View Full Version : Fundraising for charity walks/runs

pale_princess
04-28-2010, 07:28 PM
How do you guys feel about asking for people to pledge you for a charity walk or run? I'm doing one with my company and it's the first one I've done since childhood.

I kind of feel weird asking people for money, even though it's for a good cause. What I ended up doing was just biting the bullet and sending the email to any relatives or friends whose emails I knew offhand, and then I made a facebook status about it. I cringed while I did it, but now I've doubled my previous donations!

I guess the moral of the story is it's easier to not have to ask ppl for charitable donations face to face. How do you guys go about this?

Sepiae
04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I did the same thing -- emailing people and facebook. For my last effort, I only used facebook and a friend who doesn't have an account was disappointed I didn't hit her up when I mentioned the walk after the fact. So, your message are often more welcome than you're worried they are going to be.

Also, if your husband has a facebook, he could post your fundraising link too. Several of my boyfriend's friends donated to my cause because he linked to it. That was helpful.

duovamp
04-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Remember the Big Help?

Order 66
04-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Organizing for America emailed me today and said they needed me to ask 27 people in my area for donations of at least $5. don't think that'll be happening

Rider
04-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I hate it when people ask me to give to charity. I have my own charities that I have a budget for. Also there are times when I might not exactly like your charity and have chosen for various reason not to donate to it. For example the some charities spend way to much money raising money, but try to explain that to breast cancer survivor.

duovamp
04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Organizing for America emailed me today and said they needed me to ask 27 people in my area for donations of at least $5. don't think that'll be happening

:rofl:

pale_princess
04-29-2010, 08:42 AM
I hate it when people ask me to give to charity. I have my own charities that I have a budget for. Also there are times when I might not exactly like your charity and have chosen for various reason not to donate to it. For example the some charities spend way to much money raising money, but try to explain that to breast cancer survivor.

Oh, I agree with this. I think there's lots of charities out there where donations pay the salaries of admins up to higher ups with scraps left for those actually in need.

The charity I'm dealing with is pretty "catch-all." it's a hotline where kids can call in about issues from bullying to family problems to sexuality to addiction, among other things. And I work for a children-oriented company, doing the walk with my coworkers.

This has made me think, since I'm the most financially stable I've been in awhile that I should look into a "passion project" charity for monthly donations.

pale_princess
04-29-2010, 08:46 AM
The other day I was awoken by a phone call from Feed the Children (the charity my husband gives $ to every month) asking for an extra $50 on top of what he's already given. A whole spiel about starving babies in Bolivia while I still had crust in my eyes. I felt uncomfortable and gave the whole "talk it over with my husband" excuse :-/

Rider
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home (http://www.charitynavigator.org/)

Not sure if they cover Canada.

Sepiae
04-29-2010, 07:27 PM

This is why, if I am raising money, I prefer to do it kind of indirectly, rather than put someone on the spot. It was a big deal for me to raise money for my local rape crisis center, but everyone has their own thing they support (even if it is the Joe Likes Weed Fund) and no one should feel like they have to explain that.

This is also why even though I work in fundraising, I could never be a frontline fundraiser. I couldn't understand why the powers that be wanted to send a THIRD round of letters (in 3 months) to people who had made a pledge but not paid. They aren't going to pay. And the more letters you send them, all they are going to think is "you wouldn't need to harass me for $25 if you stopped sending so many letters."

Rider
04-29-2010, 07:40 PM
This is why, if I am raising money, I prefer to do it kind of indirectly, rather than put someone on the spot. It was a big deal for me to raise money for my local rape crisis center, but everyone has their own thing they support (even if it is the Joe Likes Weed Fund) and no one should feel like they have to explain that.

This is also why even though I work in fundraising, I could never be a frontline fundraiser. I couldn't understand why the powers that be wanted to send a THIRD round of letters (in 3 months) to people who had made a pledge but not paid. They aren't going to pay. And the more letters you send them, all they are going to think is "you wouldn't need to harass me for $25 if you stopped sending so many letters."

It seems to me that charities get caught up in a culture of fund raising. They need to always have some fund raising event going. This attracts people who are into the events and not into the charity and then it just feeds off itself.

ATS
04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
my parents get 2 or more pieces of junk mail soliciting donations for right wing bullsh1t a day

lately ive been sending the envelopes back empty when they have pre-paid the postage. the most pathetic ones like bishops of america or w/e never do

it seems like it's an effective fund-raising strategy to ask right wingers to fill out a multiple choice survey of their opinions on obama and his various policies. we get the same surveys sent to us multiple times a week. feels good to tell them i am "very left wing" and that obama's friendship with chavez does not alarm me, then mail it to them on their dime

ATS
04-29-2010, 09:59 PM
i would never give money to someone via facebook, even if it was for something i believed in

exactlythesame
04-29-2010, 11:54 PM
wtf is up with charity walks

what is walking doing for anyone

also:

I guess the moral of the story is it's easier to not have to ask ppl for charitable donations face to face. How do you guys go about this?

bring a gun

SlingeroGuitaro
04-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Flying to Toronto on June 18 to do a big 12 hour overnight walk for the cure thing either in Toronto or Hamilton or somewhere in that area. I don't really know what it's about my my girlfriends famil are a bunch of doctors and nurses and asked us to fly up. Yay drunk walks

pale_princess
04-30-2010, 12:17 PM
that sounds cool. what cure are you walking for?

cork_soaker
04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
TBA

SlingeroGuitaro
04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Relay For Life (http://convio.cancer.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=RFL_ON_homepage&s_locale=en_CA&s_src=Cancer.ca&s_subsrc=Ontario&utm_source=OntarioHomepage&utm_medium=Cancer.ca&utm_term=1003&utm_content=FeatureStory&utm_campaign=RelayForLife&__utma=1.773654342.1272666198.1272666198.127266619 8.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1272666198&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1272666198.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(orga nic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=relay%20for%20life%20on tario&__utmv=-&__utmk=168843041)

either in ancaster/dundas or Hamilton.

pale_princess
04-30-2010, 07:45 PM
cool. i'd pledge you but i don't have a cc.