View Full Version : Is it worse when songs suck in a new way, or in a familar way?

Slurpee
09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
The difference between types of suck in The Fellowship and Spangled prompt this query.

Ihaguitar
09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
How does spangled differ from the other happy shit? imo it doesnt really. Therefore I cannot vote.

Spira|_
09-21-2010, 05:56 PM
No answer for me.
I hated Adore on the first listening, Machina too and Siamese too and now I love them all.
And it happens also with Spangled.

By other side I pretty liked MCIS on the first listening and now is my fav album.

The good thing with Billy writting is I never know what will happen!

EyesOfAJackal
09-21-2010, 06:48 PM
No answer for me.
I hated Adore on the first listening, Machina too and Siamese too and now I love them all.
And it happens also with Spangled.

By other side I pretty liked MCIS on the first listening and now is my fav album.

The good thing with Billy writting is I never know what will happen!

Actually, that's a great point. I hated songs like STRTJ and "Waiting" and basically any abrasive Pumpkins song on first listen, but some of those are my favorites now...

I wonder if some degree of that can happy with any of this happy stuff

Ihaguitar
09-22-2010, 02:43 AM
I liked gish right away. Siamese took a couple of listens to get used to the fuzz but I never hated it it just sounded different to what I was used to.

I didnt much like MCIS for a week or so, and I think there's certain aspects to it I still dislike. Some of the lyrics are a bit cheesy - Zero, BWBW

I pretty much liked Adore from the off.

Machina I feel the same way about now as I did when I first heard it.

Same with Zwan

Zeitgeist I disliked and still do.

I dont think TBK is going to grow on me, all I see is a progressive dip in form throughout the last decade.

redbull
09-22-2010, 02:59 AM
nothing is worse than widow wake my mind. i voted option 1

TuralyonW3
09-22-2010, 03:03 AM
^what he said

Astur
09-22-2010, 03:06 AM
i thought the "everything he writes is gold" option was a comedy one. but seeing how eyesofruby32 and corganist voted for it i guess i should've taken it seriously

ilikeplanets
09-22-2010, 03:11 AM
Sucking in a new way is worse because there is nothing happening at the time to cover it up. If you hate all their new songs you shouldn't go see a show or follow the band, really. That's what is happening NOW. But if you hate the old then you can just ignore it. I can't say that Pumpkins music is easy to love right away, either. It definitely takes a couple times of hearing it before it connects with a part of me...I'm not sure if that made sense..I haven't slept in around 30 hours O.O'

aztec litany service
09-23-2010, 12:00 AM
these tbk songs are all better live, they should just only release live stuff now, or something.

SpFission
09-23-2010, 12:20 AM
everything he writes is platinum

eyesofruby32
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
i thought the "everything he writes is gold" option was a comedy one. but seeing how eyesofruby32 and corganist voted for it i guess i should've taken it seriously

That's what I was thinking! I had to vote for that one just for the sarcasm factor.

CrabbMan
09-23-2010, 04:56 PM
I picked gold, but it was only 68% sarcastic. The thing is, the vast majority of his songs are really quite good, and for most of the ones that do suck there are probably a good chunk of people that disagree with that sentiment. Choices 1 and 2 might also be seen as do you prefer if Corgan sticks with one style of music that you don't like, or experiments with different styles of music you don't like? I like that he continues to try new things, and I totally dig when it works, and I hope for the ones that don't that I will eventually come to appreciate them.

On the other hand, I doubt that he puts the same time and honest effort into each song, and is probably less self-critical than his younger days. So more shit gets through his filters, hence the suck.

Shallowed
09-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Does no-one else feel that it's a waste of energy and emotion determining levels of suckiness?

CrabbMan
09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
no place i'd rather waste my energy and emotion than netphoria.

paranoid
09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
if corgan has ever been right about anything, is that he is progressive. progressive at sucking.

slunken
09-23-2010, 11:56 PM
yes but do you follow his twitters?