View Full Version : divorce

pale_princess
05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
i know a couple who are separated. in this province, i guess, you have to be legally separated for a year before you get divorced. they got engaged after dating for 4 months and married on their one-year anniversary. the marriage lasted two years.

i know of another couple who were dating & living together since 1999 and got married in 2004. they just broke up in november.

i don't know the details of either of these (impending) divorces, but find it interesting that i'm at the point of my adulthood where divorce is a reality. especially considering my upcoming nuptuals, as well as those of acquaintances & friends of mine.

ohnoitsbonnie
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
dOES ANYBODY KNOW WITH COMMON LAW MARRIAGES DOES THE COUPLE NEED TO BE LEGALLY DIVORCED BEFORE THEY CAN MARRY AGAIN? i KNOW THAT SOUNDS SILLY BUT i REALLY DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER

kelsome
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I had a friend get married at 18. She was separated from her husband by the following year. I couldn't imagine being a 19 y/o divorcée.

Anyway, good luck with your marriage.

sickbadthing
05-20-2009, 10:02 PM
everybody gets divorced or is unhappy. there is no "soul mates" or any of that bullshit. it's a fucking made up thing that kids believe in and then fool themselves into believing through adulthood and then don't understand why it didn't all work out. people should go into relationships expecting that at some point all of it is going to break down and fail.

pale_princess
05-20-2009, 10:06 PM
way to be a downer sbt.

*hug*

mercurial
05-20-2009, 10:07 PM
everybody gets divorced or is unhappy. there is no "soul mates" or any of that bullshit. it's a fucking made up thing that kids believe in and then fool themselves into believing through adulthood and then don't understand why it didn't all work out. people should go into relationships expecting that at some point all of it is going to break down and fail.

optimism fail

Shallowed
05-20-2009, 10:34 PM

True.

I wonder if you live each day as though it's your last day in a relationship... if that would be a good thing?

pale_princess
05-20-2009, 10:35 PM
the second couple i mentioned is my high school sweetheart. he was with me for 3 years before he dumped me for the chick he married. now he's 29 and single for the first time in his adult life after being in relationships for 12 years. hope he's sowing dem oats.

wounded
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM
dOES ANYBODY KNOW WITH COMMON LAW MARRIAGES DOES THE COUPLE NEED TO BE LEGALLY DIVORCED BEFORE THEY CAN MARRY AGAIN? i KNOW THAT SOUNDS SILLY BUT i REALLY DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER

if the state recognizes it as a common law marriage i would say yes because essentially a common law marriage is a marriage and gets the benefits of a marriage as if it was done by proper ceremony. Therefore I would say it still must be dissolved in the eyes of the state because the state is essentially saying it is a marriage.

of course in actual practice many times it's not going to come up until someone dies or something and then the other person wants it to have been considered a marriage for obvious reasons of inheritance and what not. for example man and woman live together for 15 years, he dies and there is a fight over his estate between blood relatives and the woman

usually for a common law marriage to be found the couple must have

1.agreement. This may be proven by direct or indirect evidence. Indirect evidence may consist of cohabitation, acts, declarations, conduct of the parties, and recognized status in their community. Can infer the agreement from the indirect evidence.
2. cohabitation. Must be proof that parties had sexual activity in the open manner of H and W in a marital state.
3.reputation of the parties. There is a holding out to those in the community of being H and W to those with whom they normally come into contact. It is not necessary that they disseminate information to all society generally or to all of the community in which they reside.

the holding out as H and W is really key. it's not like the state will find a common law marriage when the couple doesn't act as if they are married. State may also look at stuff like length of the relationship, kids etc. sometimes you see it pop up when a couple marries-divorces-then starts living together again. court usually says that since they had a valid marriage before hand they were aware they needed a ceremony for a valid marriage and will refuse to call it a common law marriage.

only like 11 states recognize CL marriages though

that's probably way more than you wanted, that's just what i remember from family law

ohnoitsbonnie
05-20-2009, 10:56 PM
if the state recognizes it as a common law marriage i would say yes because essentially a common law marriage is a marriage and gets the benefits of a marriage as if it was done by proper ceremony. Therefore I would say it still must be dissolved in the eyes of the state because the state is essentially saying it is a marriage

usually for a common law marriage to be found the couple must have

1.agreement. This may be proven by direct or indirect evidence. Indirect evidence may consist of cohabitation, acts, declarations, conduct of the parties, and recognized status in their community. Can infer the agreement from the indirect evidence.
2. cohabitation. Must be proof that parties had sexual activity in the open manner of H and W in a marital state.
3.reputation of the parties. There is a holding out to those in the community of being H and W to those with whom they normally come into contact. It is not necessary that they disseminate information to all society generally or to all of the community in which they reside.

the holding out as H and W is really key. it's not like the state will find a common law marriage when the couple doesn't act as if they are married. State may also look at stuff like length of the relationship, kids etc. sometimes you see it pop up when a couple marries-divorces-then starts living together again. court usually says that since they had a valid marriage before hand they were aware they needed a ceremony for a valid marriage and will refuse to call it a common law marriage.

of course many times it's nto going to come up until someone dies or something and then the other person wants it to have been considered a marriage for obvious reasons of inheritance and what not

only like 11 states recognize CL marriages though

that's probably way more than you wanted, that's just what i remember from family law

No no that was exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you very much

Trotskilicious
05-20-2009, 10:59 PM
bonnie, shut up.

ohnoitsbonnie
05-20-2009, 11:03 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU I REALLY DIDN'T KNOW don't get all angry at me because I don't like cream cheese and crab

wHATcOLOR
05-20-2009, 11:15 PM
i've been to 3 weddings of friends. 2 of the 3 couples are divorced now

wounded
05-20-2009, 11:18 PM
yeah bascially before it is considered a Common Law marriage someone has to be before the court asking for the court to call it such.

so i guess if someone was in a relationship in a state that recognized such marriages and say the man goes off and gets married to woman 2 , the woman 1 may come along and go before the court saying she had a common law marriage with the man. if the court finds a common law marriage they would probably invalidate his new marriage until the old relationship is dissolved and the woman 1 would then be entitled to a equitable distribution of the property as if she was getting divorced from the man.

but like i said there is a strong presumption against common law marriage. most states don't like them and even the ones that have them use it sparingly

You Said
05-20-2009, 11:19 PM
i know a couple who are separated. in this province, i guess, you have to be legally separated for a year before you get divorced. they got engaged after dating for 4 months and married on their one-year anniversary. the marriage lasted two years.

i know of another couple who were dating & living together since 1999 and got married in 2004. they just broke up in november.

i don't know the details of either of these (impending) divorces, but find it interesting that i'm at the point of my adulthood where divorce is a reality. especially considering my upcoming nuptuals, as well as those of acquaintances & friends of mine.

*waits in the wings*

Nimrod's Son
05-21-2009, 12:34 AM
when you get married you're essentially giving the other person the right to take half of your shit when the inevitable need for new dick sets in

Trotskilicious
05-21-2009, 12:36 AM
been cheated on a lot huh nimrod

ella
05-21-2009, 12:38 AM
when you get married you're essentially giving the other person the right to take half of your shit when the inevitable need for new pussy sets in :smoke:

Ol' Couch Ass
05-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Even though I don't have a whole helluva lot I would never consider getting married without a pre-nup.

mercurial
05-21-2009, 12:52 AM
sounds pretty romantic bro

Shallowed
05-21-2009, 01:11 AM
O ye of little faith.

vanilla
05-21-2009, 01:18 AM
About 90% of my graduating class is now married. I'm so glad I'm not there myself. After a 7+ year relationship I'm ready to really be alone for a while.

D.
05-21-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm going to break up Shaunna and That Dude.