View Full Version : Exercise/"diet"/fitness support thread

Sepiae
06-14-2011, 07:45 PM
According to the picture thread, some of the seven people who still post here want to get in shape. We can swap tips and encourage each other here, because, well, if the past two years have taught me anything, other people really don't want to hear about that shit.

WE CAN BUILD ON THIS.

dean_r_koontz
06-14-2011, 07:50 PM
who is this person?

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Don't eat like a shit bag and do cardio. It's not rocket science. Self control

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
or coke and extacy also work too I'm sure

dean_r_koontz
06-14-2011, 07:55 PM
sarcastic smile i'm sorry about everything. please come live with me in sweden.

Andy /
06-14-2011, 07:55 PM
i support this foundational activity

Andy /
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
and this thread

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
what does eating like a shitbag entail because i've been about the same weight since high school so I'm not really sure i'm "overeating"

obscured01
06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
and this thread<font color="dab9ea"></font>

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
cuz that's a really shitty myth about fat people, tbh. I can't even finish a plate at a restaurant.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 07:58 PM
my max is three pieces of pizza, but i know skinny motherfuckers that can pack a whole pie away in minutes. shit one of the most in shape dudes i know literally inhales sweets. He'd destroy a truck full of peeps in a matter of minutes.

Future Boy
06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
maybe its the cardio then

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Ayup.

Sepiae
06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I started using the Daily Plate (http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/) a year ago and found it really helpful. I did pretty well on my own for awhile but stalled. Once I started measuring my food and paying attention to portion size, things picked up again.

I don't think there is one tried and true method of eating that works. So many women's fitness mags talk about grilled chicken, steamed vegetables, and brown rice. There's just no way I'm going to eat that way. If you pay attention to serving size and don't eyeball or guess things for several months, you can work food you actually like into your daily diet. Because if you don't like what you're eating, you're not going to stick with it.

TuralyonW3
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM
I ran out of weed a couple of weeks ago and I've lost like 10 pounds

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Fitness is one of the worst magazines I've ever thumbed through on the john.

I could actually deal with steamed broccoli, chicken and brown rice for dinner. But the lack of variety will eventually condemn me.

killtrocity
06-14-2011, 08:23 PM
#1 tip: eat breakfast

Future Boy
06-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Trots as a fellow flat footer a good pair of shoes and proper ankle support really helps prevent next day pain. Id recommend the Air Alaris but I'm not sure if a new model is coming out. An ankle brace might be good, but finding a comfortable enough one was a pain, I eventually went with a bandage and learning how to wrap it up on youtube. You'll still be sore, but it wont be the walking on a stump type of pain. I use an elliptical though, not running, helps avoid the shin splints too. For me anyway.

Mooney
06-14-2011, 08:31 PM
#1 tip: eat breakfast

but these calories would have to come from cutting back on other meals during the day. if you currently don't eat breakfast, cutting say five hundred calories a day to lose a pound a week while adding a meal would be almost impossible. especially if your body is already rigged to fast until lunch.

eating breakfast is definitely a healthy life decision, but i wouldn't recommend it if your goal is to start losing weight.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
LET'S DO THIS BROS.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
It jumpstarts your metabolism. Even my anorexic girlfriend eats breakfast. The problem is that she considers a cup of coffee lunch. :(

Sepiae
06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Agreed. The right pair of shoes makes all the difference in the world. You should be able to find a store that lets you walk or jog in the shoes and analyzes whether they work for you. Like this:

http://www.hillcountryrunningcompany.com/

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 08:38 PM
That's great. Buy stuff.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 08:39 PM
but these calories would have to come from cutting back on other meals during the day. if you currently don't eat breakfast, cutting say five hundred calories a day to lose a pound a week while adding a meal would be almost impossible. especially if your body is already rigged to fast until lunch.

eating breakfast is definitely a healthy life decision, but i wouldn't recommend it if your goal is to start losing weight.

i skip lunch if i have a big breakfast and then i'll eat a granola bar or something in the afternoon and a small dinner in the evening

mooney your advice is absolutely wrong and i would stop giving it if i were you. all you've ever lost were vanity pounds. Honestly most of the people in this thread that's true for. Are any of you actually fat or are you just worried about that pinch of dough on your stomach? Because, fuck you.

Future Boy
06-14-2011, 08:54 PM
That's great. Buy stuff.

the free version involves foot pain. I got the pair of shoes at Kohls for 70 bucks.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
I have worked extremely hard to increase my muscle mass and minimize the fat on my body. It's not been easy. And all fat is vanity pounds. Some of it may be health related too, but every pound is vanity. Only some aren't. Still, that doesn't make my efforts any less meaningful. I may not even have great results to show for it, but I've worked very hard over the years to lift regularly and eat healthily. It's not easy being hungry for long periods of time or pushing your muscles beyond the comfort of a computer chair.

You need to change your lifestyle, not just a habit or two. You need a strict schedule you don't break. You need self discipline. You need will power. You're wasting your time otherwise.

Mooney
06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
i skip lunch if i have a big breakfast and then i'll eat a granola bar or something in the afternoon and a small dinner in the evening

mooney your advice is absolutely wrong and i would stop giving it if i were you. all you've ever lost were vanity pounds. Honestly most of the people in this thread that's true for. Are any of you actually fat or are you just worried about that pinch of dough on your stomach? Because, fuck you.

my adult weight has fluctuated over a span of 57lbs - that's a stretch to call vanity pounds.

i've admitted in both threads that the way i've lost weight isn't the healthiest or smartest way, but it is mostly just a testament to rather than focusing on gimmicks like optimizing metabolism by eating seventeen small meals a day, avoiding certain foods, or burning the equivalent of a granola bar by running twenty minutes, at the end of the day all that matters is reducing calories. i've shared methods that have helped me lose significant weight on three separate occasions, that is all.

weigh yourself today. do whatever you feel appropriate/can handle to cut calories for a week...nothing too drastic. weigh yourself again. if you've eaten less food, then you will probably tip the scales slightly less. you will most likely feel good about this and it will motivate you to do it a second week. after even just a few weeks your body will adjust to eating less food and you won't feel hungry all the time. give it a shot. i won't say another word.

dean_r_koontz
06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
ugh

ilikeplanets
06-14-2011, 09:16 PM
This is wonderful. I have 18 pounds left to lose, I'm almost there! Then I think I will be not-fat, after having lost a total of a lot.

redbreegull
06-14-2011, 09:20 PM
I just started going to the gym in my apartment complex. I am currently in the worst shape I have ever been in... I don't eat too badly (I don't really like junk food, much prefer fruits and veggies and such), but I basically live my life sitting down. It's likely I am on my feet less than 2 hours a day. Also, I have drank a lot of beers and smoked a lot of drugs over the past few years. So far I have been running on a treadmill and using the bike machine a lot... I seem to be able to do this infinitely as long as I give myself breaks. Upper body stuff is really hard though. Those hydraulic machine things that work out pecs and upper arms really kill me.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Triceps exercises are the worst imo because nobody ever fucking uses them in normal day-to-day stuff. And yeah, same for pecs. Humans don't really need huge pec muscles, so they're hard to build and maintain.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 09:32 PM
You need to change your lifestyle

sounds fucking awful

i think i'll just be fat then

killtrocity
06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
smoked a lot of drugs

lol

Triceps exercises are the worst imo because nobody ever fucking uses them in normal day-to-day stuff. And yeah, same for pecs. Humans don't really need huge pec muscles, so they're hard to build and maintain.

strange... my triceps are the most solid of my upper body muscles

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 09:40 PM
do you swim killtrocity, you seem to have the ludicrous torso of a born swimmer

ilikeplanets
06-14-2011, 09:46 PM

I can't do anything about my triceps, no matter how much I work them at the gym. Even if everything else is super skinny, my arms won't be.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
lol

strange... my triceps are the most solid of my upper body muscles

They are some of the biggest muscles on your body. But only lifting brings them out. If you don't lift, you don't really have them.

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
06-14-2011, 09:57 PM
im on a permanent dirty bulk

Sepiae
06-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Yoga is good for triceps.

sickbadthing
06-14-2011, 10:14 PM
HEROIN

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
you guys are all fucking retarded. Stop reading "fitness magazines" .. it's science. You shouldn't get your health advice from a magazine that also has an article about "10 things he won't tell you he likes in bed" or "hottest sumer trends"

Sepiae
06-14-2011, 10:30 PM
you guys are all fucking retarded. Stop reading "fitness magazines" .. it's science. You shouldn't get your health advice from a magazine that also has an article about "10 things he won't tell you he likes in bed" or "hottest sumer trends"

I lost a bunch of weight safely and over a long period of time. People were talking about wanting to lose weight. I figured we could help each other, since it can be overwhelming. No reason to be a fucking bitch.

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 10:34 PM
and yeah trots.. im not going to comment on your comments individually because I don't have time but it is common knowledge that people's metabolisms work differently.I have friends who can do like 15 crunches and have abs and I need to work a lot harder than that, boohoo. You're lying to yourself if you say you are trying your hardest right now, I would be lying to myself if I said I was trying my hardest right now. When I do try hard and have discipline I absolutely see results and you would too.

And using the example of "I only eat max. 3 slices of PIZZA" ? really?

You don't need to live of rice cakes, raw broccoli, and water. Its more about calorie intake vs. usage... so hypothetically you could eat 2 snickers bars.. if thats all you wanted to eat all day, but you wouldn't get the nutrition you need from that and you'd be starving all day. Getting into a regular workout routine helps in more ways than burning calories.. I'm lazy as fuck but I make myself do it. I feel way better after I do and after you sweat your tits off you think twice about drinking that 300 calorie beer that is equal to the 40 minutes you just jogged on the treadmill.

whatever I'm not Dr. Phill and I'm not getting sucked into this thread.

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 10:37 PM
I lost a bunch of weight safely and over a long period of time. People were talking about wanting to lose weight. I figured we could help each other, since it can be overwhelming. No reason to be a fucking bitch.

I guess I'm more annoyed at Trots and whoever said breakfast was the solution to weight loss. And you're actually right about portion control. sorry I just get annoyed about people who act like they are powerless over their weight, when its something that can be fixed and the benefits go far beyond vanity. I shouldn't have gotten involved in this thread

duovamp
06-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Shut up, you're not exactly skinny.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
God you're like Kristin if she was from Boston, do you have any concept of how crass and rude you come off?

Sarcastic Smile
compared to your anorexic jailbait?

Order 66
i started doing that p90x shit. gotta admit i'm looking pretty good

Trotskilicious
shut the fuck up and go away sarcastic smile, you're awful.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 10:40 PM
i mean this thread has completely managed to sap all my motivation to get in shape.

think twice about drinking that 300 calorie beer

I don't want to live like this.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 10:40 PM
compared to your anorexic jailbait?

She's older than I am. But yes, compared to my girlfriend shit yes you're fat.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
and absolutely not one of you have ever been honest to god fat but you're still assholes about it.

duovamp
Jealous bitches are the wooooooorst.

TuralyonW3
Everyone should quit talkin like they know shit

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 10:42 PM
God you're like Kristin if she was from Boston, do you have any concept of how crass and rude you come off?

I had no idea netphoria had become the pinnacle of etiquette and kindness. . My apologies to SEPIA. Who works out and exercises and was trying to do a nice positive thing that I rained on. Not to your cranky ass

duovamp
06-14-2011, 10:42 PM
and absolutely not one of you have ever been honest to god fat but you're still assholes about it.

So maybe you've been dealt a bad hand genetically, but maybe you haven't. The only way you'll get in shape is through hard work though, no matter what. Your call dudebro. I wish you the absolute best, because I know it gets you down and I really like you. Yes homo.

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Jealous bitches are the wooooooorst.

i don't even know what your girlfriend looks like

duovamp
06-14-2011, 10:44 PM
She doesn't have blonde hair, bad makeup, and a fat body, I'll tell ya that.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Shit just got real.

Sepiae
06-14-2011, 10:45 PM
I was 5'6" and pushing 230 at my heaviest, which would probably be considered fat.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I mean I'm just saying I watch people eat worse and more in one sitting than I do, they drink far more than I do, and do just as little exercise as I do and they aren't even fat as I am but I'm supposed to sit here and take abuse from obnoxious blondes about how easy it all is if you just have willpower. Fuck you, seriously. I actually may have to eat rice cakes and drink water did you ever think about that, retard? And when I say three pieces max we aren't talking about those east coast quarter and i'm not talking about every time, I'm talking a third of a pizza and i'm comatose on the couch rubbing my stomach because I'm so full. Is serving size in shitty blonde girl land a half a sliver of pepperoni or what.

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 10:46 PM
but she eats coffee for lunch and dates you.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 10:47 PM
I had no idea netphoria had become the pinnacle of etiquette and kindness. . My apologies to SEPIA. Who works out and exercises and was trying to do a nice positive thing that I rained on. Not to your cranky ass

nah see it's one thing when you do it on purpose like i am now and when it's just inadvertent, unknowing, and unapologetic total cunt behavior which is you.

you called Sepiae a retard to start your post off, I mean what the fuck is wrong with you seriously. This isn't Boston and we aren't the Departed. RETAHD.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 10:47 PM
And she has a good job.

TuralyonW3
06-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Trots, for what it's worth, when I lived in Austin, I ate less than 2000 calories a day (still plenty of leeway for good food and beer and weed munchies and whatnot), got a 24 hour fitness membership (cheap at the right times, check for summer deals), went like 4 times a week, mostly walked on the treadmill (4mph or so) for half an hour while listening to music/audiobooks (or watched sports/news on their TVs) and did like 10-15 of basic weights/abs, then went home and smoked a bowl. My metabolism is pretty shitty and I've often battled weight, but the pounds came off damn steadily and surely with this routine. Good old times, sigh.

null123
It jumpstarts your metabolism. Even my anorexic girlfriend eats breakfast. The problem is that she considers a cup of coffee lunch. :(

this is actually complete bullshit but people sure like to repeat it

Trotskilicious
Yes homo.

lulz

duovamp
06-14-2011, 10:49 PM
this is actually complete bullshit but people sure like to repeat it

Queen of fitness right here. :rolleyes:

redbreegull
06-14-2011, 10:50 PM
come on trots, you can do it. far more lazy and feckless bitches have gone from fat to fit through hard work. you just gotta work out. you KNOW in your heart you will be happier with yourself. clinging on to short ephemeral pleasures like too much pizza and beer is not going to reward you in the same capacity as getting in shape and feeling good about your body and willpower. just fucking do it.

TuralyonW3
I'm 5'9" and I went from like 215 to 190 pretty damn quick using the routine above.

duovamp
Hey Charmhag, there's a thread about looking like boys over there that needs your advice.

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 10:51 PM
serving size in shitty blonde girl land is 1 small pizza, 1 turkey, and 1 gallon of iced cream

duovamp
06-14-2011, 10:52 PM
This thread turned into such a fucking awesome flame war.

Sepiae
06-14-2011, 10:54 PM
This thread turned into such a fucking awesome flame war.

I suppose it's more entertaining than sharing running advice...

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 10:55 PM
It gets annoying when someone just calls everyone stupid and retarded in every single fucking post and it's not even directed at specific stupid, retarded people just EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. It's fucking grating.

null123
06-14-2011, 11:00 PM
okay I'm sorry, Duovamp is right. keep your insulin spiked from dawn til dusk, I'm sure your fat cells will really feel the burn.

duovamp
06-14-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm always right. Sooner you learn that the sooner you can stop embarrassing yourself.

Eulogy
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
It gets annoying when someone just calls everyone stupid and retarded in every single fucking post and it's not even directed at specific stupid, retarded people just EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD. It's fucking grating.

i mean seriously

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 11:13 PM
nah see it's one thing when you do it on purpose like i am now and when it's just inadvertent, unknowing, and unapologetic total cunt behavior which is you.

Ok trots because you know me so well? Netphoria is a place where my amygdala goes to puke. I don't even remember what I said before but my point was that anything can work if you just use common sense, but you really don't need the atkins diet or a fancy pair of shoes or diet pills or even breakfast. Different things work for different people but discipline and hard work is needed and yes, some need to work harder than others...i need to work harder than most of my friends, and you probably need to work harder than me.

you called Sepiae a retard to start your post off, I mean what the fuck is wrong with you seriously. This isn't Boston and we aren't the Departed. RETAHD.
No I said you're all fucking retards actually. And I apologized to Sepia for being a victim of my impulsive and misdirected anger.

Your snarky comments on page 1 about "oh thats so easy for skinny people to say" and "I have friend that eat like 2 pizzas and 1 case beer and they are way skinnier than I am" well guess what buddy, you're not your friend. So yeah I came off rude. I'm just trying to be honest what do you want me to say? oh here:

So maybe you've been dealt a bad hand genetically, but maybe you haven't. The only way you'll get in shape is through hard work though, no matter what. Your call dudebro. I wish you the absolute best, because I know it gets you down and I really like you. Yes homo.

Eulogy
06-14-2011, 11:15 PM
but anyway

my problem is finding a time to jam a decent workout into my daily routine. if i could find an hour and and some 10 and 25 lb. free weights i'd be well on my way back to good shape. but either my class schedule is annoying or i get home from work and i just want to relax. i think i might have to get rid of my 30-45 minute relaxation time in the morning, because that really is entirely disposable. blech.

i'm not fat or in terrible shape right now but i will be if i keep up current trends.

null123
06-14-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm not even in the bottom 50% ugliest people in this thread. why does Duovamp talk so much shit about my looks when literally every photo of him looks like an "if they mated"?

Eulogy
06-14-2011, 11:17 PM
....and now that i'm thinking about it, i don't even need the free weights. a half hour to an hour of running followed by a focused work out of effective push-ups and crunches would be just fine.

WHY DON'T I DO THIS?

fuck you all i'm doing it tomorrow morning.

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 11:18 PM
why are you letting what duovamp says even spend more than 2 seconds marinating in your brain?

Future Boy
06-14-2011, 11:18 PM
you questioned him. thats about it.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm just trying to be honest

That's not an excuse to be a bitch.

TuralyonW3
06-14-2011, 11:20 PM
....and now that i'm thinking about it, i don't even need the free weights. a half hour to an hour of running followed by a focused work out of effective push-ups and crunches would be just fine.

WHY DON'T I DO THIS?

fuck you all i'm doing it tomorrow morning.

If I was gay I'd stay in shape by having lots of sex. Dudes are always in the mood and that shit works the abs and ass. For real.

Eulogy
06-14-2011, 11:22 PM
If I was gay I'd stay in shape by having lots of sex. Dudes are always in the mood and that shit works the abs and ass. For real.

in all srsns, sometimes i wake up feeling like i had just performed one of the most intense workouts of my life

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 11:26 PM

my exact post:

"you guys are all fucking retarded. Stop reading "fitness magazines" .. it's science. You shouldn't get your health advice from a magazine that also has an article about "10 things he won't tell you he likes in bed" or "hottest sumer trends" "

"You guys are all fucking retarded" do I really need to tell you that this sentence is not to be taken seriously? You love making excuses for everything. Maybe if you spent the same amount of time going for a walk than you just did in this thread saying you have a "genetic disadvantage" you would feel better about yourself.

And you can say whatever the fuck you want about me being a cunt bitch blonde. I just trying to be honest with you. I'm a frank person. All that other "you're all retarded" stuff is just work vomit. You don't need to be honest here but if you want to lose weight you need to be honest with yourself. No way you are putting in your best effort and seeing zero results. and in the event that you are, go see you're DR. and get your stomach stapled.

I don't want to see you fail. You can say whatever you want about my cunt ways but I don't wish bad things on you at all.. contrary.. I want to see you succeed in losing weight because I know that once you start doing so everything in your life will get better. And no, not just for vanity reasons...

Sarcastic Smile
06-14-2011, 11:27 PM
That's not an excuse to be a bitch.

fuck you I don't need an excuse. pot.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 11:39 PM
yeah i already mentioned you were unapologetic and pretty careless.

mercurial
06-14-2011, 11:42 PM
i'm only eating ice cubes for lunch for the next month

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 11:42 PM
No way you are putting in your best effort and seeing zero results.

I never implied this at all, I'm just saying I get sick of perfectly normal sized people talking about how to lose weight because they're constantly trying to because they are insane. That is vanity and it does make me pretty sick to my stomach to listen to you talk and read what you write because even though you're talking about how magazines are stupid you sound like one. I mean, I look at this shit on the can at work and it's basically a line by line "hate your body" manual to make women feel bad about any fat on their bodies at all.

Eulogy
06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
so you put in basically zero effort and get pissed that people who put in effort aren't fat and try to explain why that is

or am i misinterpreting something here

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 11:53 PM
you're misinterpreting everything, you smug little jackoff.

Trotskilicious
06-14-2011, 11:54 PM
honestly your reading comprehension is terrible because the only thing i was actually pissed off about that was even close to that is that i put in next to zero effort and i don't lose weight and i know dozens of average sized people who put in zero effort and don't gain weight. I mean really dude, go fuck yourself.

I mean other than the thin to average people losing vanity weight acting like they can even begin to understand what it's like to try and get in shape when you're a big blob of dough that has never been in shape.

Future Boy
06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Trots I'm bigger than you. Get off your ass or shut up.

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Honestly your advice and some other people's was the only shit I looked at, honestly reading about Eulogy "getting in shape" is a motherfucking joke. I mean really guy how can you not puke at all these thin fuckholes talking about how fat they are.

Future Boy
06-15-2011, 12:01 AM
i'll admit, eulogy was pushing it.

Sarcastic Smile
06-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Duovamp just called me fat. My Dr. told me I need to lose 15-20lbs. I'm sure other people here think I could lose some weight. Just because you have more to lose than I do doesn't mean its not hard to buckle down. A pound is a pound. Pretty sure I've worked out more in the past 6 months than you probably have your entire live so spare me also. I work my ass off. GOD THIS THREAD IS SUCH A FUCKING WASTE OF TIMEAFJSFJAJJF

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 12:13 AM
shut the fuck up

cork_soaker
06-15-2011, 12:13 AM
you can do it, trots

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 12:14 AM
thanks friend.

cork_soaker
06-15-2011, 12:17 AM
you're quite welcome

TuralyonW3
06-15-2011, 12:19 AM
SHUT THE FUCK UP CORK SOAKER YOU THIN HANDSOME MOTHERFUCKER

cork_soaker
06-15-2011, 12:22 AM
don't you think he can do it?

cork_soaker
06-15-2011, 12:28 AM
i mean, jeez

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 12:31 AM
nah

i'll probably hurt myself really bad trying to run and then die of a heart attack in the hospital while eating oatmeal

TuralyonW3
06-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Dude just start with power walkin

obscured01
06-15-2011, 12:49 AM
Duovamp just called me fat. My Dr. told me I need to lose 15-20lbs. I'm sure other people here think I could lose some weight. Just because you have more to lose than I do doesn't mean its not hard to buckle down. A pound is a pound.

<font color="dab9ea">Yeah, a pound is a pound, but when you've got 50+ lbs to lose compared to losing 10-15 it's not enough to be happy for just one or two lbs. It's like no visible results no glory. With me I couldn't even physically tell I'd lost any weight until I'd gotten past the 50lb mark, so you begin to question why you're even putting yourself through all of that when you can't tell. Opposed to someone who has to lose 10-15, you lose half that and you've lost a dress size, it's overtly obvious.

It's an entirely different mindset.</font>

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Dude just start with power walkin

Funny thing is that I have and the dog LOVES IT.

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 12:53 AM
i've also cut down on smokes with the aim of being cigarette free in 2012

Trotskilicious
<font color="dab9ea">Yeah, a pound is a pound, but when you've got 50+ lbs to lose compared to losing 10-15 it's not enough to be happy for just one or two lbs. It's like no visible results no glory. With me I couldn't even physically tell I'd lost any weight until I'd gotten past the 50lb mark, so you begin to question why you're even putting yourself through all of that when you can't tell. Opposed to someone who has to lose 10-15, you lose half that and you've lost a dress size, it's overtly obvious.

It's an entirely different mindset.</font>

that really should be obvious but the peroxide has melted her brain

Mooney
I mean other than the thin to average people losing vanity weight acting like they can even begin to understand what it's like to try and get in shape when you're a big blob of dough that has never been in shape.

you're right. we don't know what its like to be fat and not be able to lose weight without trying. we can't empathize.

get a scale. weigh yourself. for one week put the amount of effort that you put into concerning yourself with tearing apart skinnier people that have been able to lose 'vanity' weight that are trying to help you into trying to eat less. weigh yourself again. you will probably have lost a pound or two. if you do, repeat. if you don't feel free to deride me for eternity.

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 12:54 AM
shut up mooney

null123
06-15-2011, 01:02 AM
you (and everybody) should read this (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html) article Trots. I think you would find it enlightening and validating.

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 01:09 AM
for charging people as much as they do to look at online content the NYT has a lot of ads

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 01:13 AM
interesting i've always targeted fast food but this stuff about the epidemic starting in the 80s makes me realize i can and will blame Reagan esoterically for <i>absolutely everything wrong with America</i>.

Thanks Charmbag!

FlyinLo_DyinSlo
06-15-2011, 01:14 AM
you (and everybody) should read this (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html) article Trots. I think you would find it enlightening and validating.
22 pages? rofl negged

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Can you just go to /b/ and stay there

null123
06-15-2011, 01:27 AM
22 pages? rofl negged

the article explains that different people do better on the typical Western diet than others for reasons that are not explained by "calories in/calories out". a pound is not a pound, necessarily. understanding the mechanisms behind that can be a useful clue in understanding how to feed ourselves. as a culture we seem to be really into ascribing a moral value to weight, and assume that people are fat because of being weak willed or lazy. Gary Taubes actually uses science to demonstrate why that mentality is factually incorrect besides just being fucked up.

redbreegull
06-15-2011, 01:42 AM
well everything is determined

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 01:45 AM
but i don't know if i'm predetermined to be in good health in my 30s or if i'm just going to continue to be fat

Future Boy
06-15-2011, 02:25 AM
the article explains that different people do better on the typical Western diet than others for reasons that are not explained by "calories in/calories out". a pound is not a pound, necessarily. understanding the mechanisms behind that can be a useful clue in understanding how to feed ourselves. as a culture we seem to be really into ascribing a moral value to weight, and assume that people are fat because of being weak willed or lazy. Gary Taubes actually uses science to demonstrate why that mentality is factually incorrect besides just being fucked up.

does it go over what you were saying about breakfast because I was curious about that

also selecting print loads it all in one page

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 02:28 AM

I mean I've been trying to get at this for a few pages now. I do think I'm lazy, I don't exercise. I don't think anyone can watch me argue and think I'm weak willed otherwise they may be somewhat retarded. I'm not particularly dedicated or motivated to do things but that has to do with depression.

I know people like Mooney, who seems to be arguing in favor of anorexia and obsessive compulsive behavior, and SS who's just a babbling boston bitch think it's about portion control and they don't believe that I really can't eat that much in one sitting but I know don't overeat. Neither of them has ever actually been fat so I think it's fair to pretty much toss their bullshit out the window.

French gastronome Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin says that he could easily identify the causes of obesity after 30 years of listening to one ''stout party'' after another proclaiming the joys of bread, rice and (from a ''particularly stout party'') potatoes.

Rice, bread, and pasta are eaten for nearly every single meal I ever have and that I was raised not only to believe this is fine but encouraged by my (fat) parents. My (fat) grandfather was a baker so my mom was always into bread and being Irish and Midwestern I guess meant there was almost always potatoes for dinner. I'm honestly sick to fucking death of potatoes so that's one step in the right direction.

More than two-thirds of the fat in a porterhouse steak, for instance, will definitively improve your cholesterol profile (at least in comparison with the baked potato next to it); it's true that the remainder will raise your L.D.L., the bad stuff, but it will also boost your H.D.L. The same is true for lard. If you work out the numbers, you come to the surreal conclusion that you can eat lard straight from the can and conceivably reduce your risk of heart disease.

Hooray!

All of this means I don't have to give up mayo but without bread to put it on I'm not sure how much I could use it.

He does not recommend the Atkins diet because he says he believes such a very low carbohydrate approach is unnecessarily restrictive; instead, he tells his patients to effectively replace refined carbohydrates and starches with vegetables, legumes and fruit.

So what is a good carb and what is a bad carb? Are we talking refined like bread and noodles and unrefined is better like rice and corn (?) and potatoes?

also selecting print loads it all in one page

Goddamn it.

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 02:30 AM
does it go over what you were saying about breakfast because I was curious about that

i think that she meant that the concept that eating a breakfast will make you lose weight was a load of horseshit because obviously you should eat breakfast and it should probably be eggs and fruits and vegetables.

Eating a bagel sandwich with cheese, egg, avocado and mushrooms is not a good breakfast whereas ditching the bagel will make it just fine and dandy.

Man I really eat a fucking lot of sandwiches. Breakfast sandwiches, burgers, subs, hoagies, grinders, I mean fuck almost every meal I eat is situated between bread.

So omelette for breakfast and no bread. Maybe I should make it one carb a day instead of one meat.

and why is chrome spell check so fucking horrible? Seriously if I spell "omelette" why is that misspelled? How come google search performs better as a spell check then the built in spellcheck for a motherfucking google product?!?!??!! MUST BE REAGAN'S FAULT.

Future Boy
06-15-2011, 02:37 AM
hmm, i thought she was calling bullshit on the concept of breakfast boosting metabolism as a benefit

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 02:52 AM
i have to also ask what the latest developments are, this article is so old Atkins is still alive. I mean it's nearly a decade old.

Sonic Johnny
06-15-2011, 03:13 AM
In the spirit of whatever, I just clocked a half an hour on the treadmill at the place where i'm staying. When I get home on Friday i'm going to start jogging before work. Thank god for ipods.

Starla
06-15-2011, 03:25 AM
My plan right now is simple because i don't have a lot of time to deal with it. I eat around 1700 calories a day and walk as much as possible. Low carbs, whole grains, fruit, veg, protein shakes and dark choc. One day out of the week i eat whatever i want, but not go overboard.

mercurial
06-15-2011, 04:04 AM
for me, the hardest thing about sticking to a diet is:
a - i'm very social, and eating with friends is a big part of this
b - i love a beer

no fun in inviting people around for sunday dinner and then serving them lettuce salad and club soda. and i know they look at me with disdain when i order a vodka soda and lime at the pub and sit there hungry while i watch them devour all manners of deliciousness.

mercurial
06-15-2011, 04:07 AM
you come round to mine for dinner on sunday you're getting osso bucco, mash and apple crumble i'll tell you what.

Eulogy
06-15-2011, 06:05 AM
i put in next to zero effort and i don't lose weight

then quit fucking whining.

or put in some effort. your choice. my god.

and as i think natalie pointed out somewhere, people who aren't miserable blobs of dough can still be out of shape and desire to get in shape. you view every fucking thing in the world through the tiny lens of your own personal experiences without allowing any other context to filter any of it. it's fucking obnoxious and you're making the board unreadable.

and your hatred for people who eat like you and aren't fat is idiotic too. i know there are people who eat a ton of food and don't really exercise and don't gain weight, and it's understandable to be jealous. but you lose any sympathy by refusing to exercise and making up all sorts of fucking retarded excuses like having flat feet or whatever. if you don't stop looking at people who aren't fat and hating them for it and instead at least make some fucking effort to do what you can do for yourself to lose weight you're going to be this stupid about this forever.

sppunk
06-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Don't eat in restaurants. That's my biggest problem and I have little ways to avoid it often.

Sucks.

FoolofaTook
06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Every time I eat I try to put down as much as possible. I never exercise, drink constantly, smoke all day long and have always been skinny as fuck.

I hope this brings you all much encouragement.

MyOneAndOnly
06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I injured my back a few years ago. I was working out 12-20 hours per week before that. I've gained 30 lbs since then. I used to look like anorexic billy. Now I look like 2010 tour billy. Not fat, but way way over the weight I was for most of my life.

Since college I ran, hiked and rode a lot. so I was always able to drink and eat pretty much as much as I wanted. Having to watch what I eat sucks.

since I can't ride my bike like I used to I'm going to attempt the P90X program again starting this weekend. I started it once last winter but went at it a little too hard at first and messed up my back again. This time I'm going to cut out one of the weekly prescribed workouts and do some cardio (cycling) along with it.

Last winter I also attempted the high protein diet that comes with the P90x program. It was shit. Horrible. Made me feel like crap. I knew it wasn't good for me, but I wanted to try it anyway. I got about a month into it before I had to go back to a more balanced diet with some carbs.

My wife is a professional athlete. She works with a coach, trainer and nutritionist. They actually give her a fairly easy to follow diet regime. Pretty straight forward stuff.

MyOneAndOnly
06-15-2011, 01:04 PM
for me, the hardest thing about sticking to a diet is:
a - i'm very social, and eating with friends is a big part of this
b - i love a beer

no fun in inviting people around for sunday dinner and then serving them lettuce salad and club soda. and i know they look at me with disdain when i order a vodka soda and lime at the pub and sit there hungry while i watch them devour all manners of deliciousness.

I love beer too. i especially love high calorie craft beer. I love it a lot. Often.

I've found one thing that has helped me to lose weight in the past is to keep a daily food log/diary. If you can get yourself to count calories and you have a daily goal, you can put off those drinks for the days when you want to go out with your friends. Or, another thing I do is add an hour or two of exercise to burn more of that off if I go too far. If you're going out occassionally you shouldn't have to give up having fun.

Starla
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Counting calories is a pain in the ass at first, but then i got to where i know how much is in everything and the portion sizes and i don't really have to count. I take a day off and have what i want which usually helps keep me on track. I also find that having a super high cal day and going back down the rest of the week keeps the metabolism guessing.

pale blue eyes
06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Agreed, a food diary is key. I use an ap on my phone to track everything I eat and what calories I burn at the gym. It also helps somewhat with tracking how I do with vitamins and nutrients. It is not as great with that though because a lot of the time people who input that food do not in<ghghg>clude all of that. Even if you skip a day doing it and eat whatever you like (which I usually do on Saturday) it really does help you get a better idea of just how many calories you eat. Once you start doing it, it is hard not to think twice about eating something because you know just how bad it is for you. Sometimes that little hesitation is enough to get you to make a better choice.

As far as exercising, I have found that keeping track of how you are progressing is a great motivator. I started at the beginning of the year to try to get comfortable running to the point where I could run a 5K again and seeing my progress in my notebook really helped. You can start at any level and as somebody said earlier, check your ego at the door when you go to the gym. To be honest, the sweatier and smellier I am when I leave the gym the better I feel. Everybody is there for the same reason and if you try you will ALWAYS find somebody there in better shape than you are. Just keep at it.

MyOneAndOnly
06-15-2011, 01:39 PM
In the past I've actually used a digital food scale at home. at least at the beginning it can help you get used to calorie counting. Most people under estimate calories.

yo soy el mejor
06-15-2011, 02:11 PM
lots of great tips in here.

yo soy el mejor
06-15-2011, 02:11 PM
SHUT THE FUCK UP CORK SOAKER YOU THIN HANDSOME MOTHERFUCKER

mhmmm

null123
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
hmm, i thought she was calling bullshit on the concept of breakfast boosting metabolism as a benefit

yeah, this is what I meant.

when people say that eating revs the metabolism they are referring to the Thermic Energy of Food - the energy it takes to break down food, but it's proportional to the total amount of calories consumed, not the frequency of meals. say it takes x amount of energy to break down 300 cals of food. eating six 300 calorie meals will use 6x energy, but so will eating two 900 calorie meals. so there is no metabolic benefit to eating breakfast.

there are actually a lot of potential health and psychological benefits to intermittent fasting (eating all food in a 6-8 hour window during the day is one variation). http://www.leangains.com/ talks about this and more about the breakfast/eat 6 small meals/don't eat after 8 pm type myths.

Trotsky, Gary Taubes just released a new book recently and he maintains a blog. he wrote another NYT article about sugar that is fascinating as well. there are definitely other people writing on this subject if you dig.

MyOneAndOnly
06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
my experience with skipping breakfast is that i'm left so hungry in the late morning that I start snacking. Or, I'm so hungry at Lunch that I eat twice as much as I otherwise would have.

yo soy el mejor
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
eat when you're hungry.

Mooney
06-15-2011, 03:30 PM
my experience with skipping breakfast is that i'm left so hungry in the late morning that I start snacking. Or, I'm so hungry at Lunch that I eat twice as much as I otherwise would have.

this is the main argument for eating breakfast from what i've read.

The Jesus
06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I stay healthy by drinking lots of cider.

wHATcOLOR
06-15-2011, 04:49 PM
i thought that when you skip a meal, your body notices and reacts in a way that's counterproductive to losing weight.. it is less certain that it will be getting another meal at a regular interval, and so it hoards the calories from the next meal and they end up creating more fat than they would otherwise..

pale blue eyes
06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Also, going to the gym without eating breakfast will make you feel doubly horribly. I'm not saying go to IHOP or something but I always eat something light like some toast plus fruit or a bowl of cereal (usually around 250-300 calories) an about an hour and a half before and drink water after that until I go to the gym.

null123
06-15-2011, 05:31 PM
i thought that when you skip a meal, your body notices and reacts in a way that's counterproductive to losing weight.. it is less certain that it will be getting another meal at a regular interval, and so it hoards the calories from the next meal and they end up creating more fat than they would otherwise..

a lot of fitness magazines discuss this idea of "starvation mode" in relation to skipping a meal, but it takes 60-80 hours with little to no food for the body to reduce its basal metabolic rate. in fact, experiments in humans have shown skipping meals for periods of a day or two increases the BMR between 3-10%.

Also, going to the gym without eating breakfast will make you feel doubly horribly. I'm not saying go to IHOP or something but I always eat something light like some toast plus fruit or a bowl of cereal (usually around 250-300 calories) an about an hour and a half before and drink water after that until I go to the gym.

this is pretty individual. personally I have no problem.

yo soy el mejor
06-15-2011, 05:37 PM
nothing satisfies more than a cold glass of milk following a workout.

cork_soaker
06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
gross

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Breakfast is necessary because it's essentially just refilling your tank after it goes empty overnight. That's it.

I don't eat breakfast often but when I do I always feel better and have more energy to start with. When I skip it I do not eat twice as much at lunch or anything like that.

Seems like a lot of you people who think you know about nutrition and dieting basically believe in a collection of old wives tales.

yo soy el mejor
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
gross

what's gross about post-workout milk?! :embarass:

Trotskilicious
06-15-2011, 10:09 PM
IT'S SO HOT!!!!

MILK WAS A BAD CHOICE!

exactlythesame
06-15-2011, 10:19 PM
any time i drink anything protein laden after a workout i pretty much throw it up