View Full Version : renting help needed

Thaniel Buckner
05-24-2009, 09:23 PM
i've been burned out of a few too many security deposits in the past few places i've lived. mostly due to problems that he was aware of but neglected to fix. i'm thinking that this time around i go an inventory every little thing that's wrong and having him sign it so that I'm not liable at the end of the lease term. but i would have no idea of how to compose such a document. is there some prepared shit i can download off some legal site for free?

fluxequalsrad
05-24-2009, 09:25 PM
make a list/letter of all the shit, have him sign yr copy and give him a copy to put on file.

mercurial
05-24-2009, 09:38 PM
here's a standard form (http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256902000FE154/Lookup/CAV_Forms_Residential_Tenancy/$file/ConditionReport.pdf) (a condition report) that you fill out when leasing a place in Melbourne. clearly all the legal jazz is only applicable in this state in australia but as a template it might help?

also it's a really good idea to take photos (on film, or printed out and dated)

hnibos
05-24-2009, 10:00 PM
get it notarized but you probably knew that already

topleybird
05-24-2009, 10:38 PM
It also helps to swing by the landlord's place a few times a week and wave a gun around, preferably in the general direction of his kids

murgle
05-25-2009, 12:02 AM
You can always have the landlord do a walk-through with you before you move in/when you sign the lease. You guys can make a list together of the condition of the place. Whenever I've moved into an apartment, there's a standard condition report thing filled out.

Here's a really basic one I found online:

http://www.rentalsonline.com/forms/condition_report.doc

Joe
05-25-2009, 12:12 AM
and dont forget about renters insurance.

basicly in most situations landloards consiter the security deposit a sort of 'moving in fee' a lot of times even if you have a pre rental condition aggreement, it's incredibly easy for the landlord to just say he didnt sign it , renters insurrance isnt all that expencive in most cases and they will take an inventory of dammages and things before you move inin most causes that cannot at all be contested in court. and last time i paid rent ins i think it was like 25$ a month so if your looking at a deposit of 1000$ or more it's totally worth it.

yeah i know i cant spell i was trying to be helpful

Starla
05-25-2009, 01:10 AM
the last time I rented I took pictures of the entire apt and dated it, made two copies of the disc and gave one to the property management before I moved in