View Full Version : Hunting: thoughts?

RealAudio 3.0
05-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I could never kill an animal, and have always thought hunting was an unnecessary cruelty. HOWEVER...

I was reading something in a magazine the other day where a hunter said that if you eat meat, you're really no different than a hunter...you've just outsourced the killing to someone else. Then he went on to argue that hunting is actually more ethical because the goal is to ensure a fast, clean kill, and involves respect for the animal...whereas slaughterhouse is grotesque cruelty.

You know...I think this has changed my opinion on hunting. Thoughts?

JokeyLoki
05-30-2009, 11:45 AM
If meat is murder, then murder is fucking delicious.

shannon
05-30-2009, 11:54 AM
i think that if you are hunting for the sole purpose of being able to get a photo like this here hot shot:

http://www.mahadeer.com/images/deer_archery_hunting.jpg

only so that you can have one of these bad boys

http://cubstruelifetaxidermy.com/sitebuilder/images/Deer-straight_on_mounted-262x357.jpg

then i think you're a rotten, shithead, asshole, and i wish the worst for you

shannon
05-30-2009, 11:57 AM
not YOU, per se, i'm speaking in general terms

agenda suicide
05-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Well that hunter is right. Its sad that lots of animals are raised in a completely unnatural enviornment for the purpose of being an easily killed and processed meal. Obviously this has become a necessity because its what society is dependant on now. Being detached from the process makes people feel better about themselvews.
I've never felt the need to kill an animal myself. I'm fine letting someone else do it for me.

Toast
05-30-2009, 12:11 PM
i hunt for beaver using nothing but a meat spear

JokeyLoki
05-30-2009, 12:12 PM
i hunt for beaver using nothing but a meat spear

http://forums.netphoria.org/customavatars/avatar5158_2.gif

redbreegull
05-30-2009, 12:56 PM
It is a sad state of affairs that shooting and killing wild animals is accepted as sport in the fucking 21st century.

SlingeroGuitaro
05-30-2009, 12:59 PM
hare krishna

duovamp
05-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Deer in PA are far too populous for the area to sustain. They're worse than vermin, they're destructive, they cause car accidents and destroy tons of forest, and kick out other animals. Their population is way out of control. So we give hunters every opportunity possible to try and keep their numbers from exploding too far every year, although it's been out of control for about 50 years. So hunting deer for sport is mostly pest control in PA.

Other forms of hunting, like if you want some food from some animal, whatever knock yourself out as long as its population is high enough to sustain it. I don't see the difference between eating a cow and a bear, aside from the fact that bears are cooler.

And of course you outsource your killing to other people, you outsource butchering it too. I want my meat fast and easy, screw quality.

ATS
05-30-2009, 01:03 PM
meat is murder

Joe
05-30-2009, 01:23 PM
It is a sad state of affairs that shooting and killing wild animals is accepted as sport in the fucking 21st century.

pretty much sums it up right there, plus have you ever met a hunter? there fucking retarted.

shannon
05-30-2009, 01:24 PM
where retarded?

JokeyLoki
05-30-2009, 01:26 PM
there fucking retarted.

LOL.

Sonic Johnny
05-30-2009, 01:31 PM
everybody who eats red meat should kill at least one animal in their lifetime. I'm no vegetarian, in fact i take great pleasure in berating my vegetarian friends for what i perceive as a misguided attempt at moralism, but at the same time i think its worth knowing what happens at the moment of death. I have killed both kangaroo and chicken in the past and eaten both (the same ones i killed, that is). it was hard but certainly a learning experience.

Ol' Couch Ass
05-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Hunting isn't for me though I know plenty of people who do and every single one of them eats what they kill. There is quite a difference in shooting a deer for grilling (especially in an area where they are overpopulated) and shooting an endangered rhino while on safari just for shits and giggles. If the population is large and you like looking something in the eye before you munch on it then more power to you.

Trotskilicious
05-30-2009, 01:45 PM
everybody who eats red meat should kill at least one animal in their lifetime.

so if you eat chicken, pork, and fish then you don't need to right

Ol' Couch Ass
05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I can enjoy my porkchops as I once strangled a piglet with my own two hands. Another time I punched a grouper right in his ugly face... does that mean I can eat fish? This is all very confusing.

shannon
05-30-2009, 02:28 PM
i believe it means that you now have to give the piglet, and the grouper, the opportunity of a rematch

shannon
05-30-2009, 02:29 PM
only, they've become older, wiser, and much biiiigger since you stole their little innocent lives

shannon
05-30-2009, 02:30 PM
and they're ghosts... AND THEY'RE NOT VERY HAPPY!!!!

Trotskilicious
05-30-2009, 02:42 PM
groupers are big already

shannon
05-30-2009, 02:51 PM
i'm aware

:erm:

Trotskilicious
05-30-2009, 02:56 PM
i'm just saying they get any bigger they qualify as a whale

shannon
05-30-2009, 02:58 PM
not a problem, because it's a completely hypothetical situation and for all i care it could become a fucking housewife

sleeper
05-30-2009, 03:12 PM
whether hunting is wrong/right/whatever, i think we can all agree that particular forms of it are unspeakably pathetic.

what gets me isnt only the relatively "pointless" hunting (not for food, but for cheap thrills/ego-stoking trophies), but comfortable and spineless hunting. you can browse a hunting magazine and see, like, these tailor-built towers in fenced off areas with docile prey, and with hunters using assault rifles or shit like that. just out of principle i recoil at the total fucking lameness of this. its ridiculous that these people feel super tough and manly when theyre sitting in a chair up above the tree line and gunning down easy prey as if in a video game. maybe strictly speaking this shit is ethical, whatever, but its extremely lame and these people are fucking chumps

also the other extreme, the rambo-ish douchebags who use bows and arrows, bothers me a lot. bows and arrows might feel really cool, but its an inefficient way to kill that results probably in as many wounded prey that get away and succumb days later to some horrible infection as actual clean kills.

ohnoitsbonnie
05-30-2009, 03:15 PM
everybody who eats red meat should kill at least one animal in their lifetime. I'm no vegetarian, in fact i take great pleasure in berating my vegetarian friends for what i perceive as a misguided attempt at moralism, but at the same time i think its worth knowing what happens at the moment of death. I have killed both kangaroo and chicken in the past and eaten both (the same ones i killed, that is). it was hard but certainly a learning experience.

This is the stupidest thing I have read in a while

cork_soaker
05-30-2009, 04:15 PM
i've known some people who say their houses are haunted but i really don't believe in that sort of thing myself, personally

ATS
05-30-2009, 04:28 PM
if you gave a ferret the choice between dying instantly and writhing in pain for a few days it would choose to writhe in pain. i dont understand where people get off overruling that decision or all this "clean death" BS