View Full Version : will billy corgan ever go this far?

Andy /
07-14-2011, 01:19 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/jul/14/morrissey-fans

Throwing out his own fans – has Morrissey finally lost it?

After a 5,000-mile trip from LA to Copenhagen, a Morrissey fansite owner was looking forward to seeing his favourite artist in concert. Instead he was refused entry and given a lifetime ban

As bad gig experiences go, you'll have a tough time beating David Tseng – who, earlier this week, flew more than 5,000 miles from Los Angeles to Copenhagen only to be surrounded by security, kicked out without refund and later told (via a public statement) that the artist he had devoted his life to had banned him from his concerts. "You know what you did," he was told as security marched him out. "Er, I don't," he replied.

He might have had an inkling, though. Tseng is the owner of Morrissey-Solo.com (or "so low", as the singer calls it) – a popular fansite he has been running for nearly 15 years and whose extremities of love and loathing have earned it a contentious reputation. As one fan recently put it: "Moz once sang that it takes strength to be gentle and kind, but that's not the mentality of the trolls who comment on Solo." It's safe to say Morrissey isn't a member.

The singer recently took to the stage with a "FUCK MORRISSEY-SOLO.COM" T-shirt, while his spokesman declared war this week: "Mr Tseng, via his poisonous website, has caused so much intentional distress to Morrissey and Morrissey's band over the years that Mr Tseng is not welcome at any Morrissey shows."

Tseng told the Guardian he was shocked: "I've never intended to cause distress to Morrissey or his band. I post little commentary on the site, preferring to leave the discussion to site users – he seems to blame me for his fans' opinions. I don't agree with every post on there but I believe in free speech – I don't like to censor, which is something he is supposedly against.

"It's a control thing. If he doesn't have control of the site then he doesn't like it – he wants to knock it down. I think it's because he's having trouble getting a record deal so he's looking for someone to blame. He's frustrated."

The main issue, Tseng says, seems to be vitriolic criticism of Morrissey's "stagnant" new material and a backing band that some fans think needs desperately to be changed. The recent move to ban Tseng, however, has been seen as an attack not only on him, but on fans in general. It marks a turning point in what has been a weird time for Morrissey, when he doesn't have a record deal yet never seems to be out of the press (a cynic would say the two are related).

Producers, support acts, record labels, managers, session musicians, former band members, politicians, celebrity chefs – 30 years into his career, Morrissey has fallen out with them all. Yet fans have remained fervent followers whose devotion is beyond measure. They not only buy the lacklustre reissues he insists never chart, go to the gigs he cancels at a whim and stick with him after questionable comments, they're also the same fans who kept posting on websites such as Morrissey-Solo.com during his "wilderness years" between 1997 and 2003 when no record label would touch him – a prospect he may face now. To fall out with them is not only – as a certain dog did recently – biting the hand that feeds but possibly the moment where Morrissey has finally lost it.

Mo
07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
At least Pakula would have the excuse that he doesn't even run this place anymore.

Catherine Wheel
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Morrissey, Axl Rose, Billy Corgan

the assholes of rock

purrrrrsnickety
07-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I like to pretend that Axl Rose doesn't exist.

MyOneAndOnly
07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
while it is petty to ban the guy, for David Tseng to state that he can't image why Morrissey would ban him from his concerts is obsurd. Tseng knows what Morrissey thinks of him and his web site. Moz hates the guy.

wHATcOLOR
07-14-2011, 02:46 PM
kind of amazing. only real difference btwn this and us is, as mo pointed out, pakula's not really involved.

Mo
07-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, but then he'd lose 50% of his active fan base all at once.

MyOneAndOnly
07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
If he was going to go that far, I think the crew at HU would be the first ones sanctioned. aside from the recent retard incident, HU has been at the top of b0lly's list a lot in the last year.

bahnzah
07-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah, but then he'd lose 50% of his active fan base all at once.
it would be the half that doesn't generate him any income though.

fuzzyroes
07-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Haha there definitely is a lot of parallels amongst the 2 artists as of late it seems :P

Order 66
07-14-2011, 06:33 PM
morrisey seems kind of unstable in general. billy may be misguided but i wouldn't call him unstable

MyOneAndOnly
07-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Lots of parallels between the two. But Mozzer isn't nearly the song writer or musician that billy is.

Plus, billy doesn't demand that venues go vegetarian before he plays there.

Meat is fucking god damn murder!

MyOneAndOnly
07-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Love The Smiths, but seriously, Meat is Murder is the worst fucking song ever.

antiskum
07-14-2011, 11:34 PM
i joined a forum and heaven knows i'm miserable now

runnersdialzero
07-14-2011, 11:57 PM
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=172576

Tight!

Trotskilicious
07-15-2011, 12:38 AM
morressy says cool stuff occasionally and he's smarter, and more astute politically. I mean, being apathetic about that stuff would be a step up from Chemtrails Corgan

he does suffer from chronic butthurtedness, I think billy is more like, advanced douchebaggery

Trotskilicious
07-15-2011, 12:48 AM
i think not eating meat is the leading cause of chronic butthurtedness

starlightvideoproductions
07-16-2011, 01:07 AM
I love Morrissey. He's my hero. I want to hug him.

MyOneAndOnly
07-17-2011, 08:36 PM
I love Morrissey. He's my hero. I want to hug him.

i have hugged him. he was hot happy about it. back in the early 90s at a record signing. so many people were there that they had to rush him out of the record store.

Ramdust
07-19-2011, 11:35 PM
That's pretty hilarious. This made my day. Thanks. And, yes, Billy will probably go that far someday soon.

teamneedle
07-22-2011, 01:18 AM
During the 20th Anniversary show in Kansas City, Billy passed out on stage then pranced through the audience with a top hat on while his body guards threw people out of his way ( i didn't ask the asshole to go through the audience, why should i get pushed out of the way like I am a piece of shit)
and then finally he went back on stage and called everyone a piece of shit cause he didn't want to play the songs people wanted-

yeah, he has gone that far.

Ihaguitar
07-22-2011, 02:35 AM
while it is petty to ban the guy, for David Tseng to state that he can't image why Morrissey would ban him from his concerts is obsurd. Tseng knows what Morrissey thinks of him and his web site. Moz hates the guy.

That isnt even a word, man.

barden
07-23-2011, 06:21 PM
wtf is this MU place?

cardiac
07-27-2011, 06:35 AM
But Mozzer isn't nearly the song writer or musician that billy is.

The songwriter bit is debatable. He IS one of the better lyricists of his generation and still puts out material that completely shits all over Billy's current work.

Case in point:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X3PhKOKOdms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He is a fucking pretentious asshole, still.

Slurpee
07-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Some would argue that being banned from SP concerts at this point would be a gift from Billy.

Raskolnikov
07-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Case in point:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X3PhKOKOdms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great song, easily one of the best from his post-Quarry years. I still think Life is a Pigsty takes the cake, though.

An aside: that black and white still shot at the start of this video is amazing. Going to hunt out a desktop sized version of that if it kills me.

Morrissey is a pretentious bastard, yeah. But somehow I find it more endearing as of late than Billy. Even though they both openly slander past band-mates, I take greater offense at BC's trashing of James, etc because James/Darcy/Jimmy meant a great deal to me in my musically formative years, while the Smiths broke up while I was in elementary school.

But really, though - how can he prevent somebody from buying a ticket to one of his concerts and walking into the venue? Love that he's even trying.

Trotskilicious
07-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Morrissey is more charming because he's pretty obviously highly intelligent so he actually does have something to be pretentious about. Billy Corgan is kind of dumb as we've all come to discover, he writes over-emotional lyrics, has absolutely no self-awareness, and generally considers himself to be a genius when he hasn't made anything significant in about 15 years.

Basically what I'm saying is that Mozzer's got more to be pretentious about, and like his fans are saying here, he still puts out quality. I'm terribly unlearned about his career and the Smiths but I have read interviews with him in which he says some really intelligent, poignant things. The anti-meat posturing is annoying, but I'll take that over chem trails and self-indulgent whining any day of the week.

Thom Yorke is another parallel, I've found him to be pretentious and smug but I still note that he is highly intelligent, has some level of self awareness, and his artistic output is still quite good. Plus he delivers "But guys! He's got cancer! In his ass!" with such sincerity it's hard not to love him.

Any time billy did anything that seemed self-depreciating or self-aware it was insincere and seemed like he was making a joke out of the very concept that he wasn't 100% awesome.

IEatMyFeces
07-27-2011, 11:42 PM
During the 20th Anniversary show in Kansas City, Billy passed out on stage then pranced through the audience with a top hat on while his body guards threw people out of his way ( i didn't ask the asshole to go through the audience, why should i get pushed out of the way like I am a piece of shit)
and then finally he went back on stage and called everyone a piece of shit cause he didn't want to play the songs people wanted-

yeah, he has gone that far.

That's disappointing. Sorry you had to be there.