View Full Version : My song-by-song positive review of Teargarden (so far)

Cruiser
09-17-2010, 08:06 AM
With all the negative criticism surrounding this album, I thought I'd take the other side. Also work is slow right now, so I have a lot of time on my hands. This is my review of the album so far, considering each song that's been released. Not sure about proper tracklisting, so I'm going with the way I have it set up.

1. Teargarden Theme
- nice instrumental... picks up on past Pumpkins work (metallic/synthetic quality of Machina, idea of kicking off an album with an instrumental to set the mood like MCIS)
- introduces a pacing that seems to dominate Teargarden - more of a subdued, distanced feeling to it
- lots of nice guitar work (not necessarily fancy, just nice sounding) in the last couple of minutes

2. Song for a Son
- picks up on the calm feel of Teargarden theme at the start
- I like the slow build of the song, feels like we're being drawn into the experience of the album
- has a Pumpkins feel while also evoking a more classic rock feel

3. A Stitch in Time
- probably my favourite of the Teargarden songs so far
- unapologetic throwback to the psychedelic sound
- sense of restlessness, energy that pushes the album forward

4. Astral Plains
- the explosion of that restless energy from Stitch
- a rocker, but not in the typical SP way. More of a straight energy rocker than an emotional rocker
- I like how the texture of the song builds and fades in different parts to add a little bit to the repetitive nature of the song itself
(this is my least favourite song on the album)

5. Widow Wake My Mind
- sort of a nice counterbalance to Astral Plains
- a more focused, positive energy
- it's pretty repetitive as well, but I like the bridge or whatever, and I enjoy the lyrics too... nice to hear some positive words coming from Billy
- seems to cap off the first e.p./part of the album well, too... the journey's begun, and it's gained some focus and direction

6. Freak
- I really enjoy this track. It's poppy, catchy, and has that brilliant fuzz bass or whatever
- I like the blend of angry/disenchanted lyrics with the more positive music - seems to suggest that the feeling is still one of being able to overcome the condition of the world rather than being conquered by it
- I know people have complained, but I really like the ending of this song too

7. Spangled
- I will admit, there are a couple spots in the melody here that I don't like that much... but I do like the song over all. Love the music and the melody after the intro
- Again, I like the positivity. I like that Billy's taken the expectation of sad and dark songs and sort of turned it on its head
- Seems to uphold that mellow, detached feel that is weaving in and out of the Teargarden songs so far

** as far as the lyrics go, I don't enjoy these songs as much as I do previous SP work. That being said, I think they're good, and still far better than most of what's being released these days. I would like to see Billy push his lyrics a little more in terms of imagery and poetic style, but in the positive direction he seems to be moving with this work.

soniclovenoize
09-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey hey! It's Cruiser! :D

Astur
09-17-2010, 09:04 AM
hey remember when Widow got released? all the gay carnival music thing, the retarded drum fills and oh oh ohs and how we all went apeshit about it? those were the times. i'm stuck in early 2010

vbshlofbvgos
09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Also work is slow right now, so I have a lot of time on my hands.

any chance that it will pick up again sometime soon?

Spira|_
09-17-2010, 11:38 AM
1. TGT
- Nothing special. Weak. I really cant get into it.

2. Song for a son
- Dad rock sound. HATE it.
- Lame lyrics (sailors what?!)
- Bad vocals

3. Stitch in time
- The progression of the song is poor. It gets boring after the middle-foward of the song.
- I found some emotion here for the first time for a long time
- It gets boring after some listenings..

4. Astral Planes
- Weird and not really good. 'Delusions of Candor' of Starchildren is weird also but is a masterpiece.

5. Widow Wake My Mind
- I like the song tittle (it reminds me a very intense period of my life)
- It reminds Zwan which is a good point for me
- The song is not bad but the ohs ohs ohs kills it

6. Freak
- One of the best TBK songs
- I was very disappointed after read the lyrics. There is no Pumpkins context there.
- A bit Zwanish also... +

7. Spangled
- Hmmmmm curious this was the song I hated more at the first listening and now is probably my favorite of TBK
- It has some solid construction and progression
- I like the melody
- Although the drums are very very poor and lame.
- The butterflies lyrics are a bit embarrassing also

I use to post really good songs on my facebook frequently but until now It was impossible to post anything from TGK... It says all for me.

redbull
09-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with SP being lumped in the dad-rock genre. Do they really belong up there with Wilco and Pixies?

Ihaguitar
09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Pixies are dad rock?

Kahlo
09-17-2010, 01:30 PM
ah fuck we are getting old :s

redbull
09-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Pixies are dad rock?

go to a large music festival. 50 percent of the guys with kids will be wearing either a Wilco or Pixies shirt

(may not hold true outside of Chicago)

soniclovenoize
09-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I shouldn't be talking here, but I have to say--I saw Wilco about a year ago, and there were TONS of hot college chicks.

Of course my pick up line would have been "Hope you like kids..."

Ihaguitar
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
go to a large music festival. 50 percent of the guys with kids will be wearing either a Wilco or Pixies shirt

Well I have a kid now, I guess when music reaches a certain age the fans will have kids.

Fonzie
09-17-2010, 03:12 PM

same in NZ. Aging hipsters. fucking geeks.

eyesofruby32
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
The TBK songs are simply average. I like some things about them, and I dislike other things. I wish Billy would listen to Starla again and use that vibe for future songwriting, if he really wants to re-establish a more psychedelic element in the music.

slunken
09-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I shouldn't be talking here, but I have to say--I saw Wilco about a year ago, and there were TONS of hot college chicks.

"

all hot college chicks listen to is dad-rock. where you been? been a while since you banged one, huh?

soniclovenoize
09-20-2010, 08:35 PM
all hot college chicks listen to is dad-rock. where you been? been a while since you banged one, huh?

Um, yeah.

soniclovenoize
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
same in NZ. Aging hipsters. fucking geeks.

You just wait, motherfucker. You just wait.

antiskum
09-21-2010, 01:52 AM
college chicks are too old

ilikeplanets
09-21-2010, 02:07 AM
The songs sound better live...there's no keyboard or other crap to detract from the guitars. Also, Eye is really cool live...

antiskum
09-21-2010, 02:10 AM
don't know how these current songs compare live, but i remember actually enjoying the zeitgesit tracks live - can't believe badly they've been butchered in the studio

yoshinobu's revenge
09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
i am a dad and i like sp, wilco and pixies

Ihaguitar
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm a dad and I never got into Wilco. I used to love the Pixies but dont listen to them much now. I used to like SP too, in fact they were my favourite band for many years. I have never been into god and jesus crap it just irritates me and seems such a waste of time. My paraents never went to church and so what Billy talks about these days seems alien to me.

Cruiser
09-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey hey! It's Cruiser! :D

How's it going? You share a bit of the enthusiasm?

soniclovenoize
09-29-2010, 08:28 AM
No. Not really. I'm just bored.

Trotskilicious
09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Ihaguitar is not a teenager as i first theorized.

soniclovenoize
09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Ihaguitar is not a teenager as i first theorized.

qft

Trotskilicious
09-29-2010, 06:54 PM
actually he could be a teen dad, he is clueless enough.

soniclovenoize
09-29-2010, 10:07 PM
actually he could be a teen dad, he is clueless enough.

tru dat tru dat

antiskum
09-30-2010, 12:13 AM
lmao