View Full Version : Billy's Current Live Set-Up

eyesofruby32
08-20-2010, 10:49 PM
For any other guitarists/musicians here, I was just curious if any of you know what equipment Billy is using currently. Obviously he's favoring his custom Strats, and might hang a Gibson or Reverend over his shoulder every now and then. But how about amps and effects? When I saw Billy solo (Boston, 2005) he ran his sound through a massive Powerbook and played a sweet Reverend. There wasn't one amp in sight. And it sounded incredible. For the current tour, I'm just interested in the gear for the sake of being interested. Thanks.

redbreegull
08-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I have no idea what he is playing through now, nor do I care, but that all digital setup in 05 was pretty cool, right? I've never seen anyone else do that.

slunken
08-21-2010, 12:35 AM
For any other guitarists/musicians here, I was just curious if any of you know what equipment Billy is using currently. Obviously he's favoring his custom Strats, and might hang a Gibson or Reverend over his shoulder every now and then. But how about amps and effects? When I saw Billy solo (Boston, 2005) he ran his sound through a massive Powerbook and played a sweet Reverend. There wasn't one amp in sight. And it sounded incredible. For the current tour, I'm just interested in the gear for the sake of being interested. Thanks.

You haven't read or listened to one single BC interview done within the last half year have you? All guy talks about is his gear and what he's using and how he's using it because the production is so important and blah blah blah. Good gravy.

IEatMyFeces
08-21-2010, 03:44 AM
You haven't read or listened to one single BC interview done within the last half year have you? All guy talks about is his gear and what he's using and how he's using it because the production is so important and blah blah blah. Good gravy.

You really want someone to listen, huh? You know what you should do? Go home.... and kill yase;f.

TuralyonW3
08-21-2010, 03:50 AM
double rainbow

IEatMyFeces
08-21-2010, 03:58 AM
what does it mean?

eyesofruby32
08-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I have no idea what he is playing through now, nor do I care, but that all digital setup in 05 was pretty cool, right? I've never seen anyone else do that.

Yeah, I thought the '05 set-up sounded excellent for all it's reliance on digital gear. It's hard to sound good without analog or tube-powered gear. You've got to have good amp emulations and models of effects to replicate analog warmth and depth. Digital processing gear usually has a cold, lifeless feel to it. Another thing about '05 that was cool was the stage backdrop. The band played in front of a giant wall of computer or TV-like screens, which constantly pulsed through different colors and patterns. It was the best backdrop I've ever seen. Mind blowing.

eyesofruby32
08-21-2010, 10:31 AM

I've read very little of Billy's recent interviews. I've read older stuff from the '90's (Siamese and MCIS gear talk), and a couple things associated with the Machina era. To be honest with you, I wouldn't know where to find articles or interviews of more current Billy-related things. I do read Guitar Player mag, but Guitar Player has ignored Billy for years, which really pisses me off. They'll run cover stories of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani every couple of years. I always thought Billy should have been featured at least once in GP.

cork_soaker
08-21-2010, 11:33 AM
this and set the reverb to 4:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/images/content/70412main_KSC-99PP-0412.JPG

RopeyLopey
08-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I took this in Asheville 2007:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/pisekdusan/DSCN8256.jpg
the names on the pedal board should refer to existing effects that are emulated

eyesofruby32
08-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I took this in Asheville 2007:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/pisekdusan/DSCN8256.jpg
the names on the pedal board should refer to existing effects that are emulated

That's pretty cool. What he was using in '07 is something like a customized pedalboard, like the ones Andy Summers and David Gilmour have made by Pete Cornish, but more compact. Someday I'd like to have something like this; I'm sick of dealing with a bunch of pedals that sound good but will suck the signal.

russian iha
08-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I thought the '05 set-up sounded excellent for all it's reliance on digital gear. It's hard to sound good without analog or tube-powered gear. You've got to have good amp emulations and models of effects to replicate analog warmth and depth. Digital processing gear usually has a cold, lifeless feel to it.

Where do you live? In 2001? Scroll down to Nine Inch Nails here: Apple - Logic Studio - In Action (http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/in-action/)

eyesofruby32
08-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Where do you live? In 2001? Scroll down to Nine Inch Nails here: Apple - Logic Studio - In Action (http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/in-action/)

Trust me, I'm fully aware of Logic and other Apple interfaces like GarageBand, which I've used since 2007. As much as I wish I could plug into my amps, and have all the best-sounding mikes going into an old-school tube console, I plug into my Mac and like it. More and more artists, bigger names, are either ditching digital programs, or combining analog and digital equipment for production. Someday I will get Logic, in some way, shape, or form.

On a side note, my project (recorded with GarageBand) I've been working on for 1 1/2 years is currently shelved because the masters are trapped inside my Western Digital external hard drive; back in June, the thing crashed on me one night, and won't work for me now. I'm trying to figure out how to retrieve that stuff with what little time I have.

cork_soaker
08-21-2010, 05:19 PM
i think you have to take it apart

russian iha
08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Someday I will get Logic, in some way, shape, or form.

You should, because the point is not only in the multitracking and processing software itself, but also a hardware you use. Do not plug directly into a Mac, get some external FireWire-interface sound card (not M-Audio, just any hi-end sound card), it can change the game completely. Nowadays computers are ten times more powerful than ones that were used for launching space shuttles back in the day when ProTools were first introduced. They are capable of such things, so the tract of Cubase/Logic + great sound card works now.

eyesofruby32
08-21-2010, 08:53 PM
i think you have to take it apart

Haha... man, if I could I would. I should've gone to school for electrical engineering or something. Instead I'm stuck with a lovely B.A. in English.

eyesofruby32
08-21-2010, 09:00 PM
You should, because the point is not only in the multitracking and processing software itself, but also a hardware you use. Do not plug directly into a Mac, get some external FireWire-interface sound card (not M-Audio, just any hi-end sound card), it can change the game completely. Nowadays computers are ten times more powerful than ones that were used for launching space shuttles back in the day when ProTools were first introduced. They are capable of such things, so the tract of Cubase/Logic + great sound card works now.

I do have an M-Audio interface that works well, but it is a stand-alone unit, not a sound card. I had to buy an expensive Monster cable to eliminate hum and noise; standard budget cables were noisy when run through the M-Audio. Anyway, when I finally finish the thing I'm working on now, I think I'll do the Logic upgrade. I'm well aware of the learning curve that comes with it. But it'll be fun to learn something new.

soniclovenoize
08-22-2010, 09:14 AM
On a side note, my project (recorded with GarageBand)

Say, I've been using SONAR for quite some time... How does GarageBand compare to that? I've seen A LOT of people talk about it, but I've always thought SONAR sounded better than ProTools. I know the industry's focus on ProTools is just because they have good PR, but I'm curious to how GB is getting so many fans/users and how it compares...

Also, link me some of your music, if anything is out there. :p

eyesofruby32
08-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Say, I've been using SONAR for quite some time... How does GarageBand compare to that? I've seen A LOT of people talk about it, but I've always thought SONAR sounded better than ProTools. I know the industry's focus on ProTools is just because they have good PR, but I'm curious to how GB is getting so many fans/users and how it compares...

Also, link me some of your music, if anything is out there. :p

I've never used SONAR, but I imagine it's probably just as useful if not more useful than GarageBand. I only have experience with GarageBand. I've never used any other interface, and have never used tube or solid-state analog consoles. I bought my Mac just for the sole purpose of utilizing GarageBand, and teaching myself a user-friendly interface. Now that I've done a lot of things with GB, I'd like to acquire Logic and learn that as well. But it's tough fitting expensive software into my budget.

Anyway, I released my first project, under the name Camp Kaleidoscope, in November '08. I don't have a URL or anything to pass along. I shouldn't have released the album in the condition it is in. The vocals are horrible, and at times the guitars are too harsh; too bad, because I've learned much more about sound sculpting and EQ since 2007-08. If you want to have a listen, the record can be found on all the bigger MP3 stores- iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, etc. But it is overall a crappy-sounding representation of some decent songs.

xforewarnedx
08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
ANYWAY, back to the question at hand. I have this link to share with you.

Identify the pedals (Billy Corgan's rack) [Archive] - The Gear Page (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-461798.html)

mickyshambles
08-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I've always thought SONAR sounded better than ProTools.

i hope you're not being serious, chronicloveboyz.

spguitar
08-23-2010, 04:46 PM
2 Diezel Herberts (1 for backup)
+ a bunch of rack effects/racked pedals.

Ihaguitar
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Which edition of the Bible does he use? Surely that's the most important question.

slunken
08-24-2010, 12:57 AM
To be honest with you, I wouldn't know where to find articles or interviews of more current Billy-related things..

There's a website called netphoria i've heard about but it's full of assholes. And also hipstersunited but its full of gay assholes.

soniclovenoize
08-24-2010, 08:35 AM
i hope you're not being serious, chronicloveboyz.

I am. ProTools sounds like poop, dickyshambles. I prefer SONAR to that over-rated digital coldness.

mickyshambles
08-24-2010, 09:03 AM
I am. ProTools sounds like poop, dickyshambles. I prefer SONAR to that over-rated digital coldness.

ok, my bad. i had no idea sonar was analogue. good luck. :cheers:

soniclovenoize
08-24-2010, 09:28 AM
ok, my bad. i had no idea sonar was analogue. good luck. :cheers:

Yeah, you didn't hear? The new SONAR 14.57 records straight to laquer. :cool:

eyesofruby32
08-28-2010, 04:23 PM
There's a website called netphoria i've heard about but it's full of assholes. And also hipstersunited but its full of gay assholes.

Haha, no kidding.