View Full Version : REQUEST: Premasters

njackson
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm looking for any pre-masters of major albums. I've already got a copy of the Machina Premasters, and the MSOTS rough mixes (only contains 8 of the 14 MSOTS tracks).

I'm especially interrested in a full Premaster version of MSOTS, and a Zeitgeist Premaster. I know at least the latter exists, but to my knowledge hasn't been shared. So on behalf of everyone who wants a notcompressedtoshit version of Zeitgeist, I ask: Please?

lucid_interval
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
MSOTS premasters and rough mixes exist for some tracks, i only have them in FLAC, maybe someone with a decent upload speed will be beat me to it

Spaldz
02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
I used to have the MSOTS premasters and rough mixes but they appear to have been lost over the years. Wouldn't mind having them again I guess.

T&T
02-17-2010, 11:09 PM
zeitgeist premasters have NOT circulated. how is it you "know this"?

8 tracks of MSOTS of premasters exist. you probably have this. . I don't think any more have circulated.

lucid_interval
02-18-2010, 12:12 AM
maybe they got confused about the watermarked copy?

Slurpee
02-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Which versions are radically different, the premasters or the rough mixes? The rough mixes, right?

njackson
02-18-2010, 12:21 AM
I recall someone saying that they had a watermarked promo version of Zeitgeist, and they posted graphs that showed much more headroom and much less if any limiting/compression. If that turns out to be the same one from this (http://forums.netphoria.org/smashing-pumpkins-music-trading-post/166643-im-bored-someone-leak-something-2.html#post3498613) thread, then I would be wrong. I'm pretty sure the one I'm thinking of was posted on Hipsters United, but the site's down atm.

redbull
02-18-2010, 02:16 AM
Which versions are radically different, the premasters or the rough mixes? The rough mixes, right?

rough mixes

Cool As Ice Cream
02-18-2010, 02:42 AM
I recall someone saying that they had a watermarked promo version of Zeitgeist, and they posted graphs that showed much more headroom and much less if any limiting/compression. If that turns out to be the same one from this (http://forums.netphoria.org/smashing-pumpkins-music-trading-post/166643-im-bored-someone-leak-something-2.html#post3498613) thread, then I would be wrong. I'm pretty sure the one I'm thinking of was posted on Hipsters United, but the site's down atm.

you are correct: it was on hipsters united. that's also the reason why i chased these watermarked copies. but disappointingly, they don't contain the premaster.

this is what i think happened: someone got a watermarked copy and made his own rip. this rip wasn't a proper rip, but a play-and-capture rip, most likely with a cd player connected to his computer. the recording level was probably a bit low, making the waves on the graph shrink. afterwards, this rip was mp3 encoded, and this deformed the waves on the graph, making it look like non-compressed audio with lots of headroom.

the person on hipsters united assumed that mp3 compression doesn't change the look of the audio on a graph, but that's an incorrect assumption.
i think you can create the same effect by ripping any version of zeitgeist, reducing the volume a bit, and then encoding it to mp3.

i guess you can stop knowing it exists now (that is, on a cd somewhere - obviously it exists, but most likely only in the hands of bc+jc).

T&T
02-18-2010, 10:04 AM
here's an upload of the 6 track Zwan Roughmixes in mp3 (does lossless exist?)
Download ZWAN roughmixes.rar from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (http://www.sendspace.com/file/ghgy6f)

Cool As Ice Cream
02-18-2010, 10:58 AM
i thought lossless existed, yes.

lucid_interval
02-18-2010, 02:19 PM
here Zwan - roughmixes [FLAC].rar (http://www.mediafire.com/?reimdmf2zjz)

lucid_interval
02-18-2010, 04:09 PM
and Download Zwan - premasters [FLAC].rar from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (http://www.sendspace.com/file/u04hbo)

njackson
02-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I've Got,
1. Lyric
2. Yeah
3. Endless Summer
4. Honestly
5. Settle Down
6. Ride a Black Swan
7. Desire
8. Baby Let's Rock

I'm pretty sure they're the rough mixes, but that's 8 tracks, not 6. These definitely don't clip like the cd version.

T&T
02-20-2010, 03:14 PM
that's the tracklist for he "premasters"

the rough mixes track list is
01) Yeah
02) Lyric
03) Ride A Black Swan
04) Honestly
05) Baby Let's Rock
06) Endless Summer

these rough mixes definitely sound like "rough mixes". worth checking out.
the premasters sound like the final mixes.

lucid_interval
02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Zwan : Mary Star of the Sea - PRE-MASTERS

01) Lyric
02) Yeah
03) Endless Summer
04) Honestly
05) Settle Down
06) Ride a black Swan
07) Desires
08) Baby let's Rock

Source : CD>FLAC-FILE>CDR

-

Zwan : Mary Star of the Sea - Rough Mix

01) Yeah
02) Lyric
03) Ride A Black Swan
04) Honestly
05) Baby Let's Rock
06) Endless Summer

Source : CD>FLAC-FILE>CDR

njackson
02-20-2010, 04:03 PM
This definitely is mastered much quieter than the cd version though, but you're saying it clips just like the album version?