View Full Version : Driving thread

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 05:31 PM
recently i got really bored with music and have found AM radio a lot more worthwhile while driving. i drive a little more than 1500 miles a month.

i've found it interesting listening to the traffic reports, trying to visualize all the different accidents going on at any given time.

most amusing to me lately are the reports of objects in the roadway that are impacting traffic.

i will be using this thread to keep a list of some items. we can use the thread for other driving related topics as well.

here's the list from the last two weeks:

a tent
a ladder
a table
50 pairs of shoes (announcer said, "i wonder who counted them!")
several cases of coca cola bottles
a washing machine
a large load of gravel

lumber
a drive train

kayak

mattress

several bundles of insulation
a person chasing a dog
a file cabinet

that's it so far... no mattresses yet. but i blieve it will come true eventually..

barden
08-04-2009, 05:34 PM
these are my two favourite driving songs at the moment:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qsJkbbUT9fM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qsJkbbUT9fM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVFvRiAWDgk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVFvRiAWDgk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 09:48 PM
mine is "traffic on the 8s".

i have a feeling the novelty is going to wear off after a while and i will graduate to npr

exactlythesame
08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
these are my two favourite driving songs at the moment:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qsJkbbUT9fM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qsJkbbUT9fM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVFvRiAWDgk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVFvRiAWDgk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

coll band

mercurial
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
i had a car for a while that had a broken radio. being a student at the time i was too poor to have it fixed or replaced. the conversations with myself started as a way to alleviate the boredom of driving long distances by myself, or being stuck in stop-start rush hour traffic. just posing a question to myself and then mulling over it... like a conversation in my head. then one day i started having these conversations out loud and that sort of stuck. it's a now an almost unavoidable habit. when i'm on my own in the car i'm often caught having a full blown argument out loud with myself.

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
that sounds pretty excellent. how do these arguments usually turn out? does one side win? impasse? i'm curious!

mercurial
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
i'd be lying if i said they haven't gotten a little unruly from time to time. last time it got a bit personal and i had to put a stop to things. ended up singing 'Satisfaction' for the rest of the drive.

edit: it just occurred to me that 'Satisfaction' is almost exclusively the song that i sing when riding my bicycle!

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
yeah, they recommend not driving when angry. please be careful

Mooney
08-04-2009, 10:17 PM
when i'm just farting around town i listen to my apple brand personal mp3 playing device on my car stereo on shuffle, but when i am going to school for seven to ten weeks stints of a fair distance commute, i listen to audiobooks.

duovamp
08-04-2009, 10:22 PM
I'll listen to the radio when I'm driving a car I'm borrowing from someone and I don't like what that person has in the CD player. But even then it's FM.

Are traffic reports helpful, or is it kind of like "Well at least I know I'm going to be raped" when you listen?

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
twice so far i've been able to take a slightly different route to avoid accidents, but that's not a very frequent thing. it's more that knowledge is my weapon against the unknown

Mayfuck
08-04-2009, 10:36 PM
yeah i like to know if i'm gonna get stuck in traffic or not. I keep thinking AM radio is going to be a bastion outsider stations with lunatic rants or obscuro weirdo music programs just by the nature of AM radio but it never happens. nothing worthwhile on AM radio at all, just sports radio.

Joe
08-04-2009, 11:10 PM
today i was driving, and this truck had puled off to the side of the road, and the guy got out of the truck and started peeling a dead bird of of the pavement. i was only driving by, so that is all i saw but that right there is fucked up enough for me.

28if
08-05-2009, 02:06 AM
mine is "traffic on the 8s".

i have a feeling the novelty is going to wear off after a while and i will graduate to npr

NPR is the best. I usually either listen to that, my local news station, or CDs (mostly CDs).

Nimrod's Son
08-05-2009, 02:16 AM
NPR mostly sucks.

If I'm listening to the radio it's usually AM. Why would I listen to someone else programming shitty music when I have my own?

Trotskilicious
08-05-2009, 02:54 AM
yeah nimrod would think npr sucks

oh no information can't have that

Nimrod's Son
08-05-2009, 03:06 AM
NPR is a completely biased propaganda fest.

publius clodius
08-05-2009, 04:52 AM
yeah i love singing and talking to myself in the car

Trotskilicious
08-05-2009, 06:34 AM
NPR is a completely biased propaganda fest.

everything is

wHATcOLOR
08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
last night was lumber and a drive train, this morning was a kayak

hnibos
08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
yeah i like to know if i'm gonna get stuck in traffic or not. I keep thinking AM radio is going to be a bastion outsider stations with lunatic rants or obscuro weirdo music programs just by the nature of AM radio but it never happens. nothing worthwhile on AM radio at all, just sports radio.

i hear some pretty nutty things on am radio at night, but maybe it has something to do with florida. talks of the supernatural, extreme right wing nutjobs, spooky piano music.

ifuktyourmom
08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't know at which time of the day you drive, but there is a late night AM program called Coast to Coast AM. It's on at midnight central time. Most AM stations carry it. It's just full of ridiculous stuff. The paranormal, aliens, ufos, nutso conspiracy theories, that type of thing. The entertainment comes in when people call into the show that buy into all the crazy shit. I'm addicted to it. Try it out.

Mayfuck
08-05-2009, 03:24 PM
yeah i know about coast to coast AM. for some reason those kinds of things never fascinated me. i guess i dont like to give my time to the fantastical.

ifuktyourmom
08-05-2009, 03:25 PM
yeah i know about coast to coast AM. for some reason those kinds of things never fascinated me. i guess i dont like to give my time to the fantastical.
Basically, I just listen to it on the job. It's a serious time killer and that is one thing I am in dire need of when I am at work.

Mayfuck
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
i like to listen to NPR for international stories. i can't stress how much of a breath of fresh air these stories are after being inundated with all the american junk news that gets recycled over and over on the 24 hours news channels.

Order 66
08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
i listen to the college station. when they play something too arty - i.e. shitty - i listen to hannity and rush for the lulz

i'd listen to my music collection but my mp3 player broke ;(

barden
08-05-2009, 08:05 PM
once i was one my way home driving over the mountain and i picked up a really weird station on the radio. it didn't sound like anything from this country. It kinda creeped me out, it seemed strange. How do you think I randomly picked that up, and how far could a broadcast go? did it bounce off a satelite or something? it was very fuzzy and distorted and the voices seemed almost fanatical and desperate. i listened till i lost the signal.

ohnoitsbonnie
08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
once i was one my way home driving over the mountain and i picked up a really weird station on the radio. it didn't sound like anything from this country. It kinda creeped me out, it seemed strange. How do you think I randomly picked that up, and how far could a broadcast go? did it bounce off a satelite or something? it was very fuzzy and distorted and the voices seemed almost fanatical and desperate. i listened till i lost the signal.

;_;

Floppy Nono
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM

makes me think of a certain song

wHATcOLOR
08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
that's it so far... no mattresses yet. but i blieve it will come true eventually..

MATTRESS!!!! yes!! there was a mattress!!! in your FACE, cherubdaydream!!

also today had several bundles of insulation, a file cabinet, and a person chasing a dog

hnibos
08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
guy must have been vicious

wHATcOLOR
08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
what guy

hnibos
08-11-2009, 03:28 PM
the one chasing a dog

ATS
08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
the other day there was this hideous smashed-up leopard-print chair on the road and they had 2 tow trucks blocking it off but noone was doing s*** to pick it up

another time there was a boatload of clothes all over the shoulder and road

ATS
08-11-2009, 03:46 PM
baden u still got a bike?

RopeyLopey
08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
once i was one my way home driving over the mountain and i picked up a really weird station on the radio. it didn't sound like anything from this country. It kinda creeped me out, it seemed strange. How do you think I randomly picked that up, and how far could a broadcast go? did it bounce off a satelite or something? it was very fuzzy and distorted and the voices seemed almost fanatical and desperate. i listened till i lost the signal.you are catching radio signals from ships in your harbour. Maybe it is Flying Dutchman himself.

Mayfuck
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
saw an old lady drive onto an opposing lane today, completely oblivious. she looked like she must have been in her 80s or 90s

barden
08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
you are catching radio signals from ships in your harbour. Maybe it is Flying Dutchman himself.

That makes a lot of sense actually!!

baden u still got a bike?

Naw :(

Miss it. But still alive, thats good.
I just felt using it as my primary mode of transport every single day for long distances and in heavy traffic was eventually going to stack the odds against me. I had some crashes, but none of them too serious, and that was only due to luck. too many uncontrolable factors when you crash your bike. Like tar roads. And people driving over you.

duovamp
08-11-2009, 07:04 PM
So not to thread jack here, but I'm gonna take a drive from Pittsburgh to the VA coast, which is going to be 4-6.5 hours depending on how I drive.

What the hell is there to do on the road to pass the time aside from singing and thinking, and excluding masturbation?

barden
08-11-2009, 07:11 PM
go with friends who like the same music as you, bring weed and sing real loud to stupid songs.
and chase 100 sheeps!!

duovamp
08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm running solo on this journey. :(

barden
08-11-2009, 07:18 PM
chase the sheeps. sing loud on your own?

wHATcOLOR
08-11-2009, 07:19 PM
you could listen to AM radio and keep track of things they list that are obstructing traffic

Thaniel Buckner
08-11-2009, 07:20 PM
i listen to conservative talk radio for most of the time in the car. it's enraging. besides that i listen to the latest cdr i was enthused enough to burn on heavy rotation, although i don't do much driving. i've been listening to like nothing but shellac and ministry the entire week. it's been a weird week.

duovamp
08-11-2009, 07:31 PM
i listen to conservative talk radio for most of the time in the car. it's enraging. besides that i listen to the latest cdr i was enthused enough to burn on heavy rotation, although i don't do much driving. i've been listening to like nothing but shellac and ministry the entire week. it's been a weird week.

I'd probably intentionally wreck my car and kill myself after even a small dose of conservative talk radio.

you could listen to AM radio and keep track of things they list that are obstructing traffic

That's... true...

duovamp
08-11-2009, 07:31 PM
chase the sheeps. sing loud on your own?

Chase the sheeps? Is this like poes?

barden
08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
nah bru i chased the sheeps maybe 100 of them.

barden
08-11-2009, 07:36 PM
wait

duovamp
08-11-2009, 07:45 PM
*waits*

duovamp
08-11-2009, 07:47 PM
O_O Is that you in that video?

barden
08-11-2009, 07:48 PM
mebbie mebbie??

barden
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I just want to put this out there guys, but I think Mxzombie would make a great mod.
For real though.
If he has the free time and inclination, I think he'd have all the right qualities, and I'm not even trying to be funny, it is just an observational thought.

Do you think Andrew takes nominations? I think he should be under serious consideration.

mxzombie
08-11-2009, 08:04 PM
i appreciate your endorsement, but there are already 6 moderators on this board.

barden
08-11-2009, 08:06 PM
i'm going to campaign for you anyway. 7 is better than 6 in lots of ways.

Whose with me? I bet I could roust up some followers for this cause! If i could start new threads I'd start one now!

mxzombie
08-11-2009, 08:07 PM
well in any case as a mod i would practice according to the philosophy stated in my location.

barden
08-11-2009, 08:09 PM
i understand and appreciate that I may suffer for this cause, at the end of the day.

Maybe in some dirty twist of fate you'll end up banning me from netphoria, after I helped you rise to power.