View Full Version : Inner Beatuy

alabaster
03-04-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm now convinced that inner beauty is a prequisite for aesthetic beauty. By inner beauty I mean someone who's good hearted, sweet, really cool about it. When someone's face is like "lit from within", they usually have a beautiful soul (I know it sounds so corny but I've observed people my whole life and now I know how to assess them, and yes I do go to College in NYU and I'm over 20)..

DeviousJ
03-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Well it's along similar lines, but I think personality changes how beautiful someone appears to be. Usually you see someone and you get an idea of the kind of person they are, and if you like that kind of person then they appear more attractive to you. If you then find out they're a catty bitch (for example) you're instantly less attracted to them. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about here

alabaster
03-04-2003, 12:14 PM
definitely. I'malways attracted to modest, slightly shy people who never brag or laugh for no reason. I think moderation is the key.

spfreak
03-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
Well it's along similar lines, but I think personality changes how beautiful someone appears to be. Usually you see someone and you get an idea of the kind of person they are, and if you like that kind of person then they appear more attractive to you. If you then find out they're a catty bitch (for example) you're instantly less attracted to them. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about here

truee...... but! if you have an ugly mug :( then ppl arent' too attracted to you to find out your personality :(

alabaster
03-04-2003, 12:19 PM
like I said, I think that if you're beautiful from the inside, it does show through and some people see that.

DeviousJ
03-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by spfreak

truee...... but! if you have an ugly mug :( then ppl arent' too attracted to you to find out your personality :(

Well that's where the whole looks/personality thing comes in. When people are asked 'what first attracts you to a person, looks or personality?' a lot of them say personality, when looks are clearly what people notice first. After a little while, when you get to know someone, *then* their personality can shine through - but like you said, it's rarely immediate

DeviousJ
03-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by alabaster
like I said, I think that if you're beautiful from the inside, it does show through and some people see that.

Well it sounded more like you were talking about a kind of aura around the person due to their personality, making it obvious immediately. I was talking about how your perceptions can change as you get to know someone, and how that affects how attractive you find them. I guess they are linked in a way

alabaster
03-04-2003, 12:36 PM
exactly, I firmly believe that this so-called aura is instantly noticeable (even if you're extremely shy and hide yourself, you can project that "grace")..
as I got to know certain people with that aura, I realized I wasn't wrong.

mirrar
03-04-2003, 04:03 PM
exactly. i've known people that i wasn't really attracted to until i got to know them, and then their personality made them seem MUCH more attractive.

DeadSwan
03-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

yeah, but if someone's just not physically attractive to you, it's probably not going to change. i mean, someone who's OK can become hot over time, but someone who's ugly/unattractive generally cannot. you have to have one HELL of a personality.

sickbadthing
03-04-2003, 05:43 PM
What does this have to do with going to NYU and being over 20?

Dogs understand inner beauty.

Dogs.

Edited because I'm drunk.

Mayfuck
03-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by DeadSwan

yeah, but if someone's just not physically attractive to you, it's probably not going to change. i mean, someone who's OK can become hot over time, but someone who's ugly/unattractive generally cannot. you have to have one HELL of a personality.

hereisnowhy
03-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Whenever I'm in a group of people, the people who I first notice often turn out to be the ones I'm not attracted to at all. I'm often attracted to people who I don't notice for a while, until I get to know them. So yeah.

DeviousJ
03-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by DeadSwan

Oh we're not talking *that* much of an effect... but still pretty significant. Actually, I think an unlikeable personality has more of a negative effect than a likeable one has a positive effect. Hmm, there's one for the psychology majors

alabaster
03-04-2003, 11:12 PM
this indeed has nothing to do with my age and where I go to school..this precision was irrelevant and out of line.., but as I'm not a regular here, I was a tad defensive.sawy.