View Full Version : With Every Light

reprise85
09-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Extremely underrated song.

I was listening to Machina a few times, in honor of Isle coming back (I know you don't know me, but hi!)... and WEL sorta made me cry a little. Was thinking about my grandmother who passed away on March 31.

Anyway, I really have started appreciating this song as well as a few other Machina songs that I just never really connected with.

Look ma the sun is shining on me
Impatient in love and aching to be
Could you believe in heaven
If heaven was all you had

:(

T&T
09-23-2011, 11:45 AM
great song. i've always liked it. never brought me to tears though.
sorry about your grandmother.

slunken
09-23-2011, 02:18 PM
i always thought this song was the best album closer. instead of bringing the themes to a close this track seems to open everything up even further - like a good haiku.

reprise85
09-23-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree, it would have been a better closer than AOI. AOI isn't really that interesting. Replace CTOM with BSBT and close with WEL.

slunken
09-23-2011, 02:26 PM
i forgot it wasn't the last song to tell you the truth (it's last on my giant machina playlist). the album version of BSBT is the worst version (out of all 5 or w/e) and AOI is always vying to be my favorite pumpkins song.

reprise85
09-23-2011, 02:30 PM
I agree the album version of BSBT sucks. Let's not turn this into a re-work machina thread though. ;)

slunken
09-23-2011, 02:31 PM
yea i promised myself never to do that again 5-6 years ago

slunken
09-23-2011, 02:32 PM
and again possibly 2-3 years prior to that

iPumpkin
09-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Not a fan. The song goes absolutely nowhere. The drum machine is boring as hell and the vocals are horrid. It's precursor the the 10,000 Billy choir with all the vocal overdubs.

JESUSNEEDSAHIT
09-24-2011, 12:21 AM
great song. machina is my favorite and this is one of the best tracks in the pumpkins catalog IMO

reprise85
09-24-2011, 12:24 AM
I like the melody of "Jesus Needs a Hit" but the chorus makes it hard to take the song seriously.

reprise85
09-24-2011, 12:25 AM
With Every Light is better though of course

JESUSNEEDSAHIT
09-24-2011, 12:28 AM
sorry does anyone know whymy picture keeps disappearing? I can't make posts yet but I would make one for this if i could.

TuralyonW3
09-24-2011, 12:46 AM
pretty good song, pretty music...unfortunately the vocal production is kind of nasally and flat (not pitch wise but tone-wise)

reprise85
09-24-2011, 01:15 AM
I agree, the vocals are pretty crappy.

StuckInVain
09-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Yeah, not his best vocal, but a solid song.

RenewRevive
09-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I agree, it would have been a better closer than AOI. AOI isn't really that interesting. Replace CTOM with BSBT and close with WEL.

whuuuut? AOI is one of the best things on Machina, i love the tempo of the drumming and the lyrics are excellent. whether it is the perfect closing track i don't know. WEL is a nice tune, kind of middle-quality. definitely not one of the album's songs with problems, for sure.

Order 66
09-24-2011, 10:23 AM
i just realized that there are no guitars on this song (minus bass). kind of funny adore got labeled the 'electronica' album

dudehitscar
09-24-2011, 12:03 PM
i just realized that there are no guitars on this song (minus bass). kind of funny adore got labeled the 'electronica' album

naw. There is very airy and distorted guitar track to it. Think of how the guitars sound on Let me give the world to you (that kind of echo acoustic effect) and bury it in the all the other things going on in the song.

It's there.

Eulogy
09-24-2011, 12:33 PM

wtf are you talking about

Eulogy
09-24-2011, 12:35 PM
AOI isn't really that interesting.

FALSE.

AoI is a great closer and a great song.

jczeroman
09-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Excellent song. Easily in the top-3 off that album.

reprise85
09-24-2011, 02:49 PM
FALSE.

AoI is a great closer and a great song.

It's not a bad song or anything, and it's a good kind of 'retrospective' ending song, but I just don't find it that great.

exactlythesame
09-24-2011, 03:18 PM
wtf are you talking about

didn't you know lack of guitars = electronica

get with it, euls

???
09-24-2011, 04:10 PM
AOI is a perfect closing song but it fades out too quickly.

reprise85
09-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Sell me on AOI, because I really don't get the hype. I like it but most of you guys seem to gush over it. Why is it so great?

???
09-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Sell me on AOI, because I really don't get the hype. I like it but most of you guys seem to gush over it. Why is it so great?

it just feels somewhat cinematic, with the driving chords and drums, and the concise 3 verse, 3 chorus song structure, with each one evolving a little bit from the last. the lyrics seemed to predict the coming of a nihilistic age, which of course is what happened in the 2000s. i guess it still feels like a vaguely prophetic song, because we're not out of the woods yet (and will we ever be?) i feel the song is all about that uncertainty, and simply waiting to see what the future holds. a poignant and thought-provoking sentiment to end the album on.

slunken
09-24-2011, 10:43 PM
well said. acoustc bridge school debut is a notable performance.

reprise85
09-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Is this not on archive or am I just missing it? ^

I do see what you are saying, I guess it just doesn't click with me as much for whatever reasons. I can appreciate what are you saying but it just doesn't move me in that way.

Thanks for humoring me.

T&T
09-24-2011, 11:29 PM
not on archive... don't know why not.

here's a torrent (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4246238/Smashing_Pumpkins_-_Bridge_School_Benefit_1999_DVD)

it's not may TOP song, but it really is great. I really like the dirtier untitled b-side version & the faster rocking out live versions.
Bridge is sweet in all versions.
"too young to die, to rich to care, to fucked to swear that i was there" sends shivers every time.

his voice is in this version is wonderful. :)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xa2NYt67mP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slunken
09-25-2011, 01:43 AM
yea that's the other great live version. though because he's on radio he doesn't sing the word fucked ;)

there's also an alt studio version from i think a machina promo? the production is a lot spacier in that one a la the two versions of "glass' theme"

slunken
09-25-2011, 01:45 AM
is the machina promo or pre-master version the same as the untitled single version?

ilikeplanets
09-25-2011, 09:32 AM
I like the piano and jazzy elements.....wouldn't consider this a favorite but it's okay

aomb1979
09-25-2011, 09:56 AM
http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1999-10-31.ssdsm6.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1999-10-30.shn

reprise85
09-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the links... I've listened to it before because I remember hearing the Stay cover, but it's been a while. Definitely better live like that ^

Eulogy
09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
didn't you know lack of guitars = electronica

get with it, euls

but there are guitars. or at least one. and it's pretty prominent.

Starla
09-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Was just listening to this the other day...in fact machina has been all i've listened to lately after not giving it much thought in a long while. Wound is another fav.

slunken
09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
want weird al to do another food based parody called "with every bite"?

amoergosum
04-21-2015, 03:52 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/srTcWIDA5f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thedeadofnight
04-21-2015, 04:36 AM
The good Billy wrote this song. Not the wrestling, widow wake my mind billy.

Eoin O'Mahony
Kent, UK
Vietnamese War Veteran

teh b0lly!!1
04-21-2015, 04:55 AM
used to listen to With Every Light a lot back when machina came out.
i really liked it. i guess i still do, but i haven't listened to it in years.

i always liked the relatively sparse piano work on it, and also on innocence

vajohna
04-21-2015, 05:16 AM
is the machina promo or pre-master version the same as the untitled single version?

Machina promo has an early mix of Age, but the Untitled single has (I guess) an even rougher mix for whatever reason renamed "Age Of I" in the inside liner notes (sine!1?)

http://img.2dehands.be/f/normal/223127134_1-smashing-pumpkins-untitled-cd-single.jpg

FoolofaTook
04-21-2015, 06:30 AM
with every light is a sweet tune. very uplifting. billy singing to his mom is always special.

but aoi... fucking christ! one of the best machina songs, classic tsp. that one line "too fucked to swear that I was there" is soooo heavy. rich, dense distortion. and "desolation yes, hesitation no" sums up the pumpkins pretty well, methinks.

FoolofaTook
04-21-2015, 06:31 AM
there's this ebow-ey version of aoi that was on the tsp official site (i think) which slayeth

Elijah Moon
04-21-2015, 10:38 AM
always been a big fan of that song

topleybird
04-21-2015, 11:13 AM
there's this ebow-ey version of aoi that was on the tsp official site (i think) which slayeth

What the what

Gonna need that sweet leek bro, strictly under the table wot wot

trevorbrooks
04-21-2015, 02:22 PM
shit. i also think about my grandma who passed away when i listen to this song. same effect.

Grox
04-21-2015, 02:33 PM
billy mourning the loss of his band is always very sad

topleybird
04-21-2015, 03:45 PM
[She was] too young to die
[Thanks to her will I'm] too rich to care
Too fucked to swear I was there [at my grammy's wake]

reprise85
04-21-2015, 04:01 PM
completely poor
no wake or funeral

Grox
04-21-2015, 04:01 PM
wtf at whoever said there's no guitars on with every light.... what is the instrument that enters 8 seconds in

slunken
04-21-2015, 04:07 PM
want weird al to do another food based parody called "with every bite"?

i'm hilarious

IWishIWasBlank
04-21-2015, 04:07 PM
confirmed

topleybird
04-21-2015, 04:42 PM
[She was] too young to die
[Thanks to her will I'm] too rich to care
Too fucked to swear I was there [at my grammy's wake]

Fuck he's saying "With Every Light" reminds him of his grandmother, I got confused

The pall-bearers are taking over
Throw the weight up off their shoulders now
That we're beside her grave
It's almost over, it's almost over
Throw the dirt on that ol' scolder now
It's money that I crave

Away with cardigan pockets filled with Werther's Originals...

Jelly Blossom
04-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Never was a huge fan of the song, but felt it was decent nonetheless.

I always wanted to hear Noel Gallagher from Oasis do a cover version of "With Every Light". The song always seemed to be perfect for him to sing/play.

Ram27
04-21-2015, 08:01 PM
I like the drumbeat and the song is one of the prettiest SP songs throughout

It's almost over, it's almost over
No more war and no more soldiers

James killing it on the ebow as well

vajohna
04-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Even Garson managed to not fuck that song.

Mals Marola
04-22-2015, 12:21 AM
loved this one from day 1, you hear me? day 1!
being reminded of the great songs at the end of machina 1 as well as what came from that time as a whole pretty much cements machina era as > than adore for me in any case

teh b0lly!!1
04-22-2015, 01:34 AM
if the song was recorded now, if would have lazy disinterested vocals cranked up over it, only two verse\chorus because the kids nowadays like it short and sweet, and no guitars because it is not a mainstream instrument anymore

dodoz
04-23-2015, 12:21 AM
I love "Machina", plain and simple. And it's always good to isolate one song from an album, go back to it and listen for its own merits. The end of the Pumpkins right there, with a flawed, yes, but epic album.

Mals Marola
04-23-2015, 04:37 PM
if the song was recorded now, if would have lazy disinterested vocals cranked up over it, only two verse\chorus because the kids nowadays like it short and sweet, and no guitars because it is not a mainstream instrument anymore

it wouldn't be recorded or released now because it's one of his good songs
oh boom, burn, momma, hootie & the blow!

wHATcOLOR
04-25-2015, 05:31 AM
Hadn't listened to either of these songs in quite some time, just listened now and woah. Feeling some stuff. Kinda heavy. Dang

Woody
04-25-2015, 07:00 AM
loved this one from day 1, you hear me? day 1!
being reminded of the great songs at the end of machina 1 as well as what came from that time as a whole pretty much cements machina era as > than adore for me in any case

Adore is more of a Billy solo album than a Pumpkins album, with only half a dozen keepers. Machina has much better material spread across it's 3x discs, plus Jimmy. There's an album to rival SD and MCIS hidden away in there, it's no wonder fans spent 15 years reworking the tracklisting etc. Machina is a crappy name though, should've just called it "TFAEOMM" or "Black Wings" or whatever other names they were knocking around at the time..

FoolofaTook
04-26-2015, 10:20 AM
Hadn't listened to either of these songs in quite some time, just listened now and woah. Feeling some stuff. Kinda heavy. Dang

hang in there, brosephus. you are still beautiful on the outside. if all else fails remember that.

themadcaplaughs
04-26-2015, 04:35 PM
it just feels somewhat cinematic, with the driving chords and drums, and the concise 3 verse, 3 chorus song structure, with each one evolving a little bit from the last. the lyrics seemed to predict the coming of a nihilistic age, which of course is what happened in the 2000s. i guess it still feels like a vaguely prophetic song, because we're not out of the woods yet (and will we ever be?) i feel the song is all about that uncertainty, and simply waiting to see what the future holds. a poignant and thought-provoking sentiment to end the album on.

Good summary on all counts: some other thoughts of mine...

-In my opinion, the only track on the first Machina album that can be listened to as a complete stand alone. I would guess this is because it was recorded after the rest of it, but it just has a different feel. Even the great songs off Machina ("Stand Inside Your Love" and "I of the Mounring") still have a very distinctive sound and do not make complete sense outside the context of that album (perhaps why I've always thought the Machina songs sounded glaringly out of place on the greatest hits album). To me, this could have just as easily been a stand alone single completely unrelated to any album.

-Those final lyrics

desolation yes
hesitation no
desolation yes
hesitation no
as you might have guessed
we won't make it home
desolation yes
hesitation no

In terms of directly addressing the band breaking up, "This Time" seems to address his sadness on the band ending and Jimmy and D'arcy's drug abuse. "Try, Try, Try" seems to be his song about his fallihg out with James Iha. This song does not seem as directly related to the idea of the band breaking up, but seems to capture the spirit I remember in the fan community in 2000. That it was a consistently brilliant band (even if we did not always understand what the hell was going on) that now seemed to be ending prematurely.

It loses some of its power with hindsight. We now know the band relationships had been crumbling for some time and Billy would eventually bring the Smashing Pumpkins back (albeit in a bastardized form that only occasionally has moments of brilliance). Nonetheless, that attitude of "we gave it the best shot we could" always takes me back to hearing that song again for the fist time.

dreams of glass
04-27-2015, 02:29 AM
it's funny, I had that line stuck in my head a few days ago

look ma, the sun is shining on me

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ZZcJ9_3wCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>