View Full Version : Archive Blog #9

Spaldz
05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello SP World,

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I've been working nonstop in the archive. I've had a few meetings with people that we might work with for the fan club. We're getting there! Before anybody sends me any disgruntled e-mails, we are going to be putting out both studio and live material! I want to talk about the live side of the archives in this e-mail. I've been listening to some material that we might be putting out, and I do have to say that it's going to rock your socks off! Listening to them play these complex songs with the energy that they have really shows you that there is something special. I was really surprised that they played with the level that they did while only being in their second year as a band. Even if you aren't really into live material, I think you'll find this stuff appealing. If you approach it with an open mind, I think it will be very enjoyable. Just try to imagine being in the audience and seeing this band perform early v

I hope you all liked the picture that I posted in my blog last week. I know the thing that caught a lot of people's eye was the setlist. That was from the 12/2/00 Metro show. The board and tiles were used to plan out the setlist for that show. You'll notice the letter to the left of the setlist. If any of you were at the Tinley Park, IL show during the Adore Tour, you might remember the City of Chicago declaring 7/7/98 "Smashing Pumpkins Day". That letter is from Mayor Daley, and it was presented on stage to the band during that concert. I literally find a new gem or artifact every single day. I even found some of the materials that they used to make the Machina 2 vinyl releases. I talked about posters a month or two ago, and we just uncovered a lot more! My job is to catalog everything and preserve all of it. Don't worry; I'm working on a way so that all of you can see some of these artifacts. It will be tied into the fan club or archival releases in some way. We have to see everything that we have first.

I'm also working on a more detailed version of the tour history. SP.com has a tour history database set up, but you'll notice that only 2007-2008 are complete (as well as an '89 tour date). I'm going to be plugging in the gaps as I go through the archive so we can have the most complete tour history. SPFC does a great job at keeping up with the tour history, but I found a few inaccuracies between what they have and what is in the archive. The reason why I'm doing this is because there is an audience that seeks out that information. The hardcore fans that would want to buy old demos and obscure shows are most likely the ones who would like to read about the different venues and setlists that the band played throughout the years.

If any of you have any questions about what I'm doing and the fan club/archival project, please send them in and I'll try to answer a few of them in upcoming newsletters.

Frank
[email protected]

sniffingchimp
05-14-2009, 11:46 AM
What's the timeframe for stuff to actually start coming out of the archives?

Pizza Club
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
When is the timeframe to stop mentioning the last weekend when the next weekend starts tomorrow?

MonteLDS
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
isn't this the newsletter and not the blog

Pizza Club
05-14-2009, 12:04 PM
isn't this the newsletter and not the blog

It appears on both.

MonteLDS
05-14-2009, 12:11 PM
It appears on both.

:think:

Smashing Pumpkins dot com | archive blog 9 (http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/blog/archive-blog-9)

that is blog #9

what was posted was newsletter #9

although they seem to be mashed together and with just the same old crap. that we have been hearing for weeks...

"hi this is frank! i am working hard in the archive! i have found a bunch of cool stuff that you will like, but only I will hear... keep giving us ideas!"

SlingeroGuitaro
05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
lol monte

Mayfuck
05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
heh. right on, monte

Spaldz
05-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I put blog and then saw it was newsletter but it takes serious effort to bother editing that. Then I saw redbull had done it before so left it. Thankyou and goodnight.

wHATcOLOR
05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
i like to rag on that rat bastard as much as the next guy, but seeing monte do it takes the fun out of it.

Cool As Ice Cream
05-14-2009, 01:30 PM
fuck off, monty.

Shallowed
05-14-2009, 07:52 PM
When is the timeframe to stop mentioning the last weekend when the next weekend starts tomorrow?

Hey all,

This week's newsletter is going to be delayed a few days, the blog may be as well. PMM is on vacation this week. We'll get them to you as soon as we can.
Frank

<boo-urns>

MonteLDS
05-14-2009, 08:19 PM
I am not making fun of Frank, I am just calling it the way I see it.

wHATcOLOR
05-14-2009, 08:20 PM
"keeping it real", if you will?

Andy /
05-14-2009, 09:11 PM
they seem to be mashed together and with just the same old crap. that we have been hearing for weeks...

"hi this is frank! i am working hard in the archive! i have found a bunch of cool stuff that you will like, but only I will hear... keep giving us ideas!"

How's that United States video coming along?

MonteLDS
05-15-2009, 12:21 AM
it is done, but it's not that good. so i just bit the bullet and put it away. i am not sure i have the files even on there

sniffingchimp
05-15-2009, 04:40 AM

What lies in the shadow of the statue?

Pizza Club
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
What lies in the shadow of the statue?

I have no idea what this means.

The New
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
|_______|_____________\__________|______|
|_______`._____________|_________|_______:
.\________|____________|_________\|_______|
_\_______|_/_________/__\\\___--___\\_______:
__\______\/_____--~~__________~--__|_\_____|