View Full Version : Live Show Experience and Thoughts

bardy
09-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Please post your recent live show experiences in this thread.

I went to the Sacramento show last night. I was pretty disappointed.

The venue - Good. There wasn't really a bad seat in the place. There wasn't a large space between the stage and the first row of seats, so I was able to get close really easily. Probably the closest I've been at an SP show.

The crowd - Good. They were really supportive and into the show. I don't think Billy could have asked for a better reaction to the music he was producing. Lots of pot smoke though, which annoys me, but that is neither here nor there. Billy commented on the amount of pot being smoked though, and asked the people up front to continue lighting up or the quality of the show was going to start decreasing. I am not if this was from his or their point of view.

The music - Meh. I really am not a huge fan of the new stuff. It's definitely better live, though.

The band - uuuuuuuuuugh. It's just so wrong to see the new people up there playing those songs. I don' t think that they are incompetent musicians, though. It's just wrong. It felt like I was watching a bad cover band. I kind of giggled to myself when I heard the news that jimmy left the band--I was amused that Billy still thought he could tote around the SP flag all by his lonesome. The absolute absurdity of this didn't hit me until I saw them live last night. Its freaking WEIRD to see the songs being played by people who were probably not even able to walk when Gish came out. It honestly made my heart hurt. It would help if they even seemed to be enjoying themselves. That 12 year old drummer was the only one out of them who seemed to be into the music at all.

Billy - He seemed to be having a good time, but his heart wasn't in it. It seemed like he was just going through the motions. Honestly, I was screaming louder than I really wanted to because I felt if the crowd appeased his ego he might try harder. That is not something your fans should feel during a show.

In my humble opinion, he needs to drop the three non-pumpkins, pick up an acoustic guitar, and search that bald head for some actual emotions. Stop soothing the mid-life crisis with trashy women and off-the-wall religious nonsence. Pick up a guitar and write a song about how empty your life is. Isnt that what artists are supposed to do?

On a side note, the neighborhood I live in has a 'concert series' during the summer at the local ampitheatre. It's not a very ritzy place, so they always get washed-up bands to play. The other weekend I went to see YOSO, which is a compliation some of the members of Yes and Toto. On the surface, it would seem that this band was created just to cash in on whatever remaining fame is left over from the 80s. I was expecting to feel embarassed just watching their desperation on stage. But I was surprised--they were together because they still loved to play music and all of the members were having so much fun. You know when I felt embarassed watching someone on stage? It was when I watching Billy last night. I was getting definite whiffs of desperation.

slunken
09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Pick up a guitar and write a song about how empty your life is.

I think this is what we all really want from him.

slunken
09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Petition for Billy to play solo acoustic sets of ultra-sad songs - SIGNED.

bardy
09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I think I would also be happy with either of the following:

Billy playing solo acoustic sets of ultra-sad and ultra-angry songs

Billy consuming large amounts of a mild altering substance and playing any instrument.

paranoid
09-07-2010, 04:48 PM
ya know, i haven't seen this show in person, but watching the spin broadcast i got the same vibe of 'going through the motions.' and as happy as he likes to tell himself he is with what he's doing now, it's coming off as denial. and this new band sucks.. amazing the levels of mediocrity the current fan base is willing to accept. this is some of the worst shit he's done in years (as far as new songs go and live performance) and people are eating it up. i don't understand it. but to each his own.

eyesofruby32
09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
ya know, i haven't seen this show in person, but watching the spin broadcast i got the same vibe of 'going through the motions.' and as happy as he likes to tell himself he is with what he's doing now, it's coming off as denial. and this new band sucks.. amazing the levels of mediocrity the current fan base is willing to accept. this is some of the worst shit he's done in years (as far as new songs go and live performance) and people are eating it up. i don't understand it. but to each his own.

Let me guess- you want Corgan to release re-hash after re-hash of Siamese Dream, uh? Just crank up the fuzz pedals and dime the Marshalls, right. Yeah. They should do it. Hey man, lets revive 1993 completely.

You people are really AC/DC fans, because those guys have been putting out the same album for 35 years, and that is what you want the Pumpkins to do, face it.

I'm not criticizing people's opinions. I'm criticizing the close-mindedness of some fans. What did you all think from 2003 to 2007, between Zwan and Zeitgeist, when the Pumpkins were out of the conversation? Did you all shit on "thefutureembrace"?

Corganist
09-07-2010, 05:24 PM
This talk about Billy "going through the motions" really makes me wonder just how familiar some of you really are with the guy's history. Compare now to late 2008, to the entire TFE tour, to later parts of the Zwan tour, to the later stages of the Machina tour. Those are prime examples of times when Billy's heart and head clearly weren't 100 percent into what he was doing onstage, times where he was clearly looking ahead and/or was at total odds with the people he was playing with. There's really no similarity between now and any of those times.

Really, it's fine that some people aren't down with this version of the band for whatever reason...but it's silly when people continually try and project their disenchantment onto Billy and make it out like he somehow secretly shares their lack of enthusiasm. It just doesn't mesh with the reality we're faced with. For better or worse, Billy is clearly very happy with where things are going with this lineup and the recent touring. Some of you might feel like you're going through the motions going to these shows, and that's okay, but that doesn't automatically mean that Billy is going through the motions playing them.

russian iha
09-07-2010, 05:30 PM
TheFutureEmbrace is a masterpiece compared to ZG and TbK.

Catherine Wheel
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
He's happy with mediocrity which just proves that his heart isn't in it anymore.

Astur
09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Let me guess- you want Corgan to release re-hash after re-hash of Siamese Dream, uh? Just crank up the fuzz pedals and dime the Marshalls, right. Yeah. They should do it. Hey man, lets revive 1993 completely.

You people are really AC/DC fans, because those guys have been putting out the same album for 35 years, and that is what you want the Pumpkins to do, face it.

I'm not criticizing people's opinions. I'm criticizing the close-mindedness of some fans. What did you all think from 2003 to 2007, between Zwan and Zeitgeist, when the Pumpkins were out of the conversation? Did you all shit on "thefutureembrace"?

we're talking about live show here, please Billy, calm yourself down

paranoid
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM

you are completely off, so stfu.

paranoid
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
This talk about Billy "going through the motions" really makes me wonder just how familiar some of you really are with the guy's history. Compare now to late 2008, to the entire TFE tour, to later parts of the Zwan tour, to the later stages of the Machina tour. Those are prime examples of times when Billy's heart and head clearly weren't 100 percent into what he was doing onstage, times where he was clearly looking ahead and/or was at total odds with the people he was playing with. There's really no similarity between now and any of those times.

you're the type of fan that was defending all this shit and you continue to do so today. two years from now when this whole thing implodes you'll be saying how off he was and whatever the fuck he's doing in 2012 (which will be him singing to a backing track), you'll be defending it. shut up.

he's been on a downward trajectory as far as how he's felt on a stage/what he's doing on a stage since the last days of SP. This current tour is not an up-kick, it's a continuation.

bardy
09-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Really, it's fine that some people aren't down with this version of the band for whatever reason...but it's silly when people continually try and project their disenchantment onto Billy and make it out like he somehow secretly shares their lack of enthusiasm. It just doesn't mesh with the reality we're faced with. For better or worse, Billy is clearly very happy with where things are going with this lineup and the recent touring. Some of you might feel like you're going through the motions going to these shows, and that's okay, but that doesn't automatically mean that Billy is going through the motions playing them.

I did state that I think he is very happy. I guess I missspoke--I mean't that I don't think he has as much emotional attachment to the songs as he used to. Does that make sense? The the guy is obviously having a good time, but the stuff that he is doing seems void of any real energy or emotion, other than what he has 'learned' to do to decently entertain people. To me, he has morphed from an artist to some sort of musical theatre act. Creating vs. Entertaining.

bardy
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
And for anyone's reference, I thought that Zwan put on a great live show, from the clips I saw... and TFE tour looked pretty horrible, but I really liked that album.

The last time I saw the band, it was Machina-era with Jimmy and James. I remember thoroughly enjoying myself. The only other live show I've been to was Adore-era with the 800 drummers. That was a bit different becuase it was all-acoustic, but it blew my tiny mind.

paranoid
09-07-2010, 06:02 PM
you know what's incredibly ironic about this accusation that the old school fans want 1993/siamese dream all over again? He's been trying to do the same type of production/writing techniques that he did in 1993. He's brought out the fuzz pedals, the loud guitars. He's using dynamics, the same kind of harmonies. The difference? IT SUCKS THIS TIME AROUND. He's branded his sound now, or the 'smashing pumpkins' sound. it's an insult to 1993. He obviously can't do that kind of thing anymore (as has been proven largely since 2007).. so why not finally move on from that brand and truly try something new? And there's been glimpses.. I was excited, for example, to hear a latin percussion ensemble mixed with some U2 inspired guitars on march hare, i was thrilled they decided to dive a little bit into some droning free improv (set the controls), etc etc. But some of this new stuff.. my love is winter? why would I, as a fan of SP and a fan of music in 2010, want to listen to a second rate speed kills? WHY?

All He's proven in the past 3 years is that he truly doesn't have the talent anymore to continue pushing ahead as an artist. he's so deep in denial of that, and so scared of it that he continues to hide under the safe moniker of the band that made him famous. I'd like to see him grow some balls and move on from it already and REALLY PROVE that he can push ahead, break some new territory he's never explored before. I'd be curious to view the parallel universe where he didn't reform the band in 2005, and instead continued forging ahead on his own as billy corgan. might have been garbage, who knows.

eyesofruby32
09-07-2010, 06:27 PM
we're talking about live show here, please Billy, calm yourself down

It all goes back to this dissatisfaction so rampant in these forums. People go to see a SP show, and come away underwhelmed or whatever, because they percieve the new musicians to be lacking something. What do you want Corgan to do? Call up D'Arcy, James, and Jimmy and demand them to come back? They don't want to come back. Keep fantasizing. This ties in to the new music. "Oh, it sucks," "WWMM is terrible," "Song For a Son is garbage." Whatever. The way you guys are, if D'Arcy, James, and Jimmy had appeared on Teargarden, and SP were currently touring in their original incarnation, you'd be worshipping it, probably doing backflips down your street.

bardy
09-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I dont want the group to reform with its original members--I am not delusional. I want Billy to grow some balls and change the name of the band. He will have the right to play any of the SP songs if he wants, but it will be a COVER--that's what they sound like now anyway.

I will say that I enjoyed whatever song he did on the ukelele. And also Gossamer.

edit: Well I guess it wouldnt technically be a cover, I dont know what word would work there.

slunken
09-07-2010, 06:47 PM
That's why Spirits in the Sky was exciting - new band, new songs, new name, new energy, new hope.

Astur
09-07-2010, 06:56 PM
It all goes back to this dissatisfaction so rampant in these forums. People go to see a SP show, and come away underwhelmed or whatever, because they percieve the new musicians to be lacking something. What do you want Corgan to do? Call up D'Arcy, James, and Jimmy and demand them to come back? They don't want to come back. Keep fantasizing. This ties in to the new music. "Oh, it sucks," "WWMM is terrible," "Song For a Son is garbage." Whatever. The way you guys are, if D'Arcy, James, and Jimmy had appeared on Teargarden, and SP were currently touring in their original incarnation, you'd be worshipping it, probably doing backflips down your street.

I don't give a shit who's on the band as long as I like the songs. Sure I miss Jimmy's amazing drumming if anything but it all comes down to the fact that I simply don't fucking like the new material. It's as simple as a matter of subjectivity, and you can't force someone to like something he or she doesn't like. I liked many Zwan songs, I liked many Future Embrace, I liked some Zeitgeist material, I just happen to not like any of the SITS/Teargarden songs.

slunken
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
If you don't like SP3 you are living in the past and if you don't like rap you are racist.

New Art Rioter
09-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Indeed. I find the new stuff very hit or miss. Stitch In Time I love, Astral Planes and Song For A SonI quite like. Freak and WWMM I find actually immensely annoying to listen to. It's the drop in the standard in songwriting that's the worst thing, although there are some positives in what they are doing now, there's never been a time like the last couple of years where that factor has fallen so rapidly. However, a lot of the unreleased live stuff shows promise, Baby and My Love Is Winter have the potential to be great recorded songs. I can see Owata being another dose of aural Prozac

slunken
09-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Let's take a look at any given setlist from the current tour (this one from Sept 04):

Spirits in the Sky Songs:
02. Astral Planes
06. A Song for a Son
22. Freak

SP1 Songs:
03. Ava Adore
04. Drown
07. Today
08. Eye
09. Bullet with Butterfly Wings
13. Perfect
15. Cherub Rock
17. Tonight, Tonight
18. Stand Inside Your Love
21. Disarm
24. Zero

SP2 Songs:
05. As Rome Burns
10. United States
16. That's the Way (My Love Is)
19. Tarantula

New Songs:
12. My Love Is Winter

Absolutely Groundbreaking :confused:

slunken
09-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I mean, the ratio for a band with their eyes on the future is just fucked.

eyesofruby32
09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't give a shit who's on the band as long as I like the songs. Sure I miss Jimmy's amazing drumming if anything but it all comes down to the fact that I simply don't fucking like the new material. It's as simple as a matter of subjectivity, and you can't force someone to like something he or she doesn't like. I liked many Zwan songs, I liked many Future Embrace, I liked some Zeitgeist material, I just happen to not like any of the SITS/Teargarden songs.

I understand your point; if you don't like something, you don't like something. I felt the same way back when Radiohead released Kid A after OK Computer. There were definitely a handful of songs from Kid A that I liked, but I was disappointed with the techno/electronic direction they were going in. Then I went to see their show at Suffolk Downs, outside of Boston, in 2001, and it was a great show, but the 20,000 people there seemed to be mostly frat boys and hoochies who wanted to hear "Idioteque" all night.

i also agree with the discontent in the current setlists. Who the hell wants to hear BWBW and Disarm for the billionth time? There are a ton of great, un-played, and ignored SP songs from all the albums. Billy would obviously be in better graces with the longtime fans if he played a variety of this stuff.

eyesofruby32
09-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I dont want the group to reform with its original members--I am not delusional. I want Billy to grow some balls and change the name of the band. He will have the right to play any of the SP songs if he wants, but it will be a COVER--that's what they sound like now anyway.

I will say that I enjoyed whatever song he did on the ukelele. And also Gossamer.

edit: Well I guess it wouldnt technically be a cover, I dont know what word would work there.

I actually think your critique was well done. I agree that hearing SP play Today or Tonight, Tonight these days is probably a downer. I haven't seen an SP show since 1996, so I can't accurately judge their sound, even if I downloaded a bunch of recent shows. It's all about the physical experience. I wish they'd come around my neck of the woods so I could chime in as a concert-goer, not a bootleg collector.

eyesofruby32
09-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Just for the hell of it:

Everybody, choose a song or songs that you'd like to hear live if you were going to a Pumpkins show.

-Snail
-Suffer
-Hummer
-Luna
-Rocket (acoustic)
-Obscured (acoustic)
-An Ode To No One
-Here Is No Why
-Galapogos
-Porcelina
-Tales Of A Scorched Earth
-Thru The Eyes Of Ruby

applepwnz
09-07-2010, 08:07 PM
-The Aeroplane Flies High
-Love

Astur
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM
-Where's Vince?

and of course

-Do the Rubberman

paranoid
09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
i want to hear the future live.

slunken
09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I would rather hear all new stuff (sp2 and beyond) because proof is in the pudding that playing old jams with the current band just isn't enjoyable/plausible anymore.

paranoid
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I would rather hear all new stuff (sp2 and beyond) because proof is in the pudding that playing old jams with the current band just isn't enjoyable/plausible anymore.

I've seen a lot of live shows over the past year. One thing I've noticed is that if the music is GOOD, no matter if it's old or new, the audiences will love it and will respond well. Most groups I've see play mostly new material, and it 9 times out of 10 it goes over well (if the performance is good). Last I saw SP, the audience only seemed to respond well to Cherub Rock and BWBW. And if these set lists are any indication (WWMM no longer a part of the shows), the new songs are not generating great response and the audience is not finding the new music good.

slunken
09-07-2010, 09:03 PM
and i guess that's what the "current fans" vs "old fans" debate boils down to, no?

slunken
09-07-2010, 09:06 PM
On the 20th ann shows they played Bodies. They played IOTM. They played AoI. And I wasn't into it at all, even though I love those songs. So for me it doesn't even matter if they play "obscure" jams from the catalog, I'd rather hear all new stuff and I'd rather have that all new stuff be amazing. But it isn't amazing, is it?

paranoid
09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
nope. like i said before, i thought the new stuff they were writing/playing during the 20th was pretty damn good, but the new teargarden stuff is absolutely boring.

but im just making an observation on the audience reactions at the shows i've seen. everyone seemed invested in the old hits, but once something relatively obscure or new came on (and yeah, even soma got this same kind of response), it was sit down/go get a beer time. it's too bad really.

slunken
09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I think it's safe to say that out of every concert, 80-90% of the attendees are casual listeners. I'll be honest - I'm going to see KISS on Sunday and am stoked to see/hear them play Black Diamond/Love Gun back to back, although I'm sure it doesn't have the same intensity as it did back in the 70s. And I could care less about "the new stuff".

edit: but would I be going if this incarnation of KISS only had Paul Stanley? No.

slunken
09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
But I think about the first leg of the 98 tour and Billy and D'arcy kept apologizing for playing songs that nobody knows. Yet they did because the material was good and the crowd didn't seem to mind (I wasn't there). And what about the Arising tour?

The proof is there that it (playing new material mostly) can be done - if the new material is worth a darn.

edit: like if you play 4 new songs then bust out Bodies - you will get a much better reaction than by sandwiching Perfect, Tonight Tonight, and Disarm with one new mediocre song and then playing Bodies.

cork_soaker
09-07-2010, 09:46 PM
when is the ideal time to play bodies, is what i am wanting to know

paranoid
09-07-2010, 09:49 PM
But I think about the first leg of the 98 tour and Billy and D'arcy kept apologizing for playing songs that nobody knows. Yet they did because the material was good and the crowd didn't seem to mind (I wasn't there). And what about the Arising tour?

The proof is there that it (playing new material mostly) can be done - if the new material is worth a darn.

edit: like if you play 4 new songs then bust out Bodies - you will get a much better reaction than by sandwiching Perfect, Tonight Tonight, and Disarm with one new mediocre song and then playing Bodies.

I went to an Adore show.. the vibe in that audience was electric.. great, great sounding band and everyone danced through the whole set. no one gave a shit that they didn't play today or anything off siamese dream for that matter.. and they didn't care that the old songs were dramatically reworked. they just loved the music.

arising, same deal.. but there was a genuine energy and excitement in the air that the band was ''back'' and rocking. and they only played a few of the hits. no bwbw, no today, no 1979, no disarm, no tonight tonight... didn't matter.

bardy
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
when is the ideal time to play bodies, is what i am wanting to know

no bodies ever knew...

Eulogy
09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
i don't quite remember why everyone bitched about the 20th anniversary shows. they were pretty cool.

these setlists sound boring as shit though. it's all either new stuff that isn't very good or songs i've heard a billion times live.

throw out hello kitty kat or mouths of babes or quiet or something. if the casual fans don't like those even when they're not familiar with them, then they suck.

TuralyonW3
09-07-2010, 10:23 PM
how are those D-cups doing Bardy

redbull
09-07-2010, 10:30 PM
http://cdn-ugc.cafemom.com/gen/constrain/500/500/85/2010/08/14/15/96/mq/podcy885s81d1tc.png?imageId=19467240

Corganist
09-07-2010, 10:48 PM
arising, same deal.. but there was a genuine energy and excitement in the air that the band was ''back'' and rocking. and they only played a few of the hits. no bwbw, no today, no 1979, no disarm, no tonight tonight... didn't matter.

They played Today at nearly every Arising show (albeit the shitty reworked version). And I'm pretty sure they played 1979 a couple times as well. Doesn't really negate the thrust of your point, but you know...

What I don't really understand is why everyone seems to act like the sets on this tour are somehow indicative of some permanent desire of Billy's to rest on his laurels and lazily go through the rest of his career. This era of hits-heavy sets is just a phase, people. It was clearly meant to ease people into the new lineup and generate some energy that they could build on. And to that end, I think he's done a great job. Billy couldn't very well take this lineup out and pick up where the 20th anniversary tour left off, nor could he roll out 10-12 new songs and throw in a couple hits. Doing either of those would have just squandered any goodwill the band may have had and would have killed the whole thing dead in its tracks. But now, after this tour where they've been around the country and had most people say "Okay, I saw them and they didn't suck," maybe it is a little safer for them to step out of the box and capitalize on the little bit of positive buzz they had going.

slunken
09-07-2010, 10:59 PM
God I hope so cos I'm losing faith in a serious way.

paranoid
09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
They played Today at nearly every Arising show (albeit the shitty reworked version). And I'm pretty sure they played 1979 a couple times as well. Doesn't really negate the thrust of your point, but you know...

What I don't really understand is why everyone seems to act like the sets on this tour are somehow indicative of some permanent desire of Billy's to rest on his laurels and lazily go through the rest of his career. This era of hits-heavy sets is just a phase, people. It was clearly meant to ease people into the new lineup and generate some energy that they could build on. And to that end, I think he's done a great job. Billy couldn't very well take this lineup out and pick up where the 20th anniversary tour left off, nor could he roll out 10-12 new songs and throw in a couple hits. Doing either of those would have just squandered any goodwill the band may have had and would have killed the whole thing dead in its tracks. But now, after this tour where they've been around the country and had most people say "Okay, I saw them and they didn't suck," maybe it is a little safer for them to step out of the box and capitalize on the little bit of positive buzz they had going.

did i mention today in that list? no, i did not. my point was the show wasn't as loaded with hits sans a couple tunes, and the audience was still very enthusiastic. I believe 1979 was only played at one arising show. zero and ava adore were the only other singles played i believe, correct me if i'm wrong.

-how do you know it's just a phase? oh.. to ease people into the lineup? sounds like an excuse, not solid enough. he could ease them into the lineup with new songs that have more energy and pizzaz than any of the old tunes, but like i said, he doesn't have the talent to write and push that kind of material anymore. give a crowd a good, solid performance and they wont give a shit what you play.. otherwise, play something familiar so they can at least sing along.
-as soon as he gets this band playing unfamiliar songs again, everything goes downhill. I guarantee it. as of right now, who is cheering for Astral Planes? WWMM? My Love Is Winter? i think the past 3 years has proven that when it comes to SP, the audiences only give a shit about the 10 or songs that made them popular. they don't even care about the other tracks on the old albums. face it, SP has become one of those nostalgia acts, like most classic rock bands have become. going the way of bon jovi, but in clubs instead of stadiums.

lambert
09-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Actually, you did mention Today in your list. Between bwbw and 1979.

I think I agree with your assessment of them becoming a nostalgia act for most. Seeing them on Friday though so we'll see what the crowd and energy is like. Seattle Pumpkins shows have been mostly lackluster since the Machina era.

Starla
09-08-2010, 01:16 AM
well i was there via astral projection and it was a pretty kick ass concert. not sure what the complaints are about.

Starla
09-08-2010, 01:19 AM

i feel like ripping my eyes out with a fork and shoving a shot gun up my ass and blowing myself awayy aevery time i read these kind of fucking posts corgieanist. cant even handle this shit w/ a few beers.

Esty
09-08-2010, 02:51 AM
how are those D-cups doing Bardy

My guess is they might be needing a lift from the surgeon in a year or two.

Esty
09-08-2010, 04:43 AM
you're the type of fan that was defending all this shit and you continue to do so today. two years from now when this whole thing implodes you'll be saying how off he was and whatever the fuck he's doing in 2012 (which will be him singing to a backing track), you'll be defending it. shut up.

Basically. Corganist rolls with whatever bill says. Bill hates rock, he hates rocks. Bill hates vagina, corganist hates vagina. If he was not always defending him, then he'd have a point now and then.

He's a fucking hypocrite with no shame and no fucking memory of what he fucking says. No surprise he's a repub.

Slurpee
09-08-2010, 08:46 AM
The TFE shows with an all-new lineup and no SP1 songs were pretty good. There was an odd tension in the room, but the music didn't sound so forced. Then again how long ago was that? Like five years? Billy could at least still sing a little back then.

I'd be down for a tour that was all "SP3" songs. But of course then I'd be paying $50 to see them with 10 other people in a Brooklyn coffee shop.

paranoid
09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Actually, you did mention Today in your list. Between bwbw and 1979.

I think I agree with your assessment of them becoming a nostalgia act for most. Seeing them on Friday though so we'll see what the crowd and energy is like. Seattle Pumpkins shows have been mostly lackluster since the Machina era.

Haha oops that was an honest mistake. Oh well at least I gave corganist the oppritunity to try and find some sort of thin weakness. My point was still pretty clear.

bardy
09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
so noone but monte and me have been to the recent shows?

Kahlo
09-08-2010, 12:12 PM
This is Netphoria, not some SP fan site.

russian iha
09-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I went to an Adore show.. the vibe in that audience was electric.. great, great sounding band and everyone danced through the whole set. no one gave a shit that they didn't play today or anything off siamese dream for that matter.. and they didn't care that the old songs were dramatically reworked. they just loved the music.

:smoke::smoke::smoke:

bardy
09-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Video of the ukelele song:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ywRQcP02oEg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ywRQcP02oEg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Experience the MIKE BYRNE DRUM SOLO (I was standing like 5 feet away from the dude taking this video)
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTiAfftE3WA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oTiAfftE3WA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Cherub Rock. FUCKING YAAAAWN

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxaVR3lLZ8g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MxaVR3lLZ8g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

what the f cymbal thing was he hitting all the time? is it turned up too high? Its kind of distracting.

samuel redman
09-08-2010, 01:48 PM

i have. it was alright. 08 and 07 shows were much better

bardy
09-08-2010, 01:49 PM
can we ever regain the enthusiasm of youth?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9mA-RmNkiAM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9mA-RmNkiAM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

wHATcOLOR
09-08-2010, 01:58 PM
i had to give up on seeing bill live for good after the sf residency shows in 2007. those were so insulting and lousy. i still like to read these threads though. does not make me second guess anything. there are two comparisons that keep it very clear to me. i only saw pre-breakup sp live in 1998 and 2x in 2000, so after their peak and not the original 4, but it was impressive and respectable. it was exciting. starting with zwan, then tfe, and then sp2, i didn't really enjoy any of the shows aside from a few moments here and there. the other comparison is bill vs any other shows you go to of an artist you respect. it's night and day. sincere artists giving it their all vs. bill going through the motions. i will keep reading the threads though

bardy
09-08-2010, 02:11 PM
i don't quite remember why everyone bitched about the 20th anniversary shows. they were pretty cool.

these setlists sound boring as shit though. it's all either new stuff that isn't very good or songs i've heard a billion times live.

throw out hello kitty kat or mouths of babes or quiet or something. if the casual fans don't like those even when they're not familiar with them, then they suck.

With the new members, I don't think throwing out random songs is even possible. I assume with Billy's perfectionist attitude, he requires quite a bit of rehersing before he lets songs be played live. That's part of what makes the new SP sad--I can see him trusting jimmy, james, and d'arcy enough to remember some old school stuff without much relearning... but not these new youngins.

redbull
09-08-2010, 02:30 PM
agreed with whatcolor -- comparing the 07 and 08 SP shows I saw to concerts I've been to by some of my other favorite artists (NIN, the Mountain Goats, Big Boi, etc), the difference is just amazing

Ihaguitar
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
i had to give up on seeing bill live for good after the sf residency shows in 2007. those were so insulting and lousy. i still like to read these threads though. does not make me second guess anything. there are two comparisons that keep it very clear to me. i only saw pre-breakup sp live in 1998 and 2x in 2000, so after their peak and not the original 4, but it was impressive and respectable. it was exciting. starting with zwan, then tfe, and then sp2, i didn't really enjoy any of the shows aside from a few moments here and there. the other comparison is bill vs any other shows you go to of an artist you respect. it's night and day. sincere artists giving it their all vs. bill going through the motions. i will keep reading the threads though

I agree, I saw them in 2000 which was good, and 2007 which was bad. There was a whole host of us leaving before the final song finished. In 2007 I saw 4 other bands and they were all much more enjoyable experiences.

Eulogy
09-08-2010, 02:53 PM
With the new members, I don't think throwing out random songs is even possible. I assume with Billy's perfectionist attitude, he requires quite a bit of rehersing before he lets songs be played live. That's part of what makes the new SP sad--I can see him trusting jimmy, james, and d'arcy enough to remember some old school stuff without much relearning... but not these new youngins.

there are plenty of songs that an 8-year-old could learn to play fairly quickly. these are supposedly professional musicians. it's not like d'arcy ever set the world on fire with her technical abilities.

the drumming might suck, but it sucks in every other song, so why not go for it?

Corganist
09-08-2010, 03:16 PM

They supposedly rehearsed a bunch of old songs before this tour, and Billy just didn't feel they fit the vibe he was going for. I don't think it was ever a matter of him lacking trust in the band to learn it right. If that was the case, I don't think they'd be playing stuff like My Love is Winter or Spangled. It takes a lot more trust to play new songs than it does to just learn a couple more obscure classics.

SpFission
09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
I went to a 2000 show, which was crappy.

The one I saw in Boston in 2007 was pretty damn good. But I'm guessing not all the shows were like that.

Astur
09-08-2010, 03:53 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9mA-RmNkiAM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9mA-RmNkiAM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

NO

If you say things like this and post old videos that eyeso fruby guy won't shut up

Pizza Club
09-08-2010, 04:30 PM
All the 2007 shows I saw (4 Asheville, Normal, Indy) were awesome.

soniclovenoize
09-08-2010, 05:47 PM
The thing you guys are forgetting here (if this even applies!) is that the old-school SP would (generally speaking) usually build their set around songs from their latest album with some highlights from the previous album, and maybe one, if at all, from the album before that. They rarely played older material, moving the audience forward with them...

On the MCIS Tour, it was mostly MCIS songs, plus a mix of Siamese; if there was a Gish song in there, that was a treat. The Adore Tour was mostly Adore tracks, some re-arranged MCIS songs, and a Siamese track as a treat; no Gish songs at all.

Of course, for the Arising and Machina tours (and everything this last decade apparently) that ethos of "Let's not revisit the past, this is what we're doing now" went to the wayside. I thought it was a real shame, as I didn't want them to be that band whose set is all The Greatest Hits + one or two Hey Buy Our New Record songs. You all will scoff, but I was NOT impressed with the Machina tour. I sat through the whole show, thinking "Wow, whatthefuck happened here?"

So I vote for playing mostly new songs, with a sprinkle of the past. Fucking prove this material is worth my attention, Billy Corgan. If I wanted your greatest hits, I'd go see that Smashing Pumpkins cover band here in Minneapolis (their bass player auditioned for them, btw).

paranoid
09-08-2010, 07:04 PM
It takes a lot more trust to play new songs than it does to just learn a couple more obscure classics.

have you ever been in a band?

slunken
09-08-2010, 11:45 PM
for the same reason it's safer to hire a bar band playing covers than it is to hire a band playing all original material.

slunken
09-08-2010, 11:47 PM
which is what sp3 has been relegated to.

ava transformer
09-09-2010, 04:59 AM
i was there too.

Monet LSD
09-09-2010, 05:30 AM
no you weren't.

Kahlo
09-09-2010, 06:40 AM
i was there too.

I still want to make love to your avatar

soniclovenoize
09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
I agree, I saw them in 2000 which was good, and 2007 which was bad.
Funny... I saw them in 1996 and 1998 and they were good, and it was the 2000 show I thought was bad.

Slurpee
09-09-2010, 08:44 AM
I went to a 2000 show, which was crappy.

The one I saw in Boston in 2007 was pretty damn good. But I'm guessing not all the shows were like that.

I think those Boston 2007 shows were some of the best, in terms of band and crowd energy. I had an amazing time there. What a surprise - when the band is actually excited to play, everything is great. But I went to see them in Providence a few days later, and there was no energy at all.

Spira|_
09-09-2010, 08:56 AM
.. and they didn't care that the old songs were dramatically reworked. they just loved the music.

I hated it loads.

DaveKShape
09-09-2010, 09:00 AM
this new pumpkins lineup is a joke. let it go already.

paranoid
09-09-2010, 09:09 AM
yes, those boston shows were intense.. i remember thinking 'what is everyone complaining about.' then the band members started blogging that it was some of the best shows of the year so far. must've been a tour from hell.

i noticed though, that if you were in the front 4 rows of that theater, you were loving every second of the show. the rest of the theater only bothered to move during the hits. One guy behind me told his friend he hoped to hear 'mary star of the sea.' his friend asked 'what album is that on?' he replies 'the new one.'

Spira|_
09-09-2010, 09:33 AM

= Drugs and Youth = The magical recipe for all bands...

We will never see this kind of vibe anymore.
As Billy says on Tonight Tonight:
"The more you change
The less you feel "

And as you know with the age we change unconditionally.

bardy
09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
i was there too.

Was your experience a lot different than mine?

wHATcOLOR
09-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I still want to make love to your avatar

her avatar is her

eyesofruby32
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
NO

If you say things like this and post old videos that eyeso fruby guy won't shut up

Haha... Man you're a riot. Hey, I try to avoid living in the past as much as possible, believe me. I'm not condemning people's desires for that classic Pumpkin sound to come buzzing and humming around the corner. I've been listening to Gish and Siamese almost everyday for nearly a month. Love all that stuff. I sold off my Nirvana and Radiohead CD's, among others, but the thought never crossed my mind to sell any Pumpkins.

eyesofruby32
09-09-2010, 05:46 PM
The thing you guys are forgetting here (if this even applies!) is that the old-school SP would (generally speaking) usually build their set around songs from their latest album with some highlights from the previous album, and maybe one, if at all, from the album before that. They rarely played older material, moving the audience forward with them...

On the MCIS Tour, it was mostly MCIS songs, plus a mix of Siamese; if there was a Gish song in there, that was a treat. The Adore Tour was mostly Adore tracks, some re-arranged MCIS songs, and a Siamese track as a treat; no Gish songs at all.

Of course, for the Arising and Machina tours (and everything this last decade apparently) that ethos of "Let's not revisit the past, this is what we're doing now" went to the wayside. I thought it was a real shame, as I didn't want them to be that band whose set is all The Greatest Hits + one or two Hey Buy Our New Record songs. You all will scoff, but I was NOT impressed with the Machina tour. I sat through the whole show, thinking "Wow, whatthefuck happened here?"

So I vote for playing mostly new songs, with a sprinkle of the past. Fucking prove this material is worth my attention, Billy Corgan. If I wanted your greatest hits, I'd go see that Smashing Pumpkins cover band here in Minneapolis (their bass player auditioned for them, btw).

Most definitely. I went to one show, Portland ME, November 4, '96. It was an awesome show, loud as hell. But their set that night was pretty much all Siamese/MCIS:

Set:

01 Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
02 Where Boys Fear to Tread
03 Zero
04 Fuck You
05 To Forgive
06 Today
07 Tonight, Tonight
08 Thru the Eyes of Ruby
09 Drown
Hummer (tease)
10 Siva
11 Disarm
12 Bullet with Butterfly Wings
13 Cherub Rock
14 Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Rocket

Encore One:
01 [banter]
02 X.Y.U.

Encore Two:
03 1979
04 Silverfuck

I regret being so high that night. Now, I can barely remember any details about it. I didn't get to see the banished Jimmy drum that night. The X.Y.U. jam was immense. Billy had glam pants.

If I were going to a SP show tonight, I'd want to hear a couple Teargarden songs, and then a smorgasbord of tracks spanning Gish to Machina. I've missed out on various Boston shows over the years, a Zwan show included. That's what I get for chasing weed and women. Somehow, I went to a TFE show at the Avalon in Boston in '05, and that show was really good.

eyesofruby32
09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
= Drugs and Youth = The magical recipe for all bands...

We will never see this kind of vibe anymore.
As Billy says on Tonight Tonight:
"The more you change
The less you feel "

And as you know with the age we change unconditionally.

You couldn't have said it any better.

MonteLDS
09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
i think it can be simply said that a large amount of people here are out of touch with the present and are turning into old farts who just want things the way they were in the "good old days"

as for what bardy, when I finish editing the Sac video show and post it online everyone can judge for them self.

the current band is full of real great people.

paranoid
09-09-2010, 10:48 PM
i think it can be simply said that a large amount of people here are out of touch with the present and are turning into old farts who just want things the way they were in the "good old days"

as for what bardy, when I finish editing the Sac video show and post it online everyone can judge for them self.

i never thought in 1996, or 2000, or fuck 2008 for that matter that being in touch with the present meant paying to see billy play the same 10 hits that made him popular in the 1990's.. and a few new mediocre songs being played by mediocre musicians. or seeing him sing over a backing track of a song 18 years past its prime. but if that is being in touch with the present these days, then yes, i'm out of touch!

i'm sorry, but i get thrilled about seeing new material that is FUCKING GOOD. I'm not interested in seeing Billy play songs I've already seen him play live a handful of times in the past.. but I guess that is the difference between you and I, isn't it?

And yes, i'm sure they're nice, good people. but as fans we're not paying to hang out with them.

MonteLDS
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
i never thought in 1996, or 2000, or fuck 2008 for that matter that being in touch with the present meant paying to see billy play the same 10 hits that made him popular in the 1990's.. and a few new mediocre songs being played by mediocre musicians. or seeing him sing over a backing track of a song 18 years past its prime. but if that is being in touch with the present these days, then yes, i'm out of touch!

i'm sorry, but i get thrilled about seeing new material that is FUCKING GOOD. I'm not interested in seeing Billy play songs I've already seen him play live a handful of times in the past.. but I guess that is the difference between you and I, isn't it?

And yes, i'm sure they're nice, good people. but as fans we're not paying to hang out with them.

How about you and 999 other people put down $500 each and then Billy can play whatever you want.

until then you are just going get what you get.

I wonder if U2 fans are as bitter about when U2 played this setlist recently.. Maybe they are all up in arms that they are playing Pride and With Or Without You so many years later

Return Of The Stingray Guitar
Beautiful Day / Always Forever Now (snippet)
New Year's Day
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways / My Sweet Lord (snippet)
Elevation
Until The End Of The World
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
In A Little While
Miss Sarajevo
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / John I'm Only Dancing (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Get Up Stand Up (snippet)
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Yiğidim Aslanım Burda Yatıyor
Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):
One
Amazing Grace (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender

ava transformer
09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
i was on a high that day from winning the radio contest & seeing them in a space the size of a bedroom & billy's reaction to first seeing me.

"hey baby, where you been, haven't seen you in a while" then him giving me a big hug.
i also got to chat with him after soundcheck.

as far as the show goes it was my first since the 20th anniversary shows & for me the shows are about seeing old friends, making new friends, hearing some favorite songs.i have long given up on setting my hopes on what i wish they would play. i am just happy with not hearing "1979", since i hate that song. i have realized that at this point in time people can either see the show, accept that is not the original band & deal with it, or just don't go to the show.i go because of what the music means to me still to this day . would i love for it to be all original members or even jimmy still there? yes, of course. but i still support because i got all these damn tattoos.lol

i will say i miss the old "united states" & "as rome burns" , and i think they could alternate some different classics, but i think it was a good show. if you have lowered expectations you are pleasantly surprised.

killtrocity
09-09-2010, 11:03 PM

you know shit is bad when this is the best thing Monte has to say about the band

ava transformer
09-09-2010, 11:08 PM
p.s

at the petaluma soundcheck they played half of"set the ray" when i asked for it, minus bass because nicole doesn't know it. but for me it was awesome because i always wanted to hear that song & they played it for me. so i can't complain.

ava transformer
09-09-2010, 11:09 PM
it is odd seeing my real first name with monte's username.

paranoid
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
How about you and 999 other people put down $500 each and then Billy can play whatever you want.

until then you are just going get what you get.

I wonder if U2 fans are as bitter about when U2 played this setlist recently.. Maybe they are all up in arms that they are playing Pride and With Or Without You so many years later

Return Of The Stingray Guitar
Beautiful Day / Always Forever Now (snippet)
New Year's Day
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways / My Sweet Lord (snippet)
Elevation
Until The End Of The World
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
In A Little While
Miss Sarajevo
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / John I'm Only Dancing (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Get Up Stand Up (snippet)
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Yiğidim Aslanım Burda Yatıyor
Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):
One
Amazing Grace (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender

at least U2 fans aren't fucking stupid enough to claim that they are living in the present and pushing far ahead into the future.

Spira|_
09-10-2010, 04:52 AM

When are you putting this online? How will we know? Make a new thread here after? (flames? who cares ;) )

Cool As Ice Cream
09-10-2010, 05:50 AM
But their set that night was pretty much all Siamese/MCIS:

what? no adore or machina? that's unheard of. you should've asked your money back.

Slurpee
09-10-2010, 09:00 AM
if you have lowered expectations you are pleasantly surprised.

Can we make this the official Smashing Pumpkins motto? Someone photoshop this text going around the outline of the SP Heart.

ava transformer
09-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Can we make this the official Smashing Pumpkins motto? Someone photoshop this text going around the outline of the SP Heart.

i am glad you like.

eyesofruby32
09-10-2010, 03:21 PM
what? no adore or machina? that's unheard of. you should've asked your money back.

Didi you notice the show I listed was in '96? The second and so far last Maine show SP played? What I meant was that Gish was basically ignored in this set. They played Siva and Drown. Trust me, I would have gone to an Adore or Machina show if I had the chance to. Love your sarcasm though.

Cool As Ice Cream
09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Didi you notice the show I listed was in '96?

Yes, I didi. ;)

eyesofruby32
09-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Yes, I didi. ;)

Seeing an MCIS show was great and all, but I would love to have gone to an Adore Tour show. Mike Garson was really good for those songs and the overall atmosphere.

slunken
09-11-2010, 12:06 PM
So what stopped you?

eyesofruby32
09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
So what stopped you?

Well, I guess what stopped me was that a) they must have played a Boston area show or two, which I missed, and b) I was in college at the time, and spent too much time with my then-girlfriend, smoking weed and just partying in general. I loved SP, but I wanted more weed, beer, and bed time with my girl. And that might have been fun, but now when I hear, for instance, the Fox Theatre-Atlanta show from August '98, I think to myself "they must have played at a high level like this almost every night of the tour." And then I think, "how the hell could I have missed any shows on the Northeast swing?" The Adore shows, from what I've heard through boots, are some of the best live performances in rock, ever, IMO. Just seems like there was a different energy going on during that tour.

Eulogy
09-11-2010, 12:32 PM
p.s

at the petaluma soundcheck they played half of"set the ray" when i asked for it, minus bass because nicole doesn't know it. but for me it was awesome because i always wanted to hear that song & they played it for me. so i can't complain.

is she a retard? it's like four notes.

redbull
09-11-2010, 12:48 PM
i find set the ray to actually be pretty difficult to play in time/with the correct syncopation and all

Eulogy
09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
i find set the ray to actually be pretty difficult to play in time/with the correct syncopation and all

really? seems fairly straightforward to me. rhythm was never my problem though.

redbull
09-11-2010, 01:10 PM
mostly the transition from the verse into the chorus is what throws me. I'm a terrible guitarist though

Eulogy
09-11-2010, 01:13 PM
mostly the transition from the verse into the chorus is what throws me. I'm a terrible guitarist though

durr we were talking about the bassline

which i don't think is syncopated at any point? but then again i'm a technical retard when it comes to music terminology sooooooo i have no idea.

original point: strtj bassline is not difficult.

eyesofruby32
09-11-2010, 01:15 PM

What kind of style do you play? Blues-based? Shred? Punk rock? Jazz?

redbull
09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
get stoned in the basement, hook up a 10 watt practice amp, and see what comes out style

eyesofruby32
09-11-2010, 01:36 PM
get stoned in the basement, hook up a 10 watt practice amp, and see what comes out style

Nothing wrong with that.

eyesofruby32
09-11-2010, 01:39 PM
durr we were talking about the bassline

which i don't think is syncopated at any point? but then again i'm a technical retard when it comes to music terminology sooooooo i have no idea.

original point: strtj bassline is not difficult.

Sort of a chromatic run, to my ears.

samuel redman
09-11-2010, 07:20 PM
p.s

she couldnt play a popular song like that? and Bill is claiming this band isn't just hired guns? even ginger could get it down

stumpycat
09-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Just seems like there was a different energy going on during that tour.

IMO during this period Billy was somewhat more of a humbled and down-to-earth person (likely due to recent life circumstances) and it showed through the type of music and energy they shared with the crowds. Unlike simply talking about a positive energy, there really was a positive energy.