View Full Version : Roseanne

reprise85
12-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I love Roseanne. I admit it. But what was with the last episode? Mark is really married to Darlene and David to Becky? Jackie is gay and the grandmother isn't? Dan is dead and the sexy nurse affair is bullshit?

And what was with that weird prince guy being in love with Jackie?

What can I trust as real when Roseanne ruined my idea of Conner life as I knew it in one 30 minute fell swoop?

Please discuss.

carapatricia
12-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Last episode was such a cop-out!

they never should have won the lottery

reprise85
12-27-2008, 11:57 PM
they didn't win the lottery
dan is dead!

oh the humanity

aldango
12-27-2008, 11:58 PM
In the first half, the family talks about life after winning the lottery. In the last 15 minutes Roseanne reflects about her fictional life as it is revealed to the audience through a voiceover monologue that the show itself has really been her writing. She says that while the book she was writing was based on her life, she changed what she didn't like. For instance, in reality, the Connors did not win the lottery, Dan died of the heart attack, Jackie was gay instead of Bev, and Mark and Darlene were a couple and Becky and David were a couple, instead of the other way around. In the final moments, after looking over her book, she goes upstairs and sits on the couch. The show fades to black and her trademark laugh is heard one last time.

The ninth and final season of the show marks a complete departure from the rest of the series as it takes on a more surreal tone. The Conners win the state lottery jackpot of $108 million, Roseanne battles terrorists[citation needed], Dan ponders the meaning of life, Jackie meets her prince, D.J. finds love, and Darlene gives birth. Most surreal of all is the season's final episode, in which Roseanne reveals an alternative scenario for the series in which many of its events never actually take place and are instead part of a book she is writing. In this scenario, Dan's heart attack has killed him, the Conner family has not won the lottery, Becky has married David instead of Mark, Darlene has married Mark instead of David, and Jackie has come out as a lesbian instead of Roseanne's mother.

sounds kinda strange to me

pale_princess
12-28-2008, 12:04 AM
roseanne rocks and that whole last season was on crack.

carapatricia
12-28-2008, 12:08 AM
they didn't win the lottery
dan is dead!

oh the humanity

i dont count that last season.

this is the best
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8P1t6fqE3s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8P1t6fqE3s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

carapatricia
12-28-2008, 12:16 AM
rosie was looking pretty good by that episode too

reprise85
12-28-2008, 12:17 AM

this is the best
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8P1t6fqE3s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8P1t6fqE3s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:rofl:

god i forgot about that epsidoe

Quiet CD
12-28-2008, 12:41 AM
I'd hit it.

vanilla
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
i fell asleep last night to season 6 of roseanne. one of my favorite shows.

dude!: 8888

ciGarski
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
dan died?

Floppy Nono
12-28-2008, 08:21 PM
the final episode roseanne pretended that she had written the entire show about her real fake family and that dan never woke up from his heart attack so everything from that point on was made up by her about the made up family of her real made up family.

fuccccccccck

ciGarski
12-28-2008, 08:24 PM
when was his heart attack? this is blowing my mind. kinda.

Travis Meeks
12-28-2008, 08:27 PM
yeah this is hardcore shit

carapatricia
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
his heart attack was during Darlenes wedding , right?

Floppy Nono
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
yeah the day of it just as he was giving her his blessing. i think he just laid down on a picnic bench and everyone shit themselves. considering dan connor, that's how i always knew he would die

ciGarski
12-28-2008, 08:34 PM
how long was the show a dream sequence? what a fuckin cop out

Floppy Nono
12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
i think the whole last season and maybe some of the one before, i cant remember if dans heart attack was a season finale.

if that blows your mind then this will cut a hole in your reality. the real fake version of roseannes fake family were all fucked up. jackie was gay and darlene was with mark and david with becky

Starla
12-28-2008, 08:40 PM
love that episode

carapatricia
12-28-2008, 09:04 PM
everything from winning the lottery forward is supposed to be a dream

Toast
12-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Seasons 4-6 were the best.

Sepiae
12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
The episode where Becky asks to go on the pill is probably my favorite. It's too bad the freaking George Lopez show is on Nick at Nite now instead of Roseanne.

Floppy Nono
12-28-2008, 09:15 PM
i wish nick at night didnt play like one show every day for hours and hours. i miss when they used to have like an hour of 6 different shows every night. somewhere they switched to this power block mentality. first it was cosbys, then roseanne, now george lopez. friends will probably be next

vanilla
12-28-2008, 09:50 PM
darlene is my favorite character...probably

murgle
12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
i wish nick at night didnt play like one show every day for hours and hours. i miss when they used to have like an hour of 6 different shows every night. somewhere they switched to this power block mentality. first it was cosbys, then roseanne, now george lopez. friends will probably be next

Well, they originally started it in the summers. It was the Nick at Nite block party. Monday through Friday in the summer, each show had its own night, and they cycled through I think 10 episodes starting at 6pm.

Each summer they did different shows. Started out with shows like Dick Van Dyke, I Dream of Jeannie, Brady Bunch... stuff like that.

I guess they felt that it caught on and started doing something like it year round?

(I could never sleep when I was little, so I watched a LOT of late-night tv)

Floppy Nono
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
yeah they sill do the block party summer shit but last summer it was block party weeks of just roseanne and cosby alternating. it was just terrible

murgle
12-28-2008, 10:07 PM
that would get old

sppunk
12-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Nick at Night needs to put Cheers back on and STFU about anything else.

Roseanne was terrible and she should be shoved into a woodchipper.

Thaniel Buckner
12-28-2008, 10:22 PM
i hated roseanne until i started hanging out with kids in families as fucked up as theirs.

carapatricia
12-28-2008, 10:30 PM
i hated roseanne until i started hanging out with kids in families as fucked up as theirs.

was my family.

only without the father figure, brother, sister, aunt, aunts boyfriends, or grandma.

basically just roseanne and darlene. and my mom was a way bigger bitch than roseanne.

Thaniel Buckner
12-28-2008, 10:34 PM
i'm not saying my mom wasn't crazy. just not crazy like roseanne.

slunken
01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
his heart attack was during Darlenes wedding , right?

Yes.

how long was the show a dream sequence? what a fuckin cop out

It all started when Dan built the writing room for Rosie, which was the end of season 2. So, everything from season 3 and forward is suspect to her writing abstraction.

everything from winning the lottery forward is supposed to be a dream

Not a dream. Just what Rosie was writing about. See above.

Eulogy
01-29-2010, 09:29 PM
i had no idea this show was so fucked up

Catherine Wheel
01-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Sara Gilbert (Darlene) is gay in real life. That really blew my mind.

hnibos
01-29-2010, 11:57 PM
who cares

Elvis The Fat Years
01-30-2010, 12:06 AM
i had no idea this show was so fucked up

no shit. it's like a kubrick movie.

slunken
01-30-2010, 12:13 AM

And she's got kids w/ another chick.

reprise85
02-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Whole show is on Netflix. #binge

reprise85
02-11-2015, 10:43 PM
also i cant believe this thread is 6 years old

yo soy el mejor
02-11-2015, 11:10 PM

this is the best

nobody loves me

:rofl:

Trotskilicious
02-11-2015, 11:13 PM

lol are you serious

Trotskilicious
02-11-2015, 11:14 PM
that was like nathan lane coming out of the closet

"well we hoped you knew"

ilikeplanets
02-11-2015, 11:23 PM
i fucking love this show. i used to watch it for hours in the early morning crashing

reprise85
02-11-2015, 11:27 PM
it may be the only sitcom that makes me laugh every episode

Elphenor
02-11-2015, 11:30 PM
I had a big crush on Sara Gilbert as a teenager watching this show

Jerry's Ray
02-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Roseanne's an amazing show and even though the last season is generally loathed by the fans, I love it and love the balls she had to gloriously jump the shark in the way she did...

Or did she...?

I watched a lot of Roseanne interviews where she talks about the show and the last season and I think people missed the point of that season. It's probably her most relevant and most reflective of her life.

The whole point of Roseanne was that it was about "roseanne"; essentially telling her life in sitcom form. She changed things of course, but a lot of it stayed true to her personal experiences. She fought a lot with the producers to get things to be accurate- like she actually wanted the "Dan leaving Roseanne for another woman" to happen around the second season and dan was meant to be written out. The producers said no because goodman was so well loved and it was out of character for him to do something like that. (This was Reflective of her own life where her first husband did the same thing to her.) but she managed to get that plot point across in the last season and wrote it in such a way that didn't betray his character; (essentially that as Dan was dead, and she had been writing what we saw, she wrote him as this unfaithful asshole because she was resentful and upset that he died and left her alone.)

Season 9 was actually very intimate to me and people didn't get that that was what her life had become. In her real life, she did become a multi millionaire from her show and her life became chaotic and crazy; just as she herself became chaotic and crazy. She makes no secret that she suffered from delusions and mental illness and the show reflected these aspects of her life and in doing so, "jumped the shark" because no one could relate to her anymore. There aren't many cases where the "great american battler" wins a fortune and starts going on crazy adventures with the gals from absolutely fabulous or saving a train from terrorists Rambo style! :D

I really loved her for showing that part of her life. The ending was sad, yes... I hated the idea that Dan had been dead for an entire season and I didn't like how she tells that she had been writing the show differently to what the reality was (like Jackie being the gay one, not her mom and Darlene and beckys boyfriends being the wrong way around) but that was the truth of her real life, and she was finally being honest and straightforward after a year of chaos and hijinks... Bravo!

The Omega Concern
02-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Comic Roseanne Barr jumps into UC Davis fray, says she hopes campus ‘gets nuked’ (http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article9771911.html#storylink=cpy)

“I hope all the jews leave UC Davis & then it gets nuked...”

She's always so direct with her opinions. I do like her for that.

vixnix
02-12-2015, 06:06 PM
I had a crush in Johnny Galecki in the 90s

I used to love this show. But I saw one episode from the last season and it totally skeeved me out and tainted my memory of it forever...

reprise85
02-12-2015, 08:36 PM
My God, he has a good opinion about something!

reprise85
02-12-2015, 08:37 PM
I had a crush in Johnny Galecki in the 90s

I used to love this show. But I saw one episode from the last season and it totally skeeved me out and tainted my memory of it forever...

watching from the beginning has been really awesome. I've even seen a couple episode I don't remember at all.

vixnix
02-12-2015, 11:01 PM
It might have to be done...plus my kids are 9 and 6 now, so they 're probably ready..

fuzzyroes
02-13-2015, 01:45 AM
Rosannes pretty funny, but it was kinda weak how she went so overboard with all of the plastic surgery. She all of the sudden looked like a completely different person on the show... It was weird.

mpp
02-15-2015, 09:02 PM
I love Roseanne. I admit it. But what was with the last episode?

It started out as an unbelievably good show, very SP-like.

It went down hill over time, perhaps due to Tom Arnold being one of the biggest assholes in the history of the universe.

Anyway, the last 2 or 3 seasons were epic dogshit. The last episode is the creme de la creme. Total bullshit.

The saddest thing about it is that I think the last 2 or 3 seasons tarnish the show's legacy. It was a brilliant show WAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of its time.

reprise85
02-16-2015, 02:51 AM
Aw, Netflix only has a "collection" of episodes, which turns out to be season 1 and 2 and a few eps of season 3. Other ways to watch of course, and I probably will be. I'm at the beginning of season 2 I think? Where Jackie just left for the police academy. I didn't realize how many first season episodes I hadn't seen or don't remember.

Starla
02-16-2015, 03:48 AM
I love this show... been reliving it on netflix the past month. I need a Dan Connor in my life. I hope they're going to add all of the seasons.

Starla
02-16-2015, 03:49 AM
Aw, Netflix only has a "collection" of episodes, which turns out to be season 1 and 2 and a few eps of season 3. Other ways to watch of course, and I probably will be. I'm at the beginning of season 2 I think? Where Jackie just left for the police academy. I didn't realize how many first season episodes I hadn't seen or don't remember.

It gets crazy when they won the lottery.. I need to see that one again.

christian zombie vampires
02-16-2015, 03:58 AM
Roseanne's an amazing show and even though the last season is generally loathed by the fans, I love it and love the balls she had to gloriously jump the shark in the way she did...

Or did she...?

I watched a lot of Roseanne interviews where she talks about the show and the last season and I think people missed the point of that season. It's probably her most relevant and most reflective of her life.

The whole point of Roseanne was that it was about "roseanne"; essentially telling her life in sitcom form. She changed things of course, but a lot of it stayed true to her personal experiences. She fought a lot with the producers to get things to be accurate- like she actually wanted the "Dan leaving Roseanne for another woman" to happen around the second season and dan was meant to be written out. The producers said no because goodman was so well loved and it was out of character for him to do something like that. (This was Reflective of her own life where her first husband did the same thing to her.) but she managed to get that plot point across in the last season and wrote it in such a way that didn't betray his character; (essentially that as Dan was dead, and she had been writing what we saw, she wrote him as this unfaithful asshole because she was resentful and upset that he died and left her alone.)

Season 9 was actually very intimate to me and people didn't get that that was what her life had become. In her real life, she did become a multi millionaire from her show and her life became chaotic and crazy; just as she herself became chaotic and crazy. She makes no secret that she suffered from delusions and mental illness and the show reflected these aspects of her life and in doing so, "jumped the shark" because no one could relate to her anymore. There aren't many cases where the "great american battler" wins a fortune and starts going on crazy adventures with the gals from absolutely fabulous or saving a train from terrorists Rambo style! :D

I really loved her for showing that part of her life. The ending was sad, yes... I hated the idea that Dan had been dead for an entire season and I didn't like how she tells that she had been writing the show differently to what the reality was (like Jackie being the gay one, not her mom and Darlene and beckys boyfriends being the wrong way around) but that was the truth of her real life, and she was finally being honest and straightforward after a year of chaos and hijinks... Bravo!

I really appreciated this. it always seemed obvious the last season was more than just jumping the shark and at least one metaphor was going on and thats a pretty good interpretation. Always found it fascinating, I don't think there is another example of an entire cast of a hit show being forced to act in a season-long absurd/experimental detour. after 8 awesome seasons it takes nothing away.

Best show of the 90s after Simpsons & Seinfeld easily

reprise85
02-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Yeah that's a great analysis.

Jerry's Ray
02-16-2015, 09:19 AM
:blush: :blush: :love:

ilikeplanets
02-16-2015, 05:00 PM
also i cant believe this thread is 6 years old

god damn i am so tempted but my husband will fucking HATE me

ilikeplanets
02-16-2015, 05:01 PM
wtf did i quote. i tried to quote the binge watching thing.....i am tempted to watch it ALLLLL

ilikeplanets
02-16-2015, 05:03 PM
also, I've always hated the last season until that explanation, Jerry's Ray. I never thought about how getting rich and famous would affect the atmosphere of the show...I still thought the ending could have been WAY stronger but at least it almost makes sense now

reprise85
02-16-2015, 11:34 PM
del

reprise85
02-16-2015, 11:35 PM
its only like 60 episodes or something, first 2 seasons plus a couple from season 3

Jerry's Ray
02-17-2015, 04:09 AM
also, I've always hated the last season until that explanation, Jerry's Ray. I never thought about how getting rich and famous would affect the atmosphere of the show...I still thought the ending could have been WAY stronger but at least it almost makes sense now

In some ways, I don't think she went far enough. Like, how they win 108 mil yet they only slightly renovate their old house? I never bought that. She should have done what she did in real life. If she lived in a mansion, then buy one for the Connors. Or for example, she currently lives on a nut farm in Hawaii. That would have made for fantastic hijinks on the show and been true to her life (I don't know how long shes been there for though, she probably had a completely different lifestyle 20 odd years ago...) She recently tried to make a reality show of her nut farm but it only lasted 16 episodes.

I think she should have made it a "Roseanne 2" sitcom instead of a reality show.
Bring the show back and make it that the Connors bought a nut farm in Hawaii... Im sure she's got plenty of more stories to tell. Imagine Darlene on a nut farm... :rofl:

Jerry's Ray
02-17-2015, 04:27 AM
ps this is adorable.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6EPYiOL5RMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slunken
02-17-2015, 08:56 AM
I thought original Becky was some crazy fortune teller meth head

D.
02-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Along with Seinfeld and Married With Children, Saved By the Bell, and Golden Girls, Roseanne was formative to my teen years and these 5 remain shows I can watch over and over and at any time.
Living in a strict Baptist house, we were given surprisingly free reign with the TV, which in turn helped me to be compassionate and open minded - something I never would have been exposed to otherwise. Roseanne is where I learned about gay people, transgender, domestic abuse (although IRL there was a little bit), etc.

D.
02-17-2015, 11:55 AM
The only other shows that I can even put close to these five are Curb Your Enthusiasm and King of Queens - both came later when I was older and i love them for different reasonsbut I'd put them up there as two more of my all time favorites.

slunken
02-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Fuck yes King of queens. Best sitcom in ages.

D.
02-17-2015, 12:12 PM
K&Q gets a lot of shit and calls of formulaic writing etc which I won't disagree with but there are some things and situations and conversations that happen on that show that have literally mirrored B & I that it is eerie as hell.

Can't tell if you really meant that post or if you're being sarcastic tho. :o

D.
02-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Also, while I too enjoyed Simpsons in the 90's, Rockos Modern Life and Daria spoke to me wayyyy more and I laughed at those10x more. But I bet Simpsons holds up better than Rocko.
I have all the Rockos on DVD ripped from TV that I bought online yearssss ago but I haven't really sat down with it to go through them. I also have all the Daria episodes on DVD I bought at a comic convention that we went to as a lark/nostalgia trip. My bro and I used to be heavy into comic books in the 90's.

fuzzyroes
02-18-2015, 05:34 AM
K&Q gets a lot of shit and calls of formulaic writing etc which I won't disagree with but there are some things and situations and conversations that happen on that show that have literally mirrored B & I that it is eerie as hell.

King of Queens is great. My favorite episodes are the ones where Bryan Cranston guest-stars, He swindles Doug into some water-filter scam... Priceless.

Trotskilicious
02-18-2015, 05:55 AM
king of queens really

Trotskilicious
02-18-2015, 05:56 AM
goddamnit

slunken
02-18-2015, 06:15 AM

Nah I love it. Fantastic and clever writing. I love how Doug lies all the time.

yo soy el mejor
02-18-2015, 08:14 AM
that was jodie sweetin who did meth and sold her granny's house

slunken
02-18-2015, 09:03 AM
that was jodie sweetin who did meth and sold her granny's house

i thought the same kind of things happened with original becky but i could be mistaken

slunken
02-18-2015, 09:08 AM
this is what i remember reading (similar) but no mention of drugs so i could be mistaken http://www.tmz.com/2008/07/25/roseannes-original-becky-misfortune-teller/

slunken
02-18-2015, 09:19 AM

just to expand a little more, i agree that the premise of the show is incredibly formulaic. to me, that's what makes the writing really shine. it's not so much the situations that the characters find themselves in that is funny, but the writing during and through and in between these situations.

it combines modern patton oswalt style comedy with traditional hollywood jerry stiller comedy. you have doug, the biggest cornball in the world, but then you also have his cousin who makes doug look cool by comparison. there's just something about the comedy balance in the show that works wonders for me.

slunken
02-18-2015, 09:25 AM
trivia- spence's mom (in later episodes) was played by jerry stiller's irl long-time wife. before that you can see her do some cameos in earlier seasons playing bit parts. that allowed them to do their traditional "comedy routines" together in the show. but her character was one that always loved arthur and he couldn't stand her. marvelous stuff.

im also reminded of the ep where doug has to roast his boss (amazing ep) and arthur tries to help him by making him watch old celebrity roasts and the comedy is so out of touch and doug hates it but i like how the show, at times, lets you know that its giving you a comedy history lesson via the show.

there's a line arthur has something like "and don't forget to do a foster brooks drunk routine - i remember a time when alcoholism was light-hearted humor" lolol