View Full Version : Question

eyesofruby32
09-02-2010, 08:44 PM
So I won't post up my fuckin' MCIS review. Thanks.

soniclovenoize
09-02-2010, 09:05 PM
That's because Mellon Collie is over-rated.

eyesofruby32
09-02-2010, 09:13 PM
That's because Mellon Collie is over-rated.

Awww, come on man, take the wind out of my sails! I think the singles themselves might be overrated, but the bulk of the album tracks are what makes it, to me, a great album.

slunken
09-02-2010, 09:19 PM
The reason for this is the complete lack of any interesting or in-depth material regarding MCIS, at least from what I have seen. The reviews and articles I've read about the album are shallow and ignore the key album tracks not issued as singles.

There are some fantastic in-depth Billy interviews from this era that give us more info on MCIS than probably any other album. There was even a track-by-track interview about TAFH.

Ignore reviews and go for interviews.

Catherine Wheel
09-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I think the second disk is close to perfect. I mostly have issues with the first disk. To me Bullet, Zero, and Take Me Down are pretty weak.

Shallowed
09-02-2010, 09:35 PM
It should have fucking been a fucking single disc album like nearly any fucking double album out there.

Catherine Wheel
09-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I wish Set The Ray To Jerry or Cherry had replaced Beautiful. That would make the second disc absolutely perfect.

eyesofruby32
09-02-2010, 09:41 PM
There are some fantastic in-depth Billy interviews from this era that give us more info on MCIS than probably any other album. There was even a track-by-track interview about TAFH.

Thanks. I have a good interview from the December 1995 Guitar World. BC really gets into good detail about some of his gear and the studio techniques. Guitar Player has a good interview from around this time as well. The track-by-track TAFH interview sounds interesting.

eyesofruby32
09-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I think the second disk is close to perfect. I mostly have issues with the first disk. To me Bullet, Zero, and Take Me Down are pretty weak.

The first disc has a couple of weak spots, for sure. I think "Jellybelly," "Fuck You," "Muzzle," and "Porcelina" balance it out well. But stuff like "To Forgive" and "Here Is No Why" is excellent.

Twilight To Starlight is pretty heavy in mood and sound, until the last handful of songs, where it mellows down quick. Without the quieter, schmaltzier, trippy stuff though, MCIS would get boring.

eyesofruby32
09-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I wish Set The Ray To Jerry or Cherry had replaced Beautiful. That would make the second disc absolutely perfect.

Set The Ray is great, but it sounds like it needs that huge MCIS-kind of production to be able to stand up with the rest of the songs. It has a weird sparseness to it.

Sonic Johnny
09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
title of thread is "Question"

thread categorically does not deliver.

Rickpat12
09-02-2010, 10:25 PM

don't know how I missed this. Got a link for the TAFH interview?

redbull
09-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Feb '97 Guitar World. SPFC should have all the blurbs

slunken
09-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I used to have a big binder (I mean like 300+ pages) full of printouts from, say, Nikki's Newstand and stuff like that I printed out during high school. It's long gone and I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for this stuff anymore.

I remember when I threw it away I was like "Uh, why do I have this when it's all on the internet" and now I can't find the most of it anywhere.

Remember when people would take the time to transcribe radio interviews? Or even re-type magazine articles. Those were the days.

soniclovenoize
09-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Awww, come on man, take the wind out of my sails! I think the singles themselves might be overrated, but the bulk of the album tracks are what makes it, to me, a great album.

I say this because I recently revisited this album, and it really didn't hold up for me. I thought it was the shit when I was 16, but now... The songs are well written but the mix is muddy, the drums are too far back and the performances are not as tight as they could be. It's like they put a lot of work into the songs that were to be pushed as singles, best the rest of the album was rushed through. I wouldn't be surprised if they made 60 test mixes of Bullet, but In The Arms of Sleep is like the original rough mix Flood made at 4am, you know?

TuralyonW3
09-02-2010, 10:42 PM
MCIS is my favorite album. "Beautiful" is the only track I don't really care for.

killtrocity
09-02-2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.awesomeoff.com/images/entries/mainview/dwight.jpg

slunken
09-03-2010, 12:34 AM
I do not wish to be part of a world where watching reruns of The Office is at all relevant.

Spira|_
09-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Come on Beautiful is amazing!
Take me Down is the weakest track. isnt even ok..

This is gold:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lEsW1kJvJfQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lEsW1kJvJfQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

MCIS is my nš1 album of all time.

Slurpee
09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
There are 28 songs on the album so it's going to be rare that someone loves every single goddamn one. But if most people like 24 or so that's pretty fucking good.

Love is kind of a silly song btw and obviously should have been replaced by Marquis in Spades. Also switch "To Forgive" with "HINW" so we go Bullet -> HINW -> Fuck You -> MIS. I think I'm going to go make that playlist right now and see if it works.

Cool As Ice Cream
09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
fun fun fun!

Cool As Ice Cream
09-03-2010, 09:50 AM
ps what's hinw?
pps stop inventing abbrevs for songs aight? it's fucking obnoxious. i'm going to kill you. i know where you live (in breakfast).

Slurpee
09-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Guess what? It works.

Slurpee
09-03-2010, 09:52 AM
ps what's hinw?
pps stop inventing abbrevs for songs aight? it's fucking obnoxious. i'm going to kill you. i know where you live (in breakfast).

Breakfast is actually an abbreviation.

eyesofruby32
09-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I say this because I recently revisited this album, and it really didn't hold up for me. I thought it was the shit when I was 16, but now... The songs are well written but the mix is muddy, the drums are too far back and the performances are not as tight as they could be. It's like they put a lot of work into the songs that were to be pushed as singles, best the rest of the album was rushed through. I wouldn't be surprised if they made 60 test mixes of Bullet, but In The Arms of Sleep is like the original rough mix Flood made at 4am, you know?

I can see your point. You know, your sitting there, playing Doom II, with MCIS and Foo Fighters in some kind of rotation in your CD player, and the album sounds immense. When I hear it now, there is a weird vibe I get, as thought this music was made for seventeen-year olds. So being 32, I love just about everything MCIS has to offer, but it sounds slightly different to me now than it did in 1995.

eyesofruby32
09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah, there might be 3-4 songs I don't care much for- Zero, Love, X.Y.U., and We Only Come Out At Night. Zero is overplayed, Love is lyrically shallow, X.Y.U. is too repetitive with that huge riff, and We Only Come Out doesn't seem to flow with any of the other songs.

eyesofruby32
09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
MCIS is my favorite album. "Beautiful" is the only track I don't really care for.

Seems like some of my old girlfriends always loved this song. One chick even framed a photo of her and I at a beach, and in the wide matte edge, wrote out the complete lyrics to the song. Needless to say we broke up a couple of years later, and I gave the photo and frame back to her. Love, love, it's who you know.

soniclovenoize
09-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I can see your point. You know, your sitting there, playing Doom II, with MCIS and Foo Fighters in some kind of rotation in your CD player, and the album sounds immense. When I hear it now, there is a weird vibe I get, as thought this music was made for seventeen-year olds. So being 32, I love just about everything MCIS has to offer, but it sounds slightly different to me now than it did in 1995.

Doom II? Try fucking Final Fantasy 3 for me!

So next year, when you're 33, are you going to change your screen name to eyesofruby33?

lucid_interval
09-03-2010, 06:52 PM
title of thread is "Question"

thread categorically does not deliver.

not just that but even in the OPs thread he only tells us what he's done rather than actually posting it, pointless.

applepwnz
09-03-2010, 09:25 PM
ps what's hinw?

Here Is No Why

eyesofruby32
09-03-2010, 09:26 PM
not just that but even in the OPs thread he only tells us what he's done rather than actually posting it, pointless.

Who cares? Get a fuckin' life. Get out of your mother's basement and get a life.

eyesofruby32
09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Doom II? Try fucking Final Fantasy 3 for me!

So next year, when you're 33, are you going to change your screen name to eyesofruby33?

Haha, I think I'll just keep the 32. I never played FF3, but I know it was huge. My brothers always had Doom II, Quake, etc. going on the PC. The first Playstation also came out around the time of MCIS; I still have a really bad hockey game for that system.

EyesOfAJackal
09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
replaced Beautiful. That would make the second disc absolutely perfect.

Out of curiosity, do you feel differently about the live version that was posted?

lucid_interval
09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Who cares? Get a fuckin' life. Get out of your mother's basement and get a life.

so no review then? pretty lame hissy fit just because i pointed something out :rolleyes:

eyesofruby32
09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
so no review then? pretty lame hissy fit just because i pointed something out :rolleyes:

Maybe it'll happen. No one seems to care. I get called a stupid cunt by some shitface. That was no hissy fit man. That was nothing. I could have gone off. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Excuse me if I come off like some asshole, and I sincerely mean this. I guess to engage in talk here, you have to be an asshole, right? I knew this would be a bad idea; the optimist in me decided to ask the "Question." Hope everyone had fun with this. What a fuckin' downer.

Catherine Wheel
09-03-2010, 11:34 PM
The live version of Beautiful is quite nice.

aomb1979
09-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Love is lyrically shallow

no no no no a thousand times no

Cade McNown
09-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Beautiful is my favorite SP song why all the bashing?

eyesofruby32
09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
no no no no a thousand times no

With Love, I think the music itself is actually pretty good, with the heavy flanging and phasing effects going along to a heavy beat. It's another experimental thing on an album full of non-traditional songs and instruments (in rock anyway). The guitar solo has a purposefully harsh tone that belongs in a song like this. The words aren't all that bad, it's just that against some other songs with stronger lyrics, Love seems pedestrian. It seems like over the years, some critics and/or fans have blasted the lyrics in MCIS. I think Corgan wrote some of his best lyrics on this album.

eyesofruby32
09-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Beautiful is my favorite SP song why all the bashing?

People are afraid to say that a cute and cuddly song is good. Beautiful is awesome right where it is: toward the end of Twilight To Starlight, surrounded by playful, mellow stuff. Beautiful and By Starlight are the best tracks, IMO, of the few near the end.

Catherine Wheel
09-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Love is a great song but it just doesn't seem like it fits on the album. It's very industrial sounding. Like something Nine Inch Nails might do.

eyesofruby32
09-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Love is a great song but it just doesn't seem like it fits on the album. It's very industrial sounding. Like something Nine Inch Nails might do.

Right? Dark industrial feel. Although NIN stuff sounds way, way more caustic.

Catherine Wheel
09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I think both Love and Beautiful sound very out of place on Mellon Collie. They have an electronic feel whereas most of the rest of the album is either hard rock, grunge, dream-pop or acoustic sounding.

eyesofruby32
09-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I think both Love and Beautiful sound very out of place on Mellon Collie. They have an electronic feel whereas most of the rest of the album is either hard rock, grunge, or dream-pop sounding.

I agree. Beautiful is electronic soft pop, somewhat in the vein of Thirty-Three. But Thirty-Three has the classic Pumpkin sound, with what sounds like a treated sitar drone along with the whimsical, hooky piano line, whereas Beautiful feels like a Prince outtake from the mid-'80's or something. MCIS is so eclectic. It takes you from one place to another. Love sort of goes in with the heavy, edgy, galactic, apocalyptic aspect of the album (Jellybelly, Bodies, Tales Of A Scorched Earth, X.Y.U., etc.).

Cade McNown
09-05-2010, 11:50 PM
That is the exact reason MCIS is my favorite album and the reason the Pumpkins are my favorite band. They have such a wide range, and can have songs like Beautiful and Jellybelly on the same album.

eyesofruby32
09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
That is the exact reason MCIS is my favorite album and the reason the Pumpkins are my favorite band. They have such a wide range, and can have songs like Beautiful and Jellybelly on the same album.

They were, and still are to some degree, musically diverse in a way that few of their peers could match. MCIS is just a blast. Songs For A Sailor sort of revives the eclectic tradition of SP. Still can't understand all the "Songs..." bashing going on.

Kahlo
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Remember when people would take the time to transcribe radio interviews? Or even re-type magazine articles. Those were the days.

I don't know why, but now I feel very old and very sad thinking about 90s Pumpkin fandom :cry:

eyesofruby32
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
http://www.groovy-layouts.com/Images/Fun/Crazy/images/girl-you-crazy.gif

What the hell is this?

Kahlo
09-07-2010, 05:45 PM
glittery eye cancer

eyesofruby32
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Is this really another discussion about MCIS?? This could make it better, they should have left this out, the interview sucks, the reviews were bad. Are your lives REALLY that empty? That you are really discussing this???

It's not that my life is empty. It's actually very, very busy. One day I was bored, had some time to kill, and made this ill-fated proposal to put in my two cents on MCIS, just for the hell of it. I had no idea I'd be attacked by a bunch of piranhas (well, the good people here actually engaged in intelligent conversation with me, which validates that all the fucking scum here are just disgruntled, pissy, Pumpkin fans who can't stand change, who can't stand musical evolution).

I'm here to talk about Pumpkins music/historical things, not irrelevant and near-sighted bullshit coming from the minds of some seriously sick people.

And by the way, don't worry. I'm not going to waste my time any further in posting an "MCIS Review."

soniclovenoize
09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
flspnut is a troll, just ignore.

eyesofruby32
09-07-2010, 06:19 PM
flspnut is a troll, just ignore.

Haha

Astur
09-10-2010, 09:29 AM
you have a very empty life that needs to be filled with something

suggestions

soniclovenoize
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
He is not a troll and yes if you are still discussing what songs should have been or shouldn't have been on MCIS, you have an empty life. If all you can think about to discuss is MCIS, you have a very empty life that needs to be filled with something. So you come in here and start a discussion about MCIS. You are a looooossser.

Refered to in third person? Interesting...

FlspnutIsCool
09-10-2010, 02:54 PM
He is not a troll and yes if you are still discussing what songs should have been or shouldn't have been on MCIS, you have an empty life. If all you can think about to discuss is MCIS, you have a very empty life that needs to be filled with something. So you come in here and start a discussion about MCIS. You are a looooossser.

you tell'em flspnut, what a fucking badass

eyesofruby32
09-10-2010, 04:31 PM
And you totally redeem yourself!