View Full Version : severin, antipop, anyone else good with databases

wHATcOLOR
08-03-2009, 11:06 PM
i have a few questions, would you mind trying to help me a little bit?

thanks!

Nimrod's Son
08-04-2009, 02:04 AM
maybe it would help if you posted those questions

severin
08-04-2009, 02:21 AM
maybe it would help if you posted those questions

this

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 03:14 AM
a little background, most of my experience with databases has been as an end-user. first stuff like business objects and microstrategies to query and run reports. then i got into editing and creating new stored procedures to create transformations and build new tables i needed and all that with sql server, writing some sql and using it in query analyser, designing and building olap cubes with cognos, etc. but this was all with databases that were built by someone else, largely using and modifying existing processes in place to create what i needed.

and i haven't really done any of that in about two years.

so for this new thing, we've got a mysql database housing data from our production server.

i want to query against this data, but i don't want to touch the production environment. i've got crystal reports 2008 on hand for querying.

our guy suggested the following. he's going to write a script that will dump the database so that i can mount it locally in mysql on my machine. i only vaguely know what that means, and i haven't used mysql

i don;t have mysql loaded, so i'm basically asking for install/config advice. i'm assuming i download mysql community server? windows x64 since i have vista 64 bit?

do i want the complete version, or the essentials? log on as administrator and open a port? anything i should be aware of there?

was told to set up sftp -- any client universally regarded as the one to use?

i don't really know anything about scripts -- what should i expect there? how do i 'run' a script? is it likely the script will build the database, or is it likely he'll assume i have something already set up?

i will probably have some more questions once this is up and i'm trying to use the odbc connector to hook crystal up to it, but for now, i'm just trying to understand what's being set up..

thanks.

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 03:18 AM
p.s. this is for a short term solution, longer term as things stabilize, we'll move in the direction of data warehousing, etc. for now, i'm just trying to extract some intelligence from what we've got going on right now, and do it pretty quickly w/o much concern over sustainability of the process, etc.

severin
08-04-2009, 03:32 AM
version: community server 64 bit windows msi installer:

MySQL :: Select a Mirror (http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-5.1/mysql-5.1.37-winx64.msi/from/pick)

i'd suggest you get the gui-toolpack as well, since they really are a helpful addition and amke it easier to administrate and run querys (there is no dedicated x64 version, but the x86 should run with no problems):
MySQL :: Select a Mirror (http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQLGUITools/mysql-gui-tools-5.0-r17-win32.msi/from/pick)

with the gui you can connect to localhost on the specified port, which should be entered automatically and should work unless you change it during installing

for the sftp i can't help you there, but i'm pretty sure download.com has some good freeware stuff there.

if he creates a mysql-dump script for you, you will need to have a database locally already, as it will normally not be created by the script. i recommend emptying out the database before you run the script (or even better, drop the DB, create a new one, saves you a lot of hassle), especially if you make use of Foreign Key Constraints (which you should ;) ), since i have sometimes encountered problems with the sequence tables where dropped/created in conjunction with FK's in mysql-dump-scripts.

run the script in the query-tool against an empty database and you should be fine...

hope that helped, if you need any more, just drop me a pm or an email

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 03:38 AM
ok, thanks. how do i create a database that i can run the script against?

severin
08-04-2009, 03:43 AM
ok, thanks. how do i create a database that i can run the script against?

either use the administration tool, or use the following script:

DROP DATABASE [dbname];
CREATE DATABASE [dbname];

not, this will give you an error on the first line, if the db doesn't yet exist, but shoud still create it

btw: i've just looked it up, there IS a possibility to in<fuckthis>clude the drop/create in the dump-file of the db itself, so you could save yourself the trouble if the guy who provides it makes sure it is included

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 03:44 AM
del -- user error

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 03:47 AM
thanks, i'll give it a try..

any idea about the vista 'log on as administrator and open a port' thing -- will i need to do that for a script to run?

severin
08-04-2009, 03:51 AM
thanks, i'll give it a try..

any idea about the vista 'log on as administrator and open a port' thing -- will i need to do that for a script to run?

honestly, my vista experience is kinda low, but i'd suggest that you should run all the installers and the gui as admin to avoid trouble (although the gui might well run without). opening the port should not be a problem unless you want to access the database from outside the machine you run the mysql on, afaik localhost is excluded of the vista firewall rules

wHATcOLOR
08-04-2009, 03:59 AM
thank you for your guidance

severin
08-04-2009, 04:30 AM
thank you for your guidance

you're welcome, i hope it works out

redbull
08-04-2009, 04:47 AM
i'd recommend filezilla if you're looking for an ftp client

Nimrod's Son
08-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Severin covered everything already, but for an SFTP client for Vista, I'd go with WinSCP.

Mo
08-04-2009, 05:23 AM
FileZilla and WinSCP are both open-source and have about the same features, so it's more a question of taste. I prefer FZ.

ChristHimself!
08-04-2009, 05:42 AM
filezilla keeps randomly disconnected me from the ftp servers im connected to lately, and its not just the one server, its any

i should probably uninstall it and grab a newer version

i blame severin

severin
08-04-2009, 05:45 AM
i blame severin:(

ATS
08-04-2009, 11:40 AM
since youre running 64 bit vista youre going to have to refresh your system 32 files before you will get it wo work

wHATcOLOR
08-05-2009, 01:04 AM
hey nimrod or severin i was trying to configure mysql after installing the download from the link you provided. when i go to execute the configuration, it dies at "start service". it says "Cannot create Windows service for MySQL. Error: 0"

any suggestions?

wHATcOLOR
08-05-2009, 01:24 AM
i think it has to do witht he option "start this as a windows service" .. i don't even really know what that means

i think it also has to do with being logged into an account having administrative rights on my vista machine.. which i also don't really know the particulars of

Nimrod's Son
08-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Did you re-install or upgrade MySQL without first stopping and removing the existing MySQL service using the MySQL Configuration Wizard? This happens because when the Configuration Wizard tries to install the service it finds an existing service with the same name.

One solution to this problem is to choose a service name other than mysql when using the configuration wizard. This will allow the new service to be installed correctly, but leaves the outdated service in place. While this is harmless it is best to remove old services that are no longer in use.

To permanently remove the old mysql service, execute the following command as a user with administrative privileges, on the command-line:

C:\>sc delete mysql
[SC] DeleteService SUCCESS

Take a look at MySQL :: MySQL 5.1 Reference Manual :: 2.3.13 Troubleshooting a MySQL Installation Under Windows (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/windows-troubleshooting.html)

also this may happens when you have installed MyQL in the C:/Program Files/....
the space between Program & files also prevent from creating/starting service..
So install MySQL server in C:/ itself say C:/MYSQL

wHATcOLOR
08-12-2009, 01:06 AM
thanks -- i coudln't get the sc delete mysql thing to work w/o being administrator, which i still don't fucking thoroughly understand..

anyhow, got it installed, named it something else, not running as a windows service, did not install it in program files, did it right on the c drive as you said..

received the script to set up the DB today --

was hoping severin (or nimrod if you're familiar with it) could give me a run through of the fundamentals of what i've installed. specifically, the gui tools, etc. what do i need to run to get everything running. do i just open the query browser, and that will start up mysql community server too?

sorry if im being unclear, my brain isn't working too well, just had my first meal of solid food since friday..