View Full Version : Adore vinyl question

russian iha
04-29-2009, 07:36 AM
I just bought sealed Adore 2LP release and it turned out to be mono. I checked spfc.org and it confirms that only mono release was issued by Caroline Records (funny, I never noticed it).

My question is, since I haven't played it yet - is it worth ripping to 24/96 lossless? Or ProTools source killed all the analog? Or ripping mono 90's records doesn't pay?

Cool As Ice Cream
04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
We refer to it as Adore 1.5LP, as only three sides have music.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to capture it in 24/96. I guess it is. There are always people interested in these kind of rips.

T&T
04-29-2009, 08:21 AM
adore in mono is really really wonderful. it forces the listener to listen to depth for separation instead of relying on the stereo separation. they do a really good job of it too.
the word that comes to mind is "sepia", rich deep hues of sepia.

there is already a 24/96 transfer of adore floating around the internet.
Vinyl Transfer Process

Artist & Ablum : The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore (mint vinyl)
Turntable : Pro-Ject Debut III
Preamp : Rolls VP-29
Soundcard : Onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC

Audacticy 1.3.5 used to record at 24bit/96KHz.
Adobe Audition used for song splits.
Encoded with Foobar2000 v0.9.5.2 and FLAC 1.2.1

there's also StArSeEd's vinyl rip (16/44.1) which sounds better IMHO

russian iha
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
adore in mono is really really wonderful. it forces the listener to listen to depth for separation instead of relying on the stereo separation. they do a really good job of it too.
the word that comes to mind is "sepia", rich deep hues of sepia.

I remember Phil Spector was an opponent of stereo, despite his layered technique. He implied that mono sound presents a record in precise way which it was mastered.

there is already a 24/96 transfer of adore floating around the internet.

Just saw it. What's interesting - is that was Adore recorded digitally? If it was - it's probably has 16/44 master, as all late 90s albums. I also heard that MCIS vinyl had digital master, is it true?

Oh yeah, I just noticed it. I'm gonna write something on a blank space, akin to TAFH's "This box belongs to..." :)

I'm not sure if it's worth it to capture it in 24/96. I guess it is. There are always people interested in these kind of rips.

The problem is one that I mentioned above, plus I've got a friend that has really good setup, he did amazing rips of Tool LP's (plus we're gonna rip Opiate, once it arrives to me), so once I have Adore that's not played, I will probably try to do this.

Mo
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
I recently digitized my vinyl Adore here at work, and 16/44.1 is plenty (even though it sounds even better/stranger in 96).

Mo
04-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Alright, ban this spambot. He fucked up my perfectly good Röyksopp thread.

russian iha
04-29-2009, 12:15 PM
spambot > bc 2009

Spaldz
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I thought someone did this already but not in 24bit. Was quite a while ago but I still have the files on my computer..it was someone on netphoria.

killtrocity
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
just bought this last night, good to know

redbull
04-29-2009, 10:05 PM
the mono mix sounds fucking wonderful

T&T
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
The problem is one that I mentioned above, plus I've got a friend that has really good setup, he did amazing rips of Tool LP's (plus we're gonna rip Opiate, once it arrives to me), so once I have Adore that's not played, I will probably try to do this.

then go for it!!!

but play the album a few times before you transfer it, there's always dust and dirt in the grooves in a new record that need to be played out.

killtrocity
04-30-2009, 12:15 AM
To play us out, what is that? Fuckin thing SUCKS

T&T
04-30-2009, 01:05 AM
what?
i'm just saying you'll hear a significant less amount of clicks and pops after a couple plays.
gotta love vinyl.

TheMilstead
04-30-2009, 02:16 AM

Not "To Sheila". For some reason, the vinyl mono mix of that song sounds like it's in a tin can or something. The rest, though, is incredible.

killtrocity
04-30-2009, 02:30 AM
what?
i'm just saying you'll hear a significant less amount of clicks and pops after a couple plays.
gotta love vinyl.

0:23 :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5qU4qudJYk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z5qU4qudJYk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Playback
05-06-2009, 03:20 AM

The mono mix is scary.

Playback
05-06-2009, 03:25 AM

I use side four to set the anti skate on my tonearm.

Cool As Ice Cream
05-06-2009, 03:36 AM

where could one find that rip?

Cool As Ice Cream
05-06-2009, 03:38 AM
I use side four to set the anti skate on my tonearm.

you also hate skaters? sk8erboi

Playback
05-06-2009, 04:19 AM
then go for it!!!

but play the album a few times before you transfer it, there's always dust and dirt in the grooves in a new record that need to be played out.

No.

There are many record cleaning products available and most of them work audibly very well. New records have a mold release compound in the grooves and not only can you hear it, but it's sticky and vinyl's static charge attracts dirt to it. Many vinyl devotees clean new records before they play them. Dragging dirt around on the album permanently damages the vinyl not to mention what it does to your expensive stylus. Think what would happen to your car's finish if you scraped the dirt off instead of washing it. That being said I play new records right out of the wrapper all the time without cleaning them, and then within a play or two clean them and put them away, but I have NEVER heard a dirty record sound better by playing it.

Playback
05-06-2009, 04:27 AM
I just bought sealed Adore 2LP release and it turned out to be mono. I checked spfc.org and it confirms that only mono release was issued by Caroline Records (funny, I never noticed it).

My question is, since I haven't played it yet - is it worth ripping to 24/96 lossless? Or ProTools source killed all the analog? Or ripping mono 90's records doesn't pay?

What equipment are you using to rip this?

T&T
05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
No.

There are many record cleaning products available and most of them work audibly very well. New records have a mold release compound in the grooves and not only can you hear it, but it's sticky and vinyl's static charge attracts dirt to it. Many vinyl devotees clean new records before they play them. Dragging dirt around on the album permanently damages the vinyl not to mention what it does to your expensive stylus. Think what would happen to your car's finish if you scraped the dirt off instead of washing it. That being said I play new records right out of the wrapper all the time without cleaning them, and then within a play or two clean them and put them away, but I have NEVER heard a dirty record sound better by playing it.
yr right, it's not dust and dirt (since they are new), but manufacturing byproduct. wasn't sure what it was called.

Reyngel
05-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone wanna throw a link out there for Adore in mono? I have some files on a harddrive somewhere, but I have no idea where it is. I remember it sounding so nice, though.

waltermcphilp
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
where could one find that rip?

what.cd

"This is my personal rip from many years ago. This has been requested by a few people many, many times. I don't recall if I recorded this from an Aiwa PX-E855 or a Kenwood KD-291R. WARNING: This is NOT a simple needledrop; it has been processed heavily. I recorded at 48kHz in either Sound Forge or Vegas and speed-corrected the rip to match the speed of the CD. I equalized using FreeFilter to match the basic sound of the CD version. I removed most of the pops and light crackle. I missed a few little ones, I'm sure. I had to originally transfer this in stereo, as I do not have a true monaural turntable cartridge, then I downmixed to monaural just before mastering. I mastered the final product using either Waves L1 or L2, and tried to closely match the apparent volume of the CD release. It's been a while since I did all this, and I didn't keep an editing log. Enjoy it anyway."

T&T
05-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Anyone wanna throw a link out there for Adore in mono? I have some files on a harddrive somewhere, but I have no idea where it is. I remember it sounding so nice, though.

you want an upload because you're too lazy? sounds about right. :)

V2 mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e89f5a2123000a12d0d290dca69ceb5c000fe947 4737741bc95965eaa7bc68bc

if you want flac, wait for freeleach at what to be over (i'm working on my ratio)

aldango
05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
you want an upload because you're too lazy? sounds about right. :)

V2 mp3
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e89f5a2123000a12d0d290dca69ceb5c000fe947 4737741bc95965eaa7bc68bc)

if you want flac, wait for freeleach at what to be over (i'm working on my ratio)

thread delivers http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon14.gif

Slurpee
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Forgot how freaking good the mono mix of Ava Adore is... perhaps my problems with some Adore tracks' production is really only a problem with their stereo production.

Reyngel
05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I love that in the mono Pug mix, the reverb on his voice is a lot more noticeable.

Cool As Ice Cream
05-09-2009, 08:22 AM

what.cd

"This is my personal rip from many years ago. This has been requested by a few people many, many times. I don't recall if I recorded this from an Aiwa PX-E855 or a Kenwood KD-291R. WARNING: This is NOT a simple needledrop; it has been processed heavily. I recorded at 48kHz in either Sound Forge or Vegas and speed-corrected the rip to match the speed of the CD. I equalized using FreeFilter to match the basic sound of the CD version. I removed most of the pops and light crackle. I missed a few little ones, I'm sure. I had to originally transfer this in stereo, as I do not have a true monaural turntable cartridge, then I downmixed to monaural just before mastering. I mastered the final product using either Waves L1 or L2, and tried to closely match the apparent volume of the CD release. It's been a while since I did all this, and I didn't keep an editing log. Enjoy it anyway."
thanks.

megaupload link: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M8GRNB68)

amoergosum
10-19-2011, 02:48 PM
What's the best sounding Adore vinyl rip which is available online?

Venom
10-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Probably StArSeEd's or the one that I believe came out on a Vinyl blog a few months ago, can't remember.

amoergosum
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
or the one that I believe came out on a Vinyl blog a few months ago, can't remember.

...are you talking about this one >>>
http://www.24bit96khz.org/viewlisting.php?id=2729

progunta
10-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Looks like it is.

Bobbin TB
10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
yea i dont rip any vinyl myself. there are always copies of vinyl rips online and id rather preserve my copy.

clcng
01-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Can anyone put a link of StArSeEd's rip? I can't find it anywhere!

By the way, who exactly is StArSeEd? I've seen him on forums and other places, but I can't find anything.

TuralyonW3
01-09-2016, 10:07 PM
The 2014 Adore reissue vinyl sounds pretty great to my ears

Cool As Ice Cream
01-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Can anyone put a link of StArSeEd's rip? I can't find it anywhere!

By the way, who exactly is StArSeEd? I've seen him on forums and other places, but I can't find anything.

it's on what.

ButterflyBullet
01-10-2016, 08:22 AM
it's on what.

fuck

teh b0lly!!1
01-10-2016, 08:31 AM
dude's trying to help you. i'd expect you show some respect. mods ban this vile offender pls

ButterflyBullet
01-10-2016, 11:10 AM
o shit

IM SLIGHTLY SORRY