View Full Version : how people describe Machina

Catherine Wheel
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM
MACHINA/The Machines of God by The Smashing Pumpkins : Reviews and Ratings - Rate Your Music (http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_smashing_pumpkins/machina_the_machines_of_god/)

Machina has been tagged by rateyourmusic as being art rock, gothic rock, shoegaze, and post-grunge among other things. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think most people here would describe it that way. I myself can kind of see it being post-grunge on a few tracks. But gothic rock, shoegaze and art rock? What do you think?

redbreegull
08-24-2010, 07:06 PM
what do any of those labels even mean

whorebucket
08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
machina = b0lly's masturbatory album

russian iha
08-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Art rock (GatGC, Wound, BSBT) + goth rock (GatGC, BSBT) + shoegaze (S+P, This Time) is fair enough. Even post-grunge is okay (The Imploding Voice).

Most of the time it's mixture of all above labels. Anyway Machina is my favorite SP album, and probably the favorite album ever.

Catherine Wheel
08-24-2010, 07:58 PM
The only song I might call art rock is GatGC.

Trotskilicious
08-24-2010, 08:02 PM
aural diarrhea

duovamp
08-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Oh, you mean diarrhock.

eyesofruby32
08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Machina definitely has a Gothy feel; I don't hear any shoegaze. There are some art-rock, new wave, pop, and psychedelic things going on in those 73 slow minutes.

Some reviewers on that sight seemed like they didn't really digest the music fully. While not their best album, Machina is a damn good record that takes a few listens to really understand, if that is even possible.

somaziro
08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
machina is exactly what it sounds like. synthetic. in the non organic sort of way. jarring. metallic. nasal. apocalyptic.

slunken
08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
synthetic. in the non organic sort of way.

thank you for the clarification. tell us more.

applepwnz
08-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Machina makes me think of the 80s (in a good way) beyond that, I can't really classify it at all, I'd just leave it as simple Alt. Rock

nofix
08-26-2010, 07:10 PM
what the fuck are you talking about

redbull
08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
the album is like smoking shit weed out of a really dirty bon

cork_soaker
08-26-2010, 07:48 PM
g

vbshlofbvgos
08-26-2010, 09:02 PM
nice save man

Shallowed
08-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Machina has been tagged by rateyourmusic

FYI, if you have a Rate Your Music account, you can vote for and against what genres an artist and albums are labelled as on the website.

Also, on Rate Your Music, if a genre is listed in bold then that's what it is considered to be its actual genre, and the ones in plain text are what it is influenced or what genres it draws upon. Or something like that.

Ihaguitar
08-27-2010, 02:20 AM
RYM is a good site.

Order 66
08-27-2010, 05:35 AM
I consider machina a 90s alt rock take on the new wave/shoegaze genres. I think the whole thing was intended to be 'the SP new wave album' sort of like how adore would be their 'techno album' but billy started tuning the guitars to C and using a lot of hard limiting and it came out to be what it is now

Ultimately I'd say the album is shoegaze because that genre is all about layering. and songs like heavy metal machine ostensibly use a zillion tracks. People think shoegaze is anything with a FWSHHHHH sound but I don't think that what its about

Catherine Wheel
08-27-2010, 05:51 AM
There are definitely some new wave aspects to Machina. There are parts of I of the Mourning that sound like that. And of course Try Try Try.

A lot of Machina sounds like dream-pop to me more than shoegaze.

Order 66
08-27-2010, 05:57 AM
dream pop and shoegaze are virtually the same thing IMO

but it always gets muddy when you bring genre labels into it. its something I take very broadly

Catherine Wheel
08-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Dream-pop is I thought the less harsh dissonant bits of shoegaze. It's more ethereal. The guitars on Machina are very dreamy at times.

Order 66
08-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Yeah but they sound like chainsaws at other times (heavy metal, everlasting). though everything is so heavily processed there are some sounds I can't discern from guitar or synth

Starla
08-27-2010, 07:15 AM
machina is a religion all on it's own

Luke de Spa
08-27-2010, 09:24 PM
who cares

machina's genre is "too damn long"

soniclovenoize
08-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Fuck that Machina shit. I just listen to this:
2000 Glass and The Machines of God.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?yauu5gu7gu4dr5x)

Catherine Wheel
08-27-2010, 11:17 PM
" I think the combination of the band breaking up during that record, D'arcy leaving the band... Korn was huge at the time, Limp Bizkit was huge at the time, so the album wasn't heavy enough. It wasn't alternative enough, it was sort of caught between the cracks. And it was a concept record, which nobody understood. So the combination of those elements was a career-killer... Adore didn't alienate the audience, they were just sort of like, 'Oh, it's not the record I want.' This record alienated people "

It's funny he says that the album isn't alternative enough because Machina was easily much more alternative sounding than Adore. Sometimes I really wonder where he comes up with this bullshit.

Shallowed
08-27-2010, 11:33 PM
An alternative to alternative music?

Ihaguitar
08-28-2010, 05:52 AM
I consider machina a 90s alt rock take on the new wave/shoegaze genres. I think the whole thing was intended to be 'the SP new wave album' sort of like how adore would be their 'techno album' but billy started tuning the guitars to C and using a lot of hard limiting and it came out to be what it is now

Ultimately I'd say the album is shoegaze because that genre is all about layering. and songs like heavy metal machine ostensibly use a zillion tracks. People think shoegaze is anything with a FWSHHHHH sound but I don't think that what its about

Cant really agree, loveless doesnt have many layered guitar tracks per song. Siamese Dream has more.

somaziro
08-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Its to harsh of an album to be dream pop or shoegaze.

eyesofruby32
08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, Machina is so heavily processed, it gives a whole new meaning to new wave and alt rock. It is a terribly underrated record, that still seems ahead of it's time. Hard to believe it's ten years old. Not hard to believe that these times have no musical/cultural identity. Everything now seems bland, boring, and just not worth the time. Hell, I love The White Stripes, but that is done now. Dead Weather, whoopee.

Catherine Wheel
08-28-2010, 05:34 PM
I haven't completely give up on indie / alternative stuff. The Walkmen, The National, Elbow and Vampire Weekend are all putting out quality music.

nofix
08-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Machina has been tagged by rateyourmusic as being art rock, gothic rock, shoegaze, and post-grunge among other things. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think most people here would describe it that way. I myself can kind of see it being post-grunge on a few tracks. But gothic rock, shoegaze and art rock? What do you think?

I think you're a colon crumb that's managed to find a keyboard up some lonely faggot's asshole.

soniclovenoize
08-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I haven't completely give up on indie / alternative stuff. The Walkmen, The National, Elbow and Vampire Weekend are all putting out quality music.

Since when is Vampire Weekend indie? You should do some research on who those guys really are.

Luke de Spa
08-30-2010, 07:34 AM
yeah they are actually members of the illuminati

bro, you want to be listening to real indie like circulatory system or my band

soniclovenoize
08-30-2010, 08:20 AM
bro, you want to be listening to real indie like circulatory system or my band

That's fucking right and don't you forget it, bro.