View Full Version : teargarden now going to take four years, billy disses pavement again

redbull
08-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Q&A: Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins | Spin Magazine Online (http://www.spin.com/articles/qa-billy-corgan-smashing-pumpkins)

slunken
08-13-2010, 04:04 PM
He had a golden opportunity to plug his forthcoming book at the end.

Ihaguitar
08-13-2010, 04:32 PM
To be fair he's right about the Pavement part:

They're just annoying. I think history has judged the bands appropriately: My band continues to be a source of excitement, and their band continues to be a source of record critics' masturbatory diatribes.

hnibos
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
pavement>pumpkins

hnibos
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
lol only sam red monte and davin are excited about the pumpkins

Ihaguitar
08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah well the excited bit is not really correct but he is right about Pavement. Although according to his own preachings he shouldn't really be so negative and hating.

EyesOfAJackal
08-13-2010, 05:16 PM
according to his own preachings he shouldn't really be so negative and hating.

Yeah this has been a consistent source of :erm:

vbshlofbvgos
08-13-2010, 05:35 PM
if he has three songs ready to be released why not fucking release one of them?

duovamp
08-13-2010, 05:40 PM
So do you have a Timbaland remix up your sleeve?
Oh, yeah. It's coming out tomorrow.

WHEN IS THIS COMING OUT I NEED IT RIGHT NOW.

soniclovenoize
08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah well the excited bit is not really correct but he is right about Pavement. Although according to his own preachings he shouldn't really be so negative and hating.

Funny, sounds to me like more bands these days are ripping off Pavement than Smashing Pumpkins... :erm:

samuel redman
08-13-2010, 05:54 PM
pavement>pumpkins

fuck you

hnibos
08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
:(

Ihaguitar
08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Funny, sounds to me like more bands these days are ripping off Pavement than Smashing Pumpkins... :erm:

But are bands today good? I dont think so. Rip-off bands whether they be Pumpkins rip-offs or Pavement or whatever are not original therefore dont score high in my book.

Pizza Club
08-13-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm more interested in why he's speaking poorly of Jimmy.

RenewRevive
08-13-2010, 06:50 PM
i gave up trying to like pavement a long time ago.

soniclovenoize
08-13-2010, 07:01 PM
But are bands today good? I dont think so. Rip-off bands whether they be Pumpkins rip-offs or Pavement or whatever are not original therefore dont score high in my book.

EVERY band is a rip off. Smashing Pumpkins themselves ripped off MBV. I guess your book must be written by James Patterson?

Ihaguitar
08-13-2010, 07:04 PM
EVERY band is a rip off. Smashing Pumpkins themselves ripped off MBV. I guess your book must be written by James Patterson?

Pumpkins ripped of MBV? Hmm, not directly. I think SP have many influences, I wouldnt say they ripped anyone off though.

Trotskilicious
08-13-2010, 08:48 PM
nah gish and sd are american shoegaze

i don't really call it ripping off

Trotskilicious
08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
it's mbv with pixies weird really. stuff mixes, still does. if you think bands aren't good anymore you're lazy.

SpFission
08-13-2010, 09:47 PM
fuck you

Reggaeluv2000
08-13-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't even wanna read responses but this shit pisses me off!

slunken
08-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Fuck you I like bands.

paranoid
08-14-2010, 12:06 AM
if you think bands aren't good anymore you're lazy.

posted three times to get the fucking point across.

Catherine Wheel
08-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Its not that bands aren't good anymore. It's that what is played on the radio and MTV for the most part isn't good anymore. Good bands are more under the radar than what was going on in the 90s when it seemed as if good bands were being rewarded with commercial success and radio play.

paranoid
08-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Its not that bands aren't good anymore. It's that what is played on the radio and MTV for the most part isn't good anymore. Good bands are more under the radar than what was going on in the 90s when it seemed as if good bands were being rewarded with commercial success and radio play.

well who listens to radio and watches mtv anymore? those mediums are long dead.

Elvis The Fat Years
08-14-2010, 12:20 AM
millions of people watch american idol on tv looking for good music and finding it.

RopeyLopey
08-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Q&A: Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins | Spin Magazine Online (http://www.spin.com/articles/qa-billy-corgan-smashing-pumpkins)

'Jimmy Chamberlain'

Trotskilicious
08-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Its not that bands aren't good anymore. It's that what is played on the radio and MTV for the most part

WHO FUCKING CARES!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!

I THINK MTV LAST PLAYED A VIDEO IN 1998!!!!!

i mean basically what you're saying is "but the media isn't spoonfeeding me this stuff! how dare they!"

Trotskilicious
08-14-2010, 02:56 AM
millions of people watch american idol on tv looking for good music and finding it.

idol's ratings are down 20%

i mean you're right. i don't really care where people get what they listen to. i'm just saying american idol's reign as the music lovers' boogeyman is nearing an end

Mablak
08-14-2010, 06:46 AM
I really don't give a fuck about Pavement, but I think I care even less about SP now. Kind of insane how Billy can pretend his band is regaining relevance in any way.

Ihaguitar
08-14-2010, 08:20 AM
I really don't give a fuck about Pavement, but I think I care even less about SP now. Kind of insane how Billy can pretend his band is regaining relevance in any way.

Agreed. I'm not sure if he talks like this just to wind people up or if he really is in a deluded world of his own making.

Astur
08-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Agreed. I'm not sure if he talks like this just to wind people up or if he really is in a deluded world of his own making.

I don't think he gives a flying fuck about winding up so probably it's just his fucking delusions

btw what the hell have Pavement to do with SP

Astur
08-14-2010, 08:35 AM
http://www.spin.com/sites/spin.com/files/imagecache/huge_page_view/sites/spin.com/files/100810-billy-corgan.jpg

don't they have any other promo shots apart from the "mystical secrets of child molestation" one

Ihaguitar
08-14-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't think he gives a flying fuck about winding up so probably it's just his fucking delusions

btw what the hell have Pavement to do with SP

There's a line in one of their songs that dissed the Pumpkins, back in 1994 or something. "Range Life" I think it's called.

Cool As Ice Cream
08-14-2010, 08:40 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5xnzqaqnc1qcspdko1_500.jpg

hnibos
08-14-2010, 09:01 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5xnzqaqnc1qcspdko1_500.jpg

"my band is relevant"

RenewRevive
08-14-2010, 09:24 AM
lol

to be fair it was a loaded question re: pavement. billy should've treated it how it deserved and said something like "it was 1994, who cares?" it's kind of lazy journalism; i think malkmus probably gets asked the same dumb, retro questions. at least he managed to avoid a direct pop at jimmy. whatever the reasons for them splitting he should have the sense to realize that he has exactly zero to gain from taking shots at him as far as anyone is concerned.

soniclovenoize
08-14-2010, 10:37 AM
nah gish and sd are american shoegaze

i don't really call it ripping off

Yeah yeah, "rip off" was a bit harsh of me... :p How about emulate? You're right about everything you said in this thread though.

You know, this is really interesting. The reason you believe this--as do I--is because of our age group, and that we were the label's target audience at that time, and they were just very successful at it. If we were just like 5-8 years older, we probably would have said "Smashing Pumpkins? Nirvana? What's this corporate rock bullshit?"

On another board I post at, the ages are a bit different and wide spread, and while the folks my/our age do have love for all the 90s "alternative" bands, many slightly older folks have the mindset that it was all very fake, plastic, mainstream crap--just as you all view Nickelback or whatever now. And, by the way, if we were all 5-8 years younger, we'd probably feel the same love for those popular bands that we easily dismiss as bullshit.

Does this make any sence? What I'm trying to say is that contrary to what you may think/remember, MTV & maintream rock radio NEVER has played good music, but just certain age groups view it as good at a certain time... Your age kinda determines if you bought into anything MTV or whatever had to serve. We were kinda just at the right age at the right time to get spoon-fed SP, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and so forth. So I mean, saying "Back when MTV played good music in the 90s" that's very subjective, because our older brothers and sisters didn't fall for it, just as we didn't fall for what came a bit later, you know?

Catherine Wheel
08-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Compare the Killers or Franz Ferdinand or the Strokes to SP, Radiohead, Nirvana. I think you'll find that in the decade following the 90s "revival" bands( whether it be garage rock revival or post punk revival ) dominated the radio.

eyesofruby32
08-14-2010, 01:11 PM
i gave up trying to like pavement a long time ago.

Ditto... There are a couple of decent things they do, but their albums suck more each time I listen to them, and Malkmus isn't very talented with anything in my book (maybe good at being an annoying indie elitist). I can see how Malkmus is sort of the annoying fruit fly that buzzes around Billy. Ironically, I've been thinking of trading the CD's in for credit at my nearby music shop. Crooked Rain... Crooked Rain might be the only one I keep. Might.

Rocket Launcher
08-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Billy should just have ignored the question. Both him and Pavement are using the tours to prop their old material. So what if Pavement doesn't churn out any new material, Billy, it's probably better than putting out your bland la-la music.

eyesofruby32
08-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Sometimes Billy's outspoken-ness can get the better of him. And as much as I love SP, there's no denying the classic material is way better than this 2007-present era stuff. That said, I hope Teargarden continues to sound better with each new release. Call me a purist or whatever, but I wish Billy would settle back into an MCIS-style writing groove and drop all the dark wave, Cure-isms he's been into. But I like it anyway.

eyesofruby32
08-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Pumpkins ripped of MBV? Hmm, not directly. I think SP have many influences, I wouldnt say they ripped anyone off though.

Damn true: It's easy to tell who influenced the Pumpkins: Black Sabbath/Jimi Hendrix/Pink Floyd/ELO/Rush/The Cure/ Deep Purple/ The Beatles/. And especially, from their beginning to around 1995, other elements like Eastern modal stuff (Indian ragas, Arabian scales, etc.).

The only thing the Pixies might ever have in common with SP are the quiet/loud dynamic between verses/choruses. Other than that, the Pixies don't even belong in the same sentence as the SP.

Catherine Wheel
08-14-2010, 01:45 PM
The only Smashing Pumpkins songs that remind me of MBV are Rocket and Drown.

eyesofruby32
08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
I've never heard the first MBV album. I have Loveless, and I think it is an amazing, yet criminally overlooked album. There's nothing I've ever heard, guitar-wise, that sounds like this stuff. Kevin Shields was a master of layering dense, ambient guitar waves and also turning feedback into musical noise. Billy is more in the mold of a classic guitar hero that uses acidic blues scales, a'la Hendrix, and he and James also, I think, re-invented the use of feedback. Yet Billy's admiration for MBV is all over Siamese Dream. The multi-layered guitars are more fuzzed out and distorted, whereas Loveless is awash in delays, reverbs, and backwards reverbs, all layered heavily.

Springbridge
08-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Wow four years for the new album. The news just keeps on getting worse for that project. And have you seen the light show on this tour? One of the cheapest, shoddiest light shows that has ever lite the Pumpkins' stage. I remember on the Zeitgeist tour Billy was having an interview and he said something along the lines of "The light show we provide is amazing, but then the bill comes in and we say oh no." Well Billy has certainly redeemed himself this tour.

redbull
08-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I've never heard the first MBV album. I have Loveless, and I think it is an amazing, yet criminally overlooked album. There's nothing I've ever heard, guitar-wise, that sounds like this stuff. Kevin Shields was a master of layering dense, ambient guitar waves and also turning feedback into musical noise. Billy is more in the mold of a classic guitar hero that uses acidic blues scales, a'la Hendrix, and he and James also, I think, re-invented the use of feedback. Yet Billy's admiration for MBV is all over Siamese Dream. The multi-layered guitars are more fuzzed out and distorted, whereas Loveless is awash in delays, reverbs, and backwards reverbs, all layered heavily.

Isn't Anything is awesome

Trotskilicious
08-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Damn true: It's easy to tell who influenced the Pumpkins: Black Sabbath/Jimi Hendrix/Pink Floyd/ELO/Rush/The Cure/ Deep Purple/ The Beatles/. And especially, from their beginning to around 1995, other elements like Eastern modal stuff (Indian ragas, Arabian scales, etc.).

The only thing the Pixies might ever have in common with SP are the quiet/loud dynamic between verses/choruses. Other than that, the Pixies don't even belong in the same sentence as the SP.

The Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan described Surfer Rosa as "the one that made me go, 'holy shit'. It was so fresh. It rocked without being lame." Corgan was impressed by the album's drum sound, and acknowledged that The Smashing Pumpkins used to study the record for its technical elements.

the quiet/loud dynamic is pretty major btw

redbull
08-16-2010, 12:16 AM
what if steve albini sued b0lly for copying his production tekniques

duovamp
08-16-2010, 01:44 AM
Gotta say, I've never heard of Pavement before.

hnibos
08-16-2010, 03:24 AM
you are so dumb, you are really dumb... for real

Shallowed
08-16-2010, 03:44 AM
layering dense, ambient guitar waves ... all layered heavily.

There's actually fuck-all guitars on each track of Loveless.

wHATcOLOR
08-16-2010, 03:45 AM
speaking of teargarden, first time i was in a best buy in months tonight, and i saw this big ugly box that looked familiar.. it was teargarden. i didn't realize that package was so huge. i didn't realize it was in real stores either.

redbull
08-16-2010, 04:42 AM
There's actually fuck-all guitars on each track of Loveless.

with the exception of stuff like touched and loomer, there are actually not too many guitar tracks going on. I never noticed it until I picked up the vinyl and played it on a nice stereo

Grant V
08-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Pavement is a good band. The point is, that there is a double standard for the two bands. Sp comes back and all critics have to say is that its only 2 of the original members and that billys trying to cash in on the name. While Pavement comes back as a nostalgia band, looking for the cash in, and everybody thinks its great.
At least Billy is moving forward and writing new stuff, like a real artist.

duovamp
08-16-2010, 09:43 AM
It's not easy being green.

RenewRevive
08-16-2010, 10:05 AM
speaking of teargarden, first time i was in a best buy in months tonight, and i saw this big ugly box that looked familiar.. it was teargarden. i didn't realize that package was so huge. i didn't realize it was in real stores either.

did you buy it? think of the obelisk!

redbreegull
08-16-2010, 01:42 PM
with the exception of stuff like touched and loomer, there are actually not too many guitar tracks going on. I never noticed it until I picked up the vinyl and played it on a nice stereo

Yeah, I read an interview with Kevin Shields once where he addressed this. Most MBV songs don't have more than 2-4 guitar tracks.

redbull
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Pavement is a good band. The point is, that there is a double standard for the two bands. Sp comes back and all critics have to say is that its only 2 of the original members and that billys trying to cash in on the name. While Pavement comes back as a nostalgia band, looking for the cash in, and everybody thinks its great.
At least Billy is moving forward and writing new stuff, like a real artist.

yeah, but pavement have the all-important original lineup, and steven malkmus doesn't go around calling everyone fucking idiots and filling half of his setlists with shit like united states/heavy metal machine

Ihaguitar
08-16-2010, 04:35 PM
yeah, but pavement have the all-important original lineup, and steven malkmus doesn't go around calling everyone fucking idiots and filling half of his setlists with shit like united states/heavy metal machine

And he hasnt locked himself in his own world surrounded by yes-people and going on about god and how half his band's fans are scum.

hnibos
08-16-2010, 06:29 PM
malkmus>corgan

http://www.thestranger.com/images/blogimages/2010/07/23/1279915516-billytila.jpg

samuel redman
08-16-2010, 06:46 PM
why?

DaveKShape
08-16-2010, 06:51 PM
i'm glad he's actually giving decent, down-to-earth interviews as of late (as opposed to god-peppered nonsense), but it's quite obvious he's completely delusional about the positive acclaim this incarnation of the band is supposedly getting. i guess that's what happens when you filter all negative comments out of your life.

Grant V
08-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Pavement has no intention of making a new album. They are touring on only old stuff. This makes them a nostalgia band, looking for one last pay day. Malkmus can tour with Jicks all he wants, that doesn’t change the fact that the Pavement Reunion is only about money.

The original SP could have reformed and toured on the strength of their back catalog alone. Billy doesn’t need to ever write another song ever again. He could make millions just with his old stuff. But he continues to move forward because he is a real artist.

redbull
08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Pavement has no intention of making a new album. They are touring on only old stuff. This makes them a nostalgia band, looking for one last pay day. Malkmus can tour with Jicks all he wants, that doesn’t change the fact that the Pavement Reunion is only about money.

The original SP could have reformed and toured on the strength of their back catalog alone. Billy doesn’t need to ever write another song ever again. He could make millions just with his old stuff. But he continues to move forward because he is a real artist.

my bedroom noise project has more artistic credibility than pavement right now too. I'd still rather see Pavement.

Astur
08-16-2010, 07:27 PM

Forward, to a bright new horizon of 4 years of shit

eyesofruby32
08-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I read an interview with Kevin Shields once where he addressed this. Most MBV songs don't have more than 2-4 guitar tracks.

The 2-4 guitar tracks were recorded through a ton of different processors and effects, and that can make 2-4 guitar tracks sound like almost an entire orchestra of guitars; this is the difficult way of creating layers. The easy (but expensive) way is just copying tape-to-tape when going analog, or just cutting and pasting with digital.

eyesofruby32
08-16-2010, 09:22 PM
the quiet/loud dynamic is pretty major btw

I used to listen to the Pixies a ton. Around five years ago I became sick of the nihilistic vibes Black Francis projected. That dude use to be one fucked-up artist. I do like more of the slower, dreamier shit they were doing in Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde; Doolittle is too dark. I know, I know, SP had some gothy dark moments (Quiet, Silverfuck), but it was more in a druggy way I guess, not in a self-mutilating way. Druggy... what the hell is wrong with me?

Shallowed
08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
The 2-4 guitar tracks were recorded through a ton of different processors and effects, and that can make 2-4 guitar tracks sound like almost an entire orchestra of guitars; this is the difficult way of creating layers. The easy (but expensive) way is just copying tape-to-tape when going analog, or just cutting and pasting with digital.

Wrong again.

Dude, they don't even sound like an "orchestra of guitars". On most tracks you can very clearly distinguish particular guitar tracks. Do you actually know anything you're saying or are you just assuming?

iPumpkin
08-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Wow four years for the new album. The news just keeps on getting worse for that project. And have you seen the light show on this tour? One of the cheapest, shoddiest light shows that has ever lite the Pumpkins' stage. I remember on the Zeitgeist tour Billy was having an interview and he said something along the lines of "The light show we provide is amazing, but then the bill comes in and we say oh no." Well Billy has certainly redeemed himself this tour.

11 songs a year is an amazing clip to release music. And...it's fucking free.

The light show was fine. They are playing small bars and clubs for christs sake. I like the stripped down show. Fuck the lights. Just rock.

redbull
08-17-2010, 12:34 AM
11 songs a year is an amazing clip to release music. And...it's fucking free.

disregarding the fact that we're at six songs in over eight months = not 11 in a year, there's a pretty massive difference between releasing an 11 song album once a year and releasing one song every six weeks or whatever

applepwnz
08-17-2010, 12:37 AM
11 songs a year! Holy shit, he must be cranking them out like a madman to be releasing songs at that pace!

redbull
08-17-2010, 12:42 AM
to be fair, it's not too bad for him if you consider the amount of songs he releases vs songs he writes

soniclovenoize
08-17-2010, 07:45 AM
my bedroom noise project

Link pleeze.

Nothing/everything
08-17-2010, 08:37 AM
The Pavement reunion show i attended this summer was pretty disappointing, but i'd rather go and see pavement again than sp.

T&T
08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
billy took a stab at pavement at the 7/26/10 show broadcasted by SPIN
can't even be bothered to remember what the lame joke was.

hnibos
08-17-2010, 10:10 AM
hes just jealous

slunken
08-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Food and beverage must all taste bitter.

Trotskilicious
08-17-2010, 07:46 PM
I used to listen to the Pixies a ton. Around five years ago I became sick of the nihilistic vibes Black Francis projected. That dude use to be one fucked-up artist. I do like more of the slower, dreamier shit they were doing in Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde; Doolittle is too dark. I know, I know, SP had some gothy dark moments (Quiet, Silverfuck), but it was more in a druggy way I guess, not in a self-mutilating way. Druggy... what the hell is wrong with me?

Billy the positivist compared to Frank Black? I guess if you want to be really stupid but it's by degrees of negativity.

Are you trying to tell me the guy who sang "Living makes me so sick/so sick i wish i'd die," is the paragon of positivity? For real? Did you listen to MELLON COLLIE and the INFINITE SADNESS <u><i>at all???</i></U>

Trotskilicious
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
ok here's my pumpkins recipie:

1 part shoegaze
1 part quiet/loud a la pixies
1 part goth/grunge brooding
1 part cock rock solos
1 part pop sensibility
and a dash of glam

Shallowed
08-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Where'z the prog rock, dood?

somaziro
08-17-2010, 10:24 PM
jimmy got kicked out remember

Shallowed
08-17-2010, 11:36 PM
I thought we were talking about SP in general.

redbull
08-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Link pleeze.

Welcome to Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Black-Mole/187771821903)

redbull
08-18-2010, 12:28 AM
also here is an EP if anyone gives a shit can't find an apartment EP.rar (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ydcb9bkf46443pm)

soniclovenoize
08-18-2010, 12:21 PM
also here is an EP if anyone gives a shit can't find an apartment EP.rar (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ydcb9bkf46443pm)

Hey, that's pretty cool! I like track 1 a lot...

Have you seen this place: cllct.com ? I'd say there's many like-minded artists over there, and you'd definately find an audience...

redbull
08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I believe I used to be on it actually, back when it was 001collective...I'm sure some of the recordings I did with Morgan Orion are still up there

duovamp
08-18-2010, 03:46 PM

1 part shoegaze
1 part cock rock solos
1 part pop sensibility
and a dash of glam

Part mercury filled.

soniclovenoize
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I believe I used to be on it actually, back when it was 001collective...I'm sure some of the recordings I did with Morgan Orion are still up there

Aahhh. Yeah. It's kinda neat, although it gets redundant with like the ukulele covers of Aeoplane over the Sea, you know? But I do enjoy lo-fi bedroom-pop. Plus I don't mind at all putting my music up for free. Fuck selling a record. :p

myosis
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
say what you will, but stephen malkmus knows how to make music just to have some fun, and i would have a conversation with him over corgan any day.

redbreegull
08-18-2010, 08:04 PM
WHEN IS THE NEW SONG COMING OUT

eyesofruby32
08-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Wrong again.

Dude, they don't even sound like an "orchestra of guitars". On most tracks you can very clearly distinguish particular guitar tracks. Do you actually know anything you're saying or are you just assuming?

Listen-

1. What I'm saying is that Shields used a bunch of different effects together, simultaneously, to create the sound he got. In an early '90's interview with Guitar Player Mag, he says it himself. I know the guitar tracks are distinguishable, who wouldn't? They're just super-lush and barely even have the characteristics of a guitar's tone. I used that metaphor for lack of a better term.

2. I actually do know what I'm saying, as I know how hard it is to create a good, personal guitar tone that doesn't kill the ears. I've been playing for fifteen years, and I've stayed away from cliched effects (fuzz, wah) to try to find something different. I appreciate your concern.

eyesofruby32
08-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Billy the positivist compared to Frank Black? I guess if you want to be really stupid but it's by degrees of negativity.

Are you trying to tell me the guy who sang "Living makes me so sick/so sick i wish i'd die," is the paragon of positivity? For real? Did you listen to MELLON COLLIE and the INFINITE SADNESS <u><i>at all???</i></U>

Come on man, you know what I mean. Lyrically, MCIS is full of the typical teenage angst kind of shit. I never said that SP's stuff was all sunshine and smiles. Christ, you make a comment on here and all of a sudden you're being called stupid. I've listened to MCIS innumerable times, ever since October '95. Maybe I should have made my point clearer; Black Francis seemed almost obsessed with death, self ruin, and masochism, whereas Billy exposes depression, pain and suffering, and some morbidity. But Billy tends to balance it out with lighter things. I'm bored as hell having to explain myself.

eyesofruby32
08-18-2010, 09:38 PM

1 part shoegaze
1 part cock rock solos
1 part pop sensibility
and a dash of glam

You forgot Eastern modalities, dude. The tastiest ingredient; Siva, Rhinoceros, Hummer, Cherub Rock, Suffer, Luna, Drown, on and on.

Shallowed
08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Listen-

1. What I'm saying is that Shields used a bunch of different effects together, simultaneously, to create the sound he got. In an early '90's interview with Guitar Player Mag, he says it himself.

He's also said:

NME 1991:
My Bloody Valentine (http://mybloodyvalentine2.tripod.com/#best)
People think its all pedals, but all my pedals are graphic equalizers and tone controls. Its all in the tone

Guitar world 1992:
Ninety percent of what we do is just a guitar straight into an amp.

In the book "Loveless" from the 33 1/3 series:
"the guitar smack bang in the middle and no chorus, no modulation effect"

Trotskilicious
08-18-2010, 10:40 PM

figured it was covered by the fact that i included glam?

Trotskilicious
08-18-2010, 10:44 PM
i'm not anointing myself as supreme knower of all things so you know it's a working document

eyesofruby32
08-19-2010, 05:56 PM
He's also said:

NME 1991:
My Bloody Valentine (http://mybloodyvalentine2.tripod.com/#best)

Guitar world 1992:

In the book "Loveless" from the 33 1/3 series:

I don't dispute your sources; but who really knows exactly what Shields was doing back then; he's seems like one of those guys who keeps details secret. Jimmy Page was known for that. And also, '90's rockers always fucked with the media. But your quotes are legit.