View Full Version : New Corgan interview, talks a bit more about Jimmy

paranoid
09-23-2010, 04:52 PM
The Pumpkins, peeled (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/...0923-15oeo.html)

AN OUTSIDER could feasibly argue there is something inherently tragic about Billy Corgan in 2010.

As the bandleader and chief songwriter of the Smashing Pumpkins, Corgan was a seminal 1990s figure during the most vital period of modern rock. Yet although the grunge era produced many great records, much of it was underpinned by a slacker ethos that sits uncomfortably with Corgan.

He was, and remains, an obsessive control freak and workaholic with an outlandishly deep-seated self-belief in his music.

But the abuse and neglect in his lyrics came from a place of truth. He was abandoned by his mother as a five-year-old and grew up in a home with an abusive step-parent.

That he became the man responsible for a cluster of rock songs that can, without exaggeration, be called classics is no small triumph. In the US, Today, Disarm and Tonight, Tonight still dominate rock radio 15 years on. But Corgan also earned a reputation — fairly or not — as rock's tyrant-in-chief. And today, aged 43, he remains the most polarising of figures.

He has shunned major labels and plans to release 44 songs over four years on smashing pumpkins.com for free. He will compile them into an epic, self-released album called Teargarden by Kaleidy-scope to be released by 2013.

Corgan unapologetically sold the rights to his breakthrough rock-radio hit Today for a Visa TV commercial to finance a decadent private recording studio.

He continues to tour and perform most of his greatest hits each night with a group comprising no original band members. The "Smashing Pumpkins" tour Australia next month.

He is also dating a Veronicas twin and writing a book about the New Age spirituality he thinks saved his sanity.

And, perhaps most disappointingly for long-suffering fans, an increasingly tawdry and embarrassing war of words with Courtney Love still festers after Corgan co-wrote much of this year's failed Hole album.

"I'll never work with Courtney again," Corgan told EG last week. "She has a long history of betraying every good thing that's ever happened to her. I put my whole heart and soul into trying to help her. I think she's a brilliant artist but she is a terrible human being.

"I have stood by her publicly and defended her but if you look at her set list, a third of what she plays live are songs I wrote. It's a great irony to have somebody publicly criticise me but then play my songs every night. If I'm going to be criticised you shouldn't play the songs I wrote. As a person, she is the worst."

He pauses for a moment. "She is the worst human being I ever met."

Unlike Love, his current Pumpkins line-up is generating the most goodwill since 1996, when his mother passed away, he battled depression and panic attacks and his band began to spiral out of control.

Back then, the Pumpkins's double-album masterpiece, 1995's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was proving difficult to follow up. The failure to do so began a period of decline for Corgan, symbolised by three successive flop albums.

Worse was Corgan's ill-fated experimental solo album, TheFutureEmb-race. He was confounded by the reviews of the 2005 release. "It was treated completely different than a Pumpkins record, which was like a psychological trick," he says. "If it's a solo record, it's like it can't be as good as a Pumpkins record. It made me realise the whole thing was bullshit and gave me the power to go back to Pumpkins. It's all my music, anyway."

While the departure of core members, bassist D'arcy Wretzky and guitarist James Iha, during the band's decline was jarring but ultimately unsurprising, the loss of drummer Jimmy Chamberlin — the final member standing from the "classic" Pumpkins line-up — in March 2009 stung most.

Although Corgan says he hasn't used illicit drugs in a decade, they are a pervasive presence in his life. The Pumpkins lost touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin to an overdose in 1996, and a. year before Chamberlin's departure, Corgan's father, William snr, an addict most of Billy's life, was found unconscious by police with a needle in his arm.

Chamberlin was seven years clean from his heroin addiction, had married and become a father. But the mistrust from Corgan related to his time as an addict seemingly never dissipated. He'd been a musical partner and confidant for Corgan and his departure was a huge blow.

"I don't talk about it much," Corgan says, carefully. "But it was a serious decision for both of us, we had invested a lot of energy bringing the band back. There was a point where we couldn't see eye to eye. It was pretty simple after that."

Have you spoken to him since?

"No, it was not a happy thing for both of us," he says. "I wish him the best. He's an incredible musician. But the way I play music has a specific high standard. I make no apologies for that. If somebody doesn't want to be there, oh well."

Corgan then had to make a decision whether to continue the band. Zeitgeist, the Pumpkins album Chamberlin and Corgan had recorded together in 2006-07, had sold OK and generated a successful world tour in 2007-08. Corgan sensed a solid enough mandate to persist.

"Fans understand that most bands don't last," he says. "It's a very volatile situation that involves a lot of pressure. People change."

Corgan drafted 20-year-old Mike Byrne as replacement drummer through auditions before unearthing guitarist Jeff Schroeder and bassist Nicole Fiorentino. Their first gig was in this year's US summer at the Viper Room in LA.

"If you look at what the original Pumpkins members are doing now, none are playing music or making records," Corgan says. "The stuff they have done is off the radar from the general public. This incarnation is energetic.

"The band has a future again. It doesn't feel old or stale. So if you want to miss that party it's fine. Go on YouTube and watch old videos. Live in the past. But I don't."

Pressed further and asked how he feels about those claiming his use of the Smashing Pumpkins name is illegitimate, Corgan is combative.

"What the f--- does it matter what I call it?" he says. "It doesn't, it's my music. You come to the show and all you hear is Pumpkins songs. Why not call it that? There's bands going around now with their original line-ups and nobody gives a shit. It's not about the original line-up. It's about making good music."

The critics argue Corgan's present cannot be as good as his past. Naturally, he vehemently disagrees.

"Come back in 10 years or five years and tell me this version of SP was a waste of time and you will be wrong."

His decision to leave Warner was similarly straightforward, in his mind. "On Warner, we were doing big shows in Australia and there were no reps [at shows]," he says. "So you know they don't give a f---. And you're getting no feedback from the local market. So when you're in that system, and you know the record company cares more about other bands who sell less than you, what you supposed to do?"

Go it alone?

"Yes! I don't want to be a part of it now," he says. "Artists are no longer in charge of their careers. Young bands are being asked to turn over their T-shirt money, music money and concert revenue. So when you see a young band play now, you're putting money in a major label's pocket. And I don't want to have my life in the hands of some jerk in an office."

With this mantra, his live show becomes fundamental to longevity.

"We cover every era of the long history of the band," he says of next month's Australian shows. "We play a lot of new stuff but not too much. I'm willing to take criticism. I wouldn't have had this career if I was too worried about that. Yes, I'm sensitive but sometimes criticism is fair."

Having reportedly "dated" actor-singer Jessica Simpson and reality TV star Tila Tequila in the past two years, and now in a relatively long-term relationship with Jessica Origliasso from the Veronicas, Corgan is also getting used to the critiquing of his personal life.

"I've been in this situation before," he says. "The beautiful thing about it all is having Jess in my life is a good thing. And you don't mind [the intrusion] so much if it's for a good thing, put it that way."

Far from tragic then, ask Billy Corgan how he is in 2010 and he'll tell you he is thriving.

"I'm a free person," he says. "I do what I want to do. A lot of people like me for that and a lot of people scratch their heads. But I just want to play music."

Ihaguitar
09-23-2010, 05:04 PM
More down to earth than most interviews.

paranoid
09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
reading this i'm thinking he lied in the rs interview about firing jimmy.

here's the scenario: jimmy wasn't feeling the negative vibes of the anniversary tour, wasn't 100% into the idea of being a smashing pumpkin anymore, told corgan he wanted out to pursue other musical interests and spend more time with his family, corgan gets super pissed and decides to take a public position that it's for the best that he leaves because, ultimately, chamberlin was an addict 15 years ago, and all along it still bothered him that he used to be an addict even though he put up a front that they were the best of friends and their musical lives together would never die.

chamberlin left and corgan felt rejected, corgan decides to act bitter about it. this is classic corgan when it comes to his relationships.

and i'm not buying the 'i have a high standard of quality' bull shit. the quality has gone down hill drastically since chamberlin left.. not that it was up to par before but it's sunk even lower. ever consider chamberlin left because his quality standards were not met? who wants to drum behind a shitty song? oh yeah, byrne.

avian chaos
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
He says, "I do what I want."

http://robotninjawhores.com/wp-content/2008/09/eric-cartman-240.jpg

bardy
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
The Pumpkins, peeled (http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/...0923-15oeo.html)

"What the f--- does it matter what I call it?" he says. "It doesn't, it's my music. You come to the show and all you hear is Pumpkins songs. Why not call it that? There's bands going around now with their original line-ups and nobody gives a shit. It's not about the original line-up. It's about making good music."

Fuck you, you delusional old crotch

Ihaguitar
09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Billy if it's about making good music then what's your excuse?

Esty
09-23-2010, 05:36 PM
First, he never trusted chamberlain fully because he used to use drugs. Corgan used to use drugs too. Not to jims level but still. Bill can change and become more "god loving" and thats ok, people SHOULD trust him but someone who is a reformed drug user and now a devoted father and husband. Keep an eye on him. He holds people to such rediculous standards.

Second, his argument about other bands and them still having all the orginal members and no one giving a shit is fucking stupid. Who even gives a fuck about other bands. He's the last of the founding members and no one gives a shit about him. Hell, his fanbase just keeps getting smaller and smaller. If he had so much confident in himself, he'd sell another hit to Visa and finance the gish boxset his fucking set.

Finally, constantly putting out music is not good. Keep your 40 teargarden songs, if he even has that fucking many, focus on the very best bunch and shit out an album. Send the others to b-side hell where they belong.

Astur
09-23-2010, 05:57 PM

of course it's not about the original line-up and of course it is about making good music, only that currently, you fucking don't

paranoid
09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Ihaguitar, was that supposed to be a neg or + rep? cause it's grey.

duovamp
09-23-2010, 06:12 PM
It's like he's pissed that people still shit on him, but he gets to do what he wants, so fuck it. I can support that.

Keep the funk train, rollin', Billy. :love:

Caine Walker
09-23-2010, 07:27 PM
man... i'm just not a fan of billy corgan anymore. there is so much deflection/denial going on here, it's just sad.

slunken
09-23-2010, 07:39 PM

"If you look at what the original Pumpkins members are doing now, none are playing music or making records," Corgan says. "The stuff they have done is off the radar from the general public. This incarnation is energetic.

This doesn't make any sense at all. He's just completely inventing things.

He's adjusting the facts again. I think he meant to say "it's about playing good music", which is why the setlists are so hits-driven.

avian chaos
09-23-2010, 07:40 PM
First, he never trusted chamberlain fully because he used to use drugs. Corgan used to use drugs too. Not to jims level but still. Bill can change and become more "god loving" and thats ok, people SHOULD trust him but someone who is a reformed drug user and now a devoted father and husband. Keep an eye on him. He holds people to such rediculous standards.

Second, his argument about other bands and them still having all the orginal members and no one giving a shit is fucking stupid. Who even gives a fuck about other bands. He's the last of the founding members and no one gives a shit about him. Hell, his fanbase just keeps getting smaller and smaller. If he had so much confident in himself, he'd sell another hit to Visa and finance the gish boxset his fucking set.

Finally, constantly putting out music is not good. Keep your 40 teargarden songs, if he even has that fucking many, focus on the very best bunch and shit out an album. Send the others to b-side hell where they belong.

Preach it, man.

whorebucket
09-23-2010, 08:21 PM
jimmy is making new music with "this." james is working on his second solo album and is going to tour in november with apc. what the fuck is billy talking about?

vbshlofbvgos
09-23-2010, 08:58 PM
he doesn't know anymore

yoshinobu's revenge
09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
lol @ Jeff being unearthed after Mike Byrne

man... i'm just not a fan of billy corgan anymore. there is so much deflection/denial going on here, it's just sad.

this ^

SpFission
09-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm a big fan of vitriol spewing billy..keep it coming.

bardy
09-23-2010, 09:26 PM
jimmy is making new music with "this." james is working on his second solo album and is going to tour in november with apc. what the fuck is billy talking about?

he could make the argument that they aren't "writing" music anymore. but by billy's egotistical standards, they never wrote any music while in the smashing pumpkins.

paranoid
09-23-2010, 09:27 PM

plus that whole thing about the general public. the general public doesn't give a flying fuck about billy corgan anymore unless he's playing today.. and even then they don't really give a shit.

paranoid
09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't often praise this site, but I think Hipsters United said it best via their twitter:

"You can't complain that your solo record was ignored because it wasn't "SP" then blame James/Jimmy for their non-SP records being off-radar."

paranoid
09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I think that deep down, billy corgan knows that the old band, him, james, darcy and jimmy, is ultimately the best band he's ever been in/will ever be in, and he's extremely hurt and bitter that he can no longer have a relationship with them. Otherwise he'd be grown up enough to let them go and stop TALKING ABOUT THEM.

It's really fucking sad to see where this band ended up. They truly had some magic together that can never be replicated, no matter what kind of personality or talent he puts up on that stage with him.

Corganist
09-23-2010, 10:45 PM
James has been working on his 2nd solo album for twelve years (and I doubt that being a hired gun for APC is going to do wonders for his studio time), and Jimmy has barely been heard from in almost two years now. There comes a point where this stuff has to move beyond talk of what's being worked on and onto talk of what's been done.

As for this article, I don't think it really sheds much new light on the Billy/Jimmy split. It does illustrate that Billy had no small amount of lingering distrust in Jimmy given his history, but I'm not sure why people don't seem to think it's understandable. Let's face it, Jimmy's demons all but destroyed what this band was in 1996 and they never completely recovered from it. If you had a coworker who pretty much fucked your career right at your peak, would you not be a little wary as long as they were around no matter how shaped up they may appear to be? Is it really that strange to fear that the other shoe was always waiting to drop? To me, it makes sense, especially in light of Jimmy acting flaky and clearly not having his heart in the band or music nearly as much as he used to.

slunken
09-23-2010, 10:55 PM
so you think inviting jimmy back in 99 was a mistake?

paranoid
09-23-2010, 10:55 PM
James has been working on his 2nd solo album for twelve years (and I doubt that being a hired gun for APC is going to do wonders for his studio time), and Jimmy has barely been heard from in almost two years now. There comes a point where this stuff has to move beyond talk of what's being worked on and onto talk of what's been done.

As for this article, I don't think it really sheds much new light on the Billy/Jimmy split. It does illustrate that Billy had no small amount of lingering distrust in Jimmy given his history, but I'm not sure why people don't seem to think it's understandable. Let's face it, Jimmy's demons all but destroyed what this band was in 1996 and they never completely recovered from it. If you had a coworker who pretty much fucked your career right at your peak, would you not be a little wary as long as they were around no matter how shaped up they may appear to be? Is it really that strange to fear that the other shoe was always waiting to drop? To me, it makes sense, especially in light of Jimmy acting flaky and clearly not having his heart in the band or music nearly as much as he used to.

you're getting predictable.

and you can't blame jimmy solely for their 1996 demise.. the rest of that band made some shitty decisions in the after math as well, and you know.. from 1999 on when JC came back him and billy seemed to have moved on from that incident and seemed more positively focused on the music.. so why would it take another 10 years for the other show to drop again? They had some good things going between 1999 and 2009, and they seemed like closer friends.

whorebucket
09-23-2010, 11:28 PM

jimmy has a family and a sick son to take care of. i don't care if we haven't really heard from him in two years. the fact is jimmy is making music and billy is saying he isn't. billy needs to shut his mouth before he makes himself look like a bigger idiot.

killtrocity
09-23-2010, 11:37 PM
it's sick how you degenerates rip on Jimmy, go eat shit and fuck yourselves

stumpycat
09-23-2010, 11:47 PM
It's sad and pathetic that Billy Corgan continues to shit on his long-time musical partner Jimmy Chamberlin, albeit in new ways. He's coming off as an inflated, egocentric, and arrogant back-stabber. And implicitly admitting that the split was really due to creative disagreement after all while simultaneously asserting that his drumming isn't to a sufficiently high standard? Fucking laughable. Seriously, analyzing Billy's behavior in all of this is like Freud by-the-numbers.

Esty
09-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Preach it, man.

Hey good looking, missed you, and you're smiley faces.:love:

There is no eveidence that james has been writing for 12 years. Thats fucking stupid on your part.

To refer to jimmy as a "co worker" shows just how much of the kool aid you have been fucking drinking. In the bands history, its well documented that it was a close James/Dracy relationship and a Bill/Jimbo bromance. To make it seem like their relationship is equal to a coworker one makes me want to bitch slap your ass. Your post defending bill keep getting worse and fucking worse. No one should even get into a debate with you anymore. If they do, they should do what I fucking do and just say, "You're a stupid fuck." Thats it.

Finally, Bill should not even bring up the drug history. Its over, and its been done with. It didn't bother him so much to start the band back up, but now all of a sudden, its enough for him to not want jim around. Unless jim is back to using, bill needs to shut the fuck up about it.

Oh, and btw, You're a stupid fuck.

Corganist
09-24-2010, 12:58 AM
There is no eveidence that james has been writing for 12 years.
Exactly. LICD came out in 1998. It doesn't take 12 years to put out a record. Yet, every time he comes out of his hole to be in a band with a Hanson brother or buy another bottle of bleach for his hair, he says he's working on it.

To refer to jimmy as a "co worker" shows just how much of the kool aid you have been fucking drinking. In the bands history, its well documented that it was a close James/Dracy relationship and a Bill/Jimbo bromance. To make it seem like their relationship is equal to a coworker one makes me want to bitch slap your ass.
Irrelevant. It doesn't negate that Jimmy's mistakes severely fucked Billy's career up. It really doesn't matter if they were the best of friends or just business acquaintances. It's not that farfetched to think that maybe, just maybe, Billy might have been a bit sore about that and was maybe just a bit worried that something might happen again. Just because Billy and Jimmy were close doesn't mean there couldn't have been tension there (and obviously, knowing what we know now, there must have been).

Ihaguitar
09-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Ihaguitar, was that supposed to be a neg or + rep? cause it's grey.

neg

Esty
09-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Exactly. LICD came out in 1998. It doesn't take 12 years to put out a record. Yet, every time he comes out of his hole to be in a band with a Hanson brother or buy another bottle of bleach for his hair, he says he's working on it.

Irrelevant. It doesn't negate that Jimmy's mistakes severely fucked Billy's career up. It really doesn't matter if they were the best of friends or just business acquaintances. It's not that farfetched to think that maybe, just maybe, Billy might have been a bit sore about that and was maybe just a bit worried that something might happen again. Just because Billy and Jimmy were close doesn't mean there couldn't have been tension there (and obviously, knowing what we know now, there must have been).

James has not mentioned a new album until recently. I would say he MIGHT have mentioned it when bill brought SP back. The hanson band was what, a year or two ago. Find me some proof of a time when he said anything about currently writing/working on an album. Besides, he's not corgan and writes music while he takes a shit, masterbates, at every living moment. At most, i'll give you 5 years but really, who gives a fuck.

Once again, if he was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking worried about his past drug habits, why bring him back at all? Not just with the "resurrection" but even as far back as 1999 when jims drug issues would be a more valid reason for bill to not want him around. There is no way these feelings just decided to pop up what, 12 years since the machina era and 4 years since "SP" came back. What? Did he just start to get worried? Sounds like he just needed an excuse to justify his feelings for jim. "You know, he was a drug abuser 13 years ago. Once a user, always one." Are you fucking kidding me? Please tell me even you can see past this bullshit.

Sounds to me that his little feelings are fucking hurt and its just him being a defensive piece of shit looking to blame anyone for the simple fact his music is now fucking horrible. Its so fucking horrible his "brother", and part of the 1132313% of "SP" anyway lost faith in him, the music, and the band.

Fuck you corganist. You're too fucking stupid to live and I hope you die a horrible fucking death while spangled plays in the background.

DiscoJon
09-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Fuck you corganist. You're too fucking stupid to live and I hope you die a horrible fucking death while spangled plays in the background.

:banging:

Future Boy
09-24-2010, 03:50 AM
I could stomach this shit more if he ever took some blame for things. Beyond loving them all too much, and protecting them too long, and other bs like that.

Rider
09-24-2010, 04:00 AM
Why can't reviewers just not like his work. He always has some weird out there psychological conspiracy theories whenever people criticize him.

redbull
09-24-2010, 05:16 AM
i'm starting to wish he'd just blame people not liking his shit on chemtrails or something so he wouldn't have to be fucking crippled by the fact that everything isn't the way he wants it to be

Rocket Launcher
09-24-2010, 07:01 AM
hey guys, listen to the Try To Try version from 1990-06-16 Club de Wash and check out Jimmy's drum intro to the solo (starting at 1:26 about) and you know what to love about the guy. :/ well, that whole show makes me moist.

Starla
09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
"But the way I play music has a specific high standard."

lol

Spira|_
09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Omg guys Billy is a normal human, a person like us here, with opinions, sentiments, qualities, defects, with successful and unsuccessful relationships, with good days a bad days.
What the fuck bothers you so much about everything the man says??? He owns his life, he owns (and owned) Smashing Pumpkins, he owns his money and he 'owns' the life direction he wants.
We are the peons here who don't own a shit.

The only thing it is fair for us to ask him (because we were used to) is to write good music!

p.s. maybe Jimmy, James etc left the band because they are trolls, how will we ever know that? Impossible to know it.

All you say here are hypotheses.

Rider
09-24-2010, 12:27 PM
He owns his life, he owns (and owned) Smashing Pumpkins, he owns his money and he 'owns' the life direction he wants.

Really seems like he is always full of excuses. If he would just once say he tried something and failed at or at least failed to connect I would give him credit. It's always the other persons fault. The critics, the fans, the coworkers....

Spira|_
09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
True you got a point there. At minimum the connection with the fans is failing hardly :D

eyesofruby32
09-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey good looking, missed you, and you're smiley faces.:love:

There is no eveidence that james has been writing for 12 years. Thats fucking stupid on your part.

To refer to jimmy as a "co worker" shows just how much of the kool aid you have been fucking drinking. In the bands history, its well documented that it was a close James/Dracy relationship and a Bill/Jimbo bromance. To make it seem like their relationship is equal to a coworker one makes me want to bitch slap your ass. Your post defending bill keep getting worse and fucking worse. No one should even get into a debate with you anymore. If they do, they should do what I fucking do and just say, "You're a stupid fuck." Thats it.

Finally, Bill should not even bring up the drug history. Its over, and its been done with. It didn't bother him so much to start the band back up, but now all of a sudden, its enough for him to not want jim around. Unless jim is back to using, bill needs to shut the fuck up about it.

Oh, and btw, You're a stupid fuck.

Wow, you're bad now Ahmadinejad.

Esty
09-24-2010, 07:09 PM
What kind of stupid reply is that? If you have something to reply to specifically, do so. If not, shut the fuck up.

Ahmadinejad, jesus fucking christ. The noobs here fucking morons. Can't even defend bill anymore.

samuel redman
09-24-2010, 07:38 PM
I think both times he brought Jimmy back was to bring in some more money/not further lose any fans. the reason he brought mike in was because he thought he would try to appeal to some of the young demographic assholes, and maybe to make himself look better to the public eye.

I almost think he's going to ask Jimmy back in once again eventually, but there is no fucking way Jimmy would say yes.

Rider
09-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I think both times he brought Jimmy back was to bring in some more money/not further lose any fans. the reason he brought mike in was because he thought he would try to appeal to some of the young demographic assholes, and maybe to make himself look better to the public eye.

I almost think he's going to ask Jimmy back in once again eventually, but there is no fucking way Jimmy would say yes.

I don't think Mike had anything to do with demographic, it's all a control issue.

charade
09-25-2010, 02:18 AM
yeah my dear pumpkinslovers...

it seems that corgan suffers a real burn-out-syndrome...lost most of his creativity. his voice doesn`t sound heathy anymore, sounds like a toaster. look at soundgarden, cris cornell`s voice also gets a little lower but he can reach the high notes and sings with the same energy as ever.
it were much easier, if corgan would admit, that he has "some" problems and that he could see that this music isn`t that good anymore. then he would treat the old pumpkins with respect. but as long as he officialy states the new pumpkins are as "good" as the old pumpkins-incarnation and trys to pretend everything were ok, it`s just a silly behaviour....

maybe his new music is good for people with an awful taste in music. for mormons or bluegrass listeners or people who liked zwan even more than the pumpkis.

but for people like us who grew up with 90ies bands this music can´t be good, even if some of us might like esoteric...

on the other hand Billy`s favorite bands made better music than the "new" pumpkins. I hate that he always lives in the past and refers to old rock icons.
beatles, for instance, were a compeltly overrated band. it was the first music that was in some sense different (than elvis) and basically just the girls went to concerts and it was just a teeny-boober-act. girls wanted to get fucked from these cool guys on stage. completly overhyped, silly childish melodies.... "she fucks you, yeah,yeah, yeah..."
nonetheless I don`t "hate" corgan. even some tfe- and zwan-songs (b-sides) were worth listening but they never gave me as much as the old pumpkins music... so tfe and zwan were just to 70% a mistake...

since zeitgeist, though "tarnatula" has reawake some hopes, I`m really enbittered about this new pumpkins incarnation. he made a circus out of of something that was once a real genius and brilliant act- if he really had given up on the idea to re-form the pumpkins to release "medicore" zwan 2.0-songs...then the pumpkins could be treated still as 90ies cult-band.
but no you must explian everone the difference between old and new pumpkins, this just sucks.

it`s so annoying that he can`t accept that 10 years of failure is the proof that he is no longer a relevant artist, even for the "underground". does he need 100 years to understand this!?

now he is just his own hit-jukebox, but other bands who also reformed do this job gracefully with the same spirit as in the 90ies. they transport their old songs to this decade and made them relevant for a new generation too isntead of trying to be relevant with new mediocre songs.

Billy is simply too coward to play some of the other old smashing pumpins tunes live. he thinks he sells only enough tickets if he plays mostly his "hits". on the other hand he blames peple that his whole song catalog gets overlooked....ha ha ha!

he really destroys everthing he has created and someone should stop him know... so why can`t some of you motherfuckers go to a concert and throw some eggs at Billy? He needs a clear sign.
maybe there are 10 cool teargarden songs which would suprise us in the future, but if we have to pay this surprise with so much mediocre releases month after month I really don`t want to hear these better songs and I highly doubt that they even exist or will ever get written. if the wold ends or transforms 2012, like corgan believes, I hope his studio will just explode and can`t exist in the "other dimension". ha ha ha!

besides the official "gay"garden-songs I know the song "shadow land"... also "mama" is written on his tracksheet for the album.... these are examples for songs were I wanted to get payed from corgan to hear them. this music is simply "malicious injury". even my music is better than teargarden and this worries me a lot, because in the 90ies corgan was a much better songwriter and I never would be able to write so good song slike he did. but now on a point were I like my own music more than music written by billy corgan, this is really a proof how bad corgan`s songwriting became. so corgan is simply like a piece of shit that no one can shit out, because it has to much influence on magazines because officially his band has the name smashing pumkpins. so everyone will grant him some interviews just because this name and the former succesful past. so throw some eggs please...

aomb1979
09-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Although Corgan says he hasn't used illicit drugs in a decade

This is interesting. He was zonking out on whatever during the Machina tour?

Rider
09-25-2010, 03:06 AM
This is interesting. He was zonking out on whatever during the Machina tour?

I think you might be taking the term decade a bit to literally.

Caine Walker
09-25-2010, 03:29 AM

i think you are absolutely wrong about all of this.

Astur
09-25-2010, 03:50 AM
as crazy and nonsensical as that demographic assholes theory is, it kinda fits though

Rider
09-25-2010, 04:39 AM
as crazy and nonsensical as that demographic assholes theory is, it kinda fits though

Yes but Billy wanting to surround himself will powerless sycophants fits better.

Gish08
09-25-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't talk about it much," Corgan says, carefully. "But it was a serious decision for both of us, we had invested a lot of energy bringing the band back. There was a point where we couldn't see eye to eye. It was pretty simple after that."

Have you spoken to him since?

"No, it was not a happy thing for both of us," he says. "I wish him the best. He's an incredible musician. But the way I play music has a specific high standard. I make no apologies for that. If somebody doesn't want to be there, oh well."

Corgan then had to make a decision whether to continue the band. Zeitgeist, the Pumpkins album Chamberlin and Corgan had recorded together in 2006-07, had sold OK and generated a successful world tour in 2007-08. Corgan sensed a solid enough mandate to persist.

"Fans understand that most bands don't last," he says. "It's a very volatile situation that involves a lot of pressure. People change."
What a fucking asshole.

if by "specific high standard" you mean "being a cranky old twat with no sense of direction anymore", ok, sure.

As things stand currently (and probably for good), Jimmy has more talent and overall direction in his left nut.

The Omega Concern
09-25-2010, 04:43 PM
He believes Front Line Management, the Irving Azoff-created artist management company of which Live Nation owns the controlling interest, will play a major role in how artists are paid in the future, adding that he expects the subsidiary may work at convincing some acts to take less money for the betterment of the concert industry.

Live Nation Entertainment rating is lowered and stock price drops | TicketNews (http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Live-Nation-Entertainment-rating-is-lowered-and-stock-price-drops091007329)

I'd like to know how Billy can square up sounding off on major labels who screw over young bands with shit contracts and still be managed by Irving Azoff (or am I wrong about that?) who Live Nation is looking to tell established artists and new ones alike that the paradigm has shifted and stop asking for so much money.

http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Live-Nation-moves-to-pay-artists-less-to-tour-next-year091017689?printview=true

"Going into 2010, we didn't expect the consumer pull back that happened [in concert ticket sales]," Rapino said, in part because the company made money in 2009 during the throes of the recession. "We all thought that the theory that concerts are recession proof is true."

Seriously? Concerts are recession proof? And this guy is a C.E.O. people. Maybe they would be recession proof if the powers that be would promote acts that don't suck big corporate dick and actually reflect the body politic that wants some guts and integrity and some artist actually fighting the good fight...

Instead, we get shit like this from Bono, no doubt one of the major acts that won't get squeezed from the "recession":

Bono's ONE foundation under fire for giving tiny percentage of funds to charity | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314543/Bonos-ONE-foundation-giving-tiny-percentage-funds-charity.html)

lol...it's so sad you have to laugh.

nearly 10 million pounds in donations in which the charity gave out only 118,000 of it.

That's the state of Rock n Roll now people. Maybe if Billy really wanted that edge back he would speak against it...doh! Wait...

Azoff is still his manager right?

Now's your chance to do the right thing Billy. Gut it up and tell that guy to fuck off already, I don't see why you really need him anyway.

slunken
09-25-2010, 06:19 PM
^^ agree. i'm still not getting how much he yaks about being off major labels when he is still reliant on them and all they stand for. he's not fooling me, that's for sure.

Ihaguitar
09-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Actually ONE isnt a charity it's a lobby group that tries to get people to donate to charities. Bono still sucks though.

mickyshambles
09-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Once again, if he was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking worried about his past drug habits, why bring him back at all?

because he was in the band since 88, and he was pretty good at drumming?

listen to yourself. you sound like a tool.

mickyshambles
09-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Once again, if he was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking worried about his past drug habits, why bring him back at all?

listen to yourself. you sound like tool.

Rider
09-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Wow this thread has turned into one giant pile of ignored posts.

spidersoma
09-28-2010, 12:58 AM
"On Warner, we were doing big shows in Australia and there were no reps [at shows]"

As a Warner employee in charge of the Austin and Texas markets I can attest to the complete and utter lack of support Corgan received. I went to his solo show in Dallas and was appalled at the lack of visible marketing materials (posters, etc.).

Also, when his solo album came out they spent a fair amount of money on his promo booklet talking about his desire to return to the Pumpkins, but I couldn't get L.A. to sign off on doing any listening parties or record promotions.

I don't know if the lack of Zwan success was the reason they put Corgan on the back burner, but I was there for the days of Corgan getting screwed and ignored by his own label.

vbshlofbvgos
09-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Wow this thread has turned into one giant pile of ignored posts.

don't they all turn out like that on this board?

Rider
09-28-2010, 02:16 AM
"On Warner, we were doing big shows in Australia and there were no reps [at shows]"

As a Warner employee in charge of the Austin and Texas markets I can attest to the complete and utter lack of support Corgan received. I went to his solo show in Dallas and was appalled at the lack of visible marketing materials (posters, etc.).

Also, when his solo album came out they spent a fair amount of money on his promo booklet talking about his desire to return to the Pumpkins, but I couldn't get L.A. to sign off on doing any listening parties or record promotions.

I don't know if the lack of Zwan success was the reason they put Corgan on the back burner, but I was there for the days of Corgan getting screwed and ignored by his own label.

Since when do record companies do anything to promote shows. Record companies promote records. Promoters promote shows.

soniclovenoize
09-28-2010, 07:28 AM

What do you do for Warner?

Ihaguitar
09-28-2010, 11:18 AM
The RHCP are on Warner, and they had an audiophile version of their album Stadium Arcadium produced, Zeitgeist was due to get the same treatment but I think poor sales of the CD led to that idea being scrapped. Why was there poor sales of the CD? Because it was crap. Why? Because Billy made a crap album.

Now, if someone makes a crap album are you going to waste your company's money promoting it? I think Billy should have worked this one out - there's a reason Warner didnt promote you you fucking twat.

Pizza Club
09-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Now, if someone makes a crap album are you going to waste your company's money promoting it?

This happens literally every day.

paranoid
09-28-2010, 01:03 PM
This happens literally every day.

Yeah, but that shouldn't excuse Billy from making a good record.

slunken
09-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Cherri Bomb!!!

Pizza Club
09-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah, but that shouldn't excuse Billy from making a good record.

You are right, but I was just making sure everyone knows russianiha is not my favorite poster.

Reyngel
09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that the only thing Jimmy did to Billy in the last 10 years was exactly what should have been expected of him: stay clean, stay sober, be an active part of the music, and play like the talented musician he is.

Billy ran out of fingers to blame for his lack of success.

No more Darcy. No more James. No more producer. No more promoter. No more label.

With all of his original scapegoats gone, he was only left with two more pieces:

-The fans
-Jimmy

So he berated the fans throughout the entirety of the 2007 revival, and has continued to express a hatred for people desiring nostalgia or the history of the band. And as a result, most old fans hate him now.

That left him with one last piece to kill off:

Jimmy.

And after that all went down, he realized none of the axing got him back to the top. So now he's changing up his story and claiming Jimmy's problem from over a decade ago has come back to haunt the band... which of course is total bullshit. Just another excuse by Billy so that he can get out of admitting he's ever made a mistake.

He never actually admits he's ever done anything wrong. Even if you read his autobiography... he apologizes for working too hard on music, or caring too much, or loving people too much, or being too insistent with doing the right thing, or trying too hard at fighting for integrity...

What a fuckin self-proclaimed martyr.

Has the guy ever expressed any self-depricating comments in the last 15 years? I mean honestly... in Billy's world, everyone does wrong but him.

The Omega Concern
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Reyngal,

might you carry some empathy towards a person like that because it's in their astrological nature to not blame themselves?

It's what strong Pisces do, they can't help it, it's in their nature. Like a Virgo with a slight case of hypochondria or a Taurus slumbering through their sloth, if it doesn't get recognized and dealt with properly, it can expound upon the personality and keep building on itself.

spidersoma
09-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Since when do record companies do anything to promote shows. Record companies promote records. Promoters promote shows.

Not necessarily, actually.

I was a Field and Marketing Rep (FMR) for Warner in Austin, then a Regional Marketing Director in charge of the 6 FMRs in Texas: Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Lubbock, Corpus Christi. Side note: I resigned a few years ago to pursue a different path in life and get out of the failing record industry.

Our responsibility as FMR's was broad but included running street teams, delegating street team leaders, and distributing material (promo CDs, posters, free stickers, etc.) to them to spread throughout the city in our "lifestyle" (record stores, hair salons, skate parks, etc.) accounts.

We also worked with local radio stations and clubs to host contests for meet n' greets at concerts (Avenged Sevenfold was the funniest/most awkward due to a fat teenage goth girl reciting her poetry to the band), or to have listening parties (free pizza and sometimes free beer and/or ticket/CD giveaways).

We also were responsible to make sure any act performing in our city any particular evening had concert/show leaflets at local lifestyle accounts weeks and days prior to the show, or were visible at the venue by having posters (promotional ones, not ones advertising the show) up inside and outside of the venue the day/night of the show.

We were given VIP/backstage access to all Warner/Reprise/Saddle Creek/Maverick/etc. shows and expected to talk with/meet the band/artist, their tour manager(s), crew, etc., and give a good face from the record company.

I went to Billy's Dallas show for fun (I was just an FMR in Austin at the time but got tickets since he didn't come to Austin) and could tell within 2 minutes that nothing was done at the show that an FMR should have done.

The problem is that record companies are full of people. Opinionated, entitled, self-involved people who had/have a lot to say, but didn't really want to do the work save for some of my bosses; I worked directly for some really amazing people, but the work/promotions trickled from above even their heads and we could only work on/promote what was given/instructed by conference calls.

When Billy's release was about to hit the market (3 weeks before its release) I was on the phone with three different people in California asking why I had minimal promotions material and no word on listening parties or promotional events. I was given "hey yeah we don't have anything for Billy Corgan on the table right now, let's talk Green Day/RHCP!"

Out of all the inane things Billy has complained about, lack of support from the record label is the one thing I agree with him on and sympathize with him on.

paranoid
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM

So were they largely behind the ad that was released about his wanting the pumpkins back the day TFE came out? Did they back that financially? Because it was widely believed Corgan paid for that.

That's silly, and quite pathetic.

paranoid
09-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Has the guy ever expressed any self-depricating comments in the last 15 years? I mean honestly... in Billy's world, everyone does wrong but him.

I can only think of one instance, in graceful swans of never he says continuing on in 1996 after Jimmy's departure was one the the biggest mistakes he's made in his career.

soniclovenoize
09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Wrong.

I was a Field and Marketing Rep (FMR) for Warner in Austin, then a Regional Marketing Director in charge of the 6 FMRs in Texas: Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Lubbock, Corpus Christi. Side note: I resigned a few years ago to pursue a different path in life and get out of the failing record industry.

Our responsibility as FMR's was broad but included running street teams, delegating street team leaders, and distributing material (promo CDs, posters, free stickers, etc.) to them to spread throughout the city in our "lifestyle" (record stores, hair salons, skate parks, etc.) accounts.

We also worked with local radio stations and clubs to host contests for meet n' greets at concerts (Avenged Sevenfold was the funniest/most awkward due to a fat teenage goth girl reciting her poetry to the band), or to have listening parties (free pizza and sometimes free beer and/or ticket/CD giveaways).

We also were responsible to make sure any act performing in our city any particular evening had concert/show leaflets at local lifestyle accounts weeks and days prior to the show, or were visible at the venue by having posters (promotional ones, not ones advertising the show) up inside and outside of the venue the day/night of the show.

We were given VIP/backstage access to all Warner/Reprise/Saddle Creek/Maverick/etc. shows and expected to talk with/meet the band/artist, their tour manager(s), crew, etc., and give a good face from the record company.

I went to Billy's Dallas show for fun (I was just an FMR in Austin at the time but got tickets since he didn't come to Austin) and could tell within 2 minutes that nothing was done at the show that an FMR should have done.

The problem is that record companies are full of people. Opinionated, entitled, self-involved people who had/have a lot to say, but didn't really want to do the work save for some of my bosses; I worked directly for some really amazing people, but the work/promotions trickled from above even their heads and we could only work on/promote what was given/instructed by conference calls.

When Billy's release was about to hit the market (3 weeks before its release) I was on the phone with three different people in California asking why I had minimal promotions material and no word on listening parties or promotional events. I was given "hey yeah we don't have anything for Billy Corgan on the table right now, let's talk Green Day/RHCP!"

Out of all the inane things Billy has complained about, lack of support from the record label is the one thing I agree with him on and sympathize with him on.

Did he recoup on Zwan? Future Embrace? ;)

paranoid
09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
he def. didn't recoup on TFE.. it sold what.. 39,000 copies?

soniclovenoize
09-28-2010, 04:46 PM
There you go, there's the answer. I'm willing to bet Zwan didn't either. They were on Warner too, right?

He's lucky he's fucking Billy Corgan, otherwise Warner would have never even returned his calls.

eyesofruby32
09-28-2010, 06:03 PM
What kind of stupid reply is that? If you have something to reply to specifically, do so. If not, shut the fuck up.

Ahmadinejad, jesus fucking christ. The noobs here fucking morons. Can't even defend bill anymore.

You stupid fuckin' pole rider. You're the fuckin' moron. You can dish it out but you can't take it. Whining little bitch.

eyesofruby32
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Esty, I'm glad to be free to freely fuck with your gay rules and bullshit. Leaving me negative rep? Wow, is that all you can do? Your life must suck! Haha...

spidersoma
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
So were they largely behind the ad that was released about his wanting the pumpkins back the day TFE came out? Did they back that financially? Because it was widely believed Corgan paid for that.

No, the ad in the paper was Billy's doing.

Warner printed and distributed CD album-sized color booklets about 8 pages long with lots of photos of Billy that were from the photo shoot for the cover of the album. Inside he rambles about the Future Embrace and makes statements about wanting the Pumpkins back. I think it was meant to generate buzz about the return of the Pumpkins. In my opinion, I think all Warner was interested in was getting the Pumpkins name back up and running and weren't going to give Billy the time of day until then.

My career for Warner started out as a lowly street teamer for Zwan. The FMR at the time was a super nice lady who was about to get married and basically dumped a lot of her work on me. She made me an official college intern and had me helping with bands other than Zwan. It might have seemed a little unfair that she was making me do her job while she was getting paid for it, but a) she was REALLY nice and friendly to me, b) anytime she had tickets or passes to something cool she offered it to me first, c) when she decided to resign as FMR she basically handed me her job on a silver platter and was responsible for Warner hiring me before they even offered the position publicly.

It's kind of cool to talk about now I guess. I hated talking about it when I was doing it because I'm in Austin and, as you can imagine, every starving musician here (and there were/are a lot of them) saw me as the front door to their illustrious rock and roll career. That, and Austin is full of a lot of people who mean well (most of them, at least), but are kind of running in circles as far as promotions for Austin musicians go. I think I became a possible ticket out of here for a lot of people (even though I assured them I was in Marketing, not A&R, so I was only responsible for promoting already-signed artists and had no "in" with the A&R department), so I kept what I did on the down low as much as I could. It got to the point that I seemed to know half the town, though, so it started getting harder and harder and I had this whole "2 degrees of separation" thing going on with most of the city here. I'm glad life has gotten simpler and I'm not really part of "the scene" anymore.

Still, I'm grateful for having an opportunity I know a lot of people would love, meeting all the people I met, getting paid to work in the music industry, some fantastic and unique memories, etc. The only downside (besides people in Austin trying to use me) was seeing bands/artists I genuinely cared about get cast aside by a giant machine that was only interested in profit margins while some of us a little lower down the ladder still wanted to see the music we loved get the respect and help it needed.

Pizza Club
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
^ That really sounded like a cool job.

slunken
09-28-2010, 09:16 PM
http://www.netphoria.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/mike_byrne.jpg

^ That really sounded like a cool job.