View Full Version : Attn: Congress / White House

sppunk
02-11-2009, 04:07 PM
You can go ahead and all go fuck yourselves for taking out the only goddamn part of the Stimulus package that was worth a shit.

Basically, they effectively killed the $15,000 homebuyer tax credit.

sppunk
02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
This thread brought to you by around 340 hours of work gone to shit because some dumbfuck congressman wants a new sealcoat put on his town's main street.

duovamp
02-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I dunno, tearing out that "unnecessary" education money really made this thing worth passing in my eyes. :rolleyes:

It's really bothersome to see something with good intentions behind it get turned into a total farce.

redbull
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
amerikkka book of thugs chapter AK verse 47

Nimrod's Son
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
I dunno, tearing out that "unnecessary" education money really made this thing worth passing in my eyes. :rolleyes:

It's really bothersome to see something with good intentions behind it get turned into a total farce.

The states should be funding education, not the feds.

Also education /= bailout.

<sp3
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM

four months ago i tried to have a conversation with my ex girlfriend about exactly this. Her unyielding fixation to the exact opposite of this statement ended up being one of the contributing factors in my breaking up with her

Trotskilicious
02-11-2009, 09:37 PM
you two are idiots

Nimrod's Son
02-11-2009, 09:50 PM
you two are idiots

yes everything is a stimulus

ryan patrick
02-12-2009, 12:12 AM

for real, i mean the U.S. is outperforming all other nations in education, so don't fix what ain't broken.

not sure what bailouts have to do with anything though.

Debaser
02-12-2009, 02:13 PM
You can go ahead and all go fuck yourselves for taking out the only goddamn part of the Stimulus package that was worth a shit.

Basically, they effectively killed the $15,000 homebuyer tax credit.

It's still there (http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/02/heres_who_will_benefit_from_st.html).

It's been lowered to $8,000 of free money to not-really-that-needy people that can afford to buy a home between jan and aug this year.

sppunk
02-12-2009, 02:57 PM
That's for first-time homebuyers ... who already received a $7,500 tax credit. So they've increased the deal by $500 essentially.

Nimrod's Son
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
It's still there (http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/02/heres_who_will_benefit_from_st.html).

It's been lowered to $8,000 of free money to not-really-that-needy people that can afford to buy a home between jan and aug this year.

You do realize that it's the "not-really-that-needy" that can turn around the economy and not the "please give me a handout" types, right?

Debaser
02-12-2009, 03:37 PM
That's for first-time homebuyers ... who already received a $7,500 tax credit. So they've increased the deal by $500 essentially.

and they no longer have to pay it back. the original $7500 deal, you have to pay it back -- it was essentially a no interest loan from the government. So they've increased the deal by $8000 essentially.

Debaser
02-12-2009, 03:47 PM
You do realize that it's the "not-really-that-needy" that can turn around the economy and not the "please give me a handout" types, right?

ah trickle down economics. works everytime amirite?

Nimrod's Son
02-12-2009, 03:54 PM
ah trickle down economics. works everytime amirite?

For someone who supports a progressive tax system, you seemingly don't want anyone in the higher brackets making income in order to pay those taxes.

All of that aside, we're not talking about "the rich" here, we're talking about the middle class buying their first homes. The success of teh country is directly related to the success of the middle class. But I suppose you're all like "fuck them, they can buy a house, let's take away any incentive to do so."

Debaser
02-12-2009, 04:06 PM
my original statement was meant to imply that there are more efficient ways to stimulate the economy. I don't hate the rich or middle class.

But however, the way we as a country place so much priority on home ownership seems a bit wrong headed in many ways. This (over)incentive to push people into buying homes may have played a part in the downfall of the economy.

severin
02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
well, it doesn't matter one way or the other, since european banks alone seem to have 16.3 trillions (eur) "worth" of assets in their books, which aren't really worth anything anymore. when this brings europe tumbling down the shitter we'll take america and the rest with us...

the best investemnt right now, if you have any sort of money, would be a little bit of land, somewhere away from the cities where you can grow your own crops and house a few pigs and chickens...

oh yeah, source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/4590512/European-banks-may-need-16.3-trillion-bail-out-EC-dcoument-warns.html

apparently, the figures have been removed from the text after it went online, but you can still see it in the document title....(and a link to a blog on that site, which isn't there any longer as well

Trotskilicious
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
yes everything is a stimulus

obviously you don't understand what I thought was so fucking dumb about your post.

Trotskilicious
02-12-2009, 06:00 PM
But however, the way we as a country place so much priority on home ownership seems a bit wrong headed in many ways. This (over)incentive to push people into buying homes may have played a part in the downfall of the economy.

this should be fucking obvious to anyone with more than two braincells to rub together but there aren't many of those types around here.

TicalFSU
02-12-2009, 06:29 PM

I think you mean education /= stimulus.

Trotskilicious
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
who cares we should spend on it anyway

lol states

Trotskilicious
02-13-2009, 03:47 AM
by the way the republicans now want to reinvest in the military industrial complex

weapons = stimulus = awesome
learning = not a stimulus = bad

lessons we learn