View Full Version : so, this oil spill...

Order 66
05-21-2010, 11:01 AM
limbaugh's a moron but i kind of agreed it would more or less take care of itself, in the broad gist of things ... until the gallon estimates got thrown around, rearranged, thrown around again and again and mediated... this is starting to seem an awful lot like The Road. not only could it ruin the coast but weather will move it inland and then you could have situations like where a single lightning strike could bring a city down in flames. i mean, i dont want to die i still havent even had sex yet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/sushix/oilspill.jpg
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-05-19-nasagulfofmexicooilslickcolumn.jpg
http://imgur.com/54XPq.jpg

and, assuming they can't stop it, this wont be relegated to the gulf

http://www.wunderground.com/education/conveyor.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/sushix/may17.jpg

Order 66
05-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Bobby Jindal Has Some Pictures Of Oil For Brit Hume To Look At (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/20/bobby-jindal-has-some-pic_n_583462.html)
Hey, remember last weekend on Fox News Sunday when everyone was talking about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? Good times were had by all, especially by Brit Hume, who was feeling pretty breezy about the whole disaster:

JUAN WILLIAMS: First of all, don't you think, this spill now is going to be in excess of what happened with Exxon Valdez.

BRIT HUME: Let's see if that happens. There's a good question today if you are standing on the Gulf, and that is: Where is the oil?

WILLIAMS: Where is the oil?

HUME: It's not on -- except for little of chunks of it, you're not even seeing it on the shore yet.

Word, dude. I mean, does an oil spill even count if you can't see it? Is it even worth talking about if it's not on the shore? Besides, the ocean's totally got this, brah.

WILLIAMS: But I think it will damage the environment in the gulf and damage tourism and damage fishing. I don't think there's any question this is in excess of anything we've previously asked the ocean to absorb.

HUME: We'll see if it is. We'll see if it is. The ocean absorbs a lot, Juan, an awful lot. The ocean absorbs a lot.

I heard the word of Hume and said, "All right. I'm so not going to worry about this!" And then I chilled RIGHT THE HELL OUT, about the oil spill. That was all fine and dandy until Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal took a trip to the marshland along the coast of his state. You'll never guess what he found! Oil! On the shore! And he took some pictures!

So, here you go, Brit Hume. I've tried to add some helpful annotations:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/167772/HUME-OIL-ONE.jpg
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/167774/HUME-OIL-TWO.jpg
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/167776/HUME-OIL-FOUR.jpg

hnibos
05-21-2010, 11:07 AM
i dont really give a fuck about beaches. heres to having some rad weather patterns in the next few months. spice things up

Order 66
05-21-2010, 11:09 AM
i guess youre right

hnibos
05-21-2010, 11:13 AM
maybe the weather will take some attention off of the oil spill and the dems can be successful in the fall

ATS
05-21-2010, 11:16 AM
why cant they just set off a nuke right at the oil leak

Order 66
05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
i think they already tried that

Order 66
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
um so... does nobody care about this?

slunken
05-26-2010, 11:13 AM
My friend who lives in the bayou said that BP is bossing the US Coast Guard around and getting away with it. A fucking gas station, FCS.

Also there are 5-10 dolphins washing up on the shore every day.

vbshlofbvgos
05-26-2010, 11:29 AM
i want to see the dead dolphins

slunken
05-26-2010, 11:37 AM
That's what I said!

Eulogy
05-26-2010, 11:40 AM
um so... does nobody care about this?

what are we supposed to say about it

man that sucks. hope it gets worked out.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Well if the average flupnut thread gets 9 pages I figured the worst environmental disaster in history would net more than 4 responses...

sppunk
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I think it is a great idea to base policy and actions around one insanely isolated disaster! Yeah we have an accident let's cancel everything!

The push to stop drilling based on this well explosion is fucking stupid, short sighted and completely misinformed.

And this was an explosion - it is not like anyone did anthing specifically wrong. BP shouldve immediately said there is no way to stop the leak because the built-up pressure won't allow them.

It sucks fish and shit are being harmed - and really bad people's livliehoods are in chaos - nut that is a risk you take in anything exploritory.

Eulogy
05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I think it is a great idea to base policy and actions around one insanely isolated disaster! Yeah we have an accident let's cancel everything!

The push to stop drilling based on this well explosion is fucking stupid, short sighted and completely misinformed.

And this was an explosion - it is not like anyone did anthing specifically wrong. BP shouldve immediately said there is no way to stop the leak because the built-up pressure won't allow them.

It sucks fish and shit are being harmed - and really bad people's livliehoods are in chaos - nut that is a risk you take in anything exploritory.

your reaction is as idiotic as the one you're criticizing. find the middle ground, plz.

Rider
05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
why cant they just set off a nuke right at the oil leak

So what your saying is make a really big hole so more oil will come out even faster. Good idea.

Rider
05-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Well if the average flupnut thread gets 9 pages I figured the worst environmental disaster in history would net more than 4 responses...

Not even close to the worst environmental disaster in history.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Then what is?

Rider
05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Then what is?

First you would have to define history.

Because these are clearly the worst in history Extinction event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event)

If you mean human history I'm pretty sure The Ice Ages were pretty bad.

I assume what you actually mean is Modern environmental man made accidents. In that case it's the Exxon Valdez . And the Valdez was not even the worst oil spill in history.

Now if you ask me since I care more about people then fish or coastlines this one would be my choice. 8000 people died in this: Bhopal disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster)

Yes the Gulf is bad, Yes it will surely be one of the "Worst". However worst is an arbitrary term and the damage we are talking about can only be measured in hindsight.

Sticking labels on these tragedies is pointless. You say this is worst because dolphins are dying. I say 8000 people dieing pretty much instantly is way worse. Which one of us is right?

Rider
05-26-2010, 01:43 PM
A few years back a very similar accident happened in Russia. Russia detonated a small nuclear bomb in the area, and closed off the leak. Russia contacted the USA/BP 2 days after the incident and told them how they did it and closed off the leak. USA/BP ignored Russia advice. If BP takes the option of the nuclear device to close it off....they lose the rights to the oil under the lease agreement. BP is allowing the oil to spill until they can come up with another way to stop it.............to retain the rights to the oil underneath.

Sources. I keep hearing these crazy ass conspiracy theories.

sppunk
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
your reaction is as idiotic as the one you're criticizing. find the middle ground, plz.

What reaction do you want me to have? This was an accident - get it cleaned up, let investigators see of they have any ideas to have prevented the explosion (doubtful to be honest) and move on. Sometimes bad things happen and it is no ones fault. This is a concept America has cimpletely forgotten; we try to blame and point fingers at everything.

Monday morning qb and all. Offshore drilling isn't bad, let's move on.

Rider
05-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Sources...how hard is it for you to google it yourself? Read about it yourself. Decide for yourself. Know that is difficult for you blowhards to actually make an effort yourself.

Yeah know I know for sure it's not true.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
First you would have to define history.

Because these are clearly the worst in history Extinction event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event)

If you mean human history I'm pretty sure The Ice Ages were pretty bad.

I assume what you actually mean is Modern environmental man made accidents. In that case it's the Exxon Valdez . And the Valdez was not even the worst oil spill in history.

Now if you ask me since I care more about people then fish or coastlines this one would be my choice. 8000 people died in this: Bhopal disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster)

Yes the Gulf is bad, Yes it will surely be one of the "Worst". However worst is an arbitrary term and the damage we are talking about can only be measured in hindsight.

Sticking labels on these tragedies is pointless. You say this is worst because dolphins are dying. I say 8000 people dieing pretty much instantly is way worse. Which one of us is right?

but the best case scenario is that this is just as bad as exxon valdez. the general consenus among experts is that it's worse. though i'll concede nobody can really make any finite measurement of the damage in relation to other disasters yet.

and whats this about dolphins?

Order 66
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM

i think people's livelihoods being in 'choas' is putting it generosly. like i said, the verdict is still out on how bad this really is. but it's not hyperbolic to suggest the entire regional economy is fucked forever

Rider
05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
but the best case scenario is that this is just as bad as exxon valdez. the general consenus among experts is that it's worse. though i'll concede nobody can really make any finite measurement of the damage in relation to other disasters yet.

and whats this about dolphins?

So in other words your statement was 100% wrong.

Fattening Ass
05-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Offshore drilling isn't bad, let's move on.

Just one incident like this is enough for me to say no to offshore drilling. The effects of this will last for a long time.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
So in other words your statement was 100% wrong.

not really. but whatevs

Rider
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
not really. but whatevs

Which part of the statement "Worst environmental disaster in history" is correct? Sorry but I'm sick media created buzz statements thrown out by talking heads then mindlessly repeated.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM
alright... so its the worst environmental disaster in MODERN history

Rider
05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
not really. but whatevs

alright... so its the worst environmental disaster in MODERN history

Which part of that statement is correct? It's not even the worst in US history.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 02:16 PM
exon valdez - this spill is worse than that.

bhopal - i don't know if this is really an evironmental disaster as much as its a human tragedy

.... so what are you getting at?

Rider
05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Here is just one of probably 1000 articles on the Russians. Rider you must be correct and they are all wrong!!! Also do a little research on what I said about the lease and why they won't nuke it.

As British Petroleum scrambles to affix a four story dome over the massive oil geyser venting toxic sludge into the Gulf of Mexico, people everywhere are wondering what else can be done to stem the deadly tide.
Komsomoloskaya Pravda, Russia's best-selling daily publication, has and idea: Why not just nuke it?
During the Soviet years, Russia's communists had to deal with numerous oil disasters and on five different occasions they employed controlled, underground nuclear blasts to quickly solve the problem.
[The] underground explosion moves the rock, presses on it, and, in essence, squeezes the wellís channel," Pracda reported.
"Itís so simple, in fact, that the Soviet Union, a major oil exporter, used this method five times to deal with petrocalamities," added Moscow reporter Julia Ioffe, writing for True/Slant "The first happened in Uzbekistan, on September 30, 1966 with a blast 1.5 times the strength of the Hiroshima bomb and at a depth of 1.5 kilometers. KP also notes that subterranean nuclear blasts were used as much as 169 times in the Soviet Union to accomplish fairly mundane tasks like creating underground storage spaces for gas or building canals."

And those 169 underground blasts do not count the Soviet military's tests of various atomic-yield weapons, the paper noted.
Russia's success in capping major oil leaks with nuclear demolitions has an almost perfect record of success: only one detonation failed to accomplish its purpose. The last such explosion took place in 1979, according to Ioffe.

LOL quoting stuff from the plane truth. Yeah amazing source right there.

Eulogy
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
What reaction do you want me to have? This was an accident - get it cleaned up, let investigators see of they have any ideas to have prevented the explosion (doubtful to be honest) and move on. Sometimes bad things happen and it is no ones fault. This is a concept America has cimpletely forgotten; we try to blame and point fingers at everything.

Monday morning qb and all. Offshore drilling isn't bad, let's move on.

i see you use the same talking points machine as rand paul

there has been plenty of information about people taking shortcuts and avoiding standard safety precautions. accidents happen more often when people are careless/not as careful as they need to be when drilling for oil 5,000 feet under the gulf of mexico.

privatized profits/socialized losses woooooo

sppunk
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Just one incident like this is enough for me to say no to offshore drilling. The effects of this will last for a long time.

The effects of ceasing all offshore drilling are unmeasurably worse. This doesn't come close to touching effects coal mining has had in this country. But fuck let's stop producing all of our energy surces because 1 in 10,000 times something goes wrong. That's brilliant.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 02:26 PM
i don't really want to get into the whole policy argument... but i worked on (almost) every deposition in the Texas City suits and BP is a horrible company. for the most part

Rider
05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
The effects of ceasing all offshore drilling are unmeasurably worse. This doesn't come close to touching effects coal mining has had in this country. But fuck let's stop producing all of our energy surces because 1 in 10,000 times something goes wrong. That's brilliant.

Clearly we should only get our oil shipped in because nothing has ever gone wrong doing things that way.

The Jesus
05-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Worst environmental disaster in history.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
top kill has begun Live video link from the ROV monitoring the damaged riser (http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/homepage/STAGING/local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html)

Rider
05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Is the Huffington Post big/reputable enough for you? Would you like me to add the other 998 stories about this? Did you look into the lease aggrement and why BP isnt using that option????? Nahhhhhh

Susan Deily-Swearingen: BP Oil Spill: The Nuclear Option (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-deilyswearingen/bp-oil-spill-the-nuclear_b_587875.html)

Where in that article do they claim BP won't do it because they will loose the rights to the well?

Rider
05-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Again you moron......i am done with doing the research for your reading pleasure....DO THE WORK YOURSELF! It is all there to find.

Yeah I'm the moron. I can read the article and actually comprehend it, You clearly can not.

hnibos
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
successful troll is successful troll or something

slunken
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I get a big kick when southerners pronounce "oil" like "earl"

Fattening Ass
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM

I am not for offshore drilling, but in no way did i say cease all current drilling nor did i say or lead on to believe that i would be for ceasing all kinds of energy producing sources.

I'm also pretty sure sure coal mining has had negative effects on the country, but I'm not talking about that. The subject here is offshore oil drilling.

sppunk
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
That is what I'm talking about. Offshore drilling is generally safe, insanely regulated and massively profitable to the U.S.(And churning out pretty much Biting off the hand that feeds you has and will never work, and that is exactly the action you said we should take.

You have to also be against nuclear plants if you are against offshore wells.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 04:42 PM
nobodys against offshore drilling other than environmentalist whackos. its a non issue

Order 66
05-26-2010, 04:46 PM
There does need to be serious moratoriums now tho

28if
05-26-2010, 05:04 PM
That is what I'm talking about. Offshore drilling is generally safe, insanely regulated and massively profitable to the U.S.(And churning out pretty much Biting off the hand that feeds you has and will never work, and that is exactly the action you said we should take.

You have to also be against nuclear plants if you are against offshore wells.

it's insanely profitable to US corporations, not the US itself. we need to find alternative, renewable energy sources. we're going to run out of oil eventually anyway.

duovamp
05-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Don't you worry about oil. Let the free markets worry about blank.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm trying not to take a partisan or ideological stance but - in the abstract - I think this is the smoking gun on the debate against alt energies. Its not a liberal agenda item its the right path and to stay this course will bring palpable real life consequences

duovamp
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Alternative energy resources, global warming, education, the free market can solve all these issues when and as it pleases, at no expense to economic efficiency. I promise.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 05:38 PM
post/av

jczeroman
05-26-2010, 06:16 PM

I think I agree with all of this.

My only addition is that the problem no one is talking about is that the main reason this isn't being stopped is because the oceans are common property.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I think I agree too

duovamp
05-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I hate when people learn from their mistakes, despite the fact that the free market's sense of progress is based on such a social assumption!!

exactlythesame
05-26-2010, 06:50 PM

My only addition is that the problem no one is talking about is that the main reason this isn't being stopped is because the oceans are common property.

i've heard several different theories about why the leak hasn't been stopped, from it being impossible, to BP losing the rights to the well if they destroy it, and even that no one will take the responsibility

the most poignant question to ask is this: where does the money lead? it would seem like one of the richest companies in the world could afford to hire (or employ) an engineer capable of solving this admittedly very difficult problem. but people are smart. why's it been so long?

Order 66
05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
they can't stop it. Its that simple

Its in nobodys best interest to keep it gushing

sppunk
05-26-2010, 07:22 PM
They can't stop it for the same reason they vant tap into the largest batural gas shale on earth(and pretty close to where this well is located): because the underground pressure coupled with depth make it too great to offset.

28f, this has zero to do with alt energy. This explosion/leak doesn't accelerate or delay that need, it has no relation at this time.

Questions on epa should be hitting hard, but let's stop the bullshit DRILLING IS EVIL rhetoric and focus on cleaning/confining the oil. The govt has again failed miserably - another lesson to point out when people argue for govt control of anything.

Order 66
05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
who besides whackos suggest drilling is evil. and how has that rhetoric changed any from before the spill

duovamp
05-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Questions on epa should be hitting hard, but let's stop the bullshit DRILLING IS EVIL rhetoric and focus on cleaning/confining the oil. The govt has again failed miserably - another lesson to point out when people argue for govt control of anything.

See, I don't know about this. It's the exact same thing discussed before with that silly comic strip. I would submit that increased regulation would have prevented this, not less.

Rider
05-26-2010, 08:12 PM
who besides whackos suggest drilling is evil. and how has that rhetoric changed any from before the spill

I know a lot of people who are totally uninformed and just listen to the news who think we should stop all drilling. People are dumb the listen to media catch phrases.

sppunk
05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
See, I don't know about this. It's the exact same thing discussed before with that silly comic strip. I would submit that increased regulation would have prevented this, not less.

Drilling is one, if not the most, regulated things in this country. BP is one of the top companies in the world when it comes to safety and obeying regulations - in fact they aren't seen as a great employer because of the strides they make employees take to maintain safety and be in compliance with regulations.

This explosion is not the fault of any regulation (or lack thereof). Also, keep in mind this leak is 5,000 feet below the water surface. The water temp there alone is cold enough to freeze metal (which happened last week) and the pressure is strong enough to, well, create a blowout that lifts a rig out of the water and throws it directly on top of the hole.

Hopefully the mud they're pumping helps create a vacuum to slow the leak. Outside of this option and concreting the hole shut (which isn't a permanent solution), a fix for this is a long way down the road imo.

sppunk
05-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Congressmen pushing for shutting down all offshore rigs.

killtrocity
05-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Don't give a shit about the temperature in Guatemala
Don't really see what all the fuss is about
Ain't gonna worry about no future generations
And I'm sure somebody's gonna figure it out

killtrocity
05-26-2010, 09:04 PM
we build a pipeline, that's what we do

http://billsmovieemporium.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/there_will_be_blood.jpg

exactlythesame
05-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Hopefully the mud they're pumping helps create a vacuum to slow the leak. Outside of this option and concreting the hole shut (which isn't a permanent solution), a fix for this is a long way down the road imo.

then can we call it a great ecological disaster?

Order 66
05-27-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't doubt drilling is heavily regulated. But with the gulf of Mexico essentially ruined, either its not regulated enough or BP really dropped the ball somewhere along the line. I mean, I know the blame game gets nobody anywhere and BP isn't a mustache-twirling villain... but this isn't the sort of thing you look at and go 'ah shit happens lol. carry on...'

Order 66
05-27-2010, 01:00 AM
to BPs credit I think they'll pull off stopping most of it and mitigate the damage a great deal. the media narrative is that nobodys doing anything about it but the whole industry is busting their ass

ohnoitsbonnie
05-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Well I think we can agree this isn't a good thing what is happening here

ATS
05-27-2010, 01:09 AM
i wish they would talk about the amount of oil spilled in terms of dollar value instead of gallons or barrels

Rider
05-27-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't doubt drilling is heavily regulated. But with the gulf of Mexico essentially ruined, either its not regulated enough or BP really dropped the ball somewhere along the line. I mean, I know the blame game gets nobody anywhere and BP isn't a mustache-twirling villain... but this isn't the sort of thing you look at and go 'ah shit happens lol. carry on...'

It is heavily regulated just not heavily enforced or watched over.

Rider
05-27-2010, 01:12 AM
i wish they would talk about the amount of oil spilled in terms of dollar value instead of gallons or barrels

You can't multiply by 7?

Rider
05-27-2010, 01:14 AM

if by that you mean the stupidity of flspnut and 28if then yes we can all agree this thread is the worst disaster in history. In fact there have been several threads about the stupidity of these posters.

Fattening Ass
05-27-2010, 02:50 AM
I'm trying not to take a partisan or ideological stance but - in the abstract - I think this is the smoking gun on the debate against alt energies. Its not a liberal agenda item its the right path and to stay this course will bring palpable real life consequences

This.

I do think though that this one accident, as rare as it may be, is just too great to just say 'oops' about and continue on without seriously considering renewable options.

Rider
05-27-2010, 03:10 AM
This.

I do think though that this one accident, as rare as it may be, is just too great to just say 'oops' about and continue on without seriously considering renewable options.

So your saying we are not seriously considering renewable options? I think that's far from reality.

ryan patrick
05-27-2010, 03:39 AM

c'mon I know sppunk is an idiot who doesn't have his facts straight but surely you can't agree with "nobody did anything wrong"

BP/Transocean skipped a test of cement linings 11 hours before the rig exploded, and did some other shady things to cut corners. the investigation will have to go on but I assume that the skipped test of cement linings, which failed shortly thereafter when BP decided to start displacing drilling mud with seawater against the wishes of the rig operator, probably this was a contributing factor.

if it turns out their negligence resulted in the blowout, BP and transocean should have all their drilling leases revoked. we should stop trying to drill in deep water until there are plans in place to deal with the possibility of a blowout. the tiny amount of oil you get isn't worth the risk of billions in damage to the gulf coast economy not to mention the ecology of the region, IMO.

Starla
05-27-2010, 06:42 AM
this has been a great year so far

hnibos
05-27-2010, 07:15 AM
we've all been working together :)

SlingeroGuitaro
05-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm not a fan of the drilling but if they are going to do it, fine. My thought: accidents do happen. If the hole is too deep and you are clearly unable or unwilling to fix it, you don't belong there in the first place.

sppunk
05-27-2010, 09:00 AM
c'mon I know sppunk is an idiot who doesn't have his facts straight but surely you can't agree with "nobody did anything wrong" I probably have more background in the oil and gas industry than anyone here. Having my entire family work in the oil/gas field and growing up in an area that has more oil tradition than practically anywhere else in the planet
tends to give one support/backing.

if it turns out their negligence resulted in the blowout, BP and transocean should have all their drilling leases revoked. if negligence resulted fine them, fire the rig operators and move on. These rigs are checked more frequently than Rider makes believe (landbased rigs are much easier to skimp out on). BP has mandates to follow these procedures locked into its workforce training. Your jump to conclusion is very extreme; I might as well push for SWEPCO to have its energy transmission licensing pulled because workers have been killed without using proper grounding wires and gloves on reset switches.

the tiny amount of oil you get isn't worth the risk of billions in damage to the gulf coast economy not to mention the ecology of the region, IMO.
Stopping all ocean drilling would be like flushing your toilet using a syringe. The US gets a massive part of its oil from the rigs. This leads to the importation all oil we use.

The ecological issue is to the land - the oil won't destroy the gulf waters much. The feds et al have fucked up keeping booms in place to collect oil near marshland. Heads will roll for that, too.

And Fattering Ass, what cave do you live in where you don't think renewable energy has any focus? The issue is the time to convert to any renewable form (and none have proven to be widespread cost-effective yet) is it takes years and years and years to convert economies and infrastructure. You can't wake up one day and say we'll stop using oil next Sunday - it is impossoble.

jczeroman
05-27-2010, 09:19 AM
c'mon I know sppunk is an idiot who doesn't have his facts straight but surely you can't agree with "nobody did anything wrong"

BP/Transocean skipped a test of cement linings 11 hours before the rig exploded, and did some other shady things to cut corners. the investigation will have to go on but I assume that the skipped test of cement linings, which failed shortly thereafter when BP decided to start displacing drilling mud with seawater against the wishes of the rig operator, probably this was a contributing factor.

if it turns out their negligence resulted in the blowout, BP and transocean should have all their drilling leases revoked. we should stop trying to drill in deep water until there are plans in place to deal with the possibility of a blowout. the tiny amount of oil you get isn't worth the risk of billions in damage to the gulf coast economy not to mention the ecology of the region, IMO.

Honestly, I am not following this close enough to make a comment other then that even with regulations and rules, accidents happen. I am definitely not an expert so that I know what "cement linings" and "11 hours" mean in the context of drilling for oil. That just doesn't mean anything to me.

I do feel competent to comment on the logical framework here: why the spill isn't being cleaned up.

sppunk
05-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Colin, that is the biggest issue. Not much has been done to start cleanups - the govt has set back and watched BP attempt to plug the hole instead of deploying its resources al over the coast. That is more criminal at this time than BP's exploding well. Answers on if the had true malfeasence will come later - but you have to focus immediately on cleanup. While this happened in open waters. Our lovely govt has all power to take charge along the coasts. And they've waited and waited.

RP, don't take my posts as completely ignoring whatever role wrongdoing played for this. That isn't what I'm saying - but looking in hindsight and talking about completely throwing BP out (which I'm not sure is even possoible since this might not be completely American waters) is too rash.

We can all agree on one thing: Obama has once again been shown i llprepared as president. His non-reaction and ifnoring the issue os troubling to me. Not Katrina-level by any means, but troubling nonetheless.

Sorry for speling and error mistakes - typing on a plane with turbulance.

Order 66
05-27-2010, 10:42 AM
obama needs to dive in there and grasp the complexities of this. i find it interesting the lamestream media is ignoring the contributions BP made to his campaign, as that's probably why he isnt doing anything about it

Order 66
05-27-2010, 10:48 AM
So your saying we are not seriously considering renewable options? I think that's far from reality.

i find it very odd we're still so reliable on oil and coal in 2010. i mean maybe we're just not that far along yet... but i think it has more to do with the industrial complex's willing recalcitrance to advancement

28if
05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
duh! i can't think of a commodity that produces more money than oil. the oil industry runs the government man, along with all the other multi-billion dollar industries. maaan!

28if
05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
our vice president was in charge of halliburton for chrissakes. that's a pretty solid indicator right there that our government does not have the best interests of the people in mind, they all just want to make more money for themselves.

that said, the lax regulatory laws and extreme extent to which the industry was in bed with the government oversight agencies are all legacies of the bush administration. which makes it even more frustrating when tea partiers are all "can't trust the government!" since obama has been such a huge step forward.

Rider
05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
i find it very odd we're still so reliable on oil and coal in 2010. i mean maybe we're just not that far along yet... but i think it has more to do with the industrial complex's willing recalcitrance to advancement

Trust me if it could be done it would have been done. Monsanto would love to have every car in america driving on a bio fuel produced from one of their seeds.

28if
05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Trust me if it could be done it would have been done. Monsanto would love to have every car in america driving on a bio fuel produced from one of their seeds.

i don't even know why i'm replying to your dumb ass, but the oil industry has a lot more money to throw around in washington than Monsanto. congressmen/gvt in general is being paid not to invest in bio fuel.

Order 66
05-27-2010, 01:40 PM
we can send robots to mars but we can't find another way to make wheels move on a vehicle. I know that's an oversimplification. but geez

exactlythesame
05-27-2010, 05:36 PM
You heard that they may lose the rights to the oil if they destroy the well??? Confounded......where did you get that information.....would you find that for me and Rider please??

it came from an unverifiable source, but some gentleman claiming to work for BP called a local radio station under protection and gave that as the biggest reason why they would like to avoid destroying the well at all costs.

google didn't come up with any hits on several searches i made. just one of many theories as to why this hasn't ended by now.

killtrocity
05-27-2010, 06:44 PM
It's the corporations maaan.... but seriously, it is this time

28if
05-27-2010, 07:27 PM
it's been the corporations maaaan since industrialization

Fattening Ass
05-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Yep. 'Considering' was the wrong word to use. I am not very good at formulating most of my responses, and others usually say it better. and of course everyone responds with bite...

But I too think its odd the oil reliance is so great for the year we live in.

It all boils down to $.

ATS
05-27-2010, 10:00 PM
if you guys care so much about green energy you should go back to school and become material scientists

28if
05-27-2010, 10:03 PM
if you guys care so much about knives you should go back to school and become culinary KNIFIESICNEISNJTBESJFJOCES

28if
05-27-2010, 10:03 PM
i'm drunk

Order 66
05-27-2010, 10:05 PM
I've invested in alt energy. I don't need any of that school shit

Order 66
05-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Learnin is for fags

Trotskilicious
05-27-2010, 11:45 PM
duh! i can't think of a commodity that produces more money than oil.

printer ink

Trotskilicious
05-27-2010, 11:48 PM
it came from an unverifiable source, but some gentleman claiming to work for BP called a local radio station under protection and gave that as the biggest reason why they would like to avoid destroying the well at all costs.

google didn't come up with any hits on several searches i made. just one of many theories as to why this hasn't ended by now.

wow stupid

1. unverifiable source = bullshit. has the internet really destroyed all semblance of any kind of journalistic integrity? local radio station? are you <i>for real</i>???
2. BP is one of the three biggest oil companies in the world. you think one well in one part of the world is really that fucking important to them?
3. there was a verified argument on board the deepwater horizon the day of the explosion in which a BP guy was arguing with a representative of the company that owned the rig, forgot the name of that company, over the fact that they wanted to shut the well down and the company that owned the DH wasn't moving fast enough

ohnoitsbonnie
05-27-2010, 11:50 PM
printer ink dumbass

lol

Trotskilicious
05-27-2010, 11:52 PM
i mean seriously it must be made out of a combination of oil, gold, and uranium.

ohnoitsbonnie
05-27-2010, 11:53 PM
and cobra venom

Trotskilicious
05-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Which part of that statement is correct? It's not even the worst in US history.

haha what oh man, you can't even fucking identify it? it's like 5 times worse, literally, than the valdez

Trotskilicious
05-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Again you moron......i am done with doing the research for your reading pleasure....DO THE WORK YOURSELF! It is all there to find.

that's not how arguments work fuckhead

Trotskilicious
05-27-2010, 11:58 PM

i disagree

fuck shrimp

Starla
05-28-2010, 03:13 AM
so there's another leak about 6 miles away?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDGAoU1H2gM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cDGAoU1H2gM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Starla
05-28-2010, 03:14 AM
and didn't bp help support the obama campaign?

AaroniusMaximus
05-28-2010, 10:04 AM
They put the rights of one oil well in front of the environmental disaster that is now presenting itself. This is not opinion....this is fact.

yup yup! :banging:

exactlythesame
05-28-2010, 10:20 AM
wow stupid

1. unverifiable source = bullshit. has the internet really destroyed all semblance of any kind of journalistic integrity? local radio station? are you <i>for real</i>???
2. BP is one of the three biggest oil companies in the world. you think one well in one part of the world is really that fucking important to them?
3. there was a verified argument on board the deepwater horizon the day of the explosion in which a BP guy was arguing with a representative of the company that owned the rig, forgot the name of that company, over the fact that they wanted to shut the well down and the company that owned the DH wasn't moving fast enough

i don't know who you're arguing with, but i never said i put any stock into some random caller's opinion as to why they don't want to destroy the well. that was the only place i had heard that particular version of the truth.

killtrocity
05-28-2010, 12:32 PM
and didn't bp help support the obama campaign?

Seems like it was only 77,000

FOXNews.com - Palin Links BP Donations to Obama to Explain Gulf Spill Response (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/23/palin-links-bp-donations-obama-explain-gulf-spill-response/)

This is still an interesting point though

Rider
05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Wow Trots is high and not even reading what he's replying to.

Rider
05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Wow and Rider didn't respond to being incorrect on BP losing the rights to the oil if they destroyed the well..... So quick to deny people...then not do any research.... then just shut up when the truth is there.

Welcome to ignore. Seriously we need a round of banning. You have no clue how many people flee the board when these idiotic trolls take over.

Rider
05-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Seems like it was only 77,000

FOXNews.com - Palin Links BP Donations to Obama to Explain Gulf Spill Response (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/23/palin-links-bp-donations-obama-explain-gulf-spill-response/)

This is still an interesting point though

Try to find multinational the did not give money to Obama.

duovamp
05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Try to find multinational the did not give money to Obama.

Don't drink and post.

Trotskilicious
05-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Yea this is how it works in here trots....someone actually knows what is going on and reports it where someone else who has done NO research or knows nothing about it....tells you that you have no idea what you are talking about. That is how the arguments go in a uneducated board. You're absolutely correct Trots.

actually the burden of proof is always on the person presenting the argument, in fact, it's much more responsible for people to ask questions and demand sources then for you to make a claim and then tell them they need to research it themselves. I dunno where "uneducated board" comes into this since you're clearly the one that is uneducated.

i mean shit if i could have written history term papers without actually having to find sources to back me up and instead just tell the professor "Why don't <i>you</I> do the resarch, smart guy!" then i would have been done in less than a year.

Trotskilicious
05-28-2010, 06:27 PM
i don't know who you're arguing with, but i never said i put any stock into some random caller's opinion as to why they don't want to destroy the well. that was the only place i had heard that particular version of the truth.

point is bullshit hearsay should never even be repeated

Trotskilicious
05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Wow Trots is high and not even reading what he's replying to.

no trot is sober and doesn't give a shit

Future Boy
05-28-2010, 07:45 PM
hell yeah :rockon:

exactlythesame
05-30-2010, 06:34 PM
point is bullshit hearsay should never even be repeated

i said it was unverifiable, jesus

Order 66
05-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Top kill failed. And we're looking at about 7 possible gulf hurricanes this season.

The gulf had a good run

hnibos
05-30-2010, 06:54 PM
im excited

TuralyonW3
05-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I can't wait for the hurricane to come and cover us all with black death

billyscok
05-31-2010, 05:16 PM
This has happened before, and the oceans dealt with it. Seriously, it's all being exaggerated! We weren't as technologically advanced in 1979, and everything went OK.

duovamp
05-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah and this is basically the same thing. The ocean got over it.

billyscok
05-31-2010, 05:29 PM
My sarcasm sucks.

duovamp
05-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Sarcasm?!

slunken
05-31-2010, 11:14 PM
I saw on the news that all these BP gas station owners were putting up signs that say "LOCALLY OWNED/NO LEAKS HERE" even though their shit comes from BP. As if that really makes a fucking difference.

Order 66
05-31-2010, 11:45 PM
I read BP wants all pretrial issues in the hands of a federal judge who gives lectures around the world in ethics for the American association of petroleum geologists (which works with BP). That's real cute

slunken
05-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Also a BP spokesman was at a town hall meeting in Louisiana and said "It's not like Louisiana is the only place shrimp comes from." Dude almost got his throat ripped out.

applepwnz
06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Don't drink and post.

Drinking and posting is the only thing keeping this forum alive

but yeah, flipnut is a tool, I'd disagree with anything he said just on principle

duovamp
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Drilling is one, if not the most, regulated things in this country. BP is one of the top companies in the world when it comes to safety and obeying regulations - in fact they aren't seen as a great employer because of the strides they make employees take to maintain safety and be in compliance with regulations.

"In an initial exploration plan, BP called a spill 'unlikely.' So when BP sought permission to drill the Deepwater Horizon site, MMS agreed and went along with it. And gave the company a 'categorical exclusion' from a more strenuous environmental impact study." CNN

Also drilling oil is not regulated in procedure hardly at all. It is regulated in who is allowed to do it. Like drilling in Iran is highly regulated due to its location alone. One of my professors for a handful of semesters was Kent Moors, who works as a top-level oil consultant to the State Department. He's been on MSNBC Business and Faux News quite a bit. We got oil talks coooonstantly... He taught more about oil than he did what he was supposed to teach.

Mo
06-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Sarah Palin finally found out who's to blame for the spill - those "extreme environmentalists"...This is a message to extreme "environmentalists" who hypocritically protest domestic energy production offshore and onshore. There is nothing "clean and green" about your efforts. Look, here’s the deal: when you lock up our land, you outsource jobs and opportunity away from America and into foreign countries that are making us beholden to them. Some of these countries don’t like America. Some of these countries don’t care for planet earth like we do – as evidenced by our stricter environmental standards. With your nonsensical efforts to lock up safer drilling areas, all you’re doing is outsourcing energy development, which makes us more controlled by foreign countries, less safe, and less prosperous on a dirtier planet. Your hypocrisy is showing. You’re not preventing environmental hazards; you’re outsourcing them and making drilling more dangerous. Extreme deep water drilling is not the preferred choice to meet our country’s energy needs, but your protests and lawsuits and lies about onshore and shallow water drilling have locked up safer areas. It’s catching up with you. The tragic, unprecedented deep water Gulf oil spill proves it.
Palin Blames BP Spill on "Extreme Enviros" | Mother Jones (http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/06/palin-blames-bp-spill-enviros)

Someone please shoot that bitch.

Order 66
06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I can't believe the right is doing so many mental gymnastics to blame anybody other than BP. everytime I think they've bottomed out they just get worse and worse

slunken
06-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I can't believe the right is doing so many mental gymnastics to blame anybody other than BP. everytime I think they've bottomed out they just get worse and worse

The Smashing Pumpkins.

Dead Frequency
06-04-2010, 09:32 AM
http://chud.com/articles/content_images/223/fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-3-800.jpg

"You see what GOD just did to us man?!"

Order 66
06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins.

yeah i was thinking that too

Order 66
06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/worst_case_scenario.png

duovamp
06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I would like nothing more than to see that happen, especially James Carville on a flaming alligator.

Future Boy
06-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Someone please shoot anyone that still cares about Sarah Palin.

Starla
06-04-2010, 02:55 PM

she'll be up this way in the fall

Rider
06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
http://playhappy.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sarah-palin-2012.jpg

Order 66
06-04-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd vote for her

Mo
06-05-2010, 04:04 PM
BP chief Tony Hayward sold shares weeks before oil spill - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/7804922/BP-chief-Tony-Hayward-sold-shares-weeks-before-oil-spill.html)

Well fuck me sideways - and Goldmann Sucks as well.

Trotskilicious
06-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Your first sentence is the reason why you seem uneducated Trots. Do you not know the difference between presenting an argument and stating a fact? What I am telling you is 100% fact. There is no argument to be had.....except if you are uneducated and want to argue a fact. Except if you have no idea what you are saying, but just spout your mouth off for kicks.

so still no source huh

Mo
06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
BP buys Google, Yahoo search words to keep people away from real news on Gulf oil spill disaster (http://www.examiner.com/x-33986-Political-Spin-Examiner~y2010m6d6-BP-buys-Google-Yahoo-search-engine-words-to-keep-people-away-from-real-news-on-Gulf-oil-spill-disas)

hnibos
06-06-2010, 03:59 PM
we live in a shit society huh

Mo
06-11-2010, 03:53 AM
YouTube - BP Spills Coffee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM)

Order 66
06-11-2010, 04:01 AM
lol @ Kevin costner

'.... You're fucked'

Order 66
06-11-2010, 04:03 AM
I didn't know UCB was still around @_@

hnibos
06-17-2010, 04:14 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs117.snc4/36219_927964714162_5107181_51221470_4719926_n.jpg

hnibos
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
so, this oil spill...

Rider
06-17-2010, 04:52 PM
so, this oil spill...

Still no where near being the worst spill in history...

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/oil-spills.jpg

barden
06-17-2010, 07:47 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs117.snc4/36219_927964714162_5107181_51221470_4719926_n.jpg

beautiful maybe it was worth it.

Order 66
06-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Still no where near being the worst spill in history

so do you stand by your claim Exxon Valdez was worse?