a computer in my hand from a phone

slunken
06-01-2014, 08:38 PM
i use my phone for a lot of stuff. the most helpful is probably navigation and banking/paypal stuff.

the ipad i mostly just wanted to read ebooks not on my phone so the slightly lesser OS is not an issue for me. its easier to program drum machines on it too, as opposed to a phone.

slunken
06-01-2014, 08:39 PM
i loaded the fuck up on some ebooks son, let me tell you.