View Full Version : “I will never get up on a stage and do what people want me to do”

paranoid
08-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Billy Corgan rebuilds his Pumpkins empire - Entertainment - The Orange County Register (http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/pumpkins-263438-corgan-smashing.html)

eyesofruby32
08-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm glad he's explaining himself a little more.

duovamp
08-24-2010, 07:47 PM
What if I want him to do what I don't want him to do...?

duovamp
08-24-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm totally beyond the beyond.

pale_princess
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
same old shit he always says.

article would be better if titled Bill Defecates All Over His Pumpkins Empire

paranoid
08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
I will never get up on a stage and do what people want me to do... so on a nightly basis I will play Cherub Rock, Today, Disarm, BWBW, 1979, Zero, TT, Ava Adore, Perfect, SIYL... because that s totally opposite of what people want me to do!

Lobster
08-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Oh, he is such a rebel...

whorebucket
08-25-2010, 04:26 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W4SLXaF-lIc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W4SLXaF-lIc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mickyshambles
08-25-2010, 06:51 AM
I will never get up on a stage and do what people want me to do... so on a nightly basis I will play Cherub Rock, Today, Disarm, BWBW, 1979, Zero, TT, Ava Adore, Perfect, SIYL... because that s totally opposite of what people want me to do!

you didn't want him to play widow on leno but, guess what, he did.

it's not all about your faggy "oh no, he's playing his singles again!" internet world.
you applying your typical internet saddo nonsense to everything he says is boring as fuck.

shut the fuck up. you're mundane.

same goes for that whale princess bitch.

Astur
08-25-2010, 07:11 AM
http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/article/l7o7h1-l7o7gucorgancrop.jpg

MYSTICAL MOLESTER WILL NEVER GIVE UP

exactlythesame
08-25-2010, 09:22 AM
you didn't want him to play widow on leno but, guess what, he did.

it's not all about your faggy "oh no, he's playing his singles again!" internet world.
you applying your typical internet saddo nonsense to everything he says is boring as fuck.

shut the fuck up. you're mundane.

same goes for that whale princess bitch.

someone left his tampon in too long

Mike Byrne
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Didn't see this until just now. Good interview, very Billy. There's some exciting things happening right now that I think a lot of the fans will like. Billy's always been ahead of the curve.

Ihaguitar
08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Didn't see this until just now. Good interview, very Billy. There's some exciting things happening right now that I think a lot of the fans will like. Billy's always been ahead of the curve.

What curve? The one down the back of the toilet?

More meaningless yadda yadda from Billy fresh from the sewer.

Venom
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Didn't see this until just now. Good interview, very Billy.
Yeah, and that's the problem. :rolleyes:

There's some exciting things happening right now that I think a lot of the fans will like.
Yawn. Heard this shit before, so whatever helps Billy sleep at night. He assumes we'll like it but in reality it'll probably be mediocre bullcrap like he's released so far. He really needs to learn how to admit defeat and put himself in the state of mind to deliver the goods, not bullcrap.

Billy's always been ahead of the curve.
Heard this bullshit before too, but the products he delivers says otherwise. If he wants to continue with the crap he's putting out right now, then I suggest he invents a time machine and goes back to the 1970s where it could be relevant (and horrible crushed by greats like Zeppelin and Floyd). He may of been ahead of the curve at one time in the 1990s, but not he's just a washed up, middle aged man whom is relevance is only cemented by the band name - ironically the band he's the only original member left of... and the sad part is he knows this yet he chooses to live in denial re-enforced by spiritual 'awakening'. By using the name of the Smashing Pumpkins he IS living in the past, what do you expect fans to say and think and want? They don't want the new shit, they want the good shit from the good ol' days otherwise he can change the name of the fucking band or go solo again. He may not like the fans wanting to revisit the past by playing Siamese Dream and MCIS songs, but for fuck's sake would it kill him to fucking play Hello Kitty Kat and Quiet live? Seriously? A lot of bands and artists have NO problem whatsoever with their fans requesting and wanting the songs from their back catalogs, it really shouldn't bother him, should it? He wrote it, he recorded it, he released it. It's there and if someone in the audience yells to play Hummer, why the fuck not ya know? He lets this shit and lets those songs bother him when they shouldn't.

I find it amusing you choose to be blinded to this as you're like a fucking leech on Billy's shriveled nutsack as much as you are. Then again, he's the one who signs your checks, right? Learn how to drum and shut your piehole like the little Jimmy wannabe you are, m'kay?

P.S. Fucking do the intro to Cherub Rock correctly when playing it live, faggot. Don't butcher that damn song's intro.

eyesofruby32
08-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah, and that's the problem. :rolleyes:

Yawn. Heard this shit before, so whatever helps Billy sleep at night. He assumes we'll like it but in reality it'll probably be mediocre bullcrap like he's released so far. He really needs to learn how to admit defeat and put himself in the state of mind to deliver the goods, not bullcrap.

Heard this bullshit before too, but the products he delivers says otherwise. If he wants to continue with the crap he's putting out right now, then I suggest he invents a time machine and goes back to the 1970s where it could be relevant (and horrible crushed by greats like Zeppelin and Floyd). He may of been ahead of the curve at one time in the 1990s, but not he's just a washed up, middle aged man whom is relevance is only cemented by the band name - ironically the band he's the only original member left of... and the sad part is he knows this yet he chooses to live in denial re-enforced by spiritual 'awakening'. By using the name of the Smashing Pumpkins he IS living in the past, what do you expect fans to say and think and want? They don't want the new shit, they want the good shit from the good ol' days otherwise he can change the name of the fucking band or go solo again. He may not like the fans wanting to revisit the past by playing Siamese Dream and MCIS songs, but for fuck's sake would it kill him to fucking play Hello Kitty Kat and Quiet live? Seriously? A lot of bands and artists have NO problem whatsoever with their fans requesting and wanting the songs from their back catalogs, it really shouldn't bother him, should it? He wrote it, he recorded it, he released it. It's there and if someone in the audience yells to play Hummer, why the fuck not ya know? He lets this shit and lets those songs bother him when they shouldn't.

I find it amusing you choose to be blinded to this as you're like a fucking leech on Billy's shriveled nutsack as much as you are. Then again, he's the one who signs your checks, right? Learn how to drum and shut your piehole like the little Jimmy wannabe you are, m'kay?

P.S. Fucking do the intro to Cherub Rock correctly when playing it live, faggot. Don't butcher that damn song's intro.

Byrne would kick your bullshit purist ass. Shut the fuck up and leave the kid alone.

Venom
08-25-2010, 05:33 PM
LOL, like to see him try. He brought it all upon himself by posting here - he's fair game. With that said, fuck off. If you or anyone else doesn't like my honest opinion, tough shit. And I'm not the only one who feels like this. Go back to the o-board and worship your false idol.

eyesofruby32
08-25-2010, 08:33 PM
LOL, like to see him try. He brought it all upon himself by posting here - he's fair game. With that said, fuck off. If you or anyone else doesn't like my honest opinion, tough shit. And I'm not the only one who feels like this. Go back to the o-board and worship your false idol.

An opinion is an opinion, but come on man, seriously? To bring yourself down to an eighth-grade level when talking about a twenty year-old drummer in a reformed classic '90's band is pretty lame, don't you think? It's not his fault JC was fired or whatever. BC doesn't just grab any regular musician off the street; he has auditions for a reason. Also take note: I don't have any false idols, let alone real ones.

redbull
08-25-2010, 09:12 PM
if billy had auditions, john dolmayan would be drumming for SP right now

Venom
08-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I'd hardly call it a 'reformed' band. It's just a band using the SP name while it's really been reduced to a solo act. Doesn't matter if Billy more or less recorded the 'classic' albums because those albums were damn good. How did he accomplish this? He was somewhat suicidal during the SD era and dealing with various issues and depression when writing those songs. Since his 'spiritual awakening' he's written and recorded nothing but crap - it's the quality of the work of recent times that matters. Billy has lost his touch. Sorry, but it's true. He needs to SUFFER to SUCCEED, as already discussed before over and over. :dammit:

If he wants to do what he wants on stage and completely ignore the fans and their wishes, that's his prerogative. Don't be surprised if he alienates the fans he has left who go to those shows hoping the band plays something actually worth listening to, instead of suffering through crap like Widow Wake My Mind. Again, they should play Hello Kitty Kat or Quiet, at least those songs are fun. Would I pay to see them perform live with the current setlist? No. Not until obscure, deep tracks from the back catalog are performed live.

Mike unfortunately got caught in the crossfire when posting the Billy's propaganda by saying there's 'exciting' things the fans will like. I'm sorry, but Billy doesn't even KNOW what the damn fans would like much less want. Obviously so with the 5 songs released thus far and the reactions here from them. Sure, sure that's his creative freedom but damn man, you can't just ignore the fans. They're what makes you a success. Whatever else I said about Mike, it's not like anyone hasn't thought or said it before. I find his drumming sub-par (although I admit he's improving as time passes) and I find his rendition of Cherub Rock's intro lazy. I don't apologize for my words, I stand by them.

F.Y.I. John Dolmayan is a damn good drummer. His work with SOAD is damn impressive, unfortunately it was just not meant to be. I actually got excited when I saw the pictures of his 'audition'.

I said what I have to say.

applepwnz
08-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Sorry, but it's true. He needs to SUFFER to SUCCEED, as already discussed before over and over. :dammit:

Exactly, someone needs to start a campaign to get him back on the drugs

Venom
08-25-2010, 11:33 PM
We need the scourge of the Earth called Courtney Love to make his life hell. Normally I wouldn't wish that on anyone but Billy is an exception.

Gish08
08-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Why do people even waste their time interviewing this dumbfuck anymore.

Yes, Billy... once you were commended for doing what you wanted to do. Not anymore. Get over it. Broadcasting to the world how you think won't change anything if you suck.

slunken
08-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Have you guys ever heard the expression "Billy Bad-Ass"? I tell you - they ain't talking about Kurt Cobain.

Trotskilicious
08-26-2010, 01:28 AM
you know it would be really cool to be able to go on stage and have people want you to do things that you made that make them happy

with all his new age holistic bullshit how come he can't fucking figure this one thing out

slunken
08-26-2010, 01:33 AM
I ain't paying $40 to watch him drink green tea and tweet about antiques all night.

eyesofruby32
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
I'd hardly call it a 'reformed' band. It's just a band using the SP name while it's really been reduced to a solo act. Doesn't matter if Billy more or less recorded the 'classic' albums because those albums were damn good. How did he accomplish this? He was somewhat suicidal during the SD era and dealing with various issues and depression when writing those songs. Since his 'spiritual awakening' he's written and recorded nothing but crap - it's the quality of the work of recent times that matters. Billy has lost his touch. Sorry, but it's true. He needs to SUFFER to SUCCEED, as already discussed before over and over. :dammit:

If he wants to do what he wants on stage and completely ignore the fans and their wishes, that's his prerogative. Don't be surprised if he alienates the fans he has left who go to those shows hoping the band plays something actually worth listening to, instead of suffering through crap like Widow Wake My Mind. Again, they should play Hello Kitty Kat or Quiet, at least those songs are fun. Would I pay to see them perform live with the current setlist? No. Not until obscure, deep tracks from the back catalog are performed live.

Mike unfortunately got caught in the crossfire when posting the Billy's propaganda by saying there's 'exciting' things the fans will like. I'm sorry, but Billy doesn't even KNOW what the damn fans would like much less want. Obviously so with the 5 songs released thus far and the reactions here from them. Sure, sure that's his creative freedom but damn man, you can't just ignore the fans. They're what makes you a success. Whatever else I said about Mike, it's not like anyone hasn't thought or said it before. I find his drumming sub-par (although I admit he's improving as time passes) and I find his rendition of Cherub Rock's intro lazy. I don't apologize for my words, I stand by them.

F.Y.I. John Dolmayan is a damn good drummer. His work with SOAD is damn impressive, unfortunately it was just not meant to be. I actually got excited when I saw the pictures of his 'audition'.

I said what I have to say.

As in "reformed," I mean all the side-players. But I agree, it does seem more like a solo act with the SP name attached. When I think of Pumpkins, I think of JC's power jazz-rock drums, James' supportive sound, and D'Arcy's insistent bass. But is it 1995? Far from it. One thing that is lost on some people is the fact that BC created the Pumpkins as a band that would continually evolve into something different with each record. What you're seeing now, despite the absence of Jimmy, James, and D'Arcy, is Billy trying to keep this tradition going, for better or worse. Personally, I like the new stuff. Part of me wishes it had more of that mid-'90's feel and sound, but it is what it is. It's post-Mellon Collie Pumpkins- heavily delayed, sustained guitars with a mix of authentic and computerized drums.

I'm always willing to give a young, inexperienced musician (inexperience with being in an internationally known band) the benefit of the doubt. There aren't many Jimmy Chamberlins around; drummers that talented are just few and far between. If Mike is a dedicated musician, he will improve.

Astur
08-26-2010, 05:45 PM
It's post-Mellon Collie Pumpkins- heavily delayed, sustained guitars with a mix of authentic and computerized drums.

uh, no

though that description would go well with half of the machina recordings and adore and the like, it doesn't have a thing to do with Zeitgeist, much less Songs for a Sailor.

nofix
08-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Too bad he's being paid to do what people want.

Marqués
08-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I can't believe people really think that's Mike Byrne.

paranoid
08-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I can't believe people really think that's Mike Byrne.

I was going to say this thread would be hilarious if it really was him. but oh well.

Dogfighter28
08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
mike byrne is only allowed outside of his quarters twice daily and sure as hell doesn't have access to the outside world

Ihaguitar
08-27-2010, 01:05 AM
So why did Billy allow all the different versions of Zeitgeist?? He didnt sell out? He fucking tried to but nobody was buying it. What a complete tit.

eyesofruby32
08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
uh, no

though that description would go well with half of the machina recordings and adore and the like, it doesn't have a thing to do with Zeitgeist, much less Songs for a Sailor.

When I listen to some Songs For A Sailor stuff, I can hear loud and clear those ringing, echoed, guitar harmonics. It's almost the same sound heard all over "thefutureembrace." "Zeitgeist" doesn't have as much of that sound, I'll agree to that.