View Full Version : When you're ready for God, God is ready for you.

Ihaguitar
08-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Yeah Billy, sure.

slunken
08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_S1OOMflHXEY/SmA-ycAxAEI/AAAAAAAAABM/TuL-xsHJSPo/s800/925349~Footprints-Posters.jpg

You Said
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Now he posted a video about some hoax alien skull.

wHATcOLOR
08-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I believe in my heart that @LadyGaGa is going to positively help shift the world for the better. She is a messenger OF God's Love and Grace
Fri Aug 06 2010 15:05:49 (Pacific Daylight Time) via txt

Mike Byrne quote of the day: 'what you stick in your butt is your own business'
Mon Aug 09 2010 22:30:54 (Pacific Daylight Time) via txt

Just had the BEST ramen noodle soup in Shinjuku for lunch. Praise Jesus, was that good. I'm so happy, happy over this soup. Praise Buddha!
Fri Aug 06 2010 21:06:05 (Pacific Daylight Time) via txt

and shockingly, something i can actually agree with on his twitter:

Finally gave in + watched Season 3 of Deadwood. It is a sad thing they never got to wrap that series up properly. That cast deserved better
12:46 PM Aug 4th via txt

Caine Walker
08-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Just had the BEST ramen noodle soup in Shinjuku for lunch. Praise Jesus, was that good. I'm so happy, happy over this soup. Praise Buddha!
Fri Aug 06 2010 21:06:05 (Pacific Daylight Time) via txt

i'm really having a problem with this one, for a lot of reasons....

rub_the_y
08-12-2010, 09:53 PM
are jesus and buddha the same person?

Caine Walker
08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
absolutely not.

rub_the_y
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
He must be one of those whackjobs who follow all the gods to cover his bases. Fucking dickshit.

Ihaguitar
08-13-2010, 02:50 AM
He must be one of those whackjobs who follow all the gods to cover his bases. Fucking dickshit.

:lol:

Luke de Spa
08-13-2010, 03:04 AM

well he's just taking pascal's wager to its logical conclusion. i respect that more than monotheists

EyesOfAJackal
08-14-2010, 10:32 AM
well he's just taking pascal's wager to its logical conclusion. i respect that more than monotheists

lol @ casually dismissing the majority of the earth's population in favor of Billy Corgan's spiritual views

soniclovenoize
08-14-2010, 10:40 AM
are jesus and buddha the same person?

No, but both were human/alien inter-species hybrids.

Luke de Spa
08-14-2010, 07:06 PM
lol @ casually dismissing the majority of the earth's population in favor of Billy Corgan's spiritual views
don't get me wrong, i think his views are ridiculous too

iPumpkin
08-15-2010, 05:08 PM
He's trolling all of you. lol

Gish08
08-15-2010, 11:53 PM
How about just getting ready to pack it the fuck up and disappearing for at least five years, you dumb fuck

Ihaguitar
08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
How about just getting ready to pack it the fuck up and disappearing for at least five years, you dumb fuck

Who, Billy?

Trotskilicious
08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
lol @ casually dismissing the majority of the earth's population

wtf?

EyesOfAJackal
08-16-2010, 09:03 PM
wtf?

http://www.adherents.com/images/rel_pie.gif

EyesOfAJackal
08-16-2010, 09:21 PM
And no, I'm not trying to argue anything about validity of thought based on numbers, I just think its funny to treat somewhere around 3 billion people as some monolithic group who collectively are less respectable than Billy Corgan's flavor-of-the-week I-hate-my-fans-and-my-critics-but-I'm-full-of-love-a-love-that-shines mentality

applepwnz
08-17-2010, 12:39 AM
So I guess 30.58% of the world doesn't suck then eh?

Luke de Spa
08-17-2010, 03:09 AM
i meant monotheists who invoke pascal's wager. mainly those will be christians

Luke de Spa
08-17-2010, 03:09 AM
but anyway if bill changes his mind about space jesus every couple of days he's bound to say something less ridiculous than mainstream religions eventually

Future Boy
08-17-2010, 03:24 AM
where can I find the alien skull vid

wHATcOLOR
08-17-2010, 04:34 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/moEYqLdupIA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/moEYqLdupIA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Future Boy
08-17-2010, 04:52 AM
oh the starchild skull.

Cool As Ice Cream
08-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Twitter / Billy Corgan: Welcome back to the U S of ... (http://twitter.com/Billy/status/21093902154)
Welcome back to the U S of A @jessicaveronica and @lisa_veronica !!! I'm sure it's a step up after Sweden. America=KINDNESS, COURTESY,HAPPY!

11:41 PM Aug 13th
via txt
is he dissing sweden now?

Astur
08-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Sounds more like he's being sarcastic about USA, then again who the fuck knows what could be his problem with Sweden now

Cool As Ice Cream
08-17-2010, 07:37 AM
ah. i think you're right. i hadn't looked at it that way.

Araneae
08-17-2010, 09:13 AM
I never noticed how fucking whiny he really is. He always has to complain about something. If he's not complaining about his fans or his career then he's complaining about politics (on issues he doesn't seem to understand) or going on about his conspiracy theories. If these things bother him so much why doesn't he get his ass off of twitter and do something about it instead of screaming "SCAM"? I preferred the days when he made the occasional nonsensical tweets.

Future Boy
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
You can only keep the crazy bottled up for so long.

slunken
08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/moEYqLdupIA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/moEYqLdupIA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

well this thrust me into a hyperlinking frenzy. kudos.

duovamp
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
well this thrust me into a hyperlinking frenzy. kudos.

:banging:

Trotskilicious
08-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Twitter / Billy Corgan: Welcome back to the U S of ... (http://twitter.com/Billy/status/21093902154)

is he dissing sweden now?

belgium is next on his list, i've seen it. says "COUNTRIES TO DISS"

Cool As Ice Cream
08-18-2010, 02:19 AM
:cry:

Gish08
08-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Pastor Billy.

I think it could stick.

stumpycat
08-19-2010, 01:45 AM
We have this local food place called Taco Pastor.
I have yet to venture inside this hole-in-the-wall attached to the filling station, but already I have the feeling that it > Pastor Billy.

The Guinea Pig
08-30-2010, 09:36 AM
He changed his avatar now on twitter - instead of him, we'll now see two horses.

Phoenix Down
08-30-2010, 01:28 PM
I recently went on a vacation with some friends of mine and with one of them I used to have deep conversations about life. Well, he now turned into this very spiritual being, believing in all sorts of buddhist stuff, meditating and all. So we had some very interesting discussions, me being a more cynical, nihilistic type.

Anyways, he was talking a lot about cutting all the negative energy from his life and after a few days I could at least understand Billy and some of his statements better. I don't approve of it, and I neither approve of all my friend's views, but I guess I can now kinda see where he's heading. He has virtually nothing in common with his former self. He tries to see the positive side in each moment, which makes it hard to write music like he used to.

soniclovenoize
08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
I recently went on a vacation with some friends of mine and with one of them I used to have deep conversations about life. Well, he now turned into this very spiritual being, believing in all sorts of buddhist stuff, meditating and all. So we had some very interesting discussions, me being a more cynical, nihilistic type.

Anyways, he was talking a lot about cutting all the negative energy from his life and after a few days I could at least understand Billy and some of his statements better. I don't approve of it, and I neither approve of all my friend's views, but I guess I can now kinda see where he's heading. He has virtually nothing in common with his former self. He tries to see the positive side in each moment, which makes it hard to write music like he used to.

Your friend is right.

Phoenix Down
08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Your friend is right.

No, he's not. I still don't believe in a god or reincarnation.

Ihaguitar
08-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Your friend is right.

Buddhism is still something which twists your mind unnaturally.

hnibos
08-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I never noticed how fucking whiny he really is. He always has to complain about something. If he's not complaining about his fans or his career then he's complaining about politics (on issues he doesn't seem to understand) or going on about his conspiracy theories. If these things bother him so much why doesn't he get his ass off of twitter and do something about it instead of screaming "SCAM"? I preferred the days when he made the occasional nonsensical tweets.

people need to cut him out of their lives. too much negative energy

soniclovenoize
08-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Makes more sense to me than Christianity. But that's OK, I'm more into The Gita...

No, he's not. I still don't believe in a god or reincarnation.

No, I mean about the negative energy. You didn't mentioned what your friend said about dieties.

stumpycat
08-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Oh I could see that much. But the problem is that for Billy to truly be a follower of that philosophy, he's still got a lot of work to do to exercise alll that whiny bitchass-iness out of his own self.

applepwnz
08-30-2010, 11:57 PM

That could be said of any organized religion, although I don't agree with the views of Buddhism, at least it tends to fuck up others less than most religions.

applepwnz
08-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Judaism, are cool in my book, Christianity and Islam just tend to fight with each other way too much

slunken
08-31-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm really into Sufism.

Trotskilicious
08-31-2010, 01:04 AM
i want to smash applepwnzs fingers

applepwnz
08-31-2010, 01:32 AM
"Sorry Trotskilicious is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her."

FUCK

slunken
08-31-2010, 02:14 AM
I first learned about the Vedas and the Upanishads from Billy.

Ihaguitar
08-31-2010, 02:17 AM
Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Judaism, are cool in my book, Christianity and Islam just tend to fight with each other way too much

As I said previously they all affect the way people think which imo takes away their mind's freedom and is unnatural. Also Judaism seems to fight with Islam, and orthodox Jews tend to be nutters.

soniclovenoize
08-31-2010, 08:27 AM
As I said previously they all affect the way people think which imo takes away their mind's freedom and is unnatural. Also Judaism seems to fight with Islam, and orthodox Jews tend to be nutters.

"Those who know truly are free from pride and deceit. They are gentle, forgiving, upright, and pure, devoted to their spiritual teacher, filled with inner strength, and self-controlled. Detached from sense objects and self-will, they have learned the painful lesson of separate birth and suffering, old age, disease, and death. Free from selfish attachment, they do not get compulsevely entangled even in home and family. They are even-minded through good fortune and bad."

Ihaguitar
08-31-2010, 03:37 PM
"Those who know truly are free from pride and deceit. They are gentle, forgiving, upright, and pure, devoted to their spiritual teacher, filled with inner strength, and self-controlled. Detached from sense objects and self-will, they have learned the painful lesson of separate birth and suffering, old age, disease, and death. Free from selfish attachment, they do not get compulsevely entangled even in home and family. They are even-minded through good fortune and bad."

You do realise you don't need a god to be like that?

soniclovenoize
08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
You do realise you don't need a god to be like that?

"Through lack of understanding, people believe that I, the Unmanifest, have entered into some form. They fail to realize my true nature, which transcends birth and death. Few see through the veil of maya. The world, deluded, does not know that I am without birth and changeless. I know everything about the past, the present, and the future, [Arjuna] there is no one who knows me completely."

Trotskilicious
08-31-2010, 08:17 PM
As I said previously they all affect the way people think which imo takes away their mind's freedom and is unnatural.

actually dickhead, there's lots of scientific evidence that developing an idea of god is a natural survival mechanism

Trotskilicious
08-31-2010, 08:18 PM
in fact, reducing the concept further, a tribal/pack mentality is about as natural as it gets

so shut the fuck up

slunken
08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
People are scared to be alone and I think that's dumb.

stumpycat
09-01-2010, 01:09 AM
actually dickhead, there's lots of scientific evidence that developing an idea of god is a natural survival mechanism

Yes, it does offer multifaceted psychological and social advantages (well, actually, the social functions are more related to religion that a god or spirituality per se.) I was wondering the same thing myself several years ago but knew these kind of beliefs must have provided some kind of significant survival advantage (even when at their extremes they appear to be somewhat maladaptive) through the majority of human history or else they likely would not have persisted as strongly as they do now.

Ihaguitar
09-01-2010, 03:02 AM

Actually you *may* be right, in the past, but science is taking over now.

stumpycat
09-01-2010, 11:07 PM
You wish.
Unfortunately we can't escape how the environment molded our minds and bodies during for the first million years of human history. These recent developments haven't played out in terms of creating sufficiently strong and different selection pressures just yet. (Take a person that's a total fatass. She may well have major infertility problems because of that...but because of modern medical science, she could do something like get a gastric bypass, and therefore be able to eventually reproduce anyway. The genes that caused her to have an especially strong susceptibility to the addictive qualities of food, to store excess calories with greater efficiency than others, or whatever, will not be weeded out in this case no matter how maladaptive they are in our current environment...they'll just be passed on as a liability to her offspring.)

And, beyond that, "scientism" never really caught on that well. It doesn't appear to meet intrinsic emotional needs very well, or in the same way that religion and spirituality do. So long as certain cognitions (eg. mortality, lack of ability to control one's situation) cause emotional distress there will always be some kind of spirituality to soothe the uncomfortable thoughts away.

slunken
09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
When God is ready for me, will I be ready for Him? :warp:

soniclovenoize
09-02-2010, 07:47 AM
I blame the fucking aliens for coming down and giving prehistoric mankind this archiac religion...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/Ezekiel%27s_vision.jpg

Luke de Spa
09-02-2010, 09:59 AM
You wish.
Unfortunately we can't escape how the environment molded our minds and bodies during for the first million years of human history. These recent developments haven't played out in terms of creating sufficiently strong and different selection pressures just yet. (Take a person that's a total fatass. She may well have major infertility problems because of that...but because of modern medical science, she could do something like get a gastric bypass, and therefore be able to eventually reproduce anyway. The genes that caused her to have an especially strong susceptibility to the addictive qualities of food, to store excess calories with greater efficiency than others, or whatever, will not be weeded out in this case no matter how maladaptive they are in our current environment...they'll just be passed on as a liability to her offspring.)

And, beyond that, "scientism" never really caught on that well. It doesn't appear to meet intrinsic emotional needs very well, or in the same way that religion and spirituality do. So long as certain cognitions (eg. mortality, lack of ability to control one's situation) cause emotional distress there will always be some kind of spirituality to soothe the uncomfortable thoughts away.
uh think more

they're not maladaptive if they increase the probability of reproduction. darwinism only works in the short term HI GUYS HOW FING OBVIOUS IS THIS

stop being so caveman /adam______m

stumpycat
09-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah, that's right. The most religious, ignorant, and culturally backward fucktards in the world right now do reproduce like rabbits, don't they? I'd consider that in and of itself pretty maladaptive to the greater ambitions of humanity. I really hope we don't eventually have a bunch of shit stains overtaking the world, as it seems that might be the case with the most intelligent, resourced and responsible of our kind actually abstaining from ceaseless procreation...

But my point was that while many of these qualities did contribute to reproductive fitness up until the recent past, they no longer necessarily do so because the conditions which governed our past survival have changed and no longer necessarily apply.

soniclovenoize
09-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah, that's right. The most religious, ignorant, and culturally backward fucktards in the world right now do reproduce like rabbits, don't they? I'd consider that in and of itself pretty maladaptive to the greater ambitions of humanity. I really hope we don't eventually have a bunch of shit stains overtaking the world, as it seems that might be the case with the most intelligent, resourced and responsible of our kind actually abstaining from ceaseless procreation...

But my point was that while many of these qualities did contribute to reproductive fitness up until the recent past, they no longer necessarily do so because the conditions which governed our past survival have changed and no longer necessarily apply.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PSROlfR7WTo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PSROlfR7WTo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

stumpycat
09-03-2010, 07:37 PM
<3

Trotskilicious
09-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Actually you *may* be right, in the past, but science is taking over now.

actually the thing i heard said that god at that time basically served the same use as government and law does now. this is simply understood by knowing that ancient rulers, up until the Americans and the French threw the yoke of monarchy off, used divine right to rule, i.e. being chosen by god to enforce law.

Luke de Spa
09-04-2010, 12:20 AM
you're probably going to have to go back further than that to explain religious impulses

our brains are built for the stone age

EyesOfAJackal
09-06-2010, 07:48 PM
As I said previously they all affect the way people think which imo takes away their mind's freedom and is unnatural.

Unnatural? A phenomenon that is present nearly universally among human cultures and times, and frequently perseveres under the harshest of government persecution and extermination efforts? One of the few shared traits across all boundaries?

You have an interesting definition of unnatural, sir.

EyesOfAJackal
09-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Also, I'd like to hear your definition of "freedom". The lack of any guiding forces? The state of not having rules or limitations?

What do you think of government? This is another institution that, in some form, is pretty much universal among human societies (anarchies don't seem to last terribly long).

A major function of government is to "limit" certain forms of human behavior. I guess by your definition, this would limit freedom and be "unnatural", correct?

I think it's fairly clear that certain limitations can provide the platform for human growth and development that would be otherwise lost. Government and religion are not the same thing, but they can and have both led to incredible things, some of the absolute pinnacles of human achievement (and have been used to commit terribly atrocities as well, as all human institutions and methods of identification are manipulated into... but that is a commentary on human nature, not the individual broad institutions or philosophies that are utilized, otherwise they would all be invalidated).

I agree with you that unreasoning and blind adherence to the dictates of some other person can be utterly stifling, but I think the definition of "freedom" I am perceiving from your statement is a little simplistic. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Luke de Spa
09-07-2010, 02:49 AM
i'm just laughing at the idea that anything can be "unnatural"

what a lark

soniclovenoize
09-07-2010, 08:39 AM
i'm just laughing at the idea that anything can be "unnatural"

what a lark

What about the man-made elements? Mendelevium? Ununquadium?