View Full Version : Vacationing a human right, EU commissioner says

RopeyLopey
04-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Vacationing a human right, EU chief says (http://www.nationalpost.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=2923469)

The European Union has declared travelling a human right, and is launching a scheme to subsidize vacations with taxpayers' dollars for those too poor to afford their own trips.

Antonio Tajani, the European Union commissioner for enterprise and industry, proposed a strategy that could cost European taxpayers hundreds of millions of euros a year, The Times of London reports.

"Travelling for tourism today is a right. The way we spend our holidays is a formidable indicator of our quality of life," Mr. Tajani told a group of ministers at The European Tourism Stakeholders Conference in Madrid on April 15. Mr. Tajani was appointed to his post by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

____
It looks like EU chiefs are doing everything possible to sink EU even faster than it is going already. Can I move back to Canada, please?

Kahlo
04-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Oh for fuck sake this is just stupid.

sppunk
04-22-2010, 08:57 AM
I can't wait until the EU folds and/or is brutally attacked by opposing forces.

Kahlo
04-22-2010, 08:58 AM
I can't wait until you learn to think before you speak.

RopeyLopey
04-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Oh for fuck sake this is just stupid.I think for now it is only this one Italian clown talking about it, nothing has been approved yet. On the other hand, it nicely illustrates those guys have absolutely no idea what's going on in the real life. I can't wait what comes next.

Luke de Spa
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh for fuck sake this is just stupid.

not entirely. it's pie in the sky ridiculous right now, but the idea of human rights growing to meet the average person's expanding set of options over time (you know, assuming humanity manages to suck less and equalise more) is a good one

Luke de Spa
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
that said, i don't believe in human rights, so whatever

duovamp
04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Vacationing a human right, EU chief says (http://www.nationalpost.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=2923469)

The European Union has declared travelling a human right, and is launching a scheme to subsidize vacations with taxpayers' dollars for those too poor to afford their own trips.

Antonio Tajani, the European Union commissioner for enterprise and industry, proposed a strategy that could cost European taxpayers hundreds of millions of euros a year, The Times of London reports.

"Travelling for tourism today is a right. The way we spend our holidays is a formidable indicator of our quality of life," Mr. Tajani told a group of ministers at The European Tourism Stakeholders Conference in Madrid on April 15. Mr. Tajani was appointed to his post by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

____
It looks like EU chiefs are doing everything possible to sink EU even faster than it is going already. Can I move back to Canada, please?
I think it's more of an idea formed around trying to give incentives to Europeans to travel to certain areas. Italy probably wants more money/tourism, so they want to make their area more accessible to the masses. And the only to get something like this passed is under the name of a "human right."

hnibos
04-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I can't wait until the EU folds and/or is brutally attacked by opposing forces.

uhhh.......

Caine Walker
04-22-2010, 10:16 AM
why did you move out of canada to begin with, ropeylopey?

waltermcphilp
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Yea, who are you being with?

duovamp
04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I want to being with waltermcphilp.

waltermcphilp
04-22-2010, 10:27 AM
You will always being with me, my son.

duovamp
04-22-2010, 10:36 AM
:love: We should being with some phat Doubledowns.

Caine Walker
04-22-2010, 10:36 AM
hey all the letters were there. i hate you guys.

duovamp
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Aww you know we love you, Tom.

Caine Walker
04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
i get excited sometimes, i can't help it.

waltermcphilp
04-22-2010, 10:39 AM
So excited and you just can't hide it.

28if
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM
vacationing should be a right. currently it doesn't make much sense to make this sort of legislation happen now, but as others have said i can see it (and hope it happens) in the future.

EU ftw, I'd much rather be a citizen of europe than the united states.

TuralyonW3
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
damn that's some great fodder for the british separatists

exactlythesame
04-23-2010, 12:22 AM
this is ridiculous

there are some things you earn

what's next? the EU subsidizing sex?

Toast
04-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Maybe it's a good idea. Taking the poor youths to the closed factories in England might give them the idea that once upon a time, people did actually work for a living vs. leaching off taxpayer money for free vacations.

severin
04-23-2010, 02:03 AM
damn that's some great fodder for the british separatists
realistically, the only way the brits could survive a separation from the eu would be to become a state of the U.S.

sppunk
04-23-2010, 08:23 AM
vacationing should be a right.

You are mentally retarded.

Luke de Spa
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
dude, rights, as a fundamental-slash-first-principle ethical underpinning, are a total fabrication. agreed? if you accept that, and subsequently that rights are simply utilitarian shorthand for "oughts", what's so bad about the idea that, ceteris paribus, humans should be allowed some respite from labour? i mean, unless you want to be a libertarian dickhead, in which case all power to you

sppunk
04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Companies shouldn't be forced to provide vacation leave and no way in hell should taxes be implemented so poor people can go to Disneyland Paris or whatever the fuck.

If you want to travel awesome, but pay for it with earned money. It is no wonder EU countries have historically high unemployment rates.

Luke de Spa
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
that's not an argument, that's just a series of statements.

if you want to blame high unemployment on mandated paid vacation leave, i'd like to see some evidence. perhaps you could demonstrate that EU countries have, historically, unemployment rates that are higher than, say, the united states, which presumably sucks at paid vacation leave. that'd be a start

sppunk
04-23-2010, 08:47 PM
My bitch isn't about mandated leave (I don't agree with it but can tolerate) - it is about taxpayers subsidizing vacations for other citizens.

The unemployment rates (on phone so can't post) are indicitive of the mentality presented here - that the state will take care of you even if you have no skills or motivation. Laziness is rewarded, etc.

ATS
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
theres too many ppl

exactlythesame
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
everything is unfair, suck it up or die