View Full Version : cool thing i dug up (pre-gish antecdotes)

redbull
08-24-2010, 06:34 PM
while looking for info on some shows...a tour rider from 1991

openingbands.com (http://openingbands.com/forums/viewthread.race?MessageID=63549&offset=10)

OK, i didn't think it'd be as easy as it was to find it... but in under 5 minutes i unearthed the SP file that i've been hanging onto for over a decade? like some psycho! LOL. organization is the key to success kids, keep that in mind :)

here are it's contents (it's like opening a freakin' time capsule eh?!)

the original contract (as well as hospitality and technical riders) for a show that went down at Champaign Illinois' The Blind Pig Co. on 10/02/1991 (a Wednesday for those of you keeping score).

a contract and riders for a show at The Blind Pig Co. on Monday June 8, 1992! oddly enough, whoever typed up this contract inadvertently put Blind Pig/Ann Arbor MI on the first line. the two clubs were often confused for each other for many years.

at this 1992 show the $ deal was $500 guaranteed plus 80% after $800 with tickets at a mere $6.00 and capacity listed as 200 (keep in mind the Cowboy Monkey's fire code limit now is only 120!). so the ol SP walked with a whopping $820 that night.

just for kicks, their hospitality "rider"...
deli tray with whole grain bread
quart of vodka (absolut pref)
case of import beer
8 bottles evian
2 bottles cranberry
2 bottles OJ
6 pack V8
fruit salad (no apples)
fresh veggies with ranch
potato chips with french onion dip
pot of coffee
sugar
half & half
peanuts
hot tea (pref earl grey0
carton marlboros
6 towels
2 pairs white socks
2 pairs black socks

pretty standard stuff, cept for the sox. no one asked for those back then! nowadays plenty of people (ie slug from atmosphere) ask for sox so that they can just throw away their smelly ass socks whenever they're on the road.

i also have 3 black and white 8X10 promo photos (HELLO eBAY!), a bio/press kit from Caroline Records for "Gish", and a pastel pink 8.5X11 flyer for their show on Friday September 28th at The Blind Pig Co. (the opening bands listed are D.T. & The Shakes from Wash DC... and Hum).

there you have it. unfortunately brian i have no clues or leads as to any live recordings for any of the shows SP did here in champaign. i do recall having their "demo" cassette in my possession back in the Trito's era, but don't have it now.

looking for it tho i did find a cassette in my basement with a "board" tape from the 1996 Great Cover Up! it includes Poster Children doing Velvet Underground, Menthol doing Jesus and Mary Chain, and Castor doing Motley Crue (with yours truly making a suprise appearance as Vince Neil). If only it had the previous night's recordings with Braid covering the Smiths!

OK. my longest post ever, and i'm not even drunk like usual. i have more where this came from... lotsa Flaming Lips and Afghan Whigs junk. vinyl goodies like the first SP 7-inch on Limited Potential Records. WERD

T&T
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
neat that they broke ground with the sox request.
surprised they didn't ask for clean underwear too.

Slurpee
08-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Who wanted what:

deli tray with whole grain bread - Nightly band competition to make biggest sandwich

quart of vodka (absolut pref) - For Billy to feel good about not drinking

2 bottles cranberry - For Billy and D'Arcy in case either started their periods

2 bottles OJ - For James to aid in his concentration (OJ is from concentrate)

6 pack V8 - Code for black tar heroin

fruit salad (no apples) - Billy bitter about life already says all apples are rotten to him

fresh veggies with ranch - D'Arcy already looking forward to life on a farm; inspired Pavement's "Range Life"

potato chips with french onion dip - Consumed by Jimmy and Bugg once they were both stoned

peanuts - Billy's joke, saying James & D'Arcy should really get "just peanuts" and him and Jimmy all the good stuff.

carton marlboros - Jimmy & D'Arcy need something after shooting up

2 pairs white socks - For Jimmy, Billy (pure)

2 pairs black socks - For James, D'Arcy (evil, destructive)

Ihaguitar
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Fruit salad without apples would have no bite.

stumpycat
08-25-2010, 11:39 PM
deli tray with whole grain bread--D'arcy, maybe James
quart of vodka (absolut pref)--Jimmy
case of import beer--definitely Jimmy
8 bottles evian--Billy
2 bottles cranberry--James
2 bottles OJ--Billy
6 pack V8--James
fruit salad (no apples)--James, maybe D'arcy
fresh veggies with ranch--D'arcy
potato chips with french onion dip--Billy
pot of coffee--Billy
sugar--Billy
half & half--Billy
peanuts--Billy
hot tea (pref earl grey)--definitely Billy
carton marlboros--definitely Jimmy
6 towels--Billy and probably Jimmy
2 pairs white socks--D'arcy and James
2 pairs black socks--Billy and Jimmy

deadaswarhol
08-26-2010, 08:15 AM
the socks thing is mentioned on vieuphoria, no?

New Art Rioter
08-26-2010, 08:42 AM
The deli tray certainly is

Mike Byrne
08-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Awesome! Makes me proud to be a fan

aomb1979
08-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Awesome! Makes me proud to be a fan

Don't you have a show to be getting ready for in MX city?

wtf are you doing

stumpycat
08-26-2010, 11:57 PM
the socks thing is mentioned on vieuphoria, no?

No, I believe that was James talking about putting shoes on the rider.

Ihaguitar
08-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Don't you have a show to be getting ready for in MX city?

wtf are you doing

Pretending to be Mike Byrne.

deadaswarhol
08-27-2010, 04:42 AM
i think he said "shoes or socks"

redbreegull
08-27-2010, 12:33 PM
He was bothered by the footwear of the other band members, and he thought maybe they could put some shoes on the rider so they could wear something else. I think.

Ihaguitar
08-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Stay away from the deli tray.