View Full Version : Billy quotes that are no longer relevant

Ball Sack Face
09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
"You give me a fucking kazoo and I'll write you a good song"

"I'll come in with a string of riffs and direct the musical ideas. But you still need a band and their input to make the ideas come alive. You can't underestimate band chemistry. "

Ihaguitar
09-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Someone give the guy a kazoo, ffs...

Patuquitos
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
This might be a great thread.

I just don't have the energy to add to this "greatest hits" of contradiction. Too many quotes that don't make sense anymore.

stripes
09-14-2010, 05:01 PM
"I'm an asshole, please rape my face" - Guitar World, 1997

redbreegull
09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
"I reach for God like I reach for the ketchup."

paranoid
09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
"I will never sell out."

paranoid
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
"In the beginning, though, I have to admit that I did have a chip on my shoulder. I did want to prove everyone wrong. But after I went through the process and came out the other side, it wasn't about anyone else."

"It just doesn't work without the others."

Which.. I think is still relevant, because it DOESN'T work well with the others.. it's irrelevant because in his mind he thinks it does.

"James, that's a bad situation. I'm not saying it's not repairable, but it's pretty far. When you go from being in one of the best bands in the world to some cover band... as far as I'm concerned, he was playing down at the pub. "

this one is gold. He's talking about James' role in APC. Now he himself went from being in the biggest band in the world to, in his terms, is a cover band. asshole.

wHATcOLOR
09-14-2010, 08:21 PM
yeah, he sings in a karaoke band pretty much

russian iha
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
That quote from PI about never re-recording songs.

slunken
09-14-2010, 11:55 PM
"To get someone to sit down in 1995 and listen to a double album will be an amazing feat, but the fact of the matter is that we will actually do it And we didn't drop the ball. We didn't fuck them. We didn't go for a 30-minute mega-jam to fill it out It's all there. People perceive that as arrogance-it's just confidence. I know that if I deliver, I got it. I mean, the message I get from an audience is, like, "We want to be kicked in the ass. We really want it. Make it happen." And I'm glad to do it. " Raygun, 95

slunken
09-15-2010, 12:02 AM
I've been accused, of, "You're negative," i.e., "You're making negative music," i.e., "You're causing more negativity." They just don't get it That is what I'm talking about transcendence: You can say, "Why, listen, I understand, I've fucking been there, I know what it's like, and here's the other side, you can get from here to here." But no one's gonna believe you unless you can go down and speak their language. That's why I felt that it was important, on this album, to communicate these things before I felt that I'd gotten too old to really communicate them. Obviously I'm living an opulent lifestyle-how much longer can I communicate to that sensibility? In a weird way, now is a very weird, important time, and I don't think that there's anything I can do to change it on any kind of grand scale. I'm not that delusional. But I think artistically I at least have to signify it.

Raygun: I was watching the Pumpkins' "Euphoria" video, and there's that monologue on "I Am One" where you go off....

Billy Corgan: The Rant

Raygun: Right The Rant About "nothing." Coming back to that word all the time-"giving me a whole lot of nothing." You're talking about the erosion of the belief structure.

Billy Corgan: And I get a lot of shit, including from my band! about those very monologues. But those monologues were really the gestation of my thinking on this record. You're at Lollapalooza or wherever, and there they are, the Youth of America. Do I toe the party line and put on the happy show-"Thanks for coming!"-or do I really take the opportunity to fucking push the buttons and make a rock & roll statement as much as, like, "Rock 'n' Roll Nigger" was a statement? Make a fucking stand. Believe in something. You hit it right on the head. That's exactly what I'm talking about I supposedly have everything. I don't have jack shit Here you are, you ain't got shit, either. You know, 'It's negative, what are you trying to say? You're insulting your audience, you're attacking your audience." It's like, "No, you don't get it." You have to go down in this muck to see it You cannot stand up on this hill and go, "Gee, it's really desperate down there."

Raygun: Of course not. Cause then you are faking it Then it's not real.

Billy Corgan: That's exactly the point of my band. You cannot expect me to be a faker.
- ibid

slunken
09-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Billy Corgan: Well, simply put, it's a belief in yourself and it's hopefully a belief in others. Because that's really all we have. It's a very spiritual way to answer the question, but that's it. Sometimes I get in these Jesus arguments with kids, they want to Jesus argue with me. And I'll say to them, "Listen, hey, it's been roughly 2000 years since Jesus lived and died. Has life gotten better in those 2000 years? No. Are we any closer to God in those 2000 years? No. Are we any more spiritually together? No. Are we headed to be a decadent, morally corrupt society? Absolutely. And in 2000 years of thought and great minds since the time of Jesus-if that's where you want to put your zero point-no one's figured it out. It's obvious that's not the direction we're headed." We're not headed towards any kind of purity in our living. - same

Panthalassa
09-15-2010, 02:33 AM
"To get into the circus it costs you 5 pence."

Damn inflation.

Ihaguitar
09-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I found this quite amusing:

For someone who's had the level of success I've had, there's been very little critical review of my work, which is pretty fascinating.

Trotskilicious
09-15-2010, 06:40 PM
you need to stop posting

Ihaguitar
09-15-2010, 06:41 PM
you need to stop posting

I'm going to bed now.

slunken
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
kiss eyesofruby32 goodnight for me.

bardy
09-16-2010, 10:51 AM
On Adore: "This album is definitely me saying goodbye to what I consider my rock and roll. Whatever our little generation's rock and roll was. I mean, it's done, there's no getting around it. You can try to recreate it, you can run it through more fuzz boxes, but
it's done. It's time to move on."

bardy
09-16-2010, 11:05 AM
"We can look you in the eye and talk to you about life, heart, love rock'n'roll, whatever, but we do not have the moral authority to tell people how to vote or what to do with their bodies. We are just a rock band."

"I'm Irish and I was born on St. Patrick's day. I'm lucky sevens."

samuel redman
09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
god why does billy have to have a twitter page

slunken
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
He doesn't know

Rocket Launcher
09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
"if you want more go to your local clubs and demand our presence"

nofix
09-16-2010, 07:30 PM
RS: Have you ever listened to a Backstreet Boys record just to see what the hoo-ha is about?
BC: No. I have a kind of pleasant apathy toward all that kind of stuff. It doesn't disturb me. What disturbs me is things that are given more weight than they deserve. There is so much that is disappointingly unreaching and unprogressive.

Trotskilicious
09-16-2010, 08:44 PM
"This is for the gangstas and the bitches the hustlers and the hoes. Crossover whatever, mainstream no."

oh sorry that's an irrelevant quote from lil wayne.

aztec litany service
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
"The closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets."

"The Smashing Pumpkins was never meant to be a small band. It was going to either be a big band, or a no band."

and the obvious...
"I have always said that if one person leaves, that's the end of the band. I'm not going to carry on with a faux Jimmy or faux D'Arcy. No fucking way."

here's a few that are relevant..

"The world is not set up for a band like the Smashing Pumpkins -- it's set up for bands who can play the angle better."

"Every year that goes by, I lose that much more motivation to play rock."

i find this interesting..
"I'm a Pisces, and Pisces have this weird inability to be completely spontaneous. We're too conscious of our actions. I've always been way too sensible for my own good."