View Full Version : Happy 15th Birthday, Mellon Collie.

Ball Sack Face
10-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Tomorrow, October 24th, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness turns 15 years old. Fittingly, this is the age at which many Pumpkins fans allowed Billy to express their innermost feelings.

So which songs have aged well? And which ones are ridiculous? If you're as old as I, it's weird to think that this is the equivalent of Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" coming out 15 years before your freshman year of college. In 2001 I thought Jovi was old as shit and washed up... so who knows what today's kiddos think of Bolly and the crew?

Rider
10-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Damn I can remember exactly what I was doing the day it came out.

soniclovenoize
10-23-2010, 08:01 AM
The night before: Wow! The Smashing Pumpkins are playing a show and it's gonna be on the radio! A better get home and tape it!

Ihaguitar
10-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Damn I can remember exactly what I was doing the day it came out.

Me too, I bought it. Took it home and was slightly disappointed.

ilikeplanets
10-23-2010, 02:27 PM
DEATH IS NEAR.....things are happening so fast :eek:

vbshlofbvgos
10-23-2010, 03:02 PM
i was a senior in high school. holy shit

EyesOfAJackal
10-23-2010, 10:19 PM
So which songs have aged well? And which ones are ridiculous?

I like the question, but I'm wondering if it's hard to tell for long-term fans- isn't part of the enjoyment going back to those places where you previously enjoyed the song?

soniclovenoize
10-23-2010, 10:33 PM
I like the question, but I'm wondering if it's hard to tell for long-term fans- isn't part of the enjoyment going back to those places where you previously enjoyed the song?

Oh yeah because high school was fucking great.

slunken
10-23-2010, 11:10 PM

It's better than trying to relate to the songs decades after they were released. Being in 1995 when the album was released is just as important as the album being released in 1995.

Which is why I don't think anyones favorite band should be a band that doesn't exist anymore. Oh your favorite band is The Beatles? Good luck with that. Have fun pretending to relate.

EyesOfAJackal
10-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Oh yeah because high school was fucking great.

Not so much that high school was great, but that finding something you connected with was

It's better than trying to relate to the songs decades after they were released. Being in 1995 when the album was released is just as important as the album being released in 1995.

Which is why I don't think anyones favorite band should be a band that doesn't exist anymore. Oh your favorite band is The Beatles? Good luck with that. Have fun pretending to relate.

Interesting point. I can like a trippy Beatles song but I'll never understand the whole mind-expanding novelty of the late '60's. The jaded 90's bit is another story.

I got into the Pumpkins after their prime (really Machina was when it started for me, when I was just starting high school, although I had heard some SD/MCIS before) but I was growing up during that time period, and MCIS really hit me in college for whatever reason. I'm not sure if that makes me immature or just means I was busting out of my sheltered middle school experience finally

Ihaguitar
10-24-2010, 02:33 AM

Well, if you grew up with them I'm sure you could relate.

DeathCubeK
10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Pffft, the first song i heard was Zero and i was freaked about the riff, great one, bitch.

ilikeplanets
10-24-2010, 08:05 PM
X.Y.U.....Here Is No Why.......Porcelina..........Ruby.........even Zero and 1979 still kick ass!!

redbreegull
10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I was five when this album was released. My dad bought it for rat in a cage:billy::jimmy:

stumpycat
10-25-2010, 03:35 AM

Maybe I am taking this the wrong way, but there is nothing in the content of MCIS that ties it to 1995 in particular for me. It's tied to a particular period in my life when I was first gaining a taste for rock music and having a great time indulging in various hobbies but not the year itself. There has also been music from my parents' generation that has gained some type of significant connection within my life. I can listen to music from the mid/late 60's and it still resonates decades later.

ilikeplanets
10-25-2010, 04:22 AM
Well yeah...it's basic existentialism. The year is irrelevant...but the music lives because it matters to someone.

slunken
10-25-2010, 05:44 PM
no music is THAT timeless. you are missing out on nuances you will never be aware of. like cultural context.

Spira|_
10-25-2010, 06:00 PM
1979 could be released now and would be truly updated, no? Heh

soniclovenoize
10-25-2010, 07:08 PM
I remember, our local alt-rock station back then played Mellon Collie in it's entirety like a month before it was released, at like 2am--the DJ nearly got fired over it--and I sat up all night waiting for it and taped it on my shitty cassette deck. I remember even printing a tracklist from Listessa so I knew the song titles as they were played.

So I was all like "I have the new Smashing Pumpkins album! Yeah, it's really good. You'll really like this one song called 'Zero'..." Thru The Eyes of Ruby like blew me the fuck away.

slunken
10-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Tripping in my mind.

I don't wanna make a new thread but does anyone know off-hand what the date is for the Eyes of Ruby acoustic performance that appears on SP Radio - Collapsing Cities? It's not the Triple J show, surely?

jammin
10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
^^clearly doesn't 'get it.'

mcis is one of the few albums from the 90's that has aged well, but that terrible iha track seems even more terrible then it ever did and that good-night nonsense that's clearly a beatles concept rip-off if there ever was one can fuck off.

redbull
10-25-2010, 08:21 PM
I was five when this album was released. My dad bought it for rat in a cage:billy::jimmy:

ditto, but it was the babysitter

redbull
10-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Tripping in my mind.

I don't wanna make a new thread but does anyone know off-hand what the date is for the Eyes of Ruby acoustic performance that appears on SP Radio - Collapsing Cities? It's not the Triple J show, surely?

Tsp1996-05-03 - SPLRA (http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp1996-05-03)

slunken
10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
^^clearly doesn't 'get it.'

stop living in the past

slunken
10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
thanks rhinowing

RenewRevive
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
good music is and always will be good music. happy birthday mcis.

slunken
10-25-2010, 09:04 PM
i'm not talking about good music. i'm talking about the cultural context of any music within it's recording date. god you're all so short-sighted.

slunken
10-25-2010, 09:07 PM
oh i get it - renew/revive

stumpycat
10-25-2010, 11:11 PM
i'm not talking about good music. i'm talking about the cultural context of any music within it's recording date. god you're all so short-sighted.
What, exactly, was the cultural context of MCIS that influenced its sound and/or message in a relevant way? I can actually see more cultural context for Siamese Dream or Adore than I can for MCIS.

slunken
10-25-2010, 11:58 PM
so you're arguing that mcis could have come out in the 1890's then? or 2090 for that matter? and we would be none the wiser?

u must be joking.

vbshlofbvgos
10-26-2010, 01:06 AM
i think its true that you can't fully appreciate mcis if you didn't listen to it when it came out and you can't understand the context of it within all the other music that was released at that time but i don't have a problem if people still dig it for what it is/was

RenewRevive
10-26-2010, 08:27 AM
guess all these opera fans are missing out on cultural relevance too. who knew?

slunken
10-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Well an opera like Figaro (which was written as a satire of the current political climate of the day) certainly doesn't hold as much water now as it did back then. It was banned when it came out.

Ball Sack Face
10-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Well an opera like Figaro (which was written as a satire of the current political climate of the day) certainly doesn't hold as much water now as it did back then. It was banned when it came out.

if only they would ban TGBK

Trotskilicious
10-26-2010, 01:28 PM
the album really hasn't aged well at all

Trotskilicious
10-26-2010, 01:30 PM

wow this is preternaturally stupid

Trotskilicious
10-26-2010, 01:31 PM

what about the cultural context at any time at all

and besides you're a huge Bergman fag, so you're being a huge hypocrite.

and for the record, I heard BWBW on the radio my freshman year of high school so I am a "genuine" fan or whatever it is you're arguing but it really doesn't matter to me much since I like Zep and Pixies so you're pissing me off.

slunken
10-26-2010, 01:36 PM
trots you're really screwing up my troll here you big wet blanket

Trotskilicious
10-26-2010, 04:09 PM
hahaha

Funky_Gibbon
10-29-2010, 03:24 PM
MCIS got me into the Pumpkins. They received almost no radio play/MTV time in my country until MCIS came out. 1979 got a brief spell that passed me. Same with Zero and BWBW (damn the radio station in my country suck balls). Then Tonight, Tonight was released and flooded MTV because of the great video. I remember liking the song but getting annoyed at it being played every 5 minutes ;)

Fortunately that song made me interested enough to flip channels on TV over to a Smashing Pumpkins Rockumentary they had on one evening. I tuned in right in the middle of a live gig recording of Zero. I'd never seen or heard anything like it, I was blown away. The next day I went out and bought MCIS. Two days later I bought the rest of the back catalogue.

I've been boring people to death about how great SP are/were ever since. :rofl:

SlingeroGuitaro
10-29-2010, 03:32 PM
MCIS is more of a 96 record than a 95. it was SO ahead of its time.

Pheeew
10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Tsp1996-05-03 - SPLRA (http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp1996-05-03)

Gotta love those wrong notes from D'arcy. It's too bad we don't have that anymore.