View Full Version : what's worse?

Cade McNown
02-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Widow Wake my Mind vs. FOL. Both repetitive and blow.

thomas_bland
02-02-2010, 07:07 AM
FOL is a nothing song. At least Widow Wake My Mind has a unique if a little 'toytown' style, great keys, backing vocals and decent guitars.

No contest.

redbull
02-02-2010, 07:11 AM
widow. at least FOL had some level on which it wasn't totally offensive

Mo
02-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I detest them both equally.

jczeroman
02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
FOL is a nothing song. At least Widow Wake My Mind has a unique if a little 'toytown' style, great keys, backing vocals and decent guitars.

No contest.

this.

slunken
02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Woah woah woah - FOL is light years better than Widow

Kahlo
02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
FOL had JC - which is the only reason I voted for WWMM

srt4b
02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
fol is utter shit. widow is just a boring pop song.

slunken
02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
"There's magic everywhere" is my favorite Billy lyric in forever. :D

Skradgee
02-02-2010, 12:51 PM
FOL had JC - which is the only reason I voted for WWMM

Yeah yeah.

Corganist
02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
FOL is worse.

I'm convinced that the only reason we have even heard FOL is because Billy needed a song for Hyundai, and it was the only commercial-sounding thing he had left from the Zeitgeist sessions that was in any kind of releasable state. As it is though, it's still an incredibly lazy and half-baked song. Say what you will about Widow, but at least Billy tried a little on it.

Kahlo
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Both are worse than cancer for sure.

pumpkins
02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
HoneySpider

nofix
02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
FOL isn't that bad.

reprise85
02-02-2010, 11:18 PM
"There's magic everywhere" is my favorite Billy lyric in forever. :D

:warp:

paranoid
02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
get rid of the 'come on and feel our love' bit and FOL is a decent song. *** for JC kicking his usual ass as well.

WWMM has zero redeeming qualities. It sucks more than corganist.

Corganist
02-03-2010, 12:50 PM
get rid of the 'come on and feel our love' bit and FOL is a decent song.

The "feel our love" stuff is about 75 percent of the song. It'd barely be able to be called a song if that much were cut out of it. If anything, the song needed to be beefed up a little. A little more lyrical variety or god forbid a guitar solo could have made it better.

WWMM has zero redeeming qualities. It sucks more than corganist.

That's not saying anything. Almost everything sucks more than I do.

Widow is by far the better song of the two. Arguably it's a worse recording, but I don't think that when you balance it out that it matters. Look at it this way, if Billy were in a room with you with just an acoustic guitar, and he gives you a choice of playing either FOL or Widow on it, which would you think would sound least disastrous?

paranoid
02-03-2010, 01:24 PM
blah blah me me me me blah blah blah

um, FOL. duh.

I mean I'd take that whole 'follow the white hot sun' bit acoustic over any bit of widow any day.

and man, for a know nothing dumb fuck, you're super easy to rile up.

Corganist
02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
um, FOL. duh.

I mean I'd take that whole 'follow the white hot sun' bit acoustic over any bit of widow any day.

But you'd also have to listen to him droning "come on feel our love" over and over and over again over the same boring guitar part without it even having the benefit of electric guitars or Jimmy's drumming (and even with those things the song doesn't rise to being anything special).

Despite all it's other faults, WWMM wouldn't fall apart completely if it were played by different people or in a slightly different style. It actually can only improve from what we got in the studio version. But FOL is barely even a song anymore without the particular instrumentation it uses and Jimmy's drumming. Would FOL still be better if Mike Byrne drummed on it? Surely not.

paranoid
02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
But you'd also have to listen to him droning "come on feel our love" over and over and over again over the same boring guitar part without it even having the benefit of electric guitars or Jimmy's drumming (and even with those things the song doesn't rise to being anything special).

Despite all it's other faults, WWMM wouldn't fall apart completely if it were played by different people or in a slightly different style. It actually can only improve from what we got in the studio version. But FOL is barely even a song anymore without the particular instrumentation it uses and Jimmy's drumming. Would FOL still be better if Mike Byrne drummed on it? Surely not.

omg you really don't get it. there are at least parts of fol i can stand. there are ZERO parts of widow that I can tolerate. FOL wins this for that reason. Those specific parts would be fine standing alone. widow just sucks balls all around no matter how it's being played.

Cade McNown
02-03-2010, 04:16 PM
HoneySpider

if he wants to be repetitive why cant he make them like honeyspider or rhinoceros anymore :cry:

Corganist
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
omg you really don't get it. there are at least parts of fol i can stand. there are ZERO parts of widow that I can tolerate. FOL wins this for that reason. Those specific parts would be fine standing alone. widow just sucks balls all around no matter how it's being played.

Whatever you have to tell yourself, I guess. I just personally see it as an all or nothing deal. To me, an overall badly or lazily written song that happens to have a couple decent parts buried in there doesn't beat a song that's just plain mediocre.

But to each his own.

dustrock
02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Woah woah woah - FOL is light years better than Widow

agreed. I also like FOL > GLOW

paranoid
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Whatever you have to tell yourself, I guess. I just personally see it as an all or nothing deal. To me, an overall badly or lazily written song that happens to have a couple decent parts buried in there doesn't beat a song that's just plain mediocre.

But to each his own.

fuck.. you just can't grasp the concept that OTHER PEOPLE BESIDES YOU FIND WWMM TO BE AN ABSOLUTE USELESS PIECE OF SHIT YOU FUCKING MORON.

I'm sorry, I was wrong, you suck worse than wwmm. I'd rather listen to that on repeat for 3 years straight than have to acknowledge your presence in the world.

Springbridge
02-03-2010, 11:18 PM
I remember when listening to FOL I thought it was really bad. But nowadays I can't even remember what FOL stands for or what the song sounds like. That's how minuscule and unmemorable FOL was. Window wake is a better song.

Corganist
02-03-2010, 11:50 PM
fuck.. you just can't grasp the concept that OTHER PEOPLE BESIDES YOU FIND WWMM TO BE AN ABSOLUTE USELESS PIECE OF SHIT YOU FUCKING MORON.

What the fuck do you think "to each his own" means, asshole?

I grasp that you hate the song. I don't care that you hate the song. I don't care if everyone on the board hates the song. I just don't share in the irrational burning hatred for it, so I'm going to speak up when I think it is being compared unfavorably to what I see to be lesser songs. It's not because I'm out to change your or anyone else's mind on the subject, but merely because my opinion is (at the very fucking least) as valid as yours, so I'm gonna shoot my mouth off every bit as much. Get the fuck over it. I think FOL is worse than Widow. I'll continue making that case as long as I think it needs to be made.

paranoid
02-04-2010, 12:27 AM
What the do you think "to each his own" means, ?

I grasp that you hate the . I don't care that you hate the song. I don't care if everyone on the board hates the song. I just don't share in the irrational burning hatred for it, so I'm going to speak up when I think it is being compared unfavorably to what I see to be lesser songs. It's not because I'm out to change your or anyone else's mind on the subject, but merely because my opinion is (at the very least) as valid as yours, so I'm gonna shoot my mouth off every bit as much. Get the over it. I think FOL is worse than . I'll continue making that case as long as I think it needs to be made.

obviously you do care you nimmy.

Corganist
02-04-2010, 02:00 AM
obviously you do care you nimmy.

I just want to talk about Billy and his music. That's all I care about, man. I'm sorry my opinions on things generally run counter to yours, but I just don't understand why it is you take it so personally. So what if I have a different opinion than you on the artistic merits of WWMM or FOL and want to say so? Enough people here agree with you, so why get your panties so in a twist that one person dares to not fall over themselves telling you how right you are?

I respect your right to have whatever opinion you want, but that doesn't mean I can't or won't tell you that it is wrong or that its justifications are weak. Sorry if you can't handle it, but this is just supposed to be in the name of having a discussion like adults. Almost everything we say here is all subjective anyway.

Except that WWMM > FOL. That's just a fucking fact. :D

paranoid
02-04-2010, 02:15 AM
lol at you identifying yourself as an adult.

Jesus Cambodia
02-04-2010, 11:05 AM
lol at this discussion being characterized as "adult"

Pop Tart
02-05-2010, 12:05 AM
if he wants to be repetitive why cant he make them like honeyspider or rhinoceros anymore :cry:
Yes!

Some of The Marked songs are better than the current ones.