View Full Version : Local news segment featuring Mike Byrne

SirenWren
10-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Smashing Pumpkins drummer's overnight rise | KING 5 TV | Seattle News (http://www.king5.com/on-tv/evening-magazine/Smashing-Pumpkins-Drummer-104736559.html)

<object height="288" width="470"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.king5.com/v/?i=104736559" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.king5.com/v/?i=104736559" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="288" wmode="transparent" width="470"></embed></object>

Rider
10-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Calling this a local news segment is over statement, this a step above public access.

Rider
10-12-2010, 11:35 PM
They interviewed him in his parents basement.

wHATcOLOR
10-12-2010, 11:54 PM
haha, his parents had to listen to the smashing pumpkins!! suckas!!!!

slunken
10-13-2010, 12:58 AM
here's hoping he really adopts that bandana as part of his persona.

paranoid
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
seems like he'll be content with whatever low ass pay billy has been paying him for the rest of his career in SP, which was likely a huge factor in his hiring. I imagine he makes approx. $100-$150 per gig, if that, which at his young age seems like a shit load of money. More than an minimum wage McDonalds gig anyway.

Also, anyone can get into Berklee College of Music. Show a willingness to go into approx. 100k in debt for a degree in drums/guitar/whatever and they'll except you. That school is swarming with no talents. If he made his way into NEC, that'd be a different story. He's your average run of the mill small town drummer who got lucky because Corgan is desperate for PR like this. Also, I can only imagine how terrible the 999 other drummers were if he were truly the best of the batch.

Astur
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
seems like he'll be content with whatever low ass pay billy has been paying him for the rest of his career in SP, which was likely a huge factor in his hiring. I imagine he makes approx. $100-$150 per gig, if that, which at his young age seems like a shit load of money. More than an minimum wage McDonalds gig anyway.

Also, anyone can get into Berklee College of Music. Show a willingness to go into approx. 100k in debt for a degree in drums/guitar/whatever and they'll except you. That school is swarming with no talents. If he made his way into NEC, that'd be a different story. He's your average run of the mill small town drummer who got lucky because Corgan is desperate for PR like this. Also, I can only imagine how terrible the 999 other drummers were if he were truly the best of the batch.

That was truly devastating. Here's hope for him to read it lol

soniclovenoize
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Oh my word!

DaveKShape
10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
don't get too comfortable, mike.

samuel redman
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
i can't wait until Bill fires mike

samuel redman
10-13-2010, 01:06 PM
god he as an arrogant, generic little shit

Gish08
10-13-2010, 03:37 PM
i can't wait until Bill fires mike
For the first time I'll be glad he shitcanned someone

WoahtotheHorse
10-13-2010, 05:14 PM
The kid's not that bad, folks. Sure, no Jimmy. But he's doing pretty well for a 20 yr old. And he'll only get better.

"The press call describe him as 'cherubic'."

Gives a whole new meaning to Cherub Rock.

WoahtotheHorse
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
god he as an arrogant, generic little shit

He certainly wasn't arrogant in this video. Still says "it's a dream" all the time rather than "I belong here".

Or perhaps he's been arrogant to you personally? Have you ever met the kid? I thought he was a doll.

Rider
10-13-2010, 05:37 PM
He certainly wasn't arrogant in this video. Still says "it's a dream" all the time rather than "I belong here".

Or perhaps he's been arrogant to you personally? Have you ever met the kid? I thought he was a doll.

Are you proud your is doing interviews in your basement?

AndySlash
10-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Give a whole new meaning to Cherub Rock.

no it doesn't

redbull
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM

we know John Dolmayan auditioned, so we can clearly say that Byrne was not the best of the bunch

duovamp
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
here's hoping he really adopts that bandana as part of his persona.

I hope he makes the full transition to being Joe "Mama" Besser.

WoahtotheHorse
10-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Are you proud your is doing interviews in your basement?

I don't understand this sentence...

samuel redman
10-13-2010, 06:43 PM
The kid's not that bad, folks. Sure, no Jimmy. But he's doing pretty well for a 20 yr old. And he'll only get better.

Gives a whole new meaning to Cherub Rock.

he didn't bother to thank or mention Jimmy for the work he's ripping off

aomb1979
10-13-2010, 06:45 PM
we know John Dolmayan auditioned, so we can clearly say that Byrne was not the best of the bunch

That guy sucks

ilikeplanets
10-13-2010, 06:54 PM
he didn't bother to thank or mention Jimmy for the work he's ripping off
lol what an asshole!

He looks quite out of place..

stripes
10-13-2010, 08:15 PM
jimmy left sp?

stripes
10-13-2010, 08:15 PM
again?

redbull
10-13-2010, 08:16 PM
That guy sucks

he's no Mike Byrne

The Omega Concern
10-13-2010, 08:52 PM
My friend talked to Byrne after the Petaluma show and said he was a nice enough guy. He asked a few pointed questions to suss him out in a real subtle way...stuff about rehearsals with Billy and scheduling and what-not...and then he asked him

what was his favorite song he liked to play on this tour...

it was one of the new songs but the thing my buddy noticed was Mike mentioned he'd never been asked that before. You gotta know my friend and how he asked, like, fuck billy, what do you enjoy playing the most on the setlist?

I haven't heard much of the new stuff...I do like As Rome Burns and thought this new band with Billy as the Pumpkins was musically more comfortable with the new songs as opposed to some of the old standards. It's not bad, but, I felt a nuance missing without the original lineup, whom I saw Umpteen times back in the day.

It took Walker and Corgan some time to sync in a unique Pumpkin manner...It could happen here...I would say the awkwardly charged BPM's that Matt Walker first employed early on in his stint is a phase Byrne never went through. He's good with some upside on his chops, hope it works out.

paranoid
10-13-2010, 09:11 PM
he's been playing, writing, recording and performing with corgan for well over a year now, and he still sucks. it's not going to work out.

Rider
10-14-2010, 12:10 AM
My friend talked to Byrne after the Petaluma show and said he was a nice enough guy. He asked a few pointed questions to suss him out in a real subtle way...stuff about rehearsals with Billy and scheduling and what-not...and then he asked him

it was one of the new songs but the thing my buddy noticed was Mike mentioned he'd never been asked that before. You gotta know my friend and how he asked, like, fuck billy, what do you enjoy playing the most on the setlist?

I haven't heard much of the new stuff...I do like As Rome Burns and thought this new band with Billy as the Pumpkins was musically more comfortable with the new songs as opposed to some of the old standards. It's not bad, but, I felt a nuance missing without the original lineup, whom I saw Umpteen times back in the day.

It took Walker and Corgan some time to sync in a unique Pumpkin manner...It could happen here...I would say the awkwardly charged BPM's that Matt Walker first employed early on in his stint is a phase Byrne never went through. He's good with some upside on his chops, hope it works out.

There is just something painfully awkward about the kids drumming that's not going away. I'm not surprised to hear he rushed through lessons. It's no going away it's not improving if anything it's getting worse.

iPumpkin
10-14-2010, 04:17 AM

I asked him the same question in Charleston. He replied "United Stated right now"

Eulogy
10-14-2010, 07:36 AM
He seems friendly enough. He also seems 17.

I do wonder how much he makes though. I bet Billy fucks him over.

samuel redman
10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
as Billy should

Rider
10-14-2010, 05:15 PM
He seems friendly enough. He also seems 17.

I do wonder how much he makes though. I bet Billy fucks him over.

He fucked over everyone in Zwan so I'm sure this kid is getting next to nothing.

Eulogy
10-14-2010, 07:22 PM
That's too bad. I mean, what happens when Billy has his next tantrum and blows up the band? I mean I guess he'll be a semi-famous drummer, but I just doubt a 20-year-old would be able to immediately find lucrative work.

Rider
10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
That's too bad. I mean, what happens when Billy has his next tantrum and blows up the band? I mean I guess he'll be a semi-famous drummer, but I just doubt a 20-year-old would be able to immediately find lucrative work.

3 years from even people on this forum won't be able to name him. He'll go back to college hopefully and have a cool story.

paranoid
10-15-2010, 11:29 AM

His mother said 'I was afraid he'd be 30 living in our basement..' well ma.. you're dream will still be a reality!!

samuel redman
10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
that basement could really use some mike byrne right now, the poor thing