View Full Version : what about the atheist fans?

SPLATTER
01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
What about Sp's atheist fans? Does anyone else wish he's just STFU about god. I just don't care. It's like he thinks its so cool and subversive to talk about god so much.

In that recent mtv video interview, he made a point of how unique it was for him to be talking about religion, and how people say 'ooooh, don't go there' ... its like he's trying to be dangerous ... but its just boring as hell.

I also find it kind of alienating, given that i don't care what he thinks about god or spirituality. As an athiest, the whole issue is so irrelevent to me.

The funny thing is, for all his talk about spirituality, for all the blogs and vague lyrics, i've never heard Billy say one thing meaninful on the topic. It's always just been an annoying hodge podge of abstractions and phrases that sound deep but mean nothing....

"God is everything from here to there" ... okay, cool... wtf does that have to do with anyone getting through their day.

Mo
01-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Erm.. yes?

lucid_interval
01-07-2010, 09:48 AM
with anything like this, people can believe what they want, i dont need to hear about it though. i'd rather he wrote love songs, but that's up to him.

hnibos
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
atheists should go kill themselves

Mo
01-07-2010, 09:52 AM
http://forums.netphoria.org/customavatars/avatar13686_19.gif (http://forums.netphoria.org/members/hnibos.html)

hnibos
01-07-2010, 09:53 AM
What about Sp's atheist fans? Does anyone else wish he's just STFU about god. I just don't care. It's like he thinks its so cool and subversive to talk about god so much.

In that recent mtv video interview, he made a point of how unique it was for him to be talking about religion, and how people say 'ooooh, don't go there' ... its like he's trying to be dangerous ... but its just boring as hell.

I also find it kind of alienating, given that i don't care what he thinks about god or spirituality. As an athiest, the whole issue is so irrelevent to me.

The funny thing is, for all his talk about spirituality, for all the blogs and vague lyrics, i've never heard Billy say one thing meaninful on the topic. It's always just been an annoying hodge podge of abstractions and phrases that sound deep but mean nothing....

"God is everything from here to there" ... okay, cool... wtf does that have to do with anyone getting through their day.

this rant is just as annoying if not more than billys rants about god

Mo
01-07-2010, 09:55 AM
http://forums.netphoria.org/customavatars/avatar13686_19.gif (http://forums.netphoria.org/members/hnibos.html) theists should go kill themselves<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

hnibos
01-07-2010, 09:59 AM
im gonna go listen to pavement

chris1979
01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Atheism isn't very popular on US forums mate, in previous discussions here I had to learn that the equality has to stop somewhere...
Personally, I don't think the whole "god" thing has helped SP in any way, in fact I think it's only doing damage. But It's not something that would make me stop listening to the music and the new stuff that's coming out. Then on the other hand if that is what makes Billy happy, I feel happy for him too.

Panthalassa
01-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Billy is a theist and I'm sure he likes a lot of atheist musicians. Is it so hard for an atheist to like a theist musician? I'm a theist and I like plenty of atheists. I don't feel alienated at all.

SPLATTER
01-07-2010, 10:59 AM
he can believe what he wants, i don't begrudge that.

it's just tiresome hearing him go on about something i don't care about. the bottom line is, its alienating in the sense that it just doesn't connect to me, and im guessing other athiest fans.

The issue doesn't have universal appeal, and so by him being so fixated on spirtuality this or that, images, blogs, lyrics, and now a book etc, he excludes a chunk of his audience.

Of course he can do what he wants, and of course he shouldn't strive to be everything to everyone ... it's just as a fan, it's a bit of a turn off, and i only see him getting more and more fixated on it.

Pizza Club
01-07-2010, 11:10 AM

it's just tiresome hearing him go on about something i don't care about. the bottom line is, its alienating in the sense that it just doesn't connect to me, and im guessing other athiest fans.

The issue doesn't have universal appeal, and so by him being so fixated on spirtuality this or that, images, blogs, lyrics, and now a book etc, he excludes a chunk of his audience.

Of course he can do what he wants, and of course he shouldn't strive to be everything to everyone ... it's just as a fan, it's a bit of a turn off, and i only see him getting more and more fixated on it.

Shutup

lambert
01-07-2010, 11:16 AM

it's just tiresome him go on about something i don't care about. the bottom line is, its alienating in the sense that it just doesn't connect to me, and im guessing other athiest .

Agreed. More power to him for doing what he wants, but it obviously isn't going to connect with someone like me who thinks it's all pretty silly to begin with. That said, despite his religiousness, I don't feel it's as prevalent in the music as some make it out to be.

russian iha
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
As far as original post is annoying (I personally think that B0ll can babble whatever he wants, it's his right), what really amazes me is how everyone is so cool with the fact that CORGAN IS IN THE FUCKING SECT.

Hey people, it's a sect! It's a community which may go as far as Manson-type massacre sometime. It desolates its members' brains. It sucks their money. It changes the person completely, making slave out of him. This must be Corgan's private matter, but it scares me a lot.

slunken
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM
http://pauseitmedia.com/images/vc/splatterhouse2.GIF

Mo
01-07-2010, 01:54 PM
As far as original post is annoying (I personally think that B0ll can babble whatever he wants, it's his right), what really amazes me is how everyone is so cool with the fact that CORGAN IS IN THE FUCKING SECT.

Hey people, it's a sect! It's a community which may go as far as Manson-type massacre sometime. It desolates its members' brains. It sucks their money. It changes the person completely, making slave out of him. This must be Corgan's private matter, but it scares me a lot.

Yeah, it has been pointed out before. I try to mention the Source Family as often as possible, simply because I find it hilarious. Such douchebaggry, it really amazes me.

thomas_bland
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
The only thing that atheists had going for them was that they didn't preach, since Dawkins came along that's all changed. I don't really like the quasi-religious stuff Bill goes on about that but I really dislike atheists pompous attitude.

It's like they saw how ridiculous fundamentalists were and thought I could do that.

"Oh my science"

cardiac
01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't care too much if his songwriting was still top notch.

SPLATTER
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't A too much if his songwriting was still top notch.

probobly right

aztec litany service
01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
religion must be eliminated if humanity is to fulfill its potential. any belief in sth for which there can be no proof must be expelled before we can get out of this mess we're in.

wHATcOLOR
01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
i feel you on this SPLATTER

srt4b
01-07-2010, 03:56 PM
OP is legit

Ugly
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Oh, goody. Another chance for atheists to piss and moan. Joy.

Mablak
01-08-2010, 04:40 AM
I'm an atheist and I liked zwan. In light of that I can't say that the new stuff sucks ass entirely because of religion, and I can't say Billy's cult is that much more insane than any other religion, but I will say that Billy himself has become more irrational, inconsistent, and idiotic in his religious views than ever, and that's probably the main problem.

Astur
01-08-2010, 06:22 AM
i don't believe shit, i'm not even an atheist

i just want some fucking quality music from him

TheDeuce
01-08-2010, 06:37 AM
i feel you on this SPLATTER

same here.

smashingjj
01-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Atheist fans can be annoying. Always posting about how seminal technical their metal is and shit.

CrabbMan
01-09-2010, 05:30 AM
religion must be eliminated if humanity is to fulfill its potential. any belief in sth for which there can be no proof must be expelled before we can get out of this mess we're in.

Is there any proof that life is preferable to non-life? No, but I'm going to take it on faith that it is, because otherwise suicide is the most reasonable and efficient decision.

Luke de Spa
01-09-2010, 05:38 AM
Atheist fans can be annoying. Always posting about how seminal technical their metal is and shit.

fuck you all i care about is seminal technical metal and the lack of it here is really a shame. coal chamber, anyone?

Luke de Spa
01-09-2010, 05:39 AM
seriously though AS AN ATHEIST who the fuck cares what bill says on his blog

just release some fucking music already, that's what you're supposed to be good at right

Jesus Cambodia
01-09-2010, 05:23 PM
The only thing that atheists had going for them was that they didn't preach, since Dawkins came along that's all changed. I don't really like the quasi-religious stuff Bill goes on about that but I really dislike atheists pompous attitude.

It's like they saw how ridiculous fundamentalists were and thought I could do that.

"Oh my science"

The attitude is necessary. Look at the Bush years. Look at Sarah Palin. Dignity isn't an option, unfortunately. Every brainwashed superstitious moron out there needs to be called out for what they are. In an age when it is clear that the religions of the world are cultural and regional myths and legends, allowing these nutcases to blather their nonsense unanswered is inexcusable.

Mablak
01-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Can't believe this thread is only just now getting into seminal technical metal

Et Cetera
01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
This is my first post. Just sayin.

Anywho, even as a devoted atheist, I couldn't care less that BC speaks of God all the time. As I see it, his interpration of God is only a small step away from atheism. What he's getting at is forgiving and love and all that jazz. He's not speaking of Moses and Muhammed and avoiding pork and killing the firstborn of Egypt. It's a metaphor. I don't use this metaphor because I think we can easily do without it, but some people insist that we need the supernatural, and so it goes.

Of all theistic stances, BC's is toward the admirable end. No harm there.

Gish08
01-09-2010, 10:24 PM

Yep.

Seeing as how Billy used to basically be agnostic, if not borderline agnostic, as an agnostic myself I'm terribly disappointed in the god-fearing pussy he's become.

I think he suffers from a serious identity crisis after years of drugs and drama, came to terms with it after SP's glory days, and decided to become a man of faith. At the core, Billy Corgan is totally lost with no real grasp on reality or his sanity. He knows it, and probably realizes this is what's best for him. I still don't even think he knows who the fuck he is sometimes.

If the Billy Corgan of 1986, 1993 or even 1997 knew he'd be a Christian nutcase and shagging shallow bitches like Jessica Simpson, he probably would have wanted to die, or at the very least stopped making music immediately, ashamed of his future self. That's how radically different Billy is today. Two completely different people.

slunken
01-09-2010, 10:34 PM
I think he suffers from a serious identity crisis after years of drugs and drama, came to terms with it after SP's glory days, and decided to become a man of faith...I still don't even think he knows who the fuck he is sometimes.

most logical explanation to me but then again most of us could fall into this category. billy's such an everyman.

Gish08
01-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Billy's far from an everyman. Even back in the 90's, he was always a very different, often strange individual. But damn, he was so talented it didn't even matter. He still is, but he's not thinking it through and thus is not applying his talents correctly. Instead, he's wrapped up in his own retarded idea of what god is and letting that world view severely obstruct what makes him a genius.