Cool As Ice Cream
10-06-2011, 01:52 AM
lots of old songs.

lala
10-06-2011, 02:09 AM
awesome dude

great poster
10-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Fucking sick. Can't wait for someone to upload them...

redbull
10-06-2011, 02:17 AM
would have excited if this happened in 2007

lala
10-06-2011, 02:20 AM
cannot wait for the bootleg :)

rottenugly
10-06-2011, 02:27 AM
lots of old songs.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1253/5166685133_3d0e89d078.jpg

redbull
10-06-2011, 02:32 AM
i'll pay whoever taped this 50 bucks to destroy their master. nobody deserves to hear mike burns butcher geek usa

Ball Sack Face
10-06-2011, 03:53 AM
fuck the haters. awesome setlist.

Morlock
10-06-2011, 03:58 AM
How can I judge a setlist which contains five songs I have not heard before? If the new songs are good, the setllist is pretty awesome, at least if the songs are played well enough and Billy puts some energy into them. If the songs are poor, the setlist is embarassing.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Geek:

http://t.co/zjuXUrn9

scottytheoneand
10-06-2011, 05:29 AM
would have excited if this happened in 2007

like billy said the other day, Zeitgeist was the "wrong album at the wrong time"

lala
10-06-2011, 05:32 AM
i'll pay whoever taped this 50 bucks to destroy their master. nobody deserves to hear mike burns butcher geek usa

lol. skysaw

dean_r_koontz
10-06-2011, 05:34 AM
like billy said the other day, Zeitgeist was the "wrong album at the wrong time"

a bad album is never apriciated.

BlissedandGone2
10-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Geek:

this sounds pretty good.. I wasnt gonna go to the show in chicago, but i might snag a ticket now.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-06-2011, 05:48 AM
I was impressed by it

Spira|_
10-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Behold! The Night Mare

This worth gold. Hope isnt a blow up version.

Anyway Billy really tried to innovate shoving all in his chips with this alternative set. Was courageous indeed. Me like!

Spira|_
10-06-2011, 05:52 AM
Plzzz someone upload all set!! :E

AveryLoren
10-06-2011, 05:57 AM
His voice is actually nostalgic here at times

reprise85
10-06-2011, 05:59 AM
not too shabby... mike did ok

the first interlude sounds a bit off but otherwise this sounds good

scottytheoneand
10-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Plzzz someone upload all set!! :E

Monte was recording it. He's going to the Oakland show too. Hopefully he'll have one of them up on the Utube soon

scottytheoneand
10-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Quasar
Panopticon
Starla
Geek U.S.A.
Muzzle
Window Paine
Lightning Strikes
Soma
Siva
Oceania
Frail and Bedazzled
Silverfuck
Obscured
Suffer
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
I Am One
(tease)
Cherub Rock
Owata
My Love is Winter
For Martha

Encore:

* Pissant
* Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Discuss.

I really can't believe that was the set list. Nothing from Zeitgeist, Machina ignored. If you took out the new songs it would look like a Living In The Pass setlist.

very cool. sounds like billy tipping his hat to the fans.

it will be interesting to see if that list or something close to it holds up through the entire tour.

T&T
10-06-2011, 06:09 AM
that's a pretty exciting setlist that I'd be really happy to see.

Grox
10-06-2011, 06:11 AM
holy FUCK

dean_r_koontz
10-06-2011, 06:12 AM
obscured is pretty much the pinaple of their balladering and now they've removed the shit songs from machina and zeitgeist.

Spira|_
10-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Wow Geek performance is awesome!!!
Billy's voice at 2:31 was something we didnt hear for long years!!!

T&T
10-06-2011, 06:14 AM
that geek youtube is pretty fucking rawk sounding.
even brought out the soft voice. missed that the most!
first show.. no top zest, but I like how 'normal' he appears to be

how was his stage banter?

i wish he'd drop the diezel amp rig though. doesn't sit right for me.

Sonic Johnny
10-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Geek:

I've said this in jest a dozen times but now i've seen this I am dead serious:

I am a better drummer than this kid. I could pick up my phone now and call ten people who are better drummers. It's not a bad performance, sure, but he sounds like he's hanging on to that groove for dear life where jimmy was comfortably riding it like it wasn't even a thing.

pale_princess
10-06-2011, 06:52 AM
would have excited if this happened in 2000

good setlist by a bad cover band

Extremis
10-06-2011, 07:29 AM
freaking awesome setlist! cant wait for the terminal 5 show in nyc. and i think mike byrne is not a bad drummer at all.

darcy666
10-06-2011, 07:32 AM
good setlist by a bad cover band

And yet you're still here checking in on them. LOL

Bloody excellent setlist judging by the songs we know. Can't wait for the UK tour now, hopefully the core songs of this set will remain. The haters probably saw this setlist and got really angry that it's a decent selection of songs. They were really hoping for a bad setlist :)

brendo_91
10-06-2011, 07:39 AM
i wish he'd drop the diezel amp rig though. doesn't sit right for me.

hasn't he been using bogners since 2007?

dustrock
10-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Nice setlist - guess he was paying attention to the fan twitter requests

RenewRevive
10-06-2011, 08:05 AM
setlist looks good, some really surprising stuff on there - especially from Gish and PI. nicely energised performance of Geek USA. the drumming sounds fine to me, but i'm no musician. billy's singing - well i hope this is what his delivery will be like on the album. is he using his fender signature guitar in this? sure looks like it. btw going off this clip he looks to have put quite a lot of weight on.

feeling upbeat about seeing them next month now.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
ugh. are some of you for real? that version of geek sounds terrible! total slops fest.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 08:08 AM
and yes corgan is looking more plump than i've ever seen him.

scottytheoneand
10-06-2011, 08:10 AM
ugh. are some of you for real? that version of geek sounds terrible! total slops fest.

Kind of hard to make a statement like that unless you were there or listening the official recording that they're selling after the show.

the youtube vids so far are pretty low quality recordings.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Kind of hard to make a statement like that unless you were there or listening the official recording that they're selling after the show.

the youtube vids so far are pretty low quality recordings.

no, not hard at all. it's pretty obvious everyone is playing their 'parts,' not moving beyond the parts and struggling to do so. can mike play the parts correctly? minus a large handful of fuck ups, yes, but he displays zero groove here and it sucks the finesse right out of the song. same with jeff. just shredding a bunch of nonsense and it's a headache. bill? i really can't decide on what i think of his performance of the tune, but he doesn't have a strong enough band backing him up, and he needs that to play at his best.

like redbull said, this would have been an exciting set list to see in 2007 or 2008. now it doesn't really matter because it's being played by a band that's not fit enough for these tunes.

dean_r_koontz
10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
go listen to rush or yngwie malmsteen then paranoid ya lil fag.

emotionalfriend
10-06-2011, 08:24 AM
no, not hard at all. it's pretty obvious everyone is playing their 'parts,' not moving beyond the parts and struggling to do so. can mike play the parts correctly? minus a large handful of fuck ups, yes, but he displays zero groove here and it sucks the finesse right out of the song. same with jeff. just shredding a bunch of nonsense and it's a headache. bill? i really can't decide on what i think of his performance of the tune, but he doesn't have a strong enough band backing him up, and he needs that to play at his best.

like redbull said, this would have been an exciting set list to see in 2007 or 2008. now it doesn't really matter because it's being played by a band that's not fit enough for these tunes.

Gotta agree with this, and I'm not even one that dislikes Mike that much (I have no real opinion on him really). The whole performance of "Geek U.S.A." just seemed lifeless, much like all of the post-2007 output.

Nicole looked good, though. So at least they've got that going for them.

SlingeroGuitaro
10-06-2011, 08:50 AM
hasn't he been using bogners since 2007?

He used both Bogner and Diezel early 2007, and at some point during the touring that year dropped Bogner all together.

I have never liked the Diezel sound with the band.

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 09:02 AM
ok so that setlist is fucking OUT OF CONTROL

byrne does ruin geek usa though.

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 09:04 AM
i'm contemplating snagging a ticket for the 930 club if i can find one...

i remember when the tour was announced i was all "well if he put together some ridiculous setlist blahblah but he won't" and then he did

so

fuck. am i a hypocrite? maybe? but pissant and frail and bedazzled?

dustrock
10-06-2011, 09:17 AM
What does the new stuff sound like?

pale_princess
10-06-2011, 09:21 AM
i'm contemplating snagging a ticket for the 930 club if i can find one...

i remember when the tour was announced i was all "well if he put together some ridiculous setlist blahblah but he won't" and then he did

so

fuck. am i a hypocrite? maybe? but pissant and frail and bedazzled?

you'd be a hypocrite if you forgot that you're giving money to a transphobic asshat.

Spira|_
10-06-2011, 09:21 AM
What does the new stuff sound like?

StuckInVain
10-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Ehh, Jimmy often had tempo issues, didn't he, Sonic Johnny?
I thought this performance was pretty good.

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 09:30 AM
you'd be a hypocrite if you forgot that you're giving money to a transphobic asshat.

i'm sure a lot of my money goes a lot of places i don't want it to

but i mean

pissant!

someone needs to tell me if byrne fucked up the rest of the songs as badly as geek usa. because if that's the case i won't go.

soniclovenoize
10-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Interesting setlist. I'd pay $20 for that show. Nothing more than that though.

Mike's a good drummer, just not the right drummer for Smashing Pumpkins. He played Geek USA, but robbed it of it's swagger and power. But that's not his fault; there's only one Jimmy Chamberlin. Matt Walker couldn't have done it better than Mike, and I don't even think Kenny could have done it like Jimmy.

Your guys' expectations are WAY too high. Christ.

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 09:33 AM
no they're actually pretty low

i just don't want to go to a show if i'm going to hear hollowed out, soulless versions of the songs i like on that setlist

Sonic Johnny
10-06-2011, 09:38 AM

No, Jimmy played everything a good 10 to 30 bpm faster live because he's a goddamn animal and that's how he rolls. Dude never, ever, played any note anything less than straight up brilliantly, live, in the studio or otherwise.

slunken
10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
to be fair there are songs like Fuck You that I've only heard "work" like once (97 GM show).

Caine Walker
10-06-2011, 09:44 AM
i just don't want to go to a show if i'm going to hear hollowed out, soulless versions of the songs i like on that setlist

that is EXACTLY what will happen

bahnzah
10-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I've said this in jest a dozen times but now i've seen this I am dead serious:

I am a better drummer than this kid. I could pick up my phone now and call ten people who are better drummers. It's not a bad performance, sure, but he sounds like he's hanging on to that groove for dear life where jimmy was comfortably riding it like it wasn't even a thing.

yeah

paranoid
10-06-2011, 09:45 AM

massive difference between tempo and timing.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 09:46 AM
someone needs to tell me if byrne fucked up the rest of the songs as badly as geek usa. because if that's the case i won't go.

what do you think?

jczeroman
10-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I know for a fact that I am more excited about hearing this show than I am about hearing Oceania.

T&T
10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
He used both Bogner and Diezel early 2007, and at some point during the touring that year dropped Bogner all together.

we should totally form a tone snob club and blast billy about this.
think the oBoard would tolerate a "we love you billy, but we hate the Diezel" campaign?

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 09:58 AM
what do you think?

i dunno man

i think there was a version of ruby i heard from a while ago that was ok.

: /

i need to hear the whole thing before making a decision i guess.

pale_princess
10-06-2011, 10:09 AM
that is EXACTLY what will happen

:banging:

bigleaguechew
10-06-2011, 10:12 AM
i saw somewhere that they would be selling USB drives with soundboards of the gigs to people after the performances..was that the case for this first show of the tour? if so, i imagine this would be easy as pie to upload. i wants to hears this show

scottytheoneand
10-06-2011, 10:26 AM
i saw somewhere that they would be selling USB drives with soundboards of the gigs to people after the performances..was that the case for this first show of the tour? if so, i imagine this would be easy as pie to upload. i wants to hears this show

go to smashingpumpkins.com you can buy a usb online and it ships within three days. looks like they'll be offering one for every show. you don't need to be at the shows to buy them.

I'm sure somebody will buy every single show.

or, you can just wait a few days and find a torrent.

bigleaguechew
10-06-2011, 10:41 AM
go to smashingpumpkins.com you can buy a usb online and it ships within three days. looks like they'll be offering one for every show. you don't need to be at the shows to buy them.

I'm sure somebody will buy every single show.

or, you can just wait a few days and find a torrent.

oh ok gotcha, thanks. definitely will be just waiting for the torrent or perhaps..a mediafire type upload??? hint hint to anyone reading..

it's hard to decide if i am more interested to hear what the new songs sound like or if mike has improved at all with his clunky playing.

scottytheoneand
10-06-2011, 10:47 AM
mike byrne rocks

no improvement needed

omoi
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Terrible set list.

1. No Jimmy
2. No faith in the new material. What's all this, "the right band, the right time" but he plays stuff from an older band?

I don't know how Jeff and the others can stand to play another band's old, old songs as their main stuff each night.

Spira|_
10-06-2011, 11:03 AM
And the new songs? how does it sound? Anyone?

lala
10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Terrible set list.

1. No Jimmy
2. No faith in the new material. What's all this, "the right band, the right time" but he plays stuff from an older band?

I don't know how Jeff and the others can stand to play another band's old, old songs as their main stuff each night.

lol :beatup:

T&T
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
was the title track Oach any good?

slunken
10-06-2011, 11:29 AM
who played keyboards?

slunken
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
image commentary:

jeff looks like a slob comparitively. even mikey got a haircut and is wearing a button-down shirt. billy is wearing capri pants. nicole thought they were playing machina songs still and wins.

slunken
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
is that the shroud of turin printed on billy's sh irt?

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Terrible set list.

wtf are you talking about

omoi
10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
wtf are you talking about

As someone else said, this would have been a great setlist in 2007/2008. Without Jimmy many of these songs don't work (or, rather, with Mike they don't) as the Geek video reinforces. It's like ActIV, featuring special guest Billy Corgan. I was hoping he'd backup all his talk about the "right band, the right time" and play the new materials and show its worth. Who's he really catering to at this point?

"Hey guys, let's do Bullet as the encore." :(

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 11:53 AM
As someone else said, this would have been a great setlist in 2007/2008.

oh, ok. i see what you mean now.

franzel
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Geek:

Cool! Are there more songs up on youtube? Can't seem to find them...

dustrock
10-06-2011, 12:30 PM
As someone else said, this would have been a great setlist in 2007/2008. Without Jimmy many of these songs don't work (or, rather, with Mike they don't) as the Geek video reinforces. It's like ActIV, featuring special guest Billy Corgan. I was hoping he'd backup all his talk about the "right band, the right time" and play the new materials and show its worth. Who's he really catering to at this point?

He told fans to post on twitter songs they wanted to hear on the tour.

So we get windowpaine, obscured, pissant, frail, geek, and ruby. It could have been C'mon Let's Go and Pox, y'know.

It's also 2 months until the reissue of Gish and SD, if you think it's a coincidence the setlist is 1990-1993 heavy, you're foolish.

Spira|_
10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
indeed. I was a bit foolish.

darcy666
10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Who's he really catering to at this point?

Obviously not you. You're free to leave at any time.

reprise85
10-06-2011, 12:51 PM

So we get windowpaine, obscured, pissant, frail, geek, and ruby. It could have been C'mon Let's Go and Pox, y'know.

It's also 2 months until the reissue of Gish and SD, if you think it's a coincidence the setlist is 1990-1993 heavy, you're foolish.

It makes sense but it's still odd to see absolutely no Machina or Zeitgiest.

It is awesome he actually listened to fan feedback when picking songs for the tour. I wonder if that also affected what is on the bonus discs or if those were already done by then.

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
DEL

Banana
10-06-2011, 01:08 PM
What's up with no videos of any of the new songs? I don't give a shit about old songs getting butchered by their shitty drummer.

reprise85
10-06-2011, 01:12 PM
from rollingstone.com: (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/smashing-pumpkins-kick-off-tour-with-hard-charging-l-a-show-20111006)

Billy Corgan hadn’t let five minutes go by before he peeled off his first guitar solo at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles, where the Smashing Pumpkins launched a fall tour last night. (The U.S. leg of the tour wraps up in Philadelphia on October 22nd, and the band heads to Europe for a series of dates after that.) The group’s new show is a two-hour feast of multisensory psychedelia – think strobe lights, reflective gold fringe and a pair of enormous fans in the shape of revolving daisies.

But Corgan and his current bandmates – guitarist Jeff Schroeder, bassist Nicole Fiorentino and drummer Mike Byrne – have hardly gone hippie since they last played live in 2010: At the Wiltern the Pumpkins were more interested in power than flowers, bulldozing through muscular versions of old hits, recent stuff and material from Oceania, an upcoming studio album due out early next year.

The lean-and-mean approach extended to Corgan’s stage banter, which as recently as three years ago was likely to devolve into a lengthy diatribe about his artistic integrity and fans’ obsession with the early 1990s. In stark contrast, the frontman didn’t even address last night’s capacity crowd until well over an hour into the concert, when he sang, "Oh, California, look what you’ve done to me," in "Owata," a crisply propulsive highlight from the Pumpkins’ ongoing Teargarden by Kaleidyscope project. (Earlier he’d freestyled a bit of "Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers," but that seemed purely for his own amusement.)

If he kept the words to a minimum, though, Corgan funneled his rat-in-a-cage intensity into his singing and playing, particularly in the pummeling "Quasar," from Oceania, and in a thrashed-out take on Siamese Dream’s "Geek U.S.A." The band reached back to their 1993 classic for a handful of other tunes, including "Cherub Rock" and "Silverfuck," the latter of which featured a freak-out by the band’s two guitarists; Schroeder later defaced that song’s mellow stretch with some appealing No Wave skronk.

And although the energy dipped a bit during "Suffer" and "Obscured" (both from the Gish days), Corgan and company recharged for Oceania’s "My Love Is Winter" and the Adore deep cut "For Martha." They encored with a breakneck "Bullet with Butterfly Wings," and even here Corgan kept his nose to the grindstone, allowing the audience to take over lead-vocal duties for an a cappella singalong. Despite all his rage, dude looked happy – and grateful – to be there.

Thatchy Corker
10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Oceania: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3tt4p

Courtesy of that dude who uploaded the Geek USA video.

reprise85
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
mixed feelings

better than it just sucking balls

thanks btw dude!

brendo_91
10-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Its just kind of... characterless, isn't it? High gain nothingness. I'd assumed that sound was the Bogner doing a "boutique" version of "characterless nothingness" though.

We need to get the man back into Marshalls... even if he picks one of the new JVM series!

omoi
10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Obviously not you. You're free to leave at any time.

So, you're excited about Bullet being on the setlist?

Thatchy Corker
10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm really digging the second half - epic, singing with passion. It seems almost impossible to screw up...

omoi
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM

I get that he listened to the fan requests. But the entire set list is pretty much old songs. Not much to show for the new material, I guess.

dustrock
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
there is a rumor (assuming someone got a copy of the setlist) that they were set to play Pale Horse and some other song Pinwheels? at the start of the encore but skipped them.

soniclovenoize
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM

Because they're professional musicians?

dustrock
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
BTW, where is monte at, anyway?

Banana
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Oceania: http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3tt4p

Courtesy of that dude who uploaded the Geek USA video.

I like it.

omoi
10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Because they're professional musicians?

That makes it sound like they're just hired hands though. Billy hadn't been advertising like that recently. And LOL at Mike now a "professional musician".

RenewRevive
10-06-2011, 02:14 PM

erm, out of a 21-song setlist they played 6 post-jimmy tracks. who on earth would want more? besides, corgan already stated they would only play part of the new album on shows prior to the release.

still, kinda weird (good) to see concentration of material from '91-'94. would have happily seen more from MCIS, Adore and Machina, but i'm not gonna complain. thank god there's no Zeitgeist/AG representation (yet). i can't believe billy can handle not dusting off HMM, Blue Skies or GatGC at some point. his head may explode otherwise.

Netphorian Gadabout
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
i can't believe billy can handle not dusting off HMM, Blue Skies or GatGC at some point.
This.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
he's concentrating on this material in promotion for the upcoming reissues. makes sense to me.

and just listened to oceana... all i can say is it sounds like billy is at least trying this time around.

Copperpot5
10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Here's Panopticon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPmyFABxZk

MP3 in the description...

Green Eyes
10-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Oceania is pretty awesome.

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
No doubt I will regret saying this later but..... I enjoyed those songs.

Thatchy Corker
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I like it.

I've once again swallowed the Kool-Aid and am really, really liking it. It's got so many different parts, loud-soft dynamics, passionate vocals, etc.

Not feeling Panopticon as much.

Thanks a lot Copperpot!

paranoid
10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
what's interesting about hearing the new stuff, is that it sounds like billy is finally figuring himself out in this new band set up, and is writing to the strengths of this band, rather than trying to write to the strengths of the original smashing pumpkins and forcing it on these people. Does the new stuff sound like 'smashing pumpkins?' FUCK NO. Which is the point. if he moved on from that damn name already, i think he'd be much better off.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 02:37 PM
i take that back. panopticon sucks.

BlissedandGone2
10-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I dunno, I think the songs pretty solid sounding.

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
On second listen it sags a bit in parts, but I'm still enjoying it.

Seems like he is having a lot of fun on Geek USA - big smiles between BC and JS which was good to see.

killtrocity
10-06-2011, 02:42 PM
for a couple seconds I was like "holy shit they played geek usa and ruby ??" until I remembered that 'they' entails that pathetic fuck stain of a Jimmy imitation..

maybe obscured was coll tho

Slug
10-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Panopticon chorus is fucking sweet. It reminds me of snail.

ilikeplanets
10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
That setlist is truly gold, GOD DAMN IT they are not coming any near here :(

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I really want to hear an album version of Oceania - the track seems to have some potential. I'll be the first one to draw the GATGC comparison due to the interlude part.

Slug
10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Very nice song, especially after 2:22. I didn't really expect this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qoPmyFABxZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Caine Walker
oceania is actually not too bad. lots going on, it actually sounds like a lot of effort went into it. i'd also like to hear the studio version. NOT a fan of panopticon, tho.

T&T
again: who was on keyboards?

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
The last 1/3 of Oceania is pretty good. Reminds me in part of some of the Floyd tracks from Animals.

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Quasar

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ubvixd

Thanks Mr Copperpot.

dudehitscar
10-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Very nice song, especially after 2:22. I didn't really expect this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qoPmyFABxZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is the best thing he's done since Gossamer. holy fuck.

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Apparently Mike played the keys on one song according to the SP.com users

dustrock
10-06-2011, 03:09 PM
yeah, mellotron I believe on Oceania

edit: I'm at work and can't listen. How's the quality - worth downloading and listening on my iphone?

edit 2: sorry, Billy on mellotron on Oceania, Mike on keys on For Martha.

dustrock
10-06-2011, 03:10 PM
what's interesting about hearing the new stuff, is that it sounds like billy is finally figuring himself out in this new band set up, and is writing to the strengths of this band, rather than trying to write to the strengths of the original smashing pumpkins and forcing it on these people. Does the new stuff sound like 'smashing pumpkins?' FUCK NO. Which is the point. if he moved on from that damn name already, i think he'd be much better off.

this is the hope that the full band in the studio set up gave me. If he really did let them write their own parts we would get something new.

New Art Rioter
10-06-2011, 03:13 PM
So hey, these new songs are pretty good huh?

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 03:13 PM
yeah, mellotron I believe on Oceania

edit: I'm at work and can't listen. How's the quality - worth downloading and listening on my iphone?

D/l Oceania, the others can wait I think. Quality is ok.

Nice review here from a fan:

Just back from the show. Here are some thoughts.

First of all, Light FM is worth a listen. On the other hand, Fancy Space People are the worst band I have ever seen. Horrific.

The place was packed, but down in the Pit things were pretty calm. Mostly just people staying in their spot listening. I was straight in front on Billy about 7 or 8 "rows" of people back. No complaints except is seemed too loud and, naturally, whenever there was a quieter song or just a mellow part of a louder song, people starting talking.

Quasar kind of sounded like the muffled sound check tape to me. Billy's voice seemed very buried in there. Panopticon sounded good, as did Oceania where Billy played the Mellotron.

I went with a friend who listens to KROQ and only knows the hit songs. So he only knew three songs (didn't know Siva) but thought it was a good show. I told him he may not realize it but he just saw one of the most epic concerts ever.

Song after song, I was just thinking "you've got to be kidding me, this isn't possible." Never thought I'd hear Ruby live. That was the high point for me. The I Am One part was more than a tease, but there wasn't any vocals, other than maybe some "Yeahs" or something like that.

Billy's shirt was an abstract picture of Jesus. From where I was, it sort of looked like a computerized lithograph style.

Nicole is a Goddess.

Mike Byrne was on fire. Incredible. There was a moment in Silverfuck when the music goes low that it looked to me like he was acting as if he screwed something up. Jeff and Billy were looking at him and laughing, as was he. Maybe he had been playing so hard that he was just hamming it up. He's also lost the baby fat in his face. Did a great job playing keys on For Martha.

They played Owata the way it was meant to be played. No fucking My Little Pony bullshit.

When they played Obscured, two guys behind me said the following: First Guy: "Is this a new song?" Second guy: "It must be."

Billy said literally nothing during the set. Said "Thank you" at the end of For Martha. But when they came out for the encore he talked a little bit and said all the right things. "You guys are some of the best fans in the world." "Thanks for listening to us." "Thanks for letting us play our music."

Seems to me that Billy found his old voice. The wooden Billy vocal only popped up a couple of times. Also, I thought their tribute to Zeitgeist (by ignoring it completely) was great.

There was a lot of background music/intro music playing between the songs. Not just for new songs, but for old ones.

The flowers are back and they still don't spin at the same speed, but it's gotten better.

Only complaint was ending with Bullet. Finishing with Rhino would have been more in style with the night. Or Porcelina. Something epic. But that's a minor, minor complaint. It was really a great show.

amoergosum
10-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Here's Panopticon:

MP3 in the description...

I wanna hear that song with a better drummer...

Kahlo
10-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I think I'm blessed that I'm not a drummer/musician. On the new songs I can't really here many issues with the drumming.

*prepares to get destroyed*

Slug
10-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Apparently Mike played the keys on one song according to the SP.com users
You mean xylophone on Geek USA?

However Quasar is a viscous song. Liked it too.
Surprisingly, I can characterize Oceania material as GOOD so far.

BlissedandGone2
10-06-2011, 03:21 PM
I think I'm blessed that I'm not a drummer/musician. On the new songs I can't really here many issues with the drumming.

*prepares to get destroyed*

in the past ive really hated on mike, but considering how bad he sounded when we first heard him, i think he sounds pretty good in this set so far. not great, but good. i dunno.

dustrock
10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
watched part of the video of Geek. Pretty sloppy but it's the first show, hopefully they'll tighten up.

Panopticon seemed pretty good. Singing seemed a bit more emotional.

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 03:26 PM
um

listening to oceania and enjoying it

i just told caine walker this is like battered woman syndrome

and the drumming in it sounds competent enough i guess. i still can't handle listening to him play jimmy songs though.

Banana
10-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Man they really do play with no energy whatsoever on stage.

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 03:34 PM
panopticon is pretty meh

but that's better than almost everything from TBK so hey who knows

amoergosum
10-06-2011, 03:38 PM
i think he sounds pretty good in this set so far. not great, but good. i dunno.

...take the Panopticon YouTube clip for example >>>

His feel is off in my opinion...he's often overplaying...the fill-ins often don't feel right...
he doesn't really play with a wide range of dynamics.
To sum it up....it doesn't groove in my opinion.

Elvis The Fat Years
10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Oceania is a good song. cut off the first 4 minutes and it's really good. the 'Try to wait...' at 5:11 is :). 7:17-7:44 and the end... Explosions in the Sky want their song back.

Eulogy
10-06-2011, 03:45 PM
quasar doesn't seem like much either, tbh

dammit. oceania got me kind of excited. now i'm basically back where i was before.

Caine Walker
10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
battered

mellon_c0llie
10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
quasar doesn't seem like much either, tbh

dammit. oceania got me kind of excited. now i'm basically back where i was before.

Fitting that your name is Eulogy.

???
10-06-2011, 03:55 PM
obscured is pretty much the pinaple of their balladering

i hope that was unintentional

StaleIncense
10-06-2011, 04:04 PM
still don't know whether they crushed me into dust, or burned the lies off.. but these new songs (live) are awesome
:rockon:

I'm impressed

jczeroman
10-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Oceania was flat out awesome. Wow.

I really hope Oceania doesn't become the Machina to this Arising! tour.

jczeroman
10-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Quasar is also entirely decent.

Would love to hear the soundboard...

dean_r_koontz
10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
i hope that was unintentional

sorry to dissapoint. :(

dustrock
10-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Oceania was flat out awesome. Wow.

I really hope Oceania doesn't become the Machina to this Arising! tour.

Unless it's the Machina II version

Pizza Club
10-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I am glad to see the return of a cool light show.

Dogfighter28
10-06-2011, 05:29 PM
If the production is good then this album could be the best thing since MSOTS but we know what is going to happen

Dogfighter28
10-06-2011, 05:32 PM
And fuck all of y'all, the drumming on the title track is immersive as fuck

dzhezus
10-06-2011, 06:22 PM
If the production is good then this album could be the best thing since MSOTS but we know what is going to happen

No, tell us, what is going to happen?

Dogfighter28
10-06-2011, 06:32 PM
see: Owata

Dogfighter28
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
pre and post recording

great poster
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
MSOTS

what

Dogfighter28
10-06-2011, 06:37 PM
mary slut of the south

aztec litany service
10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
oceania is an interesting song. kind of a zwan version of US w/o no cathartic climax part.
lol'd at batman theme at 3:33

hope they're doing a decent version of obscured
but damn, soma, geek, ruby, frail, suffer, pissant, obscured, siva, starla, window paine, muzzle, martha, silverfuck
nice choices. very nice.
glad to see things like today, ava adore, eye, tbk stuff gone.

wish he'd bring back stuff like quiet, spaceboy, luna, here is no why

Grox
10-06-2011, 07:04 PM
he def cannot sing here is no why anymore. he barely could in 96. luna, quiet, and spaceboy i could see coming out soon

RenewRevive
10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Oceania is really good, Quasar and Panopticon are harder-rocking and have some potential also, some nice bits. All in all reminds me a lot of some of the pre-MSOTS Zwan stuff. At least this time we know they'll make it onto the album, so hopefully they haven't messed up the recording. would like to hear these at soundboard quality.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 07:13 PM
...take the Panopticon YouTube clip for example >>>

His feel is off in my opinion...he's often overplaying...the fill-ins often don't feel right...
he doesn't really play with a wide range of dynamics.
To sum it up....it doesn't groove in my opinion.

This. he just does TOO MUCH. He seriously over plays, and is usually off the mark with all of that. I can't even seem to find a single measure in this performance where he just plays a straight groove that is not laced with some sort of over heroic drum fill. It makes the song unlistenable.. and that's my fear with this new record. We're going to hear some potentially decent songs destroyed by amateur rock drumming.

TuralyonW3
10-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Geek:

<_<

>_>

That shits pretty tight

paranoid
10-06-2011, 07:21 PM
so where the hell's the other recordings/videos of the rest of the set list? it's 2011, this shit should have been up by this morning at the latest!

LaBelle
10-06-2011, 07:29 PM
pleasantly surprised by mike's drumming on geek u.s.a.
seemed pretty good.
now if some of the people who got the usb would share the mp3, that would be awesome...

iPumpkin
10-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I like everything I am seeing so far.

Gossamer
10-06-2011, 07:56 PM
where the fuck is the soundboard at?!?

???
10-06-2011, 08:11 PM
This. he just does TOO MUCH. He seriously over plays, and is usually off the mark with all of that. I can't even seem to find a single measure in this performance where he just plays a straight groove that is not laced with some sort of over heroic drum fill. It makes the song unlistenable.

agree with this. i think he's a fantastic drummer but he's trying too hard on this song.

i didn't really get a sense of the song's natural rhythm or melody either.

Monet LSD
10-06-2011, 08:23 PM
What's up with the middle part of the song "Oceania" being exactly the "United States" drumbeat?

Esty
10-06-2011, 08:32 PM
So basically everyones doing the same shit as before. You get excited and this song "is good", "mikes getting better", "great setlist",blah blah fucking blah.

Don't you guys learn anything? Its the same fucking pattern each and every time. Youll be "optimistic" now and then go on the hate wagon later.

Also eulogy, the eulogy who was in the threads hating on corgan when he made those remarks would bitch slap your ass. Its interesting to see how little it takes to make you forget.

oh and geek was terrible.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
What's up with the middle part of the song "Oceania" being exactly the "United States" drumbeat?

yeah i noticed that too.

scottytheoneand
10-06-2011, 08:59 PM
this band is awesome! Nicole is better than D'arcy. Jeff plays better than James ever will. Mike Rocks.

fuck the haters!

Caine Walker
10-06-2011, 09:02 PM
oh and geek was terrible.

i'm glad i'm not alone here.

but you gotta admit, oceania is pretty decent.

Esty
10-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Haven't heard it. not in a rush to.

Its sad to see how "low the bar is/expectations are" for the people here to get excited with this band.

Also, talk some sense into eulogy. He seems like a man of principle. To see him in this thread irritates me since he was so angry at corgan just a month ago.

RenewRevive
10-06-2011, 09:08 PM
lol he won't admit that, the facade would crack.

Dogfighter28
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
this will revive the pumpkins career

:beatup:

Esty
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
this band is awesome! Nicole is better than D'arcy. Jeff plays better than James ever will. Mike Rocks.

fuck the haters!

Really, since they are obviously a way better band than the ones who produced all the albums prebreakup, why havent they been able to even sniff the level of success the original four did?

I wonder what it is? Whats missing?

RenewRevive
10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
bugg superstar?

Esty
10-06-2011, 09:13 PM
lol he won't admit that, the facade would crack.

I assume youre talking to me. I have been and gone on record to saying parts of zeitgeist had its moments. I actually like united state, tarantula and some bside thats name escapes me at the moment.

If a song is good and I like it, ill say so. So fuck off.

scottytheoneand
10-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Really, since they are obviously a way better band than the ones who produced all the albums prebreakup, why havent they been able to even sniff the level of success the original four did?

the ONE who produced all the albums prebreakup. you mean Billy?

RenewRevive
10-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I assume youre talking to me. I have been and gone on record to saying parts of zeitgeist had its moments. I actually like united state, tarantula and some bside thats name escapes me at the moment.

If a song is good and I like it, ill say so. So fuck off.

fair enough then!

SlingeroGuitaro
10-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Looks like Billy either had an older guitar converted to look like one of his signature guitars, or he replaced the neck with a different model. The neck on these guitars looks like the neck on vintage reissues.

Gossamer
10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I'd like to think that I know good pumpkins from bad pumpkins and I think that Geek USA was pretty good.

somaziro
10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
doesn't matter how good the songs sound live, lots of tgbk songs sounded good before they got fucked up in the studio. we will see. actually, probably won't matter what the album sounds like, if i will prolly just listen to a soundboard from a good show instead.

andrewface
10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
smashing pumpkins are back!

great poster
10-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Soundboard fucking where.

somaziro
10-06-2011, 10:01 PM
geek sounded ok, i liked jeff's effects during the quiet middle part, however its just not the same without the raygun at the end. won't judge the drumming until i hear a better quality boot.

Caine Walker
10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
smashing pumpkins are back!

esty is a fag!

no and no.

why do you people buy into this shit? this just goes back to the simple fact that better music is happening right now, and it's sad that this is what you guys are settling for.

hey, isle. when you talk about "high alternative", do you take the fans into consideration?

Gossamer
10-06-2011, 10:23 PM
the 3 new songs that I've heard (quasar, panopticon, and oceania, all sound pretty decent actually and significantly better than anything from zeitgeist or teargarden imo).

im actually a bit excited to be honest.

MusicMan4
10-06-2011, 10:45 PM
People need to stop smoking so much weed, get off the fucking internet a few minutes and realize this is completely talentless art-student garbage. If you like this music just buy a microphone, reverb pedal, a cheap casio keyboard, and a four track and just make it yourself. Then at least you don't have to spend any more money on other talentless people's records. Plus you'll be a more productive person. WOW!

samuel redman
10-06-2011, 10:51 PM
this would be interesting with jimmy

least billy is appealing to the masses again

great poster
10-06-2011, 10:53 PM
If you like this music just buy a microphone, reverb pedal, a cheap casio keyboard, and a four track and just make it yourself.

will i get famous

MusicMan4
10-06-2011, 10:56 PM
nicole fiorentino was hot in the last seduction

TuralyonW3
10-06-2011, 11:04 PM
that middle percussion-less bit in Oceania is purty

TuralyonW3
10-06-2011, 11:10 PM
quasar makes me want to hear the studio track. could be pretty righteous is the vocals aren't too over everything.

paranoid
10-06-2011, 11:10 PM
that middle percussion-less bit in Oceania is purty

probably because it is percussion-less.

TuralyonW3
10-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Spaceboy

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/smashing_pumpkins-wiltern_ACY2173.jpg

iPumpkin
10-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Really feeling Oceania. Great song.

TuralyonW3
10-06-2011, 11:14 PM
I can't really tell shit about Panopticon from this quality...sounds like some cool stuff going on though

soniclovenoize
10-06-2011, 11:16 PM
del

soniclovenoize
10-06-2011, 11:19 PM

Major Label buying power?

BlissedandGone2
10-06-2011, 11:25 PM
heres the video from copperpot of oceania
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bCcWAGDZaG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

he really does look fat :/

soniclovenoize
10-06-2011, 11:35 PM
CHESTER COPPERPOT! CHESTER COPPERPOT!!

paranoid
10-06-2011, 11:41 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bCcWAGDZaG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

he really does look fat :/

holy shit look at that gut!

complete 180 from how he looked in 2007. the man enjoys pizza again.

PkPhuoko
10-06-2011, 11:44 PM
geek usa wasn't terrible.

The problem everyones picking out with the drums is that this kid isn't the physical specimine that jimmy was. Especially on a tune like geek usa where we've heard jimmy absolutely manhandle this song for a couple decades. Where you can fairly easily imitate the pumpkins guitar sounds, jimmys drumming not so much

Elvis The Fat Years
10-06-2011, 11:48 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoPmyFABxZk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoPmyFABxZk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

slunken
10-06-2011, 11:50 PM
i don't get it

stumpycat
10-07-2011, 12:30 AM
I would be legitimately interested to see this show--at least for the chance to fulfill my eternal dream fantasy of seeing Frail and Bedazzled performed live in a small venue setting. Seriously though, that's a top set list and the new songs are pretty good. They sure as hell do sound more in the vein of early classic SP1 than anything in ages. And yeah...Billy was a bit of a fat ass in the early stages of recording both Siamese Dream and MCIS...so maybe that's a good omen.

The Elliott
10-07-2011, 12:39 AM

You, sir, are an idiot.

lala
10-07-2011, 12:52 AM
all the new songs are amazing! love it

fuzzyroes
10-07-2011, 02:20 AM
This shit would absolutely be mind blowing with Jimmy in the band... But shit, its still pretty damn awesome. Its wicked Billys pulling out the songs fans actually WANT to hear. So really gotta tip your hat to him for that.

The new album should be pretty fucking cool if its not killed with atrocious production...

Kahlo
10-07-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm also happy he dropped Today. It remains to be seen if he will keep it out of the set along with Tonight Tonight

jasminetea
10-07-2011, 03:45 AM
We all know Jimmy would do it better than Mike. Who's as good as Jimmy then? That's obvious, I cannot think of what's more obvious than that. And to be honest I really cannot think of a drummer who'd do better than Mike, except Jimmy of course. I wouldnt hesitate to say that Mike is awesome in those new songs and doing good job in old songs.

amoergosum
10-07-2011, 03:55 AM
And to be honest I really cannot think of a drummer who'd do better than Mike, except Jimmy of course.

So the only drummers you know are Jimmy Chamberlin and Mike Byrne...;) ?

SlingeroGuitaro
10-07-2011, 05:00 AM
I think the problem with mike's playing is the sound of his drums, and not necessarily his playing. He is tuned much tighter than Jimmy, and obviously uses different sized drums. I think this lends to his sounding clunky while playing Jimmy parts.

???
10-07-2011, 06:14 AM

is it just me or was that completely average

ckeegan
10-07-2011, 06:52 AM
The music sounds good on the new tracks...but Billy's voice on the beginning of Oceania sounds like it could turn up sounding muted and emotionless in the studio. I'll reserve judgment until I hear the album.

amoergosum
10-07-2011, 07:17 AM
I think the problem with mike's playing is the sound of his drums, and not necessarily his playing.

It's ALWAYS the drummer. You can't blame the tuning of a drumset for overplaying and not grooving very well.
Give Jimmy Chamberlin a kid's toy drumset and he'll sound fantastic.

scottytheoneand
10-07-2011, 07:26 AM
can we just start another forum for people to post about how much they love Jimmy?

If billly came up for the cure for all Cancer somebody in here would bitch that he didn't cure AIDS as well because jimmy wasn't there.

move the fuck on! jimmy is gone.

/LivingInThePass

Kahlo
10-07-2011, 07:42 AM
fuck up. This is Netphoria. If Jimmy killed someone then we'd all probably still love him.

Grox
10-07-2011, 07:43 AM
guys oach might actually be awesome

Grox
10-07-2011, 07:43 AM
also where the fuck is the recording

dean_r_koontz
10-07-2011, 07:48 AM
i think the new songs has some emotional content that feels genuine, probably the deepest felt songs i've heard from the bollster in a long time. poor bollster. that alone and the lack of cringe inducing vocal delivery makes them a lot more palatable than his recent output.

scottytheoneand
10-07-2011, 07:58 AM
I am sure that this album will be properly mixed and mastered to ******* the live feel that we heard from Owata.

Extremis
10-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I think Mike Byrne will get better. Hes not bad really.. So apparently some glee cast members were caught making out at the concert lol

LaBelle
10-07-2011, 08:13 AM
also where the fuck is the recording

this

also, selling the usb stick on the website is pretty dumb, it gets way overpriced and it would take forever to get to me (I'm in brazil). there should be a digital download option.

brendo_91
10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
It's ALWAYS the drummer. You can't blame the tuning of a drumset for overplaying and not grooving very well.
Give Jimmy Chamberlin a kid's toy drumset and he'll sound fantastic.

Nah, I think Slingero is partially right, kid's also a cymbal basher and has a bit jerkier feel.

Grox
10-07-2011, 08:33 AM
he's just not as subtle. or powerful. but he's ok. bills guitar work is more integral to the band than the drumming

SlingeroGuitaro
10-07-2011, 08:39 AM
"silvercrank"

http://t.co/YvEasWkV

scottytheoneand
10-07-2011, 08:44 AM
90% of the "fans" today don't even notice the drumming difference. It's just the small group of us that piss away our lives online obsessing over it.

A friend of mine went to a show in 2010 and didn't realize that Jeff wasn't james. After the show she asked me "what happened to D'arcy?" I said, "none of the old members are in the band anymore!" She didn't believe me. i said, "did you notice that there was an 18 year old playing drums?"

There are also "new" fans like my wife who never even know the old music. THIS is SP to them, Billy, Jeff, Nicole, Mike. They dont' know it any other way.

scottytheoneand
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
"silvercrank"

"peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers...."

"sally sells sea shells by the sea shore...."

Extremis
10-07-2011, 08:49 AM
I agree with you man. Most average listeners wouldnt notice at all the difference in playing. Honestly compared to many other bands they play like gods. Point is that it was always billy and co

Grox
10-07-2011, 08:54 AM
jesus...silverfuck rules too......this is actually happening

T&T
10-07-2011, 08:56 AM
"silvercrank"

:no:
i'm sorry, billy don't feel my pain anymore. I don't lie to myself either, i'm not 15.

bigleaguechew
10-07-2011, 09:02 AM
We all know Jimmy would do it better than Mike. Who's as good as Jimmy then? That's obvious, I cannot think of what's more obvious than that. And to be honest I really cannot think of a drummer who'd do better than Mike, except Jimmy of course. I wouldnt hesitate to say that Mike is awesome in those new songs and doing good job in old songs.

ah come on man you really don't believe that bit do you? there are session drummers galore around the world who could handle this job with style and grace. not to mention the handful of hardened vets in pro bands that could handle it. but no, billy clearly wanted to go with the young drummer he can help mold. even though i really wish it wasn't so as i'm fine with the other members, sometimes ALL i can hear is that guys playing not meshing with the rest of the band and that's a bad sign indeed.

T&T
10-07-2011, 09:15 AM
well after going to the jimmy thread that isle started... there's no comparing. mike is a joke compared to the monster of a drummer that jimmy is. it's embarrassing.

???
10-07-2011, 09:20 AM
^aw, t+t, that's harsh. mike is the ONLY guy on the planet living a dream that many of us would kill for. and out of all the auditionees, he was apparently the best. his improvs in the audition footage were miraculous. i've tried out dozens of drummers in the last few years and not one of them could play half as well. he's filling the biggest drumming shoes we know of and he's doing a respectable job. but of course it will leave us pining for jimmy's return, which i'm sure we'll see sooner or later.

reprise85
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I think part of the drumming problem is just the difference in the scope of kits used. Jimmy used a fucking ridiculous amount of drums and cymbals and that made his playing much more nuanced than Mike's

LaBelle
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
new songs sound good, too.
but I will eat my hat if any of these survive billy's studio treatment...

Extremis
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Well of course theres a bunch of other drummers that could have filled in the spot but obviously billy saw something special in this kid and will stick by him. He has much potential. I know hes not jimmy but I still manage to enjoy his drumming.

brendo_91
10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
brann dailor of mastodon would have made an amazing replacement... progressive sludge metal's king of the single stroke roll.

but back on topic kind of... holy shit has byrne lost his baby fat or what?

RenewRevive
10-07-2011, 09:51 AM
A friend of mine went to a show in 2010 and didn't realize that Jeff wasn't james. After the show she asked me "what happened to D'arcy?" I said, "none of the old members are in the band anymore!" She didn't believe me. i said, "did you notice that there was an 18 year old playing drums?"

lol

well Jeff only brings half the asianess that James did.

paranoid
10-07-2011, 09:59 AM
fuck up. This is Netphoria. If Jimmy killed someone then we'd all probably still love him.

7/12/96 never forget.

dustrock
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Oceania sounded pretty great, definitely one of the better songs he's done in the last 10 years.

Panopticon and Quasar sound better than TBK and most of Zeitgeist.

The songs have the right feel, I just don't think his songwriting chops are as good as they used to be.

If he busted out something new as good as TEG, SIYL or Age of Innocence, I'd be pretty surprised.

lala
10-07-2011, 10:05 AM
my love is winter (new version) is amazing. good one billy

Greatvegetable
10-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Oceania should be at least 2 minutes shorter. The guitar work at the end is pointless, it doesn't fit the song and is generally horrible.

I hope the studio version is different because bits of it sound great...

brendo_91
10-07-2011, 10:22 AM
7/12/96 never forget.

I'm going to assume everyone knows that this song is about Jonathan:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1GmxMTwUgs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1GmxMTwUgs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

slunken
10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
brann dailor of mastodon would have made an amazing replacement... progressive sludge metal's king of the single stroke roll.

but back on topic kind of... holy shit has byrne lost his baby fat or what?

absorbed into billy

Eulogy
10-07-2011, 10:50 AM
90% of the "fans" today don't even notice the drumming difference. It's just the small group of us that piss away our lives online obsessing over it.

There are also "new" fans like my wife who never even know the old music. THIS is SP to them, Billy, Jeff, Nicole, Mike. They dont' know it any other way.

oh my god would you shut the fuck up already

your friend and wife sound dumb.

Eulogy
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Haven't heard it. not in a rush to.

Its sad to see how "low the bar is/expectations are" for the people here to get excited with this band.

Also, talk some sense into eulogy. He seems like a man of principle. To see him in this thread irritates me since he was so angry at corgan just a month ago.

i'm still mad at him, and i think he's crazy and kind of dumb. and mean spirited.

but that doesn't make me want to hear pissant or window paine live any less.

samuel redman
10-07-2011, 11:01 AM
the build up of window paine will make the show

glad i got tickets now

dustrock
10-07-2011, 11:15 AM
someone on monte's blog said they got the USB, soundboard quality and not too shabby. hopefully upload soon.

My Love Is Winter might as well be a completely different song. I kinda miss the guitar wankery at the end, but it almost sounds like a Machina track now.

I have a feeling I'm going to get a little sick of Jeff's delay-or-whatever-heavy guitar tone, because he seems to use that lead tone too much, but maybe it's just me.

BlissedandGone2
10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I think part of the drumming problem is just the difference in the scope of kits used. Jimmy used a fucking ridiculous amount of drums and cymbals and that made his playing much more nuanced than Mike's

this is partially true, but its also not just that mikes kit is smaller. his kit just sounds cheap to me. pretty flat.

amoergosum
10-07-2011, 11:28 AM

This comment deserves the >>>

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2536/3904932487_54cce78f13.jpg

Kahlo
10-07-2011, 11:48 AM
My Love Is Winter might as well be a completely different song. I kinda miss the guitar wankery at the end, but it almost sounds like a Machina track now.

I want to hear this like, right now.

scottytheoneand
10-07-2011, 11:52 AM
monte has more clips from LA online...

http://crestfallen.com/2011/10/05/the-smashing-pumpkins-show-in-la/

I miss the zeitgeist costumes. i want jeff back in that white cape

scottytheoneand
10-07-2011, 11:53 AM
fuck! Jeff really can shred. he doesn't have a lot of stage presence, but the guy kills it on guitar.

paranoid
10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I really really dislike jeff's guitar playing.

Grox
10-07-2011, 12:04 PM
i definitely DON'T miss the costumes. although bill's outfit was pretty lame in LA

Grox
10-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I really really dislike jeff's guitar playing.

y

dean_r_koontz
10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
i wanna hear obscured.

paranoid
10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
y

Pretty much all of the same reasons I dislike Mike's drumming, just applied to guitar. zero musicianship, over wanky, has poor listening skills, doesn't understand how to fit his parts within the picture of the bands sound, etc etc. and his delay tones are, like someone else said, annoying. it's really not that good of a match for billy.