View Full Version : Why didn't Billy play like this more often?

Gish08
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9hYPo2py77A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9hYPo2py77A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I don't get it. That's some serious shredding and technically brilliant. It puts him well ahead of pretty much anyone else from the major 90's rock bands. It makes the Geek USA solo look extremely simple. And, yet, the Geek USA solo live, with rare exception, was always pretty random and nothing like the studio, in fact it was kind of flat. Why did he play like that if he had the skill seen in the video above? It makes no sense.

He did some cool shit with his guitar as the years went on, but not a consistent, all-out shred-fest like that. What gives?

nofix
01-18-2010, 08:39 PM
he probably didn't want people to see him with his mouth open like that. also, could he even play like that without the aerodynamic mullet?

Shallowed
01-18-2010, 08:43 PM
It's not alternative, man.

McCollum
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
A solo like that makes it look like you practice. the 90s were all about making it look like you don't care, well the stuff that sold really well anyway. remember billy is all about the money. oh and empty promises. hey thats a catchy title. Money and empty promises. Billy should write a song with that being the main theme. should be a cinch since he knows so much about both.

Gish08
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Pasta of Muppet: So what? He hates "alternative" or "grunge" now, and has joked about it in the past couple years. Go back to metal. Stop this "Widow Wake My Mind" bullshit.

Gish08
01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Money and empty promises
22 b-sides, one every month

Rairun
01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
As much as I hate to defend Bill, he probably didn't play anything like that because it looks good but sounds horrible. That stuff is only cool for 18 year old kids who think, "Wow! Maynard screams for 30 whole seconds in The Grudge!"

Iodine_Red
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
As much as I hate to defend Bill, he probably didn't play anything like that because it looks good but sounds horrible. That stuff is only cool for 18 year old kids who think, "Wow! Maynard screams for 30 whole seconds in The Grudge!"

The Grudge is fucking bad ass by the way.

hcueva
01-18-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't get it. That's some serious shredding and technically brilliant.

You obviously know nothing about music.

stumpycat
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
This. It's pure wankery. Although in and of itself the playing kicks ass, the main concern became how it's going to fit into the context of an actual song. Billy wanted to do more than the pure testosterone rock sort of thing. A few people, maybe Eddie Van Halen, can make this style of playing sound truly melodic. Also, this sort of playing, to me, is really more about pushing physical motor coordination to its limits than any actual virtuosity. I can sit there and trill like a mofo all up and down the neck--and it sounds kind of cool--but I can't represent that as actually being spectacular (especially if you get the "trick" of how to do it.)

redbreegull
01-18-2010, 11:33 PM
You obviously know nothing about music.

http://forums.netphoria.org/customavatars/avatar14664_3.gif

Dogfighter28
01-18-2010, 11:37 PM
It sounds like ass

Catherine Wheel
01-18-2010, 11:52 PM
It's funny because the stuff he did a year or so later with the Marked was completely different. Much more new wave / post-punk influenced.

cardiac
01-19-2010, 12:57 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Twwo4WN06io&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Twwo4WN06io&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1:50 onwards

He did display his shredding chops every now and then back in the day. But nothing like the video you posted, thank god.

duovamp
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
^ Man Billy was such a total bad-ass.

redbreegull
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
The best guitarists know when not to play. As terrible as the songs have gotten, b0lly is a seriously excellent guitarist.

tweedyburd
01-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Just a masturbatory exercise, and a tonal crapfest to boot.

duovamp
01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
The best guitarists know when not to play. As terrible as the songs have gotten, b0lly is a seriously excellent guitarist.

The best drummers know when not to play, the best guitarists know when to play.

redbreegull
01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
The best drummers know when not to play, the best guitarists know when to play.

oh, ok

duovamp
01-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Believe me, I'm a sound engineer with a big degree in sound engineering, and a minor in whale biology.

slunken
01-19-2010, 05:02 PM
It sounds like ass

yea but it looks like he's having fun

exactlythesame
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't get it. That's some serious shredding and technically brilliant. It puts him well ahead of pretty much anyone else from the major 90's rock bands. It makes the Geek USA solo look extremely simple. And, yet, the Geek USA solo live, with rare exception, was always pretty random and nothing like the studio, in fact it was kind of flat. Why did he play like that if he had the skill seen in the video above? It makes no sense.

He did some cool shit with his guitar as the years went on, but not a consistent, all-out shred-fest like that. What gives?

bolded parts are WRONG

slunken
01-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Except yours though, right?

exactlythesame
01-19-2010, 07:25 PM
RIGHT

cork_soaker
01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Twwo4WN06io&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Twwo4WN06io&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mmm, this was a nice dose of awesome

Funky_Gibbon
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
^ Man Billy was such a total bad-ass.

He'd have had to be to get away with wearing those shirts. :D

stumpycat
01-20-2010, 11:40 PM
I love that concert you linked to; the way the sound gets dampened makes the drums sound extra flat and punchy, especially the snare. Also, Billy is sooo fucking stoned. (Not obvious here, but in other videos from the show it sure is!)

Shallowed
01-21-2010, 12:12 AM
He did display his shredding chops every now and then back in the day. But nothing like the video you posted, thank god.

I Am One from Vieuphoria is also a pretty good exemplar.

dudehitscar
01-21-2010, 05:00 AM
well to be honest I think that kind of guitar playing may be well and good for Van Halen but it's doesn't have much soul.

I say the Cherub Rock solo is a million times better than that in most ways.

still that is a neat clip and it's cool to see Corgan play like that.

I couldn't imagine most pumpkins song utilizing that kind of style.

seign
01-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Believe me, I'm a sound engineer with a big degree in sound engineering, and a minor in whale biology.

this is the post i meant to +

D.
01-21-2010, 10:49 AM
well ... that's a new av for me

nofix
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
lolol

Et Cetera
01-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Years ago I bought the MCIS guitar tab collection and it was prefaced with a series of Guitar World articles written by BC about songwriting. He made nothing but great points. He stressed time and again that the song itself was the most important thing. If a single part compromised the whole, then the part should be removed or edited. Guitar playing like the one in the video is nothing anyone wants to hear. He even says in one of those articles something like, "Steve Vai may play the guitar with technical virtuosity, but no one gives a damn about it, except maybe for other guitarists." He's right. Serious music fans know the names Satriani and Vai, for example, but everyone and their brother-in-law can hum the solo to "Beat It."

slunken
01-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Nerdy, over-the-hill music fans know the names Satriani and Vai, for example, but everyone and their brother-in-law can hum the solo to "Beat It."

Fixed, in bold.