View Full Version : if you were to buy a relatively cheap pc notebook, would you go for windows xp or vis

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 05:17 PM
ta?

all my info is really just heresay, and it's leading me to lean toward xp. so i'm reaching out for even more heresay.

what'd you go for, and why?

this is what i'm looking at. FRYS.com*|*LENOVO (444625U) (http://www.frys.com/product/5881633?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

this is just a machine to run basic business things like excel, xcelsius, crystal, quickbooks, stuff like that..

JokeyLoki
06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm just now starting to not hate Vista, but I still think XP is the way to go until Windows 7 comes out.

Mo
06-01-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm just now starting to not hate Vista, but I still think XP is the way to go until Windows 7 comes out.

This.

killtrocity
06-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Vista will waste your memory, while XP is more than adequate

ATS
06-01-2009, 05:30 PM
id get xp with 3 gb of ram. i have no complaints from my experience with vista, though. it's been scientifically proven that the bad rap it got was apple brainwashing at work, and that the average pig-at-the-teet gave vista ten stars out of five when they were told they werent using a micro$oft product

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
c00l. thanks guys

Nimrod's Son
06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Vista, preferably the 64 bit version.

If you get a notebook with XP on it it's probably fucking ancient equipment inside of it

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
between:

1st:

$600
windows xp
3 gb ram
250 gb hd
FRYS.com*|*LENOVO (444625U) (http://www.frys.com/product/5881633?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

and:

2nd:

$700
windows vista 64 bit
4 gb ram
320 gb hd
FRYS.com*|*Lenovo (59-018790) (http://www.frys.com/product/5881503?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

you'd pick the 2nd?

HD space delta isn't really relevant to me, i won't use that much. RAM is pretty cheap to upgrade. so i guess it's really whether or not the OS is going to be a pain in the buns. woudln't like to spend more and like it less..

AndySlash
06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
fuck vista. how's that for hearsay?

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 08:00 PM
profane

Luke de Spa
06-01-2009, 08:02 PM
my experience has been that they're much of a muchness if you turn off all the aero nonsense

those laptops have a pretty low screen resolution. i think it's always worth springing for a better display

bja1288
06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
its a toss up. i would prefer xp over 64 bit vista, which nothing takes advantage of.

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
im going to the store in like 15 minutes. anyone got any suggestions? looking to keep it cheap, less than $700 ideally, xp ideally

notebook link: FRYS.com (http://www.frys.com/template/notebook)

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 08:09 PM
what does much of a muchness mean?

Luke de Spa
do you still have your macbook? you can install windows on that

wHATcOLOR
also thanks for the input guys!

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
do you still have your macbook? you can install windows on that

i do. i bought VMware, and it brought it to its knees. i doubled the ram, and this is still the case. it's pretty much not useable for windows. it has windows 7, i wonder if that's part of the problem

also, there was something aobut VMware tools. install VMware tools to make it run faster. i did this. but each time i turn it on, i notice on the menu the option to install VMware tools. so i have no idea if it's installed, or how to make it stick, since i've installed it many times

Luke de Spa
06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
what does much of a muchness mean?

there's non a great deal of difference. xp is a little faster, vista has an improved explorer interface

Luke de Spa
06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
i do. i bought VMware, and it brought it to its knees. i doubled the ram, and this is still the case. it's pretty much not useable. it has windows 7, i wonder if that's part of the problem
i don't mean under virtualisation, i mean by using boot camp

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - Boot Camp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html)

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 08:11 PM
oh cool. i like learning things!

barden
06-01-2009, 08:12 PM
i think if i knew more about computers i'd get a lot more action.

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - Boot Camp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html)

so i don't have leopard. the idea would be, get leopard, then get windows? at some point i think i was told that bootcamp was to be set up when the machine was new, not after the fact... was that misinformation?

Luke de Spa
06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
so i don't have leopard. the idea would be, get leopard, then get windows? at some point i think i was told that bootcamp was to be set up when the machine was new, not after the fact... was that misinformation?

get leopard and windows and you're set. you don't have to do it when the machine is new

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 08:15 PM

this link to buy windows XP says: for windows, not mac..
Microsoft - Cheap Discount Software For You (http://www.cdsfu.com/index.php?categoryID=87)

think that's just to warn morons that it is a PC operating system? it should work with bootcamp, right?

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
is it much trouble to upgrade to leopard from whatever it is that i have? the one before

Luke de Spa
06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
any 32-bit full version (i.e. not an upgrade) of xp or vista should work. upgrading from tiger to leopard is pretty painless

Nimrod's Son
06-01-2009, 08:31 PM
between:

1st:

$600
windows xp
3 gb ram
250 gb hd
FRYS.com*|*LENOVO (444625U) (http://www.frys.com/product/5881633?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

and:

2nd:

$700
windows vista 64 bit
4 gb ram
320 gb hd
FRYS.com*|*Lenovo (59-018790) (http://www.frys.com/product/5881503?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)

you'd pick the 2nd?

HD space delta isn't really relevant to me, i won't use that much. RAM is pretty cheap to upgrade. so i guess it's really whether or not the OS is going to be a pain in the buns. woudln't like to spend more and like it less..
Even besides the OS... yes.

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 10:11 PM
i think i really want to keep my personal (mac) separate from business use.. considering this machine: Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV3-1075US 13.3-Inch Laptop (2.10 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Vista Premium) Bronze/Chrome: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV3-1075US-13-3-Inch-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B001NPE4OE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243912081&sr=8-1)

the store only had the floor model left, so i didn't get it there. seems pretty sweet, really liked the keyboard, etc., its as small as my macbook and will be good for traveling

edit: better link: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=NB094UA%23ABA&aoid=8023&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=20-18345231-2

barden
06-01-2009, 10:14 PM
back from the store bra?

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 10:20 PM
yeah mang!

sppunk
06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
J Lenovo is having incredible online deals right now. They are the best PC laptop on the market for your needs imo.

Tchocky
06-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I'd hold off on buying a new laptop until Windows 7 came out, but that's just me. Not knowing what you're going to use the computer for I'd choose XP.

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2009, 10:59 PM
i used to be a big ibm (lenovo) fan. had a thinkpad for work, and bought another one myself. thing died in less than 2 years i think. or less than 3. they're cool, but im ready to try something else. plus on their site, it takes a while for them to ship it to you.

i just bought the hp direct from their site, instant $150 rebate, $30 off coupon code, so with 2 day shipping, it'll be here for less than $800 bucks. thanks everyone for your input though, i appreciate it

Brute Squad
06-02-2009, 12:04 AM
As an IT dude, I'd recommend XP a thousand times over, as Vista is just annoying for consumers.

Luke de Spa
06-02-2009, 05:12 AM
you're painting with a broad brush there mr fogelsong. sure, a corolla is ample for most people but some of us are badass enough to handle a custom-tuned acura with all the options e.g. a big fuckin spoiler and go-fast stripes amirite

publius clodius
06-02-2009, 10:09 AM
anybody know an easy way to make a reliable boot disc for vista

Nimrod's Son
06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
... boot disc? just download umbuntu

Mo
06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
... boot disc? just download umbuntu

-.-

publius clodius
06-02-2009, 02:26 PM
it's called ubuntu and you're not helping at all

Mo
06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
How do you make a Vista boot disk? - Tech Support Guy Forums (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/597445-how-do-you-make-vista.html)
That's pretty much it.

Or you download an ISO via torrent and use your license.

Nimrod's Son
06-02-2009, 02:43 PM
it's called ubuntu and you're not helping at all

the hell do you need a vista boot disc for anyway? i use a linux boot cd when needed and can access all of my windows files

oh snap i typoed the OS name, you got me there chief

Nimrod's Son
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
How do you make a Vista boot disk? - Tech Support Guy Forums (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/597445-how-do-you-make-vista.html)
That's pretty much it.

you're telling him to get a recovery cd?

publius clodius
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
the hell do you need a vista boot disc for anyway?
i have a laptop with vista. it came without a boot disc. i need to format its hd and reinstall windows.

and i don't want to pay.

Brute Squad
06-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Laptops come installed with an OEM version of the operating system, and it's always specific to the manufacturer. Your Vista product key won't work with just any ol' Vista install disc. It has to be an OEM copy. So unless you can download an OEM copy of Vista for whatever manufacturer built your laptop, you're going to need to order it from the manufacturer, which means paying ~$20

Nimrod's Son
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
i have a laptop with vista. it came without a boot disc. i need to format its hd and reinstall windows.

and i don't want to pay.

you don't want a "boot disc" then. you want a restore disc. before you try to correct people who try to help you maybe you should ask the right questions.

what is the make/model of your laptop? most manufacturers do not provide the restore discs but have a utility on your system for you to burn them yourself from a hidden partition

Nimrod's Son
06-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Laptops come installed with an OEM version of the operating system, and it's always specific to the manufacturer. Your Vista product key won't work with just any ol' Vista install disc. It has to be an OEM copy. So unless you can download an OEM copy of Vista for whatever manufacturer built your laptop, you're going to need to order it from the manufacturer, which means paying ~$20

it's not really an OEM install disc, it's most likely a disc image.

Brute Squad
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
It depends on the manufacturer and sometimes product line (consumer/business). Some have, like you mentioned, a recovery disc, which is just an image and some have an OEM install disc. Dell and HP business laptops use an OEM install disc. The Lenovo business laptop I have uses a recovery disc.

publius clodius
06-02-2009, 04:43 PM
you don't want a "boot disc" then. you want a restore disc. before you try to correct people who try to help you maybe you should ask the right questions.
um... i corrected your dumb "umbuntu" comment and nothing else

god you're such an arrogant prick

rolmos
06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Ilove the way Dell activation is done by checking the BIOS. I got a Vista computer and simply used an XP Dell OEM disk. It was installed and activated without a problem without having to use a key. I hope the trick works whem I get my hands on a Windows 7 OEM next year.

Nimrod's Son
06-02-2009, 06:21 PM
um... i corrected your dumb "umbuntu" comment and nothing else

god you're such an arrogant prick
i put an extra "m" in and it's a dumb comment? maybe you still don't realize what the fuck a "boot disc" really is there, champion.

i mean you're the stupid prick who isn't smart enough to know how to make restore discs

Brute Squad
06-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I love the way Dell activation is done by checking the BIOS. I got a Vista computer and simply used an XP Dell OEM disk. It was installed and activated without a problem without having to use a key. I hope the trick works when I get my hands on a Windows 7 OEM next year.

It makes my job a whole lot easier.

Nimrod's Son
06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Ilove the way Dell activation is done by checking the BIOS. I got a Vista computer and simply used an XP Dell OEM disk. It was installed and activated without a problem without having to use a key. I hope the trick works whem I get my hands on a Windows 7 OEM next year.
Was it a true OEM install or just a drive image overlay? I just had to do a recovery on my Gateway, and I kind of wish I'd had the option of an OEM reinstall so I didn't have to format.

Brute Squad
06-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Dell OEM OS install discs are as you call them "a true OEM install" I've performed many repair-reinstalls (http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm) with a Dell OEM XP Pro disc, and it's exactly the same as using a retail, MSDN, VLK, or Corporate disc.

Joe
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
linix

barden
06-02-2009, 10:33 PM
as an IT dude I'm gonna tell you where IT's AT!!

Also: Ubuntu means 'the people' in zulu.

barden
06-02-2009, 10:42 PM
i'm gonna write a virus to infect yer systems.

my programming dick is so much bigger than yours.

Luke de Spa
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
^ wouldn't it'd be much easier for you to give them HIV

wHATcOLOR
06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
the machine i got comes with Windows Vista home premium 64-bit service pack 1

i tried to read a little bit to figure if i should install service pack 2, but i wasn't really able to figure it out. anyone know?

bja1288
06-04-2009, 08:17 PM
http://tinyurl.com/q6zrm9

edit i guess i kinda misread, but yea service packs are always good

Travis Meeks
06-04-2009, 08:35 PM
this thread is making me horny

barden
06-04-2009, 09:30 PM
this avatar story is confusing me.

wHATcOLOR
06-05-2009, 12:43 AM
when i first switched from PC to Mac, i found Mac pretty frustrating and i didn't really like it that much. however, switching back to a PC, i had to admit i now appreciate a lot of things about Macs. configuration of things, installing software, startup and shutdown times, are all better. plus the lack of need for virus software. the design itself is far superior, even though the PC i have has some pretty nice design elements and apes the macbook in some ways. also the sound is probably the most easy to notice difference, this sounds like a piece of shit compared to the macbook. that said, this cost me 800 bones with shipping and tax, and the macbook was probably twice that. anyhow, those are my unsolicited reactions so far.

aldango
06-05-2009, 01:00 AM
when i first switched from PC to Mac, i found Mac pretty frustrating and i didn't really like it that much. however, switching back to a PC, i had to admit i now appreciate a lot of things about Macs. configuration of things, installing software, startup and shutdown times, are all better. plus the lack of need for virus software. the design itself is far superior, even though the PC i have has some pretty nice design elements and apes the macbook in some ways. also the sound is probably the most easy to notice difference, this sounds like a piece of shit compared to the macbook. that said, this cost me 800 bones with shipping and tax, and the macbook was probably twice that. anyhow, those are my unsolicited reactions so far.

ubuntu 4 u

Fattening Ass
06-05-2009, 01:06 AM
The bootcamp idea is way cheaper than buying a new laptop. I guess if you're willing to drop that much to have one separate for work and one mac for everything else then i guess that works too, albeit at a high price.

At $800 you are better off upgrading your mac HD to a decent size, installing leopard and running Windows through bootcamp. Maybe even buy an external HD too for time machine backups.

wHATcOLOR
06-05-2009, 02:01 AM
i hear what you're saying, and it makes sense. but in this case, i'll be reimbursed for the cost of this laptop, and i really do want to keep things separate. i'll be tracking our financials and stuff on here, and it wouldn't seem right having pr0n and downloaded movies and music on the same machine. easiest to just keep them separate and clean.

when the HD inevitably fails on either one of these, in the PC, i won't be blamed for doing stupid things with the machine, and with the Mac, i won't have compromised any of the business stuff.

is there any time-machine like thing for windows yet? i like how vista ganked the "switch between windows" thing.

wHATcOLOR
06-10-2009, 12:38 AM
hey guys, i'm having an issue with a program (xcelsius), and their release notes say to disable UAC -- don't want to do this for the machine, i only want to do it for this application -- if i go to the properties of the program, there's a tab for compatibility, and you can check "run as administrator" -- is this equal to disabling UAC for the program?

wHATcOLOR
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM
i was getting to like this machine, but now it just shuts down sometimes, no warning, no nothing. just turns off. not cool in the least.

i'm considering buying a leopard upgrade, and a windows xp cd online, and just deal with that until september? when windows 7 comes out? then i'd maybe have the company buy a new macbook pro 13 inch and put windows 7 on that for boot camp

i dunno. this has been less cool than i hoped though, i was starting to like this hp machine :/

Debaser
06-14-2009, 01:02 AM
the shutting down sounds like a faulty RAM stick, in my very unprofessional amateur opinion

you can get windows 7 right now for free from microsoft's website. (it expires in a year, tho)

wHATcOLOR
06-14-2009, 03:43 AM
hp support was pretty good -- they responded to email within 20 minutes. response wasnt exactly on target, but provided a link that suggested running a utility to see if BIOS needed a newer version. it did, so i installed that, hopefully that settles things

bardy
06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I am heavily thinking about getting a desktop in the near future, I hope you guys are around to throw out your opinions on that.

bardy
06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
p.s. I bought my laptop 2 years ago and it's equivalent is like half the price now.... I hate technology.

Fattening Ass
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
thats how it goes