View Full Version : computer guys: help with ruined bios

ATS
05-23-2009, 11:49 AM
has anyone here ever resurrected a computer with a corrupted bios? my brother tried upgrading his bios in windows and the process froze. he turned it on and off after like 8 hours of it not making any progress and after that it would not boot. it won't even go to the bios menu. its an hp-asus board so the only bios update available was this flash in windows piece of garbage. i googled it and other people had the same problem and said to extract the bios ROM file from that program which i did, and to create a boot disk with it. his computer doesnt have a floppy drive so i made an autoexec.bat with

awdflash.exe 513.rom /blah /blah /blah

then put the autoexec.bat, awdflash.exe, and the ROM file into an ima with this freeware windows image program, and burned that into a boot disk using nero

when i try to start it up with this disk it says "NO SYSTEM DISK" does anyone know where i could have gone wrong? it does give some message about "WinImage by _____", some message injected by one of the image softwares i used.

he has tried messing with the battery and moving the jumper to clear cmos to no avail. sometimes if we hit the bios menu button it brings up a screen of rainbow colored squares

Future Boy
05-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I'll PM you an old System32 folder fix that might just work.

The Jesus
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
my brother tried upgrading his bios in windows and the process froze. he turned it on and off

1) Say hello to a new motherboard

or

2) If you want to go down a more complex route, google for tutorials on how to hot swap/hot flash a BIOS chip (Assuming it can be removed. Some can't.)

ATS
05-23-2009, 06:09 PM
it's an hp board and i think the only way to swap the chip is to send it in to them for 120$ repair. he had already ordered a new MB but it still seemed fixable.

all my forays into the world of computer science end in failure