View Full Version : When did you stop loving Smashing Pumpkins?

MonteLDS
10-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Lets see

redbreegull
10-15-2010, 07:42 PM
I will never stop loving them even if Billy Corgan makes bad music until he dies

I have always hated you though

jammin
10-15-2010, 07:47 PM
i picked 2007 - assuming that's when he decided to reassemble "the pumpkins" with new members and starting putting out terrible music ala zeitgeist.

but they used to be my absolute favorite. i rejoined this forum when I found a bunch of my old posters and shit. i have a flag, even. . .oh god!

Eulogy
10-15-2010, 07:47 PM
shut up monte

vbshlofbvgos
10-15-2010, 07:50 PM

lambert
10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Picked Dec 2003 but it's probably closer to sometime between the end of the Zwan period and the solo album. Still refer to them as my favorite band, just can't say I love them like I did in my youth.

soniclovenoize
10-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I was listening to the 4/17/99 show last night, and it occured to me: this was the last time this band was great, The Arising Tour. It went downhill after that.

killtrocity
10-15-2010, 09:27 PM
nice false dilemma monte you asshole

ilikeplanets
10-15-2010, 09:56 PM
what.

redbull
10-15-2010, 10:08 PM
sometime around november 2008

Ball Sack Face
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
never stopped loving the pumpkins through december 2000. still love them today.

but i started hating billy with the zwan breakup. even if he was right, something felt wrong

aztec litany service
10-15-2010, 10:51 PM
i'll prolly never stop. maybe i should but it's not always up to you.

paranoid
10-15-2010, 11:53 PM
fucking a monte, get it right. a big, significant choice that is missing here is jimmy leaving in 2009 and billy continuing with a shit drummer.

and that's my answer. a lot of the 2007 material was lame, but i was really digging the 20th anniversary material. then jimmy quit. it's all been shit from that point on.

cardiac
10-16-2010, 01:30 AM
fucking a monte, get it right. a big, significant choice that is missing here is jimmy leaving in 2009 and billy continuing with a shit drummer.

This would be my choice as well. Mikey seems like a swell enough guy, but once you step over that line and fully turn SP into "Billy & a revolving door of hired hands"...

The music is simply nowhere near as good as it was during the original run of the band. Its hard to get exited over "Spangled" and "Widow Wake My Mind" as opposed to, say, For Martha.

Also, a great beef for me personally is the steep decline in Billy's lyrical output. I'll maintain a moderate interest from now on, but I wouldn't call it 'loving the band'. Not anymore.

Kahlo
10-16-2010, 02:58 AM
I will always love Smashing Pumpkins - what is on stage today however is not Smashing Pumpkins. Also fuck you Monte.

Morlock
10-16-2010, 03:17 AM
I will always love the Pumpkins as they were until 2000. I liked, but did not love, the early Zeitgeist-era Pumpkins. I definitely stopped liking them in the last 12 months.

Caine Walker
10-16-2010, 03:19 AM
I will always love Smashing Pumpkins - what is on stage today however is not Smashing Pumpkins. Also fuck you Monte.

i'm gonna go with this.

MonteLDS
10-16-2010, 11:36 AM
what is on stage today however is not Smashing Pumpkins.

You got to learn to except that it is Billy Corgan band- Don't get stuck in the past

sppunk
10-16-2010, 11:49 AM
When the Arising! tour ended.

jczeroman
10-16-2010, 11:51 AM
It's not because D'arcy left the band, but it was around then that I just found that I was no longer enthralled by the band.

Eulogy
10-16-2010, 12:09 PM
You got to learn to except that it is. This is Billy Corgan band- Don't get stuck in the past

You were doing so well too!

Astur
10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
You got to learn to except that you are one huge oligophrenic, Motney

MonteLDS
10-16-2010, 01:57 PM
You got to learn to except that you are one huge oligophrenic, Motney

and yet you are the one who adds y's to names that don't have y's in them

Dogfighter28
10-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Okay yeah he's definitely trolling

Eulogy
10-16-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm trying to figure out how long it's taking Monte to look up every word he types in a dictionary.

Eulogy
10-16-2010, 02:07 PM
You might want to read the definitions too though, bro.

Spira|_
10-16-2010, 03:25 PM
I've always loved the band always will.
The difference is since 2007 I dont say it anymore to anyone.

yoshinobu's revenge
10-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I was quite excited when the comeback was announced in 2007, but Billy's persona, behavior, attitude, etc. have made it impossible to like the current band anywhere near as much as the band up to 2000. On the flipside, Billy's musical abilities have also made it impossible for me to ever dismiss them or never give them another chance.

Jimmy's leaving really took the last ounce of authenticity from the band, as it is pretty much just BC + "friendz" now.

Trotskilicious
10-16-2010, 04:25 PM
hahaha you guys really need to just except it.

Ihaguitar
10-16-2010, 04:47 PM
hahaha you guys really need to just except it.

:)

runnersdialzero
10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
hate is such a strong word

Esty
10-16-2010, 07:52 PM

Mark it down. Today, I fully agree with Kahlo. Also, fuck you Kahlo you usless fuck.

Trotskilicious
10-17-2010, 06:50 AM
oh who cares at this point

Cool As Ice Cream
10-17-2010, 07:08 AM
fuck you, monty.

hope u die. peace.

Cool As Ice Cream
10-17-2010, 07:08 AM
or was it "piece"?

cork_soaker
10-17-2010, 08:04 AM
die in peace

cork_soaker
10-17-2010, 08:04 AM
die in pieces?

Astur
10-17-2010, 08:08 AM
peice

Rider
10-17-2010, 08:41 AM
When you made this thread. You happy now Monte.

ilikeplanets
10-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Other. Please Specify. Lolll someone please do this :D

antiskum
10-17-2010, 11:45 PM
tbh i'll always love them. for their past music.

can't fucking stand the new music, but if on the occasion he puts out a good song (eg stellar) i'll enjoy it.

redbull
10-18-2010, 12:40 AM
joy division is pretty awesome

megalomano
10-18-2010, 12:59 AM
I dont hate the Smashing Pumpkins, on the other hand Zwan...

antiskum
10-18-2010, 04:21 AM
joy division is pretty awesome

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T_JachDW9ag/TJ6xn9YbvfI/AAAAAAAAKHk/SSTfjAtOcmc/s800/joy_divorce.jpg

mickyshambles
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
fuck you, monte. and fuck your piece of shit poll.

DaveKShape
10-18-2010, 06:43 PM
i think jimmy leaving (or "getting fired" according to the egomaniac) pretty much sealed the deal. it was still weird to see the 2007 shows with two stand-ins, but the jimmy/billy dynamic still kept it all together. no jimmy, no SP.

Corganist
10-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Always loved them, still do. Don't see why I ever wouldn't, but I still can't say "always will."

soniclovenoize
10-18-2010, 07:53 PM
I've always loved the band always will
lol @ antiskum, AveryLoren, aztec litany service, busty sinclaire, CrabbMan, Crystal_Chrome, djm5101, Esty, eyeboogers, flspnut, Future Boy, greg w/peg leg, JUnderscore, Kahlo, killtrocity, MonteLDS, Panthalassa, pepper666, RenewRevive, samuel redman, Slurpee, SpFission, Spira|_, Springbridge

samuel redman
10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
seriously, where is the Mike Byrne option

vbshlofbvgos
10-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Always loved them, still do. Don't see why I ever wouldn't, but I still can't say "always will."

oh you know you can

antiskum
10-18-2010, 11:20 PM
lol @ antiskum, AveryLoren, aztec litany service, busty sinclaire, CrabbMan, Crystal_Chrome, djm5101, Esty, eyeboogers, flspnut, Future Boy, greg w/peg leg, JUnderscore, Kahlo, killtrocity, MonteLDS, Panthalassa, pepper666, RenewRevive, samuel redman, Slurpee, SpFission, Spira|_, Springbridge

haha.

no but seriously, if only for the nostalgia factor. loved the band for years
and sure the dude's fucking lost his mind and systematically destroying his legacy, but i'll just ignore it. the old songs are still there, and i still dig em'.

redbreegull
10-18-2010, 11:31 PM
haha.

no but seriously, if only for the nostalgia factor. loved the band for years
and sure the dude's fucking lost his mind and systematically destroying his legacy, but i'll just ignore it. the old songs are still there, and i still dig em'.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to antiskum again.

Kahlo
10-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Wow. Hackers so intelligent that you can simply get rid of them by adding them to your ignore list.

tim2nyy
10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
When Jimmy was fired.

rudi
10-19-2010, 11:50 PM
When Jimmy left. Should be a poll option.

Who is Monte anyway and why do people hate him (other than the fact that he's Mormon)

stumpycat
10-20-2010, 12:55 AM
When Jimmy left. Should be a poll option.

Who is Monte anyway and why do people hate him (other than the fact that he's Mormon)
Johnathan Monte is a guy in his late 20's from the Bay Area region of California who has been on this board since his teens and has always been the resident nerdy AV geek. He also has his own IT business which apparently affords him the time and financial ability to travel cross country for multiple SP shows as he wishes, taking a small arsenal of high-end AV and communications equipment with him. Amongst some of his activities involve taping shows in HD, burning them onto DVDs, and distributing them to fans, as well as texting live updates of setlists and soundchecks. He is known for tracking Corgan down for interviews at public appearances and attending shows in attire which appears somewhat conspicuous and/or overly formal for the occasion. There was little evidence that Monte had a social life (or indeed even experienced sexual attraction towards women) until his recent marriage. Monte also appears to exhibit several Aspergers-like qualities, as he seems to have a fairly narrow range of interests, at least one of which has demanded a disproportionate deal of time and resources , is a "completest" collector (meaning he'll buy something just to have it, not because he has any emotional investment in it,) seems to relate better to objects than people, lacks social tact, and is a bit overly literal in his comprehension as well as affect. His written communications are also often grammatically convoluted, ignoring or corrupting many conventions of the English language and terminology. His relationship to Mormonism appears to be somewhat dogmatic in nature, and he was a known supporter of the push for Proposition 8 in California.

Monet LSD
10-20-2010, 01:28 AM
:rofl:

RenewRevive
10-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Johnathan Monte is a guy in his late 20's from the Bay Area region of California who has been on this board since his teens and has always been the resident nerdy AV geek. He also has his own IT business which apparently affords him the time and financial ability to travel cross country for multiple SP shows as he wishes, taking a small arsenal of high-end AV and communications equipment with him. Amongst some of his activities involve taping shows in HD, burning them onto DVDs, and distributing them to fans, as well as texting live updates of setlists and soundchecks. He is known for tracking Corgan down for interviews at public appearances and attending shows in attire which appears somewhat conspicuous and/or overly formal for the occasion. There was little evidence that Monte had a social life (or indeed even experienced sexual attraction towards women) until his recent marriage. Monte also appears to exhibit several Aspergers-like qualities, as he seems to have a fairly narrow range of interests, at least one of which has demanded a disproportionate deal of time and resources , is a "completest" collector (meaning he'll buy something just to have it, not because he has any emotional investment in it,) seems to relate better to objects than people, lacks social tact, and is a bit overly literal in his comprehension as well as affect. His written communications are also often grammatically convoluted, ignoring or corrupting many conventions of the English language and terminology. His relationship to Mormonism appears to be somewhat dogmatic in nature, and he was a known supporter of the push for Proposition 8 in California.

i didn't know Monte had a wikipedia entry.

greg w/peg leg
10-20-2010, 03:27 PM
never, I guess. I still think Billy's still very prolific musician and the most original songwriter of our times, even if he's somehow lost in some areas of his weird life. It does have some impact on music, but (that's a fact, you just won't admit it) if you were to listen to all post-zwan pumpkins songs in 1999 without being told that Billy's the only representative of the original lineup and without knowing all strange background stories, all of you would have claimed it's brilliant music. There, I've said it, now flame me.

stumpycat
10-20-2010, 09:11 PM
never, I guess. I still think Billy's still very prolific musician and the most original songwriter of our times, even if he's somehow lost in some areas of his weird life. It does have some impact on music, but (that's a fact, you just won't admit it) if you were to listen to all post-zwan pumpkins songs in 1999 without being told that Billy's the only representative of the original lineup and without knowing all strange background stories, all of you would have claimed it's brilliant music. There, I've said it, now flame me.

Erm...no, not really. There were songs I didn't like in 2000 that I still don't like. And then there are the songs that I have always liked. It's just that after MCIS, the number of songs per release which I don't care for has been steadily increasing.

Jesus Cambodia
10-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I still get the same feeling I used to get 15 years ago, just not as much. Losing Jimmy was a huge blow for me. Typically every song they record anymore gets ruined in the studio. But that recent french library solo performance was really good. So yeah, Billy is still a great songwriter/performer, he just got rid of anyone else who can contribute to the music or recordings.

sh sh shayne
10-20-2010, 10:38 PM
The night of the abortion 20th ann show in la. Never did i not want to go a show i paid for so bad, as i did night 2. Hearing billy beg and plead to not give up on him was a wake up call that he's lost it and needs to fade away.