View Full Version : Billy on yet another pavement tirade

paranoid
11-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Just found out SP is playing with Pavement in Brazil. It's gonna be 1 of those New Orleans type funerals

I say that because they represent the death of the alternative dream, and we follow with the affirmation of life part.
3:51 PM Nov 12th via web

funny how those who pointed the big finger of 'sell out' are the biggest offenders now...yawn. they have no love
3:53 PM Nov 12th via web

by the way, we'll be the band up there playing NEW songs because we have the love xx
4:00 PM Nov 12th via web

hnibos
11-14-2010, 08:27 PM
jealousy is such a sad thing

Eulogy
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
lol

ilikeplanets
11-14-2010, 08:55 PM
The death of the alternative dream?! Is he serious? What, Smashing Pumpkins were purely alternative or something?

duovamp
11-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Billy's such a nigger.

slunken
11-14-2010, 09:01 PM
he' just trying to get some press going

Sonic Johnny
11-14-2010, 09:04 PM
he's failing

samuel redman
11-14-2010, 09:08 PM
and he goes down, down, and he falls down

:(

Dogfighter28
11-14-2010, 09:17 PM
its gonna be 1 of those

stumpycat
11-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Billy, STFU and get over it. Don't act like a bitter old twat.

Ihaguitar
11-15-2010, 01:16 AM
Just found out SP is playing with Pavement in Brazil. It's gonna be 1 of those New Orleans type funerals

I say that because they represent the death of the alternative dream, and we follow with the affirmation of life part.
3:51 PM Nov 12th via web

funny how those who pointed the big finger of 'sell out' are the biggest offenders now...yawn. they have no love
3:53 PM Nov 12th via web

by the way, we'll be the band up there playing NEW songs because we have the love xx
4:00 PM Nov 12th via web

Oh and you do Billy! Ahahahahahahaha BIGGEST HYPOCRITE ON THE FUCKING PLANET!

Cool As Ice Cream
11-15-2010, 02:22 AM
ok. that's enough, james.

Kahlo
11-15-2010, 04:20 AM
There is some comedy gold on the O-board about this:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/board/index.php?showtopic=14132

"Billy, stay above the fray. Nobody gives two craps about Pavement. You shouldn't either."

ping-ping
11-15-2010, 08:09 AM
ok. that's enough, james.

Ahaha!

Kahlo, I think what that stooge on the O-board meant to say was that NO ONE. ANYWHERE. gives a shit about ANY OF THIS. I hope Malkmus is smart enough to keep his mouth shut this time.

Kahlo
11-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Hey ping-ping. Nope the O-boarder is a retard who is no doubt related to Monte. Such clear thinking is not generally associated with his knuckle dragging fanboy behaviour.

RenewRevive
11-15-2010, 10:04 AM
guess it really bugs Billy how Pavement are lauded by the musos. don't go there man, it's negativity!!!

Morlock
11-15-2010, 10:27 AM
In comparison to Billy's posts, just take a look at the sheer negativity you get from Stephen Malkmus:

hello jicks people, as you know 2010 was dedicated to pavement.....what can i say--it was an unbelievable year. so many places so many great moments. so great to hang with my original indie gangsters. It will take months to come to grips with it. Thanks to all of you all who came out to see us--it felt like we never left!!! I wanna thank the crew (MVP Dan MAPP) and boche billions--but most of all my family who supported me as i messed around with guitar tunings and hotel internet for nearly a year.

The message board here has morphed and become a pretty personal place -- . awesome--its yours, I hope you stick around for digital eternity. 0ur future wise--we started recording with beck hansen in the late winter, and plan on getting back into it before the year is over... I dont know when the record will come out or what it will sound like. It is in a protools state of non reality right now. THis is kinda boring to read...........The record will be , uh, Amazing!

oh MIke Clark is touring with Corrine Tucker (sleater-TUff) this fall so check that out if you get a chance.

Pavement wrap up
Loudest fans--Atlanta, Bologna
Best Shows (IMHO LOL <3)--Tokyo 2, Osaka, First Two Central Parks, toronto, PHilly, Brooklyn, Spain, Brisbane, Kc, Chicago (Gehry), Last Brixton, Melbourne 1, Bologna, Denmark, Greek Berkeley.

"good", could have been more electric (imho LOL :))--tokyo festival, glasgow, third london, baltimore, pitchfork, matador, atp,

Setlist writer for whole tour, sports bro--BOb nastanovich
Person who makes fun stuff happen offstage, person to look at if you are bummed on stage--Mark Ibold
Oz nightlife expert, master of the tremolo pedal--Scott Kannberg
Steadiest and best attitude, most improved, fellow deep breeder--Steve West
Best side stage fan--whitty whit whit

time to look forward

perfect jicks forever,d

sm

Morlock
11-15-2010, 10:29 AM
I am so loking forward to his collaboration with Beck. Both Beck's and the Jicks' latest albums were great.

Rider
11-15-2010, 10:57 AM
In comparison to Billy's posts, just take a look at the sheer negativity you get from Stephen Malkmus:

hello jicks people, as you know 2010 was dedicated to pavement.....what can i say--it was an unbelievable year. so many places so many great moments. so great to hang with my original indie gangsters. It will take months to come to grips with it. Thanks to all of you all who came out to see us--it felt like we never left!!! I wanna thank the crew (MVP Dan MAPP) and boche billions--but most of all my family who supported me as i messed around with guitar tunings and hotel internet for nearly a year.

The message board here has morphed and become a pretty personal place -- . awesome--its yours, I hope you stick around for digital eternity. 0ur future wise--we started recording with beck hansen in the late winter, and plan on getting back into it before the year is over... I dont know when the record will come out or what it will sound like. It is in a protools state of non reality right now. THis is kinda boring to read...........The record will be , uh, Amazing!

oh MIke Clark is touring with Corrine Tucker (sleater-TUff) this fall so check that out if you get a chance.

Pavement wrap up
Loudest fans--Atlanta, Bologna
Best Shows (IMHO LOL <3)--Tokyo 2, Osaka, First Two Central Parks, toronto, PHilly, Brooklyn, Spain, Brisbane, Kc, Chicago (Gehry), Last Brixton, Melbourne 1, Bologna, Denmark, Greek Berkeley.

"good", could have been more electric (imho LOL :))--tokyo festival, glasgow, third london, baltimore, pitchfork, matador, atp,

Setlist writer for whole tour, sports bro--BOb nastanovich
Person who makes fun stuff happen offstage, person to look at if you are bummed on stage--Mark Ibold
Oz nightlife expert, master of the tremolo pedal--Scott Kannberg
Steadiest and best attitude, most improved, fellow deep breeder--Steve West
Best side stage fan--whitty whit whit

time to look forward

perfect jicks forever,d

sm

I'm not real a Pavement/Malkmus fan but that post makes me want to be one. Wow appreciation for your fans what a novel concept.

Floppy Nono
11-15-2010, 11:40 AM
this has never really been about pavement, it's always been about pitchfork and the juxtaposed opinions they hold of the two bands. billy is insulting pavement the same way you insult someones girlfriend to get them riled up.

ilikeplanets
11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
And sadly, that shit usually works.

Astur
11-15-2010, 12:31 PM

can anyone illustrate me on what the fuck is the alternative dream

like, playing twister with nirvana for the mtv or something like that

soniclovenoize
11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
this has never really been about pavement, it's always been about pitchfork and the juxtaposed opinions they hold of the two bands. billy is insulting pavement the same way you insult someones girlfriend to get them riled up.

Floppy, no, no.

Slurpee
11-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Good point from the jicks board:
"Can you imagine malkmus touring with a bunch of other guys and calling it pavement"

ilikeplanets
11-15-2010, 01:41 PM
can anyone illustrate me on what the fuck is the alternative dream

like, playing twister with nirvana for the mtv or something like that

I believe it is something about being so unknown and obscure that you never get mentioned in the media or sell a record while asserting that you have the greatest music ever to anyone who will listen and will readily exploit yourself to get your painted face posted on all the "edgy" websites...

Also it's about doing whatever the fuck you want to do without explaining yourself to anyone while at the same time claiming to feel "misunderstood" when nobody can tolerate your prickish behavior.

Basically it's all a bunch of meaningless hypocrisy. :mad:

Rider
11-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Actually The Pavement fight has a very long history:

The lyrics from another single from the album, "Range Life", criticized alternative rock stars The Smashing Pumpkins and the Stone Temple Pilots. Malkmus has insisted over the years that the line is meant to be light-hearted and is sung from the point of view of the aging hippie character in the songólater live versions of the track had the singer substituting "The Spice Girls", "The Counting Crows", or others for "Stone Temple Pilots". In response Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan threatened to drop his band from their slot headlining the 1994 Lollapalooza Festival if Pavement was allowed to play.[15] Corgan and Malkmus would trade barbs through the press for several years afterwards.[16][17]

redbreegull
11-15-2010, 03:31 PM
jealousy is such a sad thing

that would actually be envy, not jealousy.

Eulogy
11-15-2010, 04:06 PM
oh my god you are such a fucking tool

please do try to elucidate what the relevant difference is in his post and why "jealousy" is used incorrectly

The Omega Concern
11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
you grammar policing this time or spell checking? paragraph constructing or testing comprehension? :p

redbreegull
11-15-2010, 06:50 PM
oh my god you are such a fucking tool

please do try to elucidate what the relevant difference is in his post and why "jealousy" is used incorrectly

it makes no difference

Shallowed
11-15-2010, 07:19 PM

The lyrics from another single from the album, "Range Life", criticized alternative rock stars The Smashing Pumpkins and the Stone Temple Pilots. Malkmus has insisted over the years that the line is meant to be light-hearted and is sung from the point of view of the aging hippie character in the songólater live versions of the track had the singer substituting "The Spice Girls", "The Counting Crows", or others for "Stone Temple Pilots". In response Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan threatened to drop his band from their slot headlining the 1994 Lollapalooza Festival if Pavement was allowed to play.[15] Corgan and Malkmus would trade barbs through the press for several years afterwards.[16][17]

Way to be the bigger man, Billy. :erm:

Rider
11-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Way to be the bigger man, Billy. :erm:

When you look back on it the man was always a bitchy little cry baby, We just over looked it back then.

Floppy Nono
11-15-2010, 07:45 PM

The lyrics from another single from the album, "Range Life", criticized alternative rock stars The Smashing Pumpkins and the Stone Temple Pilots. Malkmus has insisted over the years that the line is meant to be light-hearted and is sung from the point of view of the aging hippie character in the song—later live versions of the track had the singer substituting "The Spice Girls", "The Counting Crows", or others for "Stone Temple Pilots". In response Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan threatened to drop his band from their slot headlining the 1994 Lollapalooza Festival if Pavement was allowed to play.[15] Corgan and Malkmus would trade barbs through the press for several years afterwards.[16][17]

i am well aware of the pavement/sp "fight" and agree it makes sense he would target them but i can assure you in this instance when he wrote those tweets he was thinking more of the "bearded hipster bloggers" who praise them for the actions than the actions themselves.

if you look back on his tweets he has been taking more and more swipes at indie bloggers who he probably believes have formed some kind of cartel to look down on him and assure his critical destruction.

redbull
11-15-2010, 08:01 PM
i think billy has done more for his critical destruction (via responses) than any blogger ever could

Floppy Nono
11-15-2010, 08:28 PM
you try telling that to samuel aquarian

slunken
11-15-2010, 08:56 PM
i could really give a fuck

paranoid
11-15-2010, 09:02 PM
well p4k has picked up on it now and many tweets in the tweetsphere is calling billy a bald pussy boy, douche bad, asshole, etc etc.

say whatever you want, but he's invited this negativity upon himself. same old song same old dance that it's been over the past 5 or so years. positive and happy my ass.

fluxequalsrad
11-15-2010, 11:11 PM
lol. pavement reunion was greatest thing ever - flawless. class act. i saw malkmus take a full cup of beer right in the face two songs into their set at osheaga festival in montreal. he shrugged it off, dryed himself off and kept going. even playing for a crowd full of people solely attending this fest for arcade fire, they still pulled through for their fans in top form.

billy bitches and complains about mercury poisoning -wtf?

and the fact that he is tweeting about the ol' pavement feud is pathetic.

if its worth anything, when i saw pavement the smashing pumpkins diss was sang as-is on record.

ilikeplanets
11-15-2010, 11:14 PM
lol "Plastic bottles!! Oh the horror!!!"

fluxequalsrad
11-15-2010, 11:23 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRT9COf0jpo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRT9COf0jpo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

pretty dece shot.

imagine the lecture billy would give the crowd if this happened to him now.

redbull
11-15-2010, 11:37 PM
well p4k has picked up on it now and many tweets in the tweetsphere is calling billy a bald pussy boy, douche bad, asshole, etc etc.

say whatever you want, but he's invited this negativity upon himself. same old song same old dance that it's been over the past 5 or so years. positive and happy my ass.

del

Shallowed
11-15-2010, 11:50 PM
pretty dece shot.

I lol'd. That was a sweet non-reaction.

After seeing that I feel it's an apt symbol of all the griping Billy has made towards the band.

paranoid
11-16-2010, 12:11 AM
waddya say there redbull?

redbull
11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
i was asking where it was on p4k but i found it

paranoid
11-16-2010, 12:17 AM
oh yeah. just go to hipsters united, they've been waiting for months for p4k to give billy some attention. they're having a ball with it.

Luke de Spa
11-16-2010, 12:27 AM
who

Luke de Spa
frigging

Luke de Spa
cares

Cool As Ice Cream
11-16-2010, 02:29 AM
I want to be quite candid here and say some things I don't think I've ever shared. For many years I've been really unhappy with the stupidity of the music business (that's no secret!). But now I am free from corporate meddling. No contracts, no deadlines to meet, nothing but rainbows ha ha... My wish is that from this day forward this group will represent nothing but love and light. If you see BC out there griping, it is only because I have failed to set the proper conditions to be in the love and light with you.

SP will be about peace from this day forward as well. The music WILL also reflect this shift in devotion and humble gratitude. You shall see!

Shallowed
11-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Looks like you're calling out Billy for not being in the light and the love with you.

slunken
11-16-2010, 02:59 AM
No deadlines to meet

Gee u got us there

flavin
11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
pretty dece shot.

Nah, Billy would have fainted and then gotten back up like nothing had happened.

aztec litany service
11-16-2010, 05:56 PM
it sucks that they can't get along [read: billy has to be a jerk for no apparent reason]. would be awesome if they did a tour together and bc could come on to sing the 'i could really give a fuck' line, hehe.

but alas it's just another case of silly corgan strikes again

Morlock
11-25-2010, 11:21 AM
You can check out some concert footage on YouTube. The first three Pumpkins songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9yk_enqTpM

For comparison, Pavement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwcdkYtX_4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs3dNQsaBxI

Morlock
11-25-2010, 11:23 AM
I can't get over Billy's singing. It sounds so tired.

EyesOfAJackal
11-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I can't get over Billy's singing. It sounds so tired.

Pretty anemic sounding, I think he's pissed, he looks away and shakes his head a few times. The worst is when he's standing there with his hands on his hips barely signing, then scratches his face slowly... lol

EyesOfAJackal
11-25-2010, 12:44 PM
At least D'arcy6 is pretty hot

Forgotten Child
11-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I was there and Pavement sucked hard! It was so sad, they sounded like a cover band playing in a garage... without "fun".

Pumpkins was a big win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhHIyNnGi4

slunken
11-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Blink 182 is a pretty "fun" band I hear