View Full Version : steve jobs screwed up

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 09:27 AM
instead of getting an operation he tried alternative treatment methods. dumbass.

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 09:38 AM
ya blew it capiche?

The Jesus
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
YEAH HOW'S THAT "THINK DIFFERENT" THING WORKING OUT FOR YOU STEVE???????

MyOneAndOnly
10-09-2011, 10:25 AM
what? you mean that if you take a drop of something, dilute it in 10 gallons of water, then take a drop of that and dilute it in 10 gallons of water, then take a drop of that and put it in a glass of water and drink it.....it won't cure you?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HMGIbOGu8q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 10:25 AM
exactly. and also he never really did anything he always had a bunch of smart engineer types doing all the thinking. cherry picking the ideas he liked.

JokeyLoki
10-09-2011, 10:28 AM
He lived a lot longer than most people with pancreatic cancer, so seems like he was doing something right.

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 10:34 AM
that's because he had an unusually well behaved form of pancreatic cancer that only affects the insulin producing cells. he waited for 9 months before getting proper treatmen, which had to be much more invasive than what he had had to do 9 months before. the he got a liver transplant (controversial) and had to eat medications that surpress the immune system for that. guess what dumbass jobs that immune system is kind of needed to repress CANCER!!!

Order 66
10-09-2011, 11:21 AM
i'm really tired of people always going on about steve jobs. apple was cool and i bought a few products. but if steve jobs as so smart then why is he dead?

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 11:24 AM
guess what he's dead!

The Jesus
10-09-2011, 12:19 PM
but if steve jobs as so smart then why is he dead?

Good question.

teh b0lly!!1
10-09-2011, 12:23 PM
YA KNOW IM NOT DEAD

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 12:41 PM
great job.

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
10-09-2011, 12:51 PM
being one of the original computer whizzes is pretty impressive but i dont see how things like the ipod were due to his vision. people act like if captain incredible hadnt been at the head of the company we would all still be using tape decks today

hes just another robber baron who made his riches by paying the 5% most dexterous chinese toddlers one cent a year making products that he sold to the already entertainment-glutted americans at a 400,000% markup

just wait and see where his estate goes, i bet it will be used to fund the next generation of capitalist murderer's crimes

i hear he is a buddhist well hopefully he will be reincarnated as one of his slave peons. he makes bill gates look like a saint, even though bill gates' computers are made right here in texas by white people who are paid 25$ an hour

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
10-09-2011, 12:53 PM
steve jobs more like steve robs amiright

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 12:54 PM
bill gates is one hell of a man and he's not dead like steve jobs.

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
10-09-2011, 12:55 PM
i have a sneaking suspicion that bill gates has beaten cancer several times, and kept it on the down low to keep the stocks up for red blooded american stockholders

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
10-09-2011, 12:56 PM
bill gates computers are an environmentally friendly drab grey, and when they are outdated they blend in with africa's grey sands. steve jobs computers are colored with radioactive and carcinogenic dyes which stain the landscapes of africa and drive the local birds out to sea in confusion

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
10-09-2011, 01:00 PM
organ transplant is cannibalism

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 01:10 PM
there's a lot of truth to that.

Netphorian Gadabout
10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
bill gates' computers are made right here in texas by white people who are paid 25$ an hour

Awesome. What stores carry these Microsoft brand computers?

dean_r_koontz
10-09-2011, 01:20 PM
all computers in the world duh.

StuckInVain
10-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Did Jobs have any philanthropic endeavors? For all the things I've read about it him, this never comes up.

Sarcastic Smile
10-10-2011, 02:22 AM
ugh both gates and jobs are nothing but rich slave drivers. who ever knows the truth about those companies and who is really pulling the strings. Didn't gates get his start by skating some guy and basically buying his idea off him for like $300? And the average person that works in the iphone factory gets paid in a month 1/3 of what the iphone goes for.. and they have an extremely high suicide rate amongst the company. whatever just needed to get that out because all these idiots on fb are acting like their dad died and when I confront them about their idiocy they act like I'm the irrational one? ok.. keep watching tv specials and news clips of people leaving flowers at store entrances

Even my own grandmother (who is under extreme mind control of mainstream media) got irate with me the other day about it....I don't even know why I don't just smile and nod at people from now on, I'm going to give it a go.

Grandma: (imagine a facial expression of someone that just watched the saddest movie in their life, like puppies being killed and unicorns tortured) Did you hear apple the apple guy? Oh, its just so sad! I want to by a mac now.

Me: Why would him dying make you want to buy a mac? It's not going to help him out now...

(at this point I had heard someone make a joke about him faking his death to increase apple sales and I thought it was to dumb to even laugh at, but then I have this conversation later... really? how the fuck can this make you want to buy a mac? and mind you she has criticized me for spending too much money on my mac and all she does is play solitaire and shop online, you really don't need a $2,000 computer for that)

Grandma: Because, I just feel so bad! He was such a genius, we lost a great mind. He was so young.

Me: (should have just bailed here) Well yeah, but he also had a lot of smart people working for him that I'm sure didn't get their due credit. And there are plenty of people who invent things and will continue to do so

Grandma: But not like him! He changed the world!

Me:.... people have made ground-breaking discoveries before him and will continue to do so.. the world has changed so much in the past 200 years and its going to keep going. There are still plenty of young geniuses out there

she gets pissed at me for not joining her pity party ... but why? I didn't know the guy, and I guarantee if you asked her who he was 2 weeks ago she would have no idea... she probably never used a single one of his "world changing inventions" so WHY? Why don't people think for themselves ?

Sarcastic Smile
10-10-2011, 02:28 AM
I just don't understand why everyone acts like this? Actually my guess would be the news and confusing their attachment and dependancy to their iphones for sj. It's sad when anyone dies young(ish) but it's not like he made the world a better place from a humanitarian perspective? or am i missing something? I'm really asking

Trotskilicious
10-10-2011, 02:36 AM
actually it's made the world worse with the chinese labor factories churning out american designed products and charging exorbitant amounds for them far in excess of the labor as well as creating a demand for "rare earths" which are generally toxic and hard to mine

Luke de Spa
10-10-2011, 04:39 AM
steve jobs understood the value of good design and made the importance of the user experience a requirement for success in mainstream consumer electronics

there are plenty of reasons why his approach (well, american companies' generally) arguably had their flaws, but the guy was indisputably a revolutionary

Trotskilicious
10-10-2011, 04:48 AM
prince willams ain't do it right if you ax me
if i wuz him i woulda (MARY KATE AND ASHLEY)

teh b0lly!!1
10-10-2011, 05:52 AM
steve jobs understood the value of good design and made the importance of the user experience a requirement for success in mainstream consumer electronics

there are plenty of reasons why his approach (well, american companies' generally) arguably had their flaws, but the guy was indisputably a revolutionary

im so sick of this glamorization for dead people. it's like with amy winehouse, for years and years she's one of many successful artists, all the sudden when she dies - bam, she's in that hendrix, cobain, michael jackson class. what the fuck is with that?
yes, steve jobs was a pretty smart bloke who had a mega successful company, but he didn't revolutionize shit. REVOLUTION is what google did to information availability, what typewriters did to distribution like a zillion years ago. all steve jobs did was to be the head (heh) of a company that includes hundreds and thousands of engineers who A) are the real geniuses along with their overrated boss and B) sold sub-par hardware in slick casings for overblown prices.

and though it might sound like it, im absolutely not a apple hateboy.

MyOneAndOnly
10-10-2011, 05:59 AM
i have a sneaking suspicion that bill gates has beaten cancer several times, and kept it on the down low to keep the stocks up for red blooded american stockholders

bill gates is cancer

Luke de Spa
10-10-2011, 07:59 AM
im so sick of this glamorization for dead people. it's like with amy winehouse, for years and years she's one of many successful artists, all the sudden when she dies - bam, she's in that hendrix, cobain, michael jackson class. what the fuck is with that?
yes, steve jobs was a pretty smart bloke who had a mega successful company, but he didn't revolutionize shit. REVOLUTION is what google did to information availability, what typewriters did to distribution like a zillion years ago. all steve jobs did was to be the head (heh) of a company that includes hundreds and thousands of engineers who A) are the real geniuses along with their overrated boss and B) sold sub-par hardware in slick casings for overblown prices.

and though it might sound like it, im absolutely not a apple hateboy.
what glamorisation? who's eulogising amy winehouse here? i would've said the same thing about steve jobs being a technology revolutionary a week ago, only there wasn't a thread then because he wasn't dead.

steve jobs is the guy who made using a computer accessible to anyone. he did the same thing two decades later with the mobile phone. no, he didn't write the code, and he didn't build the whole thing from scratch himself. no one's saying he did, or that he could've done it alone. but he's the guy who saw the potential and made it happen using the resources available to him.

if you think hardware matters much beyond being a vehicle for excellent software and services, well, congratulations, dork. you don't get it. enjoy your 5" phone screen that everyone else thinks is ridiculous and impractical

Dead Frequency
10-10-2011, 08:27 AM
I never knew the guy. I don't give a fuck. And even if I did like Apple products, which I do not because they are image driven products designed for the retarded population globally, I couldn't consider giving a single fat fucking diarrhoetic dump on a fire in order to save an orphan's life - about Steve jobs. Product loyalty (an ideal set forth by whom?) should not, through transference, mean the concern of someone whom you've never met and have had no direct emotional or spiritual connection with.

teh b0lly!!1
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
what glamorisation? who's eulogising amy winehouse here? i would've said the same thing about steve jobs being a technology revolutionary a week ago, only there wasn't a thread then because he wasn't dead.

steve jobs is the guy who made using a computer accessible to anyone. he did the same thing two decades later with the mobile phone. no, he didn't write the code, and he didn't build the whole thing from scratch himself. no one's saying he did, or that he could've done it alone. but he's the guy who saw the potential and made it happen using the resources available to him.

if you think hardware matters much beyond being a vehicle for excellent software and services, well, congratulations, dork. you don't get it. enjoy your 5" phone screen that everyone else thinks is ridiculous and impractical

i wasn't really lashing out on you, but rather used your post as leverage to rant about all the shit people say all the sudden now that he's dead when the great majority of them used to tarnish apple and him in person, or don't know anything about anything and are just enjoying to repeat what they see on the media almost verbatim.

as i stated, i am not an apple hateboy or anything, i have an iphone myself (flame away), but i just think deaths of famous personas in general kind of makes people lose proportion of how honestly significant their work truly was.
steve jobs was brilliant in many ways but he aint THIS GENERATION'S DA VINCI. i mean seriously. i don't really agree that he made the mobile phone more accessible, as anyone and everyone has had a mobile phone for the past 7 years at least, and smartphones really arn't something that wasn't popular before the iphone.
and about the sub par hardware, i wasn't even talking about the phones - i was talking about the macs they sell at completely inproportionate prices, given the class of hardware that's integrated into the computer. it's a pretty well known fact that a mac will cost around 50% more than an equivalent pc of the same physical hardware. add to that the lack of java support and all sorts of other shit.

their greatest strength as a company is their ability to design things so sexy and slick and appealing, that you just wanna have them. it's admirable but not revolutionary.

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
when bill gates dies the curtains will be rent

StuckInVain
10-10-2011, 02:28 PM
At least Gates has used a significant amount of his fortune for truly revolutionary causes (global health). Interestingly his interest in philanthropy was borne out of public opinion that he should donate more of his wealth to charity. The way Steve Jobs was deified (and given a free pass on all things for producing the iPhone) it's no wonder his philanthropic record is scant. Sometimes you need your feet to the coals to activate your conscience.

Sarcastic Smile
10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
lol your first sentence is exactly the reason gates did that, and encouraged others to do so... so shine up his public image. Public scrutiny was that catalyst for Gates' charitable endeavors

StuckInVain
10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.

Luke de Spa
10-12-2011, 07:31 AM
i wasn't really lashing out on you, but rather used your post as leverage to rant about all the shit people say all the sudden now that he's dead when the great majority of them used to tarnish apple and him in person, or don't know anything about anything and are just enjoying to repeat what they see on the media almost verbatim.
uh, okay. is anyone doing that here? if they are, why do you care?

as i stated, i am not an apple hateboy or anything, i have an iphone myself (flame away), but i just think deaths of famous personas in general kind of makes people lose proportion of how honestly significant their work truly was.
steve jobs was brilliant in many ways but he aint THIS GENERATION'S DA VINCI. i mean seriously. i don't really agree that he made the mobile phone more accessible, as anyone and everyone has had a mobile phone for the past 7 years at least, and smartphones really arn't something that wasn't popular before the iphone.
compare a 1983 personal computer to a 1984 personal computer.

now compare a 2006 smartphone to a 2007 smartphone.

now compare a 2009 tablet computer to a 2010 tablet computer.

the difference every time? apple launched a new product that reset expectations about what these devices could do (more) and who they were for (everyone). not regarding the functionality, so much, but the core interface – the user experience. apple is the reason PCs aren't operated via command line interfaces, the reason most smartphones are touch-driven, and the reason tablet computers aren't pen-based. in each case, they took a niche class of computer and turned it from a product for power users into a flexible tool that just about anyone could use.

what's revolutionary about apple is its systematised democratisation of technology. if you don't think that constitutes a social step-change comparable to the invention of the printing press or the mass-production of the automobile, well, fine. that's a matter of opinion. but i'd contend that you aren't seeing the big picture.

and about the sub par hardware, i wasn't even talking about the phones - i was talking about the macs they sell at completely inproportionate prices, given the class of hardware that's integrated into the computer. it's a pretty well known fact that a mac will cost around 50% more than an equivalent pc of the same physical hardware. add to that the lack of java support and all sorts of other shit.
if you buy hardware on the basis of a spec sheet... yeah, you still don't get it. it's the user experience, stupid. specs are part of that, but far from the entire piece. the fundamental difference is the operating system, which has a significantly simpler and better-designed user interface than windows, but there's also build quality, reliability, support (via online or retail), bundled software, and aesthetics. this is kind of a crap metaphor (the differences are more pronounced with macs vs PCs), but you're comparing a hyundai to a mercedes.

(that being said, go find a spec-comparable pc equivalent to the macbook air with the same form factor. my understanding is that there aren't any (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/20/pc_makers_want_cheaper_intel_chips_to_compete_with _apples_air_pricing.html).)

btw, apple didn't remove java support with lion – it deprecated its own port. you can still install java if you want (http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1421), and the download/install process is automated. but 99% of users won't, so... whatever? now you're complaining that your new mercedes doesn't come with an ashtray.

their greatest strength as a company is their ability to design things so sexy and slick and appealing, that you just wanna have them. it's admirable but not revolutionary.
i don't agree that it's apple's greatest strength, but it probably does have the best marketing on the planet. that marketing certainly factors into people's purchasing decisions, and it's kind of sad that it works so well. but it'd be ultimately worthless if apple's products broke down all the time, its service was terrible, or if the things apple made were awful to use. but that doesn't seem to be the case (http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=262:press-release-september-2011&catid=14&Itemid=287).

dean_r_koontz
10-12-2011, 07:40 AM
but how many ideas did jobs come up with though? i'm certainly no expert on the subject but i seem to remember from some documentary that the whole windows interface thing was invented by some other dude and that technically speaking he rode the cottails of some man with a beard in the 70's and early 80's.

dean_r_koontz
10-12-2011, 07:41 AM
he has given me the impression of being a good salesman and a slikster and recognizing ANOTHER PERSONS good idea when he sees it and then he had a bunch of luck and that's all.

dean_r_koontz
10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
using a mac is like buying this flashy looking car without any real juice underneath the surface. oh good they've made a sign that says "gas pedal" on it so i can drive the car great let me pay you 1000 more dollars than the equivalent specced pc computer yes.

Luke de Spa
10-12-2011, 07:46 AM
but how many ideas did jobs come up with though? i'm certainly no expert on the subject but i seem to remember from some documentary that the whole windows interface thing was invented by some other dude and that technically speaking he rode the cottails of some man with a beard in the 70's and early 80's.

who knows? according to the new york times, he's got his name on 317 patents (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/24/technology/steve-jobs-patents.html).

henry ford didn't invent the automobile, but he's the guy who's credited with ushering in the age of the motor vehicle, and rightly so.

MusicMan4
10-12-2011, 07:54 AM
i like wozniek better because hes a big sloppy fatso like me

dean_r_koontz
10-12-2011, 08:11 AM
"CLAIM The ornamental design for a computer, as shown and described."

you see lds this is the kind of stuff that doesn't exactly get my pants wet.

Eulogy
10-12-2011, 08:11 AM

look through all 317

dean_r_koontz
10-12-2011, 08:14 AM
no you pick out some important ones i don't wanna. it's U who have the burden of proof.

Luke de Spa
10-12-2011, 08:15 AM

the form factor patents aren't that exciting, no. the most interesting ones to me are the software designs.

(although i personally think software patents are bullshit and are needlessly hamstringing the industry. trademark the look and feel, sure – like the iOS springboard – but patenting basic interaction methods like pinch to zoom = egregiously shortsighted. i suppose they have to for the sake of legal protection if anyone decides to seek damages, but still. at least their legal action to date has been to go after look and feel infringement rather than basic functionality implementation.)

Luke de Spa
10-12-2011, 09:46 AM
i like wozniek better because hes a big sloppy fatso like me

also he always has at least two phones on the go

TWO PHONES

now that's what i call having frigging made it volume 191. balling 100% double-fisting smartphones

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
10-12-2011, 10:21 AM
people act like smart phones are a good thing

bill gates could have invented smart phones in 1994. but he didnt because he is a humble man and he rides public transportation and he saw that blacks are already loud enough on the bus